Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Janyne Kizer Official Coach Thread

edited February 8, 2019 9:47PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

@Janyne Kizer --

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Okay...finally done for you! I have set up your Run Durability Program plans as listed below, but I took off the first week of the first block as you are still recovering!!! We can ease back into these, the key is that you take the time to do the math on the mileage we want to start with. You can learn more on the Run Durability Program section; there's a calculator there!

When we talk we can do more to sort out the mileage and the cross training for you, but it's pretty straightforward after all that IM training!!! 🤣 Please set up a call with me for when I get back so I can help you out -- https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• 03/02/2018 Myrtle Beach Marathon
  • 05/19/2019 70.3 Chattanooga
  • 8/13/2019 Lake Logan Half

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 7, 2018

• On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
  • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
  • On 12/31/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 3/3/2019
  • On 3/4/2019 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 3/17/2019
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the Bike Focus EN*Half to end on 5/19/2019
  • On 5/20/2019 Load the Post HALF plan to end on 06/03/2019
  • On 6/3/2019  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/14/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 6/30/2019 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 8/11/2019
  • On 8/12/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/25/2019
  • On 8/26/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/22/2019

Your Notes

I completed IM Chattanooga last week. I'd like to transition into run durability and train for a spring marathon. From there, I am thinking of doing 2-3 half ironman events in 2019. I'm putting the marathon as my A race but honestly, I'll probably have a half iron event that I'll want to focus on as well.

2018 =====

Cary Du Classic Long Course and Short Course (1:44)

Kinetic Half (6:18)

Race 13.1 Raleigh - Spring (2:01)

Lake Logan Half (6:34)

White Lake Fall International Triathlon (03:10:18)

Ironman Chattanooga (11:25:47) - no swim

2017 =====

Goldsboro Heart & Sole Half Marathon (1:54)

Shamrock Marathon (4:01:56)

Cary Long Course Duathlon (3:14)

Lake Logan Half (6:09)

YMCA Wrightsville Beach Sprint Triathlon (01:33:56)

Ironman Louisville (13:29)

2016 =====

Run Crystal Coast half (1:50)

Ella's Race 10k (53:47)

Boston Marathon (4:17)

Cary Long Course Duathlon (3:06)

Race 13.1 Raleigh - Spring (1:59)

Lake Logan Half (6:22)

ronman Chattanooga (13:50)

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k

2015 =====

Commitment Day 5k (24:44)

Myrtle Beach Half Marathon (1:52)

Shamrock Marathon (3:49:30> << Current PR

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (1:49)

White Lake Spring International Triathlon (3:08)

Full Vineman Triathlon (13:36)

Atomic Man Triathlon (6:34)

Tuna Run 200 Relay

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k (29:29)

Jingle Bell Run 5k (24:28)

2014 =====

Myrtle Beach Marathon (4:04)

St Patrick's LoTide Run 10k (51:16

Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon (1:56)

Washington (NC) Olympic Triathlon (3:08)

Lake Logan Half (5:57)

crashed bike, unable to compete in IM Chattanooga, dislocated shoulder requiring surgery

Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon (just out of the sling from shoulder surgery)

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k

2013 =====

Myrtle Beach Marathon (3:59)

Gator Half Triathlon (6:01)

Kerr Lake Triathlon (3:01)

Lake Logan International Triathlon (2:51)

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon (12:54)

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k (39:37)

2012 =====

26.2 with Donna - Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer (4:21)

Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon (1:54)

Full Vineman Triathlon (13:24)

Wilmington YMCA Triathlon (1:36)

City of Oaks Half Marathon (1:57)

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k (39:44)

2011 =====

26.2 with Donna; The National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer (4:30) << first marathon

Gator 1/2 Iron Triathlon (5:54)

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon (12:42) <<< first iron distance event

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k (41:30)

2010 =====

Walt Disney World Half Marathon (1:58) << first half marathon

Crystal Coast Half Marathon (1:57)

St. Patrick's Lo Tide Run 10k (52:47)

Inside Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam (3:17) << first triathlon

Lake Logan International Triathlon (3:05)

Wilmington YMCA Triathlon (1:39)

Beach to Battleship HIM (6:13)

Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k (42:26)

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

• Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited October 16, 2018 12:18PM

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I have been really excited about joining Endurance Nation!

• I assume that for the run programs, I can move the strength from Friday to Thursday as long as I get it done. Correct?
    • I wasn't quite sure how Endurance Nation worked and I should have mentioned that I have a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Again, I assume that I can rearrange the week to get this in?

