Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Janyne Kizer Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

Quick check in, mostly to note the fact that I have been having problems with my running shoe orthotics. My outide/little toe left foot (whatever the opposite of bunion is) got irritated during the marathon last month and every time that I run on it since then. I decided that it was my orthotics and I remembered that I have two pair. They are supposedly the same but I prefer the right orthotic of the pair that I generally use so I swapped left inserts in the hope that was the issue. Nope. If anything, that was worse.

Then I did a Bad Runner thing and started to run with the insoles that came with my shoes. No more issues. Much more comfortable. My plan is to do this for a month or so and re-evaluated. I am noting this here so that if I have problems in the future, we can reference this.

For my reference: Orthotics were by Todd Erbst who was with my ortho doc but Dr. Jones had an independent practice and is now in practice with other phsycians. I'd have to track down Todd if I wanted to stick with him, or else ask Mike, my current PT, for a recommendations.

• Options
    edited May 28, 2019 8:31PM

One week post IM 70.3 Chattanooga check-in, as instructed.

I see that I posted my orthotics info above. Last Thursday I had an appointment to the orthotics guy my PT suggested and I have brand spanking new orthotics. I've done a few dog runs in them and so far so good.

I've loaded up the two plans that you suggested for the Lake Logan Half so I'm good to go next week. I do have a few quick questions:

1. The Lake Logan Half has a very hilly bike course. I am switching to the Run Focused plan for the back half of the training. Does it make a difference that the bike is hilly?
    2. Looking into the more distant future, what marathon plan do you suggested after that? I did the Advanced Balance this spring. Do that again?

I hope that you get some nice weather in RI soon! Here in NC we managed to pretty much go from the upper 70s to the upper 90s and skip that whole middle part!

• Options

Thanks for the update Andrew Naperotic. I am so grateful that you are intentional with your decisions and have found a path forward.

It’s not easy to deal with these challenges in a rigorous way, but the outcome is almost always better than any kind of knee jerk reaction!

🎉 new orthotics for the win!! 🎈

Also glad you are checking in. I’m not so much worried that the course itself and silly as that race really happens on the run. I will encourage you to push the effort when you are writing on hills near you so you get used to doing work to become comfortable with being strong in the hills. You won’t race that same way, but it will give you familiarity with work and a reference point on your perceived exertion scale. Does that make sense?

Post race let’s talk about the marathon. I have been working on re-writing the plans and could probably use some of your input as well while you are in recovery.

• Options

Thanks, @Coach Patrick !

If you are not worried about the Lake Logan bike, then I won't worry about it either. I've done the race several times before and the bike will just require some concentration to try to not go to hard on the hills. You know how Western NC can be -- no flat spots. Best Bike Split has it about 15 minutes slower than the Chattanooga bike for me. Anyway, I'll move forward with the combination of HIM -Bike Focus and then HIM - Run Focus and then check back about what plan to use next.

Thanks for all of your help. The team resources have been great.

• Options

You got it! Remember, those types of courses give you opportunities to find speed as well. Since you know the layout you can probably do a good job of caring your momentum and down the hills into the Flats, which is critical. If the road goes up, you set up and shift so you can spin. When it levels out or drops down that’s your cue to get to work. That type of interval style piece in between recovery at work will help conserve some energy for the run too. Really excited to see how it goes for you.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2019 2:43PM

Howdy Coach! I hope that you are doing well!

This is my post half iron check in!

I did the Lake Logan half iron on August 3rd. My swim was fine — normal for me. My bike was OK. I’ve done the the bike and run both faster in the past. I really tried to dial in the power on this hilly course and had some issues regarding VI. NP was close to target but VI too high. On the run I think that I really misunderstood the HIM guidance. I mean by heart rate because I did that in May at the Chattanooga 70.3 and it worked really well for me. As turns out, I should have run by pace or power. My run was slower than I would have liked and slower than I think that I could have executed. I was overly focused on my heart rate. I should have been watching other metrics and been able to adjust my race plan as needed. I guess I needed the heart rate versus pace talk last week!

What I don't understand is my average heart rate was Z3? My average power was TRP? My average pace was Z1? That's so messed up!

I’d like to follow up with on using my Stryd for more than just data collection. I hate that I cannot set up workout on my Garmin using run power :-(

I’d also like to follow up with you on transitioning to a marathon plan. I’m feeling excited/nervous about the marathon. In the spring, I used the Advanced Balance plan. I see that the 2019 plans are up. After these two weeks of HIM recovery plan, I’ll be starting a marathon plan in week 10 (gulp). What plan do you suggest? Also, do you recommend any modifications since I’m not starting at the very beginning of the plan?

Finally, since the St. George marathon is a net downhill (I understand there is are a few uphill miles near Veyo mid race miles 7-12 or so), is there any specific training that I should do to prepare for that? If I remember correctly, there was not a lot of hill running in the marathon plan. That resulted in my doing a lot of my weekend runs on the American Tobacco Trail (pretty flat) rather than in Umstead Park (hilly) to meet the pace requirements listed in the training plan. For a flat course, this seemed fine but maybe I need to change things up for St. George?

(Meanwhile, my husband is drooling over mountain bike trails in the St. George area)

So…

• Using the Stryd??? 
    • Selecting a marathon plan
    • Any marathon plan modifications due to late entry into plan
    • Prepping for net downhill races

As for other things on my horizon:

• October 5 - Racecation event - St. George marathon
    • November 2 - Relay
    • RDP/OS
    • February - Tour de Sufferlandria
    • March 2020- Half marathon TBD << as part of the OutSeason
    • April 4 - Assault on the Carolinas ride ???
    • May 17 - IM 70.3 Chattanooga

• Options

@Janyne Kizer I think our best bet is to do a phone call at this point? Otherwise I will lose 90 minutes of my life trying to type into this tiny box on my phone to get you answers that you will invariably have questions too. Can we set up a call for next week? You can use my calendar online using the link below, or text me and give me other options if none of those work for you: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• Options

@Coach Patrick , I set up a call for the 20th. Your availability this Thursday doesn't work for me. If something comes open this Tuesday, the 13th, please let me know. My marathon plan should start on the 19th. I'll make up something for those first few days until we can talk.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 7:24PM

Helpful for downhill stuff

• Plyometrics
    • Yoga
    • Wall Sits, single leg, 10 minutes total
    • When running downhill, be sure to lean into it. Strike under body. Keep cadence high -- probably higher than regular long runs.

Level 2 marathon plan

Be mindful of recovery.

• Use recovery boots for anything over an hour
    • Continue to stretch/foam roll.
    • Eat well

Modifications: 14 this week, 16 next week, 18 the week after. All the runs matter. Add in some dog runs as you can. Plan to dog run on cross training days. Biking is OK for cross training on the marathon run focus plan. Aim for MP HR (145-154)

Do most/all of your runs outside. One day per week on the treadmill is OK.

I will try using Stryd for outdoor run workouts and see how it goes.

I'm thinking of replacing my 2013 Trek Domane road bike. Thanks for the electronic shifting talk!

P.S. I submitted a quick race report for Lake Logan.

P.P.S. Next time I'll give you my office phone rather than my cell phone!

• Options

Here are my notes....great call!

Map is here. Elevation is here.

Intensity:

• Prioritize the power work / stryd vs pace and HR (unless inside) so we can use this as a chance to get better / smarter about your true running ability.

Recovery:

• Air Relax On days with any runs over an hour.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2019 11:51AM

Howdy Coach!

I wanted to quickly touch base with you about my upcoming events and training plans. Things are winding down and would like to make sure that I am in the correct Outseason group.

From what you have said, I am guessing that I should join the first outseason -- Team Let's Do This? Added spring cycling to get ready for events that I hope to ride before Chattanooga 70.3? Also, I am not sure what focus you have in mind for me. I have been with EN for one year but this will be my first OS.

I have a relay on November 2. It should be 16-18 miles at M pace or so assuming the whole team is healthy. We are running from Asheville to Cherokee, NC. (Join the OS after the relay?)

I’d like to do the Assault on the Carolinas ride on April 4 (if I get in). The Assault on the Carolinas is a difficult early season ride in Brevard, NC with a few 15% grade sections and the six mile Caesar’s Head climb in SC. This sounds to me like a good excuse to upgrade my road bike (as we discussed in August). https://ww.assaultonthecarolinas.com/.

I’m not sure what else I want to do in 2020. I really enjoyed the St. George Marathon and would not mind doing that again or perhaps another fall marathon. Or else a lot of riding on the road bike that I hope to purchase? Maybe a few mountain rides in the summer and then change things up an go for a full marathon in the fall? At any rate, I don't have any firm plans after the Chattanooga 70.3.

Nov 2 - Land and Sky Relay

April 4 - Assault on the Carolinas (65 miles, 3500 ft climbing)

May 17 - Chattanooga 70.3 (A)

Possibly more cycling events - BSG, etc.

Then possibly a fall marathon?

Maybe some mountain ride here? Blood Sweat and Gears on June 27 (6 weeks post HIM)? If I want to do BSG, I'll need to figure out the opening date to be sure that I get in!

Maybe a fall marathon?

• Options

Hey, thank you again for such a well written post. I think if I was half as organized as you this team will be full of world champions!

Based off of what we are saying, that it is your first out season, I would like you to do the bike version. I choose this one because you just did a marathon and have plenty of running inside your legs. That’s not an area for development right now but building the bike could lead to an improvement for next season. So let’s start there.

Hey, thank you again for such a well written post. I think if I was half as organized as you this team will be full of world champions! Based off of what we are saying, that it is your first out season, I would like you to do the bike version. I choose this one because you just did a marathon and have plenty of running inside your legs. That’s not an area for development right now but building the bike could lead to an improvement for next season. So let’s start there.

I agree with you on upgrading the road bike, assuming that works with your budget. And yes, finding some cycling events that fit around Chattanooga will be helpful. All of that cycling will simply make you a better triathlete. I thought Marathon could certainly work for you especially if you’re looking to improve off of what you just did. At the same time, you might want to keep the file open for a second 70.3 in the event that you want to have another go with the distance with Improved Mike Fitness.

So I say we like in the season through June but we keep the rest of the year open for now.

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 5:10PM

So bike focused outseason joining the October 28th (fun) group already in progress or joining the December 2nd group? 😉

• Options

October... Let’s Do This is OCT. 👍

• Options

Coach, I need some advice and I owe you a 2019 year in review

Advice that I need -- I am in the November Outseason now and a few weeks ago, my right outer hip and right inner knee started to badly misbehave. I stupidly ran it it 2-3 times after I noticed the first niggles and made a PT appointment. The root cause seems to be an angry TFL and I'm making good progress *but* I haven't had a real run since December 18th. I was quickly cleared to ride my bike so I've done quite a bit of riding since then. I was cleared to hike and if hiking is no problem, to try running again. I hiked on Saturday (Jan 4) and then ran about a mile for a test the next day. The test was not awful but things are still not right. Getting close but not there yet.

Regarding the angry TFL, I am wondering if the issue was that I felt fine after the marathon in October and did not get any bodywork until this cropped up in December. Given that the marathon was downhill and it is downhills that are bothering me at the moment, I wonder if I angered it in October and it didn't get super unhappy until mid out season? It could be that I need to get bodywork after events whether I think that I need it or not. This is not the first time that something cropped off a month or two after an event. Overall, I need to learn to be better about listening to my body.

I am super disappointed in having to set aside my run after all that hard work :-/

So...

• Continue to do PT and bike and add bike work in place of run as needed? I will update this thread if my PT had any comments regarding training when I see him on Wednesday, Jan 8.
    • Slowly add run back (advice on how, if possible)
    • What training plan to follow after the end of NOS

NOS ends February 2 and my next events are:

• Feb 15 half marathon (I realize that this may be a no go)
    • April 4 Assault on the Carolinas 100k ride
    • May 17 IM 70.3 Chattanooga
    • not sure what comes next

I'm posting my 2019 year in review next.

• Options

Endurance Nation Year End Report

Athlete Name:  Janyne Kizer        Date Completed:  12/31/2019

Year of Report: 2019            Age as of Dec 31: 52

Height:  5’8”                  Best Body Composition (#):  134

Body Comp Ratio (Weight in LBS ÷ Height in Inches):      

Best: 134/68=1.97

Current:  135/68=1.99

I was 130 when I BQ’d, that’s 1.91

Average Hours Sleep per Night: 7.7 (week of Jan 6, 2019 through week of Jan 5, 2020)

KEY RACES & RESULTS

Myrtle Beach Marathon (run) - Overall Time: 4:34:55, 11/34 AG

March 2: This event did not go well. I felt good about the event going into the race. Training went well. I enjoyed the training and was nailing the workouts, especially in the last month. In terms of training, I had the volume, the consistency and the speed work.

I had my plan and I felt like I could execute it but in the end, that did not happen. My brain said legs, go faster and my legs gave me the middle finger. I'm just really disappointed in myself. Slowest marathon I’ve ever run. Disappointing.

IM 70.3 Chattanooga  (tri) - Overall Time: 6:02:41, 40/156 AG

May 19: This was my first time at this event although I’d previously done the full twice. Swim was shortened due to too much current on the upstream section. The bike and run went well. 

Lake Logan Half  (tri) - Overall Time: 6:45, 5/14 AG

August 3 - Disappointing. I think that maybe this is not the course for me, especially now that the event is getting smaller and smaller and starting to feel lonely. 

St. George Marathon  (run) - Overall Time: 4:11:10, 40/127 AG

October 5. This ended up on my calendar as a racecation event. My husband is a mountain biker and this summer, he did a trip to ride the Grand Canyon rim trail. He wanted to ride in St. George when he was on that trip but the trip was in June and his research indicated that was a terrible time to ride in the Mojave desert -- just too hot. He asked me if there were any events in that area that I wanted to do and I signed up for this. My goal was to have fun and finish within 4:15.  Fun!

DISCIPLINE INFORMATION

Discipline 1: Run  

Annual Distance:  1560 (2018: 1138)

Annual Duration: 247 (2018: 184:06 hrs)      

Weekly Avg: 30 miles / 4.76 hours per week          

Peak Month: September - 228 miles             

Peak Week: September 8 - 68.42 miles            

Discipline 2: Bike  

Annual Distance: 3236 (2018: 3715 miles)

Annual Duration: 190 (2018: 222h 26m)      

Weekly Avg: 62.3 miles / 3.65 hours per week               

Peak Month:   June- 521 miles     

Peak Week:  Week of December 29 - 180 (and a few weeks at about 150 in June)

Discipline 3: Swim  

Annual Distance: 125,364 (2018: 273,031 yards)

Annual Duration: 49h (2018: 106h 51m)      

SEASON TRENDS INFORMATION

Insert Image of Season Trend Chart (All Sports)

2019 season below

Run 2014-2019 (below)

2019 - 1560

2018 - 1140

2017 - 1004

2016 - 1515 (includes Boston build)

2015 - 1250 (BQ at Shamrock in March)

2014 - 951 (shoulder surgery in Sept so no winter running)

I would like to BQ again but right now, enjoying the run is enough. I would like to continue to participate in half marathons, marathons and maybe even beyond.

Bike 2014-2018 (below)

2019 - 3236 not bad with two marathons and zero Ironman builts

2018 - 3721 << this is more like it. 2016-17 was not the volume that I wanted

2017 - 3208

2016 - 3055 (probably low due to Boston build)

2015 - 3545

2014 - 4351 (shoulder surgery in Sept so no winter running). This is also where all of the transition from single sport cyclist (centuries, 100k group rides all the time, etc.) to triathlete seems to have become complete. I used to be a much better cyclist. I’d like to be a better cyclist again.

Swim 

Between the end of my tri season in August, my marathon build and race in October, and the outseason, I have not been in the pool since August. I have not missed it.  Maybe my calling is to be a duathlete? Sadly, duathlon is not much of a “thing” in my part of the country.

Season Trend Section Question and Answer

How did the trends of your data play out across a season?

My run volume increased across the season with some nice event-specific volume in advance of the St. George marathon in October.  Bike volume increased by event and I have been enjoying the outseason volume build.

Were there any interruptions to your training? Setbacks?

TFL issues in my right hip sidelined my run at the end of December.  I hope to begin my return to run by mid January.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2020 2:06PM

Here is the PT update that I mentioned yesterday:

• Return to run plan ok (but no intervals just yet)
    • Work on glute max strength, specifically right glute max transition to left. Suggestions appreciated.

Otherwise

• Continue with PT exercises
    • Yoga hip openers routine (not aggressive into poses)

Also, I still plan to buy a new road bike in February (for use in Assault on the Carolinas in April and other cycling events beyond) so I'll be wanting to get outside to actually use my new steed 😀

P.S. I saw the re-entry program in the wiki and FinalSurge. I will try one tonight (1/13) and see how it goes. What I mean is, this was not a major thing I don't think and from what my PT said, and I don't think that I need eight weeks of re-entry but some sort of plan. I also really need some glute max transition to left exercise suggestions.

In addition, I also need the what-to-do after NOS ends 2/2.

What I think that I heard you say is:

• HIM plan ENDING ON 5/17 (run focused due to the OS being bike focused or bike focused due to the Assault on the Carolinas ride 4/4?)
    • Prep plan BEGINNING on 2/3 (ending when HIM plan begins -- so the first 2-3 weeks of the Prep plan)

P.P.S. 9 min run/4 min walk last night seemed OK. I will continue with that this week and add the strength exercises that you recommend.

Another question that I have is should I be "making up" time that I am not running? I've been added rides left and ride to get the total time to somewhat match what it would have been if my glute hadn't acted up.

• Options

Hey thanks for the text message and sorry for the delay in following up. I have been in training plan riding home, and I’m now officially taking a break before I write the rest of them.

yes, I would expect you to transition to the half plan towards the Carolinas but you do have some flexibility. I want to protect your running form while we make the transition so it’s possible you want to use the “prep plan“ first as a bridge. It is four weeks and we can use that for a few. I would probably start there.

Once you are through that plan we can put the remainder of the “regular” bike focused half plan to end on Blue Ridge. And do the other bike ride along the way.

Yes You can fill the time you are not running with extra cycling time at approximately the same heart rate that you would normally run out. The aerobic time adds up even if it’s not muscularly specific.

~ Coach P

• Options

This sounds good. I have loaded the first three weeks of the HIM Prep plan. That will take me to 12-weeks from the Chattanooga 70.3 and I will go from there.

It sounds like the Bike Focused HIM plan is the way to go. I'll check in again towards the end of the prep plan to confirm.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 8:38PM

I saw my PT today and he said that by glute max transition to left exercise he meant that I should be working all of the planes of motion. He said some example are single leg deadlifts and stuff with resistance bands at the knees (not ankles) so I think that the Functional Strength section will work. IF you have any additional thoughts, please send them my way.

He also said that if you have any questions, he'd be happy to talk to you via email: Mike Vita (mike@smartathletept.com), Smart Athlete PT

• Options
    edited February 3, 2020 2:20PM

I'm starting to feel really stressed out about this situation. I haven't been able to run properly for six weeks - - since mid December - - and I'm getting more and more concerned. I really need to get back to running regularly this month or the Chattanooga 70.3 in May could really be in trouble. I understand that you cannot put a timeline on these things but it's very concerning.

I have been doing PT exercises and hip strength stuff six days a week and yoga/stretching three days a week.

I successfully completed two weeks of return-to-run run-walk work -- 9 run/r walk for the first week and 10 run/3 walk for the second week. I felt very good. I then did a short run (1.75 mile) with Zoe on 1/26 and that also went well so I did another short run (2.5 mile on 1/27) with her and that went even better. I thought that I'd turned the corner. I ran on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday while my bike was in the shop. -- thinking in terms of adding frequency rather than longer mileage.

• Wednesday's was 4 miles. It was at an easy pace and it went well.
    • On Thursday, I ran 3 miles and that was OK. I felt good about it but I also felt smart for stopping at 3 miles.
    • On Friday, I ran with Zoe again. We went 3 miles but that last mile didn't go so well.

Since them the inner part of my knee has felt "bruised" and the lower part of my "adductor" (the half toward the knee) has felt exceptionally taught. I tried foam rolling it and that seemed to irritate it further.

Yesterday, I was feeling very frustrated and worried and kind of down about the whole thing. I am starting to feel pressured by my looming half ironman to get this resolved and I don't know what else I should be doing. If I talk to you, you ask what my PT says. If I talk to my PT, he asks what you say. I just want to be able to run again.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer I think we should talk on the phone or discord. I can do today (Friday) between 1-3p while I am on le zwift. Text me around lunch time and we will sort out the timing.

Knees and hips are really , really tricky. I have always been cautious with them, and given the fact we have an internet relationship I defer to your local health care folks to sort out the cause and next best action.

I hear you say glutes, and now we are talking adductor. Obviously not connected or co-located. The fact you could do short runs was encouraging, but three days of short running (with rest) giving you more pain is concerning.

That said, I am happy to be your whipping post for injury anger. Bring it on!

When we talk...

• Have you changed your shoes at all?
    • Any other recent changes that might be contributing? (now riding tt bike only on zwift, new bike seat or fit, new chair at work, suddenly driving 8 hours a day)
    • Do you wear orthotics?
    • Is there an indoor vs outdoor difference with running discomfort?
    • Any history of issues, especially during last year's "epic" running focus?

You can cycle and stay fit. You are still in the grey zone for CHOO in terms of doing it, but I agree that racing it is looking less likely.

Onwards...

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick , I'm on the road for work today. Maybe we can talk next week. I see my PT again on Monday around noon.

• Options

What I would like to do, is try to fix my runner this month. If I can resume regular run training, then I would like to do the Chattanooga 70.3 on May 17. This was meant to be my A race of the year.

If my leg hasn't improved to that point by the end of this month, I understand that we will have to pull the plug on that event. In that case, I would like to pivot and focus on cycling events this spring while continuing to work on getting my run back so that I can do some running events this fall.

• Have you changed your shoes at all? My first run in my current pair of shoes was Nov. 22. The issues started Dec 14th. (Same brand and model but a new pair)
    • Any other recent changes that might be contributing? (now riding tt bike only on zwift, new bike seat or fit, new chair at work, suddenly driving 8 hours a day) I was on run focus until the first week of November. Then I added the bike back in. So roughly six weeks of riding before issues started to crop up.
    • Is there an indoor vs outdoor difference with running discomfort? No, although I have not run on the treadmill at all since December 18th. I remember when I had ITBS, my PT said no treadmills until things were healed up.
    • Any history of issues, especially during last year's "epic" running focus? Last running issues was the ITBS in 2017.

P.S. To clarify, as I understand it the issue is the right glues are weak and causing additional torque on the inner knee and adductor.

• Options

Thanks for the background...it really helps. Text me and we can set up a time for this week: (617) 513-3830

• Options

I'll check in next week when I have more to say.

Oh, and I've contacted my bike fitter to see if that's contributing.

• Options

Sounds good! I know how incredibly frustrating this can be. Especially with the race on the horizon but this is an important problem to solve, lots of good will come out of figuring out what the problem is. I am standing by.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2020 12:38PM

Today I saw my ortho and had my bike fit.

The ortho did and exam and took x-rays. Nothing notable on the xrays. He said to continue with my PT but it's been long enough that an MRI is warranted, if only to better direct the PT treatments. So they are getting insurance approval for the MRI and that should happen next week.

The bike fit went well (on my road bike). He kept my saddle height the same but moved it back maybe a centimeter as my knee was in front of my pedals and not even with my pedals. He said that would put me in a more neutral position and allow recruitment of hams, quads, and glutes. My PT was concerned that I was maybe quad dominant.

Update: I felt a little bit stretched out on the bike the first 10-15 minutes but then everything seemed fine -- except when I stood up and sat down and missed the saddle (ouch!).