Home Announcements 🎙
Options

2019 Full and Half Plan Review & Production Help

KIDS! Time to help me make these plans a reality! 💪

1. We have draft Full and Half plans for Bike-Focus, Run-Focus and Minimalist options. Six plans total.
  2. We need a Zwift WKO volunteer and a TrainerRoad WKO volunteer to create the workouts for the respective platforms using the Bike Focused plans for Full and Half (download Half Bike here, Full bike here)...just reply if you are interested. Why only Bike Focused plans? The bikes are the same across all three plans. Workout Nomenclature is "2019_Full_Wk1_L1_Wed" for Full plan, Week 1, Wednesday ride for Level 1. A Level 3 workout In Week 3 on Saturday would be called "2019_Full_Wk3_L3_Sat" f Bonus stuff for you as thanks.
  3. We need some volunteers to read through the Plans with a keen eye to help us make sure they are all good and jive. They are PDFs so you can print or just scroll through and make edits like "Plan Day #1 Run Main Set" is messed up....or "Week 5 is missing a bike", etc. You can download the individual plans using the links below and just give us feedback as a reply, making sure to note the NAME of the plan you are reviewing. Again, bonuses await you.

Thank you in advance for your interested...remember you can just reply below to let us know what you want to contribute to!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrickwhat is the due date on this? I can likely do most, if not all of the zwift plans. Do you have a spreadsheet of them? easier to work from :-) I am volunteering to be a workout writer, not a plan reviewer, but I will see errors as I work through the sheet.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2019 9:28PM

@Coach Patrick I'll read through the Full Run Focused plan. I check back once finished to see about more.

• Options

Just a quick comment from a proofing perspective, there a number of workouts with [TSS: XX, IF: XX]: across all the 2019 docs. These tend to be the long workouts or bike challenge rides. Here is an example of week 1 day 6 - 2019 vs same day on the 2018 plan with the #'s.

Example 2019:

Bike, Bike Long, Planned: 2:30:00, Priority: High, Bike: Long

Choose Your Ability Level for Main Set 1:

-Level 1 [TSS: XX, IF: XX]: 2 x 8' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy.

-Level 2 [TSS: XX, IF: XX]: 2 x 10' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy.

-Level 3 [TSS: XX, IF: XX]: 3 x 10' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy.

Main Set 2: 30' @ Zone 3.

Remainder of time at Zone 2.

Example 2018:

Bike, Bike Long, Planned: 2:00:00, Priority: High, Bike: Long

Choose Your Ability Level for Main Set 1: 

-Level 1 [TSS: 127, IF: 0.80]: 2 x 8' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy. 

-Level 2 [TSS: 131, IF: 0.81]: 2 x 10' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy.

-Level 3 [TSS: 139, IF: 0.83]: 3 x 10' (4') Zone 4, 10' Easy.

Main Set 2: 30' @ Zone 3. 

Remainder of time at Zone 2.

Don't know if this was intentional or not.

• Options

Looking into production tools which would help mass produce the Zwift ZWO files. I have a question out to one my ex-pro roadie friend. She has a number of coaching contacts and even Zwift inside contacts. Doing it online in the Zwift (game) app would be a little clunky for the quantity of file I see emerging from the two plans (2 plans * 20 weeks * 3-4 bike workouts/week).

Do you know of any viable production tools?

Being retired (every day is Saturday), I do have some time.

• Options

@Coach Patrick - I reviewed the Full Run Focus Plan. Below are my comments and recommendations. Some of my comments will carry over to the other plans. I like the new plan/workouts!

All days – Run workouts: move the MS text from the Level 3 line to the next line. It looks like the MS only applies to Level 3, unless it’s actually specific to level 3

All days – Run workouts: delete the planned time or use a range of time that covers level 1 to level 3 times. On most run workout the listed planned time applies to level 3. A level 1 or 2 athlete will be confused between the planned time and the time for their level.  For example, day #8 has planned time as 45’ but level 1 is 30’.

Swim works – What is DR Intro, DR Propulsion? Is that a link to swim drills?

Bike workouts: move any text after level 3 workout to the next line. It looks like the MS or remainder of time at… only applies to Level 3, unless it’s specific to Level 3.

Day #12 – Bike. Planned time is 1:00:00 but workout details for level 1 and 3 is 90’. Also, ABP ride on Friday?

Day 13 Bike – Coach Notes talk about cadence work but I don’t see cadence work in the workout details.

Day 21 Bike (and other ABP workouts) – confusion between planned time (2:00:00) and workout details for all levels (90’)

Day 27 Bike – Planned time is 5 hours but Coach Note has 2 hrs min, 3 hrs max.

Day 55 Bike – there’s no TSS or IF. Double checking that this is a zone 1 ride?

Day 56 Run – listed as Run Second but it’s the only workout for the day. Also is described as a brick run.

