Home General Training Discussions
Options

Tour of Zwift Bike Camp in January 2019

I was thinking about doing a "Zwift Bike Camp" in January like a tour of Cali or Sufferlandia that we could do together. 45-100 mile rides per day. Some days with races and many days with big time climbing. Rough goals of 400-450 miles (640-720km) and >20,000 ft (6100km) of climbing. I was thinking of Saturday 19th to Sunday 27th but could change if group wants it. I hope to ride 7 out of the 9 days like Sat/Sun/Mon //Tues short or off// Wed big// Thurs off or short// Friday Sat Sun.

Would tie in the Sunday Cruise and Crush with ride after. I hope to do some of the Big rides on Zwift to hit the longest courses. We would have courses listed for the day and either have one or two times for group ride or individuals could do them on their own schedule. We will most likely be doing two or more course on some days and some riders may join for only some of these.

Let me Know what people think. If earlier in the month works better especially for UMFL (@Simon Shurey ) or Rattler folks let me know.

Also suggestions for Epic Zwift rides would be helpful.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

this is a great idea. I'd have to see what @Coach Patrick thinks of it in the end of NOS for me personally. Aside from that, the 19th is MLK weekend and many people may be away with families.. I could do Tuesday 22nd through the 27th..

• Options
    At the end of the day, participation from a PERFORMANCE perspective will be
    personal, but overall I am all about (1) Le Bike (2) Le Zwift (3) the Team
    doing those things together!

~ Patrick
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2018 6:48PM

Can we add a virtual Cake stop to the rides? 🙄

🍰 makes riding fun!

but seriously @Robert Sabo maybe you can edit your first response above as people committ to the days they will ride? or we can come up with a structure to entice people to join in, set up a sign up google sheet with intended rides / distances, meeting time, etc?

if you'd like help brainstorming and organizing, I volunteer! lmk if you want to set up a call to discuss ideas? Guessing we can rope in other people, or maybe do a video meeting with @Coach Patrick , any other likely suspects? @Brian Hagan @Larry Peters @Shaughn Simmons @Al Truscott

• Options
    #CafeLegs...
  • Options

@Coach Patrick how would a January OS participant best fit this in? Step away from running for a week? @Robert Sabo this sounds great

• Options
    Yes...so for that week, you would do the following:

1. No bike intensity...you are replacing with volume.
    2. Runs should be short and frequent. So a 1-2 mile "brick" run or a
    "streak" run is appropriate.

Plan ahead to have enough fluids, chamois cream and other paraphrenalia so
    you can be happy on the bike for that long.

Can't wait!

~ Coach P
  • Options

My OS has been a bit off so far this year. Maybe looking forward to this might help get my mojo back.

• Options

@Robert Sabo If I had a choice on date it would be starting the week of January 7th. I am up for it, my traditional big rides would be on Saturdays 6-7 hours biking. Depending on the course you could get 120-140 miles in.

For me I would have to get in a long run on Sundays, but could substitute a couple hours riding for the run.

• Options

I would be down but I think that is the week I move west.

• Options

following and interested depending on week chosen and times of rides

• Options

Let us know. Should be able to join for 2-3 rides.

• Options

Okay here is some more info. I am still leaning towards Jan 19-27th. The January Zwift schedule usually isn't out till end of the month and I want some time to finalize the schedule.

Looking for recommendations for what courses would be good.

Hopefully there won't be any Richmond. Or Insbruck

Possible Routes open to suggestions

WATOPIA

Mega Pretzel 107km (66.5miles)1642m Epic climb both ways No Alpe could consider heading to volcano or jungle for some loops to add milage

4 Horseman 89.3km (55.5mi) 2112m (6929') all 4 climbs could consider heading to volcano or jungle for some loops to add milage

road to Ruins 29.6k (18.4mi) 268m 4 or 5 x might consider Hang on plus 3 more laps

Volcano circuit 4.1km(2.6mi) 17m (56') 40x crazy I know 164km 680m (2240')

Jungle 7.9km (4.9mi) 79m(259') 20x 158km 1580m

LONDON

London Pretzel 55.6km(34.5mi) 531m (1742') x2 111.2km 3484m or 3x

Triple loops 40.8k (25.4mi) 544m (1785') x2 or x3

NYC

Everything Bagel 34.2km (21.3mi) 525m (1722')

Perimeter loop x4 as a recovery day

Eager to hear opinions from the team

• Options
    edited December 16, 2018 10:27PM

This is really cool, thanks for proposing it @Robert Sabo ! Thanks for mentioning me @scott dinhofer , I'm flattered that I came to mind. ;) (it looks like I need to adjust my notifications so I get an alert when someone tags me).

I'm teaching a class I've never taught before & another I haven't taught in a while and classes will be underway at that point. So I can't say for sure how big I can go at that time. But I'm definitely interested and it is in my calendar.

• Options

It's all good. I'm in, being free during that block. Richmond is kinda short, but Innsbruck can be fun if the big climb is a part of it.

• Options

Innsbruck the only choice is a couple loops of the ring and the climb. I have to wait for the schedule.

• Options

I may consider. Thanks for putting this out there and organizing!

• Options

Should have schedule up today or tomorrow.

• Options

Here is my planned schedule. Could be altered if someone has a suitable suggestion.

EN/TOZ all times are Eastern Standard - distance miles/ elevation climbed in meters

Saturday Jan 19 5:50 AM Hang On ride Road to Ruins 2 laps controlled effort then will go easy for 3 more laps 92miles 1340m

Sunday Jan 20 7:50AM EN C&C London Pretzel 34.5mi/531m cool down till TDZ Stage 6 Road to sky 17.2mi/1144m total 51.7mi/1675m plus

Monday Jan 21 4PM London Pretzel x2 69mi/1062m

Tuesday Jan 22 7PM NYC Perimeter Loop x4 24mi/480m

Wednesday Jan 23 7PM TDZ Stage7 Innsbruck 29.6mi/494m

Thursday Jan 24 6AM Mega Pretzel and a few xtra jungle loops 66.9mi/1642m plus

Friday Jan 25 6am (or 7 if anyone wants later) 4 Horseman 55.8mi/2112

Saturday Jan 26 5:50AM Hang On controlled effort 36.8mi/536m plus recovery then 8AM Volcano Loop x25 64mi/425m Total 100.8/961m plus

Sunday Jan 27 7:50AM EN C&C London Pretzel 34.5mi/531m recovery 11AM TDZ Stage 8 London loop plus 24.75mi/440m Total 59.25mi/971m plus

TOTAL FOR ALL 9 days 549miles and 10,737meters

• Options

Daaaamn, Robert. 1000k is legit!

• Options

While I can't do most of these - I won't wake up @ 0230 PST for those 5:50/6 AM EST rides - I do think it's a great idea, which I intend to implement per Coach direction later in the winter as I prepare for the ITU LC WC in early May.

One thing you might consider: suggested effort levels for these rides, as measured either by total TSS or avg IF (% of FTP). Total TSS for the 9 days = ? As you well know, the 2-5 days AFTER are critical...structured rest and recovery is essential to consolidating the gains. It might be useful to make suggestions for how to handle days 10-14.

• Options

I can make most. The weekday early mornings I can do only the first half & would have to miss Monday. Interested to see how my body/brain will handle the longer rides as I think my longest trainer ride to date is around three hours.

@Al Truscott also interested in something later winter, like late March.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 6:25PM

First day of the TOUR is Saturday.

• Options

I may do TDZ this Saturday 6am and then loop around the jungle to catch you all for a bit after Hang on

• Options

Day 1

101.5 miles 238 TSS time 4:56 4,823 ft of climbing

• Options

Late to the party. Love the idea. Maybe later in the JOS season.

• Options

Saturday: 100 mi, 349 TSS, 5:24, 7,493 ft of climbing.

Sunday : 43.3 mi, 129 TSS, 2:00, 1,791 ft.

Legs are flat today. I think I need a rest day tomorrow and will see what Tuesday feels like.

• Options

Day 2 54 miles 151 TSS 3:07 5,263 ft

Total 155.5 miles 389 TSS 8:03 10,086ft

Normatec time!!!!!!

• Options

@Robert Sabo so beastly...keep us posted!!