Goals for 2019

• Love the sport again. The more consistent running will help. I would also like to regularly incorporate group rides. Here in NC we can ride outside most of the year.
    • Have a good marathon. I'd like to go sub-4. I'd really like to BQ (3:55). My stretch goal is 3:45.
    • I'm looking at three HIMs for 2019 -- Kinetic (or similar) in May, Lake Logan on August 4th, possibly Augusta in late September. I could be convinced to enter the lottery for the Chicago Marathon or do do a fall IM instead. I'm still thinking about the fall 2019 event(s). I could also be convinced to do the Austin Rattler (33k) run but it probably doesn't make a lot of sense with the rest of my plans. ;-)
    • I plan to do BikeMS Sept 7-8 (see group rides above)
    • I'm considering RAGBRAI for 2020. I'm mulling over if that would fit into a fall IM or not ;-)

Limiters

• For running, my biggest limiter is the IT Band injury that I had after Louisville last year. My 2018 run season was scrapped as a result. Boo! Sometimes, I feel like I'm still coming back from that. My paces have not fully recovered.
    • For triathlon, my biggest limiter is the swim. I learned to swim to do triathlon and I've never really "got it."

2019 Tentative

• I wouldn't mind a holiday 5k sometime in December
    • possible half marathon leading up to the full marathon? and/or Krispy Kreme Challenge Feb 2, 5 miler)
    • March 2 - Myrtle Beach Marathon
    • May 11 - Kinetic HIM (or IM Virginia of Choo 70.3) - date us a guess, 2019 event schedule is not yet out
    • June 1 - possible local fun half marathon (exact date TBD) - or RnR San Diego HM. I say that about San Diego every year though! I spoke with my husband and he is fine either way (local or San Diego) but he wants to do a racecation of RnR SD
    • I'd like to work in some 100k rides in here -- May - Sept are when most rides are done in my area
    • July 13 - Hot Doggett 100k - fun ride in the mountains with just shy of 7000 feet of climbing
    • August 3 - Lake Logan HIM (exact date TBD but it should be that weekend)
    • Sept 7-8 - Bike MS?
    • Sept TBD - Augusta 70.3?
    • I guess I'm undecided after Lake Logan. I want to do Bike MS but I feel like it fits better with a HIM than a running event. My husband is thinking that something like the St. George Marathon (it looks like registration opens April 1st) on October 5th would be a good plan. This was after I suggested RnR Vegas as a fun end of season something. Bike MS four weeks out from a marathon seems like a no go.

Summary

So I guess my real questions are:

• How to overlap plans to be ready for each race and allow an appropriate taper/recovery
    • Recommendations for getting the work done but fitting in some fun events (group rides, etc.) to get 'er done.
    • The importance of doing a workout on an exact day versus moving them around. I assume high priority ones should probably not be touched but low priority ones have more flexibility?
    • If I run an 8k race and want to use that time in the RDP, should I convert it to a 5k time using McMillian (or Daniels) and enter the 5k equivalent time in zone calculator?
    • My husband asked for me to find events, preferably running because it's easier to pack shoes than a bike, in the Portland (or Bend) or generally in the Pacific NW so if you have any recommendations... He is a mountain biker and would be happy to ride in Bend (or St. George or Vegas). He also said events in Santa Barbara would be at the top of his list. It would be good to keep him on board!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2018 12:41PM

Homework

Run Durability

Your Annual Distance: 741

Start Date: 2/3/2018

Today's Date: 10/8/2018

Number of Weeks: 35

Weekly Average: 21.0

=====

Run Durability Weekly Targets

Phase 1 (Weeks 1-4). 16.8

Phase 2 (Weeks 5-8). 21.0

Phase 3 (Weeks 9-12). 25.2

Pace calculations

I originally planned to do the run test but my legs have still felt heavy and slow. Clearly they are not quite recovered from Chattanooga. I ran a 5k on Labor Day and decided to go ahead and use that to calculate paces. I have a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and plan to use that a a retest.

Pace Zone

Threshold Pace: 8:42 min/mi Zone 1 / LRP / Easy 10:54 min/mi - 10:44 min/mi

TRP / Run Durability 10:09 min/mi - 9:59 min/mi

Zone 2 / MP / Steady 9:25 min/mi - 9:15 min/mi

Zone 3 / HMP / ModHard 9:07 min/mi - 8:57 min/mi

Zone 4 / TP / Hard 8:49 min/mi - 8:39 min/mi

Zone 5 / IP / Very Hard 8:22 min/mi - 8:12 min/mi

TRP is lower than I expected it to be. I'm sure that you hear that a lot! I think of easy as 9:30-10:00 This will be a big change to get my head around. I think it's one of those cases where Strava isn't a help -- you know, getting the ego out of the way -- and I wouldn't even consider myself a Type A Athlete!

• Options

@Janyne Kizer -

Great call today...thanks for your time!!! Here we go with yy answers…

1. Yes, you can move the strength from Friday to Thursday, no worries. You can drag/drop that workout on your laptop right in Final Surge. 

2. I cleared Thanksgiving for your 5k to work; yes adding smaller events like that is a no brainer. Simply ask me in the forums here and I can advise (or ask your Team as the Turkey Day race situation is pretty common!). 

3. Group rides can work no problem…we can replace our regular WKOs with those rides as needed. Only exception is when races get close you’ll have some specific workouts to do that we’ll want to emphasize.  Tuesday / Thursday shop clubs; Sunday is Bike MS group as well. 

4. All of your race options can work…it’s really up to you to prioritize the actual events so we can line up the year. All of the things are possible with enough time…even Bike MS after a marathon, really! I think you should line up the "you events" that fit your goals and the "couple events" that work for you and hubby and allow him to get in the epic MTB stuff he wants (or just road cycling) as well. 

5. Bend Events…so @Jenn Edwards did a Bend Camp in 2018; and could Point you to all manner of places. Her camp information is here: Bend, OR: Swim, Bike, Run, Shenanigans [WED June 13 to MON June 18, 2018] But you can just reply in that thread (or create a new one) to get more details.

@Gabe Peterson Did the Moab Camp which you might find super interesting: Adventures in the Red Rocks: EN Epic Moab Training Camp

If you can think it, the team can get you to do it!!!

~ Coach P

Ps let's set up another call for early November online here when you get a chance: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• Options
    edited November 12, 2018 3:40PM

Coach Patrick,

I added Chattanooga 70.3 to my 2019 schedule. Is there anything that you want to update at this time? Should I submit a new TSR to get it added to the database?

When we talked last month you asked me about myself and I said something about cross country in high school and college (Shippensburg in PA), "knee problem," (in retrospect, I think that it was probably ITBS and who knows how this was diagnosed and treated in 1986) stopped running and stopped paying attention and gained weight, lost weight and started riding, decided that I wanted to do an Ironman and then did seven of them. I failed to mention all non-sports stuff about myself!

I'm 50. I've lived in the Raleigh area since 1990. I've been married for 25 years. My husband's sport of choice at this time is mountain biking. He loves to got to the NC mountains and ride. He typically goes to Brevard and rides in Pisgah National Forest and Dupont State Park. When I got into tri, he was into white water kayaking and I got into the habit of "encouraging" him to leave town when I had a big training weekend on my schedule! Ha!

We have a 3 year old golden retriever named Zoe (and no two legged kids). I'd join him in the mountains more often but we'd need to board the Zoe (leaving a dog in a tent while we both ride bikes is a no go!) and we don't want to do that very often, plus I have my routes around here. Anyway, it works out for us.

I’ve worked at NC State University for over 20 years. I do computer support for NC State Extension, supporting offices in each of North Carolina’s 100 counties. I’ve been to most of the corners of the state!

2019 Events

• Maybe something fun or different to break up the marathon training a bit? I kind of wanted a half marathon in January but I couldn’t find anything very local to me and I’m not willing to break the bank for a half marathon that a training race, if the makes sense.
    • March 2 - Myrtle Beach Marathon (registered) ( GOAL: I'd like to go sub-4. I'd really like to BQ (3:55). My stretch goal is 3:45.)
    • April 13 ??? - Cary Du (short course) < if it fits into the plan. If this turns out to be a dumb idea, that's OK.
    • May 5 - Raven Rock Ramble 100k ride (possible) < would like this to fit into the plan
    • May 19 - IM 70.3 Chattanooga (registered)
    • June 1 - Race 13.1 Raleigh half marathon (possible)

Second half of the year has a lot yet to be determined. Here are my thoughts

• July - Hot Doggett 100k (likely)
    • August 3 - Lake Logan HIM (likely)
    • September - Bike MS (150-200 miles) (likely but negotiable, depending on how it fits with any events after this.)
    • October 5 - St. George Marathon (maybe). It depends on if I have fun in Myrtle Beach. Honestly, this is on the schedule because Kevin wants to mountain bike there! We did that once a long time ago. I was not impressed when he took me on "The Clavicles." I like my bones, thankyouverymuch. I said, "I could do RnR Vegas half marathon next November and this is what he came up with ;-) Anyway, if not this, then perhaps Augusta 70.3 or IM NC (have not done it since WTC became involved. It's been cursed since then, hasn't it?)
  • Options

Run Durability Weekly Targets

Phase 1 (Weeks 1-4). 16.8 (Actual 19.23 avg over three weeks)

Phase 2 (Weeks 5-8). 21.0

Phase 3 (Weeks 9-12). 25.2

• Options

@Janyne Kizer

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    edited November 12, 2018 4:12PM

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory, 2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 1 (not necessarily a fitness issue)
    • Bike Fitness: 2
    • Run Fitness: 2
    • Weight / Body Composition: 2 (would like to take of a few pounds before marathon. trying not to beat myself up about it too much)

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? No big breakthroughs. I was going to say consistency but I was following a plan consistently before EN, it just didn't have me running as often. I just came off IM Chattanooga and started the run durability program.
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? People need to talk in the forums more so that I can meet them :-)
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• Options

I don't feel like I need a call, I just want to touch base about a few things

• Submitting races (as the schedules come out and I register, etc.) I added Chattanooga 70.3 to my 2019 schedule. Is there anything that you want to update at this time? Should I submit a new TSR to get it added to the database? Also, how to add races not in the drop down box? (Lake Logan Half)
    • I'm feeling antsy so I must be recovered from Chattanooga. I’ve never done “run slow to get fast” before. This is kind of a leap of faith for me. Sometimes it’s hard to feel good about running ~10:00 minute miles and I worry about my goal race sometimes.
    • I know that I'll have decent weekly mileage heading into marathon training on December 31s. Just to confirm, I should jump in and o the last 9 weeks using Marathon [Balanced]. Nine weeks on that program is enough after the RDP1, RDP2 and RDP3, correct?
  • Options

@Janyne Kizer - thanks for your patience as I play catch-up from my time away and the holiday.

Yes, you should absolutely update your roadmap but you can check the box that says it doesn’t need to be brought to the coach his attention. You can simply tell me here and I will add it, it’s on my radar now. If you want to add a raise that’s not on the list, you just check the “other“ box and put in the race name that you have.

I understand the trust in the system can be challenging. I encourage you to talk to your teammates here who will reassure you that has been wildly effective. Unlikely there reassurances will be much more meaningful than mine! 😂

I think the last nine weeks of the program will be sufficient. The only modification we would have is making sure you have a nice long run in the 75 to 90 minute range once a week. We just need to balance the need for that against the fatigued you’re caring from last year. If you’re OK running that long on the weekends right now then go for it. If you’re not, feel free to combine the bike and run such that it’s good for time — just make sure your bike heart rate at bedtime matches the run heart rate that she would’ve been achieving outside on the open road, then you can brick the rest. That could potentially that you get up to two hours of consistent aerobic activity.

• Options

I went ahead and submitted Chattanooga 70.3 on May 19, 2019 via the form (the form lists it a week later, it gave me mild heart palpitations! I confirmed on the site that it's May 19th).

I can lengthen the long run so that the marathon plan is not a huge shock to the system ;-)

• Options

@Janyne Kizer _ I added CHOO to the 2019 plan, which has you doing the last 8 weeks of the plan...we'll work together to dial back the run in the plan since you'll have just done a marathon!!!!

~ Coach P

Ps thanks for the 70.3 Choo tip!

• Options

@Janyne Kizer

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Woohoo 3 months!!

• Options

Woo hoo! 😃

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 8:10PM

Happy New Year!

I've been working on my 2018 year end stuff with regards to training. I started to work on it about 10 days ago and decided that was silly. I waited until the last mile was logged before starting. (I'll add a link to a Google Doc with the fancy charts when I'm done). Once I'm done with all that, I'll post something about goals.

Guess what? My biggest run month of the year was December. It was the biggest by A LOT too! Run Durability for the WIN! Hopefully that has me ready for the marathon plan which I just started on Monday. gulp.

Discipline 1: Run  

Annual Distance:  1138

Annual Duration: 184:06         

Weekly Avg: 21.88 miles / 3.54 hours per week          

Peak Month: December - 170 miles           

Peak Week: December 17 - 41.73 miles            

Discipline 2: Bike  

Annual Distance: 3715 miles

Annual Duration: 222h 26m          

Weekly Avg: 71.4 miles / 4.27 hours per week               

Peak Month:   July - 550 miles   

Peak Week:  Week of August 20 - 149.27

Discipline 3: Swim  

Annual Distance: 273,031 yards

Annual Duration: 106h 51m     

Weekly Avg: 5250 yards / 2.05 hours per week

Peak Month: January 33,000 yards

Peak Week: Week of June 18 - 9,800 yards       

Discipline 4: Strength

Annual Duration: 53:31   

Weekly Avg: 61.75 minutes/week

Peak Month: December - 6.5 hours      

Discipline 5: PT

Annual Duration: ~41 hours   

Weekly Avg: 47 minutes/week

Peak Month: January 13.15 hours (it is not a coincidence that January was my biggest swim month and my biggest PT month as well)

Overall, I'd have to say that I'm not too pleased with the volume -- some areas were shockingly low.

---

Regarding current training, I started the marathon plan this week. I was on the fence about whether to load the intermediate or advanced plan. I went ahead and loaded the advanced one.

After the marathon, I'm scheduled to do the two week recovery plan and then dive right into bike focused HIM training for the Chattanooga 70.3 in May.

In other news, I got Zwift setup. My hangup there was that I have an older Mac desktop that was not really appropriate for Zwifting. I didn't really want to buy a laptop just to Zwift. I ended up getting an AppleTV and a NPE CABLE (to hook up the ANT+ devices) and it seems to work fine with my Kickr Snap. I don't really like the AppleTV remove but what can you do? The next step will be getting Discord setup which really means getting some sweat resistant headphones with mic ;-)

I saw your Facebook Live presentation today. I'm not a race-a-holic! Honest! I just put in a few 5ks to use as run tests because I am not good at pushing myself towards vomit on my own! Also, I hereby give you permission to tell me, "You can do all the races, you just can't do all the races this year." Seriously, if you feel like I've planned to many races for a season, please say something.

2019 Events of Note

• March 2 - Myrtle Beach Marathon
    • May 19 - IM 70.3 Chattanooga
    • August 3 - Lake Logan HIM (not yet registered)
    • some fun fall event (Augusta 70.3, B2B 70.3, St. George marathon)
    • possibly RAGNAR Florida Trail in Decmeber which I would do as part of a run durability or outseason plan

---

Questions:

• Strength/Core. My training plan says to Complete Core Routine #3 but I don't see that in the wiki. For now, I am continuing to follow the RDP strength routine. Is there another resource that I should be looking at? When, at what point in the season if not now, should I add in a functional strength routine? I think that I should probably look at incorporating the TRX that I got way back after my shoulder surgery in 9/2014
    • Spring marathon: I'm slightly concerned that you may think that I'm not taking training seriously with my spring marathon. I just like winter running. Trust me, summer running in NC is not where it's at. I'm guessing that you'd prefer that I think of something like Peak to Creek in late October Kiawah in mid-December in the future or even Charleston in January in the future?
    • EN Admin: Signature block doesn't work on my account :-(

P.S. I have a call scheduled with you on January 15h.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer -

Thanks so much for the data...this will really help us stay focused as we progress through the year. And the RDP was a great call for you for sure! I am not worried about your total volume as low or high, it just is what it is. Make decisions moving forward based on the data you want to see next year...like building to a nice 24 mpw avg for this year!

For zwift, Run discord on your iPhone with apple earbuds (wired or wireless) they are great.

For your other questions...

1. Strength/Core - we have a functional strength resource you can use, and a Functional Strength progression that you can "overlay" in four week increments to your training plan on Final Surge. I like TRX as well but I don't have a resource for that right now.
    2. Spring Marathon Is FINE...and I support you in your choices. It's not great for a FAST race (as opposed to tend of year racing) but it's a great carrot to get you out the door and running motivated.
    3. The signature block is a known error right now with the software; it's in their queue for fixing, but I don't believe it's mission critical for them. I'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2019 6:40PM

2018 Year End Report

2019 goals:

• Stronger core - strength train at least twice a week --Strength train an average of at least twice a week over the course of the year. By this I mean a workout of at least 15-20 minutes at least twice a week. The workout could be the RDP core workout, the functional strength workout, a TRX-style workout, etc. I don't want Body Comp to be a focus for the year. I think it would be more useful for me to focus on strength.
    • Stay on top of PT exercises
    • More fun! Ride with friends!
    • Pump up the volume! (as compared to 2017-2018)
    • Try something new - new venue, new event. (maybe a trail run? or a new-to-me mountain ride)
    • Event related goals, other than the try something new one, is I'd like to go sub 4 at Myrtle Beach. ideally, I'd like to go sub 3:55. To reach this goal, I have loaded the Advanced Marathon Plan [balanced] and completed all of the workouts to the best of my ability.
    • I don't really have specific time goals for Chattanooga or Lake Logan. Well, it would be really nice to come in at sub 6:15 at Lake Logan. (2016 - 6:22, 2017 - 6:09, 2018 - 6:34)
    • Other stuff that I wrote down but don't have a good way to measure: Mental toughness, BE MORE EPIC.

Follow up question

• Functional Strength - not sure what size/weight kettle bell to get? I'd like to purchase what I need. It's a lot more likely to get done if it does not involve a drive somewhere ;-) Does 30 pounds sound right? I have a 15 at home (not sure why!) This would be for goblet squat and single leg dead lift. Something in the 30-35-40 range seems on track, I think.
    • Training plans: From what you said in today's Office Hours, I should be looking at a Get Faster segment this summer. I need to think about where to fit that in.

General comments

• I ran across a thing called a Monkii. It's basically a TRX that you can fold up to be super tiny. I downloaded the free app and started to mess with it. I also ordered a Pocket Monkii off ebay for $20. I'll post the the forums if it's good. So far the app has been pretty good. Once I get the hang of it, I think that I could get a good workout from the app. Right now I am familiarizing/refamiliarizing myself with the moves ;-)
    • Work on race plan week of Jan 29th
  • Options

Love the updates! Thank you. I agree, 30 pounds sounds just about right. I am super curious to learn more about this gadget that you’ve ordered. Maybe a few pictures and some notes would be helpful. You could probably start on the group me to see if anyone else has input or experience with it. We can talk about get faster as the season progresses!

• Options

Myrtle Beach Marathon Race Plan 2019

Pre-Race:

Thursday

• Pack

Friday

• Morning run
    • Drop off dog
    • Travel to Myrtle Beach
    • Sip water all day long
    • Race check in (expo is opened 10-8)
    • Hotel check in
    • Pizza (early)

Friday Night

• Number on race belt
    • Gu gels on/in race belt
    • Chapstick in race belt
    • Final weather check
    • Set out my gear and set the alarm for 5:00.
    • Tights/capris/shorts
    • Shirt and bra
    • Vest or jacket if needed
    • Shoes, socks, toe spacer
    • Hat
    • Sunglasses
    • Post race gear bag ready
    • Instructions to sherpa

RACE DAY Wake Up

Get up at 5:00 for the 6:30 race start, dress and lube up liberally and then eat a bagel with peanut butter and a banana and drink a bottle of Nuun. Use the bathroom at least 47 times.

Walk to start (a few blocks) at about 5:45. Have bag to check. Also have Garmin, sunglasses, hat, race belt and bib, nutrition.

Easy warm-up 10-15 minutes with some strides, use the bathroom another 17 times, head to the starting area.

Line up with between 3:45 and 4:00 pace groups. My target zone is 8:52-9:02 which would have me finishing 3:52-3:56. My goal is to go sub 4:00 (stretch goal sub 3:55)

Waters stops are every two miles. Gu will be available on course but only at Mile 14 and 22.  My plan is to have a Gu every 4 miles which I have been practicing in training -- so 4-8-12-16-20-24. I plan to grab a water at every opportunity. (looking back at previous marathon,s i’ve always done gu every 5 miles???)

*** Remember how you have trained for the last few months, for that is how you will race. ***

After the gun goes off settle in to a pace on the more conservative end of the target zone. It’s just another long run, etc. Run comfortably and take water when they offered it at the even mile markers.  My pace here should be 9:00/mile to 9:10/mile. Be patient here!

Pick up the pace at as we approach and turn on Farrow Parkway. Run the tangets through this section. Starting here, my pace here should be 8:50/mile or so.

Really really focus and start to empty the tank when I get to the  paved greenway at mile 21. Be fit-fast-fierce through this section and run strong along Grissom Parkway.  Pass people and steal their energy. Keep cadence high. Keep it all together. You’ve done the hard work. Finish Strong! No grit, no pearl.

General Comments (not part of race plan)

• I broke down and got a Stryd. It just arrived on Saturday afternoon. I plan to do the 6/3 test next week (2/5) for a baseline, unless you have other ideas. At first, I was thinking of a 5k over the weekend but I decided against modifying the plan to acomodate it.
    • I'm continuing to do the RDP strength workout for now. Will get a kettle bell in the next few weeks.
    • I'm continuing to do some suspension training strength work as well.
  • Options

I love the race plan. And I think your modified nutrition grow is great. My only advice to you is that I would plan on eating approximately two hours before the start of the race. That means a wake up call of 415 for a 430 breakfast.

You will want to have either half a power bar at 30 minutes before the race starts, or a gel at 10 minutes before the race start. You get to choose which one you prefer. I want to give you that option since you’ll be eating gels during the race.

Also if you Drink coffee you can plan I’m making the last two or three gels caffeinated.

Yes to the Stryd critical power test and not the 5k. Right now you were just in data collection mode and trying to make sure you can get the dang thing to work more than anything else! 😂

• Options

Thanks for the input on the race plan.

I am just trying to get the Stryd set up now. I'll plan to use it for the HIMs but just wear it for the marathon.

• Options

Sounds good, we just wanna make sure we’re capturing as much data as possible!

• Options
    edited February 6, 2019 4:11PM

I tried to submit it, not sure that it went through? It's listed as "other" and I didn't see a way to add the name of the race. Anyway...

I registered for the Lake Logan Half on Saturday, August 3rd. I'd mentioned this one earlier but I did not submit it until I was actually registered.

Actually, I just looked at the race database and none of my races are listed 🤔 but I did submit them -- honest!

• March 2, Myrtle Beach Marathon
    • May 19, IM 70.3 Chattanooga
    • August 3, Lake Logan Half

------- Other stuff -------

Stryd question

• Should I enter my Stryd Critical Power as my rFTPw in Final Surge? Or is there something else that goes there?

HIM plan question

• Where should I be getting TSS and IF numbers? Check TP everyday or is there a better way? I don’t see it listed in Final Surge or Garmin Connect or Strava. I’d hate to have to check a fourth site 😮
    • Bridge from marathon plan /marathon recovery to HIM with regard to the bike. Going from 2 hours/wk of riding to 9 hr/wk of riding is a big jump all at once. Granted, it's not like I have been sitting on the couch this past few months but still. (I checked back and it looks like in the past we just doubled the riding - 2 hours one week, 4 hours the next, etc. so a quick ramp.)
    • I also would like to confirm that it's OK to rearrange the training within the week as long as I get it done.

For example, I can ride on Tuesday and Thursday way easier than on Wednesday and Friday. Would moving the Run FTP and Swim on Tuesday to Wednesday and the Ride with Brick Run to Tuesday be OK?

I think for me the tricky part is the Thursday long run. I can get about 90 minutes in before work. Two hours is really pushing it. Some times of the year, after work running is not a good thing here in NC -- it's just too stinking hot. It looks like there are only 3-4 weeks of that in the schedule though.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer -

Ok, got your stuff...

1. I don't know why, but when you submit the races your data is blank (See image)...but I have you manually and have updated your Roadmap above (from earlier in year) to reflect the Lake Logan Half.

2. Yes, you can use stryd critical power in Final Surge for sure.

3. I don't know what you mean by "where should I be getting numbers" for TSS and IF? Basically when the 2019 plans are done, there will be values in your workouts. You do the workout in the zones you are prescribed to do. If you are short of the target TSS or IF (per your watch / head unit) you have the option to continue working until you hit them. Just doing the main set is also ok.

4. Yes to bridging....so that first HIM week you can cap the weekend rides to allow Your body to adjust. 3 rides but total of 4 to 5 hours. Even in that second week of HIM you can do the weekend rides for time not intensity if you need one more transition week.

5. Yes to moving workouts around...no worries. It's only in the last 6-ish weeks that I get a bit "restrictive" with your modifications.

6. You can always keep splitting that long run if you want 60 am / 30 lunch or PM....or 45 / 45. That works for me too!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited February 11, 2019 6:36PM

Ah, gotcha. Get the TSS from the watch, don't worry about looking at Training Peaks or whatever afterwards!

Thanks!

P.S. Follow up question on the plans - do you want a certain number of weeks of run focus HIM versus bike focused? If so, I may need to transition between plans on June 23rd since Lake Logan is on August 3rd.

• >> Transition Early <<
    • On 6/30/2019 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 8/11/2019

Thanks again!

Janyne

• Options
    edited March 4, 2019 2:33PM

So.... The marathon didn't go quite the way that I wanted it to. OK, I'll be honest, it didn't go at all the way that I wanted it to. I don't know what happened 😔. Training went well. I enjoyed the training and was nailing the workouts, especially in the last month. I felt like the 18 miler went well and the 20 went reasonably well too. I had my plan and I felt like I could execute it but in the end, that did not happen. My brain said legs, go faster and my legs gave me the middle finger. I'm just really disappointed in myself.

In terms of training, I had the volume and the consistency. I did not complete one workout -- December 9th snow/sleet run was cut short.

Nutrition: I went from Gu every 5 miles to Gu every 4 miles. Nothing unusual in the GI-realm. I had the same pre-race lunch-dinner-breakfast as I usually do. You suggested that I eat 2 hours before the race instead of 1.5 hours before the race and I made that change (breakfast: plain bagel with pb, banana, water with Nuun, wait 30 minutes or so and then have 8-12 oz can of TJ's cold brew coffee)

Warm up: 1 mile easy, then a half mile with a handful of strides for about 15 minutes of running.

All of that seems about right to me. That leave race plan execution which we both know did not go well.

The only odd thing about the race itself was that my neck got all jammed up. How does one's neck get messed up when running, especially when it has never happened before. About 2/3 through the race, I noticed that my neck felt really tight. It felt better when I looked just right in front of me -- like 6-10 feet in front of me. I tried to relax my neck and shoulders but that did not help. When I (finally) crossed the finish line, I did the arms up thing and looked at the clock and my neck kind of spasmed. I must have looked terrible because they put me in a chair and took me to the med tent (my first ever visit to a med tent) where they did nothing for my neck (didn't even look), just had me sit down and gave me some anti-nausia meds, took my vitals and let me go as soon as I drank some Gatorade. I said something to Kevin about it later and he confirmed that I did look pretty bad.

Now to recover, shift gears, focus on the Chattanooga 70.3.

I'll write more later about fall plans. Kevin really wants a racecation in October. I think that would be OK as a very long fun run (not necessarily for time -- see also, I enjoyed the training for this event, it's just the event day itself that sucked for me).

Thanks for listening.

• Options

I’m sorry to hear about the race. I have made a note to go ahead and take a look at some of your data. Stay tuned this week. I hope the legs are recovering.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2019 10:27PM

@Janyne Kizer Ok, a quick review. I compared your race to your Race Simulation from 1/26/19.

• Your HR was 8 to 10 beats higher on race day for the same speed and watts.
    • Your HR build in the Race Sim; but on race day it was flat until you cracked (mile 10ish).
    • Marathon Pacing Guidance is 6/14/6....with the first 6 miles at 15" slower per mile, then 14 at 5" faster per mile...then you finish. Looking at your data, you did not take the first 6 miles slower.

This early in the year it's hard to race with peak fitness; therefore peak execution is required. While you were running your target pace and I think watts, your HR was off and should have been a red flag.

Don't let this result characterize the great work and focus you have demonstrated; let's use this as an opportunity to grow!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited March 13, 2019 6:02PM

Thanks for taking a look at this. I did try to be patient the first five miles per my race plan and then tried to get to an 8:50 pace. I guess I'm just going to have to do another marathon. I mean, eight would be a dumb place to stop.

So in the future, I should look to structure the season like this?

• OutSeason
    • March half marathon
    • half ironman/ironman/something like Assault on Mount Mitchell (A races/events)
    • fall marathon (A)

---

Earlier I said that I'd write about fall plans. We are thinking of a racecaction in St. George, Utah involving Kevin mountain biking and me doing the St. George marathon (October 5). This would not be an A race but a racecaction event.

I have also been invited to do a relay event with some friends -- Land and Sky Relay from Asheville, NC to Cherokee, NC on November 2. This would definitely be in the fun category. Long for RDP/OS but I think we can make that work.

So the rest of the year would like something like this (unless you use your coachly veto powers to sway me)

• May 19 - Chattanooga 70.3 (A)
    • August 3 - Lake Logan Half (A)
    • Ocotber 5 - Racecation event - St. George marathon
    • November 2 - Relay
    • RDP/OS
    • Then half marathon March 2020

I think that we need to have a talk with Kevin. We listened to the vacation planning podcast in the car together. He said that St. George will be great way for me to earn SAUs! Woo hoo! I said that maybe it was him burning SAUs rather than me earning them!

• Options

@Janyne Kizer Yes, the "fall" marathon is a much easier endeavor and makes lots of room for balanced athletic development without run pressure.

I know you tried to hold back, I include the data shot so you can see what actually happened. Being able to turn this into a teachable moment is critical so you can get it right next time! 👍

Your macro plan for the year looks great! I love the idea of you two making the most of a trip to St George. We'll have to prepare you for some downhill running though!!!!

🤣