Day 63, 70, 76, 77, 84, 86, 93, 109  Bike – no TSS/IF

Day 77 Run – listed as run second but it’s the only workout for the day. Also is described as a brick run.

Day 88 Bike – since this is a new workout, reword to clarify workout. Is there a recovery interval between each repeat? If so, maybe in the Coaches notes include, 36 continuous minutes as 3’@Z4, 3’@Z3 and/or change workout details to 6x(3’@Z4, 3’@Z3) no recoveries between repeats.  Another thought is providing a video explaining and describing all the new workouts.

Day 109 Run – rename from Long Run to Run Second

Day 116 Bike – remove Coach Notes, camp was 2 weeks ago

Day 120 – There’s no note about RR#2 week.

• Options

Hey Coach,

I can do the TrainerRoad workouts.

• Options

@Pat Koss - we can use a site called zwofactory

ez pz, I can split it up with you if you like. if you do it, lmk as I can save you some time with how you save them. it's also important to look at the wkos in a matrix as week x level 3 often becomes week x+1 level 2, etc..

• Options

@Patrick Hayden when I create the workouts in TrainerRoad it gives me the TSS and IF. I sent those back to Coach P. Don't know if he used the ones from TR or from another source.

• Options

@scott dinhofer ZWOFACTORY is what I've heard is the best solution. I'm in if you want to share. I'm not sure what you're sharing with the last sentence. I can be reached at 501.772.3307 and we can discuss how to split them up. Best time would be after noon CT Sunday.

• Options

I am reviewing the Full Minimalist Plan.

Common Findings:

Saturday Runs up to plan Day #83 - either noted as Run Second or Brick Run however the coaches notes all say ideally done before long ride.

Tuesday and Thursday Bike Rides from Week 13  to about week 17  - It appears that bike weekday bike rides are missing their TSS and IF numbers

Specific Findings:

Wk 4, Plan Day #27 -  Bike Long :  Planned 5 hours, in notes is says Minimum 2 hours, maximum 3 hours. 

Wk8, Plan Day #52 -  Noted as Rest Day however there is a 45:00 Run Stride workout that is not listed as OPTIONAL, so it implies that there is no rest day.

Wk 11, Plan Day #76 - Bike Long, No TSS or IF Numbers Provided

Wk12, Plan Day #78 - Noted as the rare Rest day (to recover from all the effort over the weekend) however there is a swim test.

Wk13, Plan Day #85 -  Noted as rest day with option Swim for lvl 3 however there is no swim workout provided.

Wk14, Plan Day #97 - Challenge bike noted at 5 hours but text says up to 6./5 hours for lvl 3

Wk 16, Plan Day #106 - Noted as Rest for campers, however if did not do the camp then may do the workouts noted and there are no workouts noted.

Wk 17  , Plan Day #118 - Long Bike, No TSS or IF numbers noted

Wk 19, Plan Day #127 - Rest Day, unlike other weeks here levels 1 & 2 are able to swim if they want, however level 3 must be off.  Just wasn't sure if that was correct.

Wk 19, Plan Day #132 - Bike Long, Both The TSS and IF numbers are shown as well as marked TBD right afterwards.  (Level 1 [TSS: 106, IF: 0.73]: TSS TBD; IF TBD)

Wk 20, Plan Day #134 - Swim... Two workouts and instructions are noted in the same text: 

Swim: Skill

Choose Your Ability Level:

-Level 1: OPTIONAL SWIM

-Level 2: Get To Work!

-Level 3: Get To Work!Swim: Taper

Choose Your Ability Level:

-Level 1 & Level 2: Entire Swim

-Level 3: Option to add yards to hit your weekly swim goals.

Additionally, the workouts start on the same line as Level 3, should have a break.

• Options

@Coach Patrick the Full Wk2 Friday workout has an inconsistency between the duration (1 hour) and the descriptions (adding up to 2 hours). Based on what you have for the other Friday workouts, I think the description is incorrect. For the purpose of making the TR workouts I'll assume it should be a 1hr z1-z2 workout for all levels (like for all the nearby Fridays). If this is incorrect, please let me know.

• Options

@Coach Patrick did you get a volunteer yet for the Zwift workouts? If not, I'll start on the half IM today, unless @scott dinhofer or another has already begun. Let me know.

• Options

@Pat Koss - meant to tell you to call me. call me today so we can split it up, 917-848-2335

• Options

@Coach Patrick , @scott dinhofer and I spoke earlier today. I'm going to do the HIM and he will do the full.

• Options

Starting my ZWO creation with the HIM bike focused document. I might have missed it, but would suggest some sort of version control page, and possibly identifying the version in the document name. The version control page could list the changes in that version and the person that made those document updates.

That would help me as changes are made to the base document, to know what changed and how to go back to the ZWO's if needed.

Just a suggestion.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2019 5:08PM

@Coach Patrick Derrek covered most of this. I did not check back on the thread. I'll see if I can get to another one this weekend.

• Options

Ok...thanks all sooo much!!! Here is a quick update.

• Zwift Workout files are almost done thanks to @scott dinhofer And @Pat Koss
    • Training Road workouts are in progress thanks to @Scott Imlay
    • All workouts when ready, will be added to the Plan Description page under Training. I will update the video / language there as well.
    • I have spent the last week correcting all the formatting and note inconsistencies identified by you all in the actual template plans.

Next Steps

Once I have the Trainer Road workouts, I can fill in the workout TSS and IF values for the bikes in Final Surge and The plans will be 100% officially ready. My target complete launch date is monday 2/18...If you must have the plans early, then You can load them without the values.

Thanks for your patience Team!

• Options

This will be great! I completed a 2nd ride on Zwift this morning in Watopia on the Flat Route. FTP up and Avg watts up! 👍️

• Options

@Scott Imlay I see 2019 FULL plans in Trainer Road. The WEEKDAY HALF rides are the SAME (we can just copy/rename)...but the WEEKEND HALF rides are different...are you planning on making those by any chance? If not I can do some digging...let me know!

• Options

@Coach Patrick - FULL is done for le Zwift.. assuming you have seen/ grabbed em

• Options

@Coach Patrick Same message as @scott dinhofer . Half is done for Zwift.

• Options

@Coach Patrick it appears I've been dropped by @scott dinhofer and @PatKoss. I've only completed the Full TrainerRoad workouts through week 9. I expect to have the Full TR workouts done by EOD tomorrow and can start on the Half at that time. It sounds like the half will be faster to complete!

• Options

@Coach Patrick I just noticed the 2/18 launch date. I'll try to accelerate the workout generation without burning too many SAU's (valentines day in Hawaii you know).

• Options

@Coach Patrick the Full TR workouts are done. I'll start on the Half this afternoon.

• Options

@Scott Imlay THANK YOU! 👍 Heads up weekday rides are same in Full / Half so you can duplicate...creation is only the weekend work!

• Options

@Coach Patrick the Half TR workouts are also done. Let me know if there are any issues.

• Options

Gosh! proof-reading is hard!! It all looks good Patrick apart from some minor points, thank you for your efforts.

I've proof-read the Half Plan Bike focussed weeks 11-20, feedback is below:

In line with the other feedback you've received for other Plans, it would be easier to understand if the one-liner written on the same line as the level 3 guidance was written on a completely separate line, because it implies that this is guidance for level 3 athletes only, when it's actually guidance for all (usually it is "remainder of time guidance")

Specifics:

Week 11

Plan Day #72: 

Swim: Priority level missing

Duplicate Run guidance entered, delete one of these

Plan Day #75

Plan Day #76

TSS/IF numbers missing

The target ride times are higher than the planned time - perhaps insert a note explaining this or stating target ride time is "between 4:30 - 7 hours, preferably towards 7 hours if your are able to do this" (L3 example)

Plan Day #77

This looks like a rest day so the Run information is confusing:

The title Run Second - what does this mean?

It's called a brick run, but there is no bike - Should there be a bike session included on this day?

Should this Run just be called a Run, with a note saying "if you are not too fatigued"?

Week 12

Plan Day #78

Swim Test: Priority level missing

Plan Day #82

Week 13

Plan Day #86

Bike: Amend the Planned time because it is too short to get the actual workouts done

Plan Day #87

Plan Day #89

Week 14

Plan Day #93

Bike: Amend the Planned time because it is too short to get the actual workouts done

Plan Day #94

Plan Day #96

Week 15

Plan Day #100

Plan Day #103

Hyperlink to Master race execution not working

Week 16

Plan Day #106

Hyperlink to Race prep Phase not working

Plan Day #107

Plan Day #108

Plan Day #110

Week 17

Plan Day #114

Plan Day #117

Week 18

Plan Day #120

Race execution guidance hyperlink not working

Race Phase prep link not working

Plan Day #121

Plan Day #125

Bike: Master race execution hyperlink not working

Run: Master race execution hyperlink not working

Plan Day #132

Can you check that the Race Pace Plus targets are appropriate for IM Half training? (just for sanity sakes!)

• Options

Having gone away and thought about it, please can you also check if the target times written down for the Bike Challenge Ride on Plan Day #76 (IM Half Plan) are correct as they seem excessive?

5/6/7 hours depending on level. Perhaps these are more relevant to the Full IM?

• Options

@Abbey Bonner Thank you!!!

@Scott Imlay Two changes for you in the TR workouts...

• Week 8 should be 4 hour ride for all, with IF .63 and TSS 159
    • Week 11 should be 4.5 hour ride for all, with IF .63 and TSS 159

Thank you man!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Hi Coach,

Today we are traveling home from Hawaii. If I get access to WiFi I’ll make these changes tonight. Otherwise I’ll do them first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone