Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant

2019 IMMT Kick Off Thread

Comments

• Hope that everyone had a much safer week of training. Traveling for work this past week really threw wrench into my training for week but I had a nice ride & run today. Just planning on being patient tomorrow and this coming week.

• Glad to hear you got a good run and ride after a busy work week @John Bayone !

I see the plan suggests to bump run volume this week If you have the time. . Good luck to everyone with that and remember to be careful with run injury risk ( I am partially reminding myself because my hamstring is a little sore today. 😜)

• @John Bayone work travel is just a bit of recovery for your body (at least that is how I rationalize it when I miss workouts because of travel) It was a decent week for me. The heat has arrived in MI and it took it's toll on me this past week. It's hard to rationalize not hitting your numbers when is very hot. Obviously the heat has an effect.

Looking forward to a solid week of training this week with the holiday! Muncie 70.3 is next for me.

• Hey @Bill Bejin that is a great way to look at it, as an opportunity to recovery properly and not just something I am missing out on. Yea, the ride on Saturday in NJ I could feel it getting warmer and when we started to run afterwards it felt like the temperature had shot up through the roof. So it was a great reminder that regardless of how fresh the legs felt that the heat can not be out run.

Good luck at Muncie 70.3

• Raced TupperLake this past weekend and was happy with the outcome. 6/22 ladies in my AG. Swim still needs work. Just starting OWSwimming here, so have to up my endurance game. Running and riding are feeling good.

• Hey IMMT crew! Even though I can't race with you all because I broke my collarbone (sad face), I'm happy to continue to post some key updates as part of the race captain role I volunteered for.

Make sure you gear up for Week 15 (6 weeks from race) Race Rehearsal Week!!!!

With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week. It represents the intersection of race execution and volume, presenting YOU the athlete with a chance to simultaneously improve your fitness and strategy. There are FANTASTIC videos/podcast about this high volume week. They will give IMPORTANT information so take a few minutes to listen and watch!!

Action Step 1 of 2: I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Patrick, GET THOSE IN YOUR PERSONAL THREAD IN THE OFFICIAL COACH FORUM NOW! Don't wait to ask them questions on Friday night for Saturday morning! 

What is a Race Rehearsal Week?

It's a regular training week with modifications to allow for a swim test, the 2 x 112 rides and a weekend long run. 

Ask Yourself: What do I need this weekend to get ready, then get your equipment dialed in!

• Thursday: Swim Test Day
    • Friday: Race Rehearsal #1 aka 112 Mile Ride + a 1 Hour Run.  Read the full Race Rehearsal protocol here
    • Saturday: Up to 112 Mile Ride. How far you ride on Day Two is a function of your fitness and race goals, and of course, safety. At a minimum you'll want to do 56 miles, with more advanced athletes working upwards to a full 112.
    • Sunday: Long Run according to your plan; minimum of 13 miles.

Good luck and please post here how it went!

• @Bill Bejin - sorry to hear of this.. glad you are not worse for your woes. Curious if the driver stopped? did they get ticketed at all? Frankly none of this gets better until cops take it seriously. if it was a car on car accident, more likely they would have been ticketed IMO.

• @scott dinhofer Yes, the guy stopped and was actually not an ass either. This happened in the city of Detroit. Police were very responsive. To your point, they did not want to file a report. I insisted that they did. I don't know if they gave the guy a ticket or not. I do know he will be more careful just based on how was acting after the accident.

Race rehearsal will be next week for me. Heading to Muncie for the 70.3 It will be interesting, the weather forecast is HOT and HUMID.

Had a half ass week of training last week. Did get a long swim, a 100 mile bike, and the long run in.

Feeling better about life this week. My wife has been diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia - scary but the Dr said it is something you die with, not from. She will start taking a pill everyday for the rest of her life. Feeling very blessed that it is not something worse. I guess it's just what getting older is - everyone walking around with a big bag of pills everywhere they go!

We are really looking forward to the race and a little vacation after!

Have a great week of training!

• Oh geese @Bill Bejin , I am so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis! It is great that you are keeping a positive perspective and that it is not a more serious disease.

Good work on the long swim, bike and run. Good luck in Muncie!

• @Bill Bejin sorry to hear about your wife, but glad the prognosis is good.

• Hey @Bill Bejin hope that your wife is in good spirits and is responding well to the medications. Really puts things in perspective. Have a good week.

• well I crashed yesterday and broke my collarbone so no tremblant for me.😔

• @Brenda Ross Wow! Sorry to hear this. I hope you are ok otherwise. There is always next year. I hope you have a quick rebound and are back out there soon!

• @Brenda Ross Oh no! So sorry to hear. I hope you get better soon!

• OH NO @Brenda Ross !! I am so sorry to hear this!! That is so sad! You would think me breaking my collarbone would’ve gotten it out of the way for this group. Do you think you’ll need surgery? Was it a pothole?

Hopefully they will let you defer or transfer your registration! I think it is past the deadline, but I say you should still try.

• Hope everyone had a good week of training. It was crazy hot here in New Jersey this past week. Had a very successful long ride in the heat yesterday, until of course I hit the ground at about mile 83. It all happened in the fraction of a second and I am grateful that I knew the pavement was awful in this bit of road and was going super slow...like maybe less than 10 mph. Thankful that nothing broken but some pride and will have to adjust a little bit of training. Got some road rash on my left forearm, and left hand which made riding the 8 miles back to the car very entertaining. Like how do you ride a triathlon bike without being able to put pressure on you left hand or forearm on the elbow pads?

I dropped of my bike at the bike shop since it took some good damage to the left side brake lever, and the shifter on the aero bar and they are going to try to get it back my Wednesday so if I am still able to go to Lake Placid for the weekend I can take the bike with me.

Anyways, I should still be good to go for the race except I might need to take a few days off from swimming until I know this is healing up.

So Does anyone have some guidance on healing time for the road rash on my arm? It is not too bad and I cleaned it up really well, and the cleaning was more painful than the fall. So while I have a bunch of other bumps, bruises and black & blue marks I really can not complain.

• Christ John, I am so glad you are okay. My road race is healing nicely. Just keeping it clean and leaving it alone, but perhaps some ointment might help?

• Welcome to the 'crash crowd' John. Glad it wasn't any worse. I like the Tegaderm bandage. Covers the road rash and it stays on even after a shower. When I went to the urgent care after my crash, they put those on my knees for the road rash and they healed up very quickly.

Training has been good. Almost feel like there is nothing I can do fitness wise with only four weeks left other than stay healthy and get packed for the race!

Stay safe and heal up!

• +1 on Tegaderm; it's what I routinely used on patient's wounds after surgery. Serum bubbles will build up between skin and dressing if it's making a good seal - this aids the healing, but requires periodic changing.

• Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about the crash, but glad to hear it wasn't worse @John Bayone ! I've heard others recommend Tagaderm, but I have not tried it. In retrospect, I wish I would've tried it for the road rash on my left hip on got on my 7/4 crash. That road rash is a relatively small scab now (about size of a 50 cent piece), but it was definitely a pain for the last couple weeks. It was in an awkward area and pretty large, so I never could figure an easy way to bandage it. The ER told me to take antibiotics for the cut on my elbow, so the antibiotics helped keep my hip from getting infected, too I'm sure. The ER didn't clean off or inspect my hip road rash, and I'm wondering if that was an oversight on their part (they just did an X-ray on my hip).

• Thank you everyone for the great tips. I will look at the Tagaderm stuff when I go back to walgreens later, their website said they should have in stock. I think I have been using something very similar. It is great to hear these kinds of tips from folks I know have had similar or worse than me and get to know what actually worked and what my expectations should be.

@Bill Bejin thanks, that is hysterical. It was something I had been avoiding for years and will continue to avoid the big one. I know in the big picture I am very fortunate that it was not worse and I am sure that I will be back to swimming and biking by the end of the week. IF not, it is just an opportunity to put in a week of decent running and just let things work themselves out.

Have a great week.

• so, here we are. Two weeks from today we will all be sipping on mint juleps and basking in the glory of success.

My goal now is not to f it up. Maintain fitness without getting hurt in any way. Super excited I don't have to ride for 6 hours until race day. Starting to get excited and a bit anxious. Hell, I've already started to check the weather.

Question: I weight 145 lbs. I purchased a set of Zipp 808's from a friend. When I raced in Placid 4 years ago, it was suggested that I not use an 808 on the front wheel. I used a 404. That was an option because I rented wheels. So, is there a cross wind issue where I should not use the 808 on the front?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Hey IMMT crew! I hope you are having a great Monday! @Bill Bejin I don't think I have enough experience to guide you on the 808 vs. 404, but the climbing (rotational weight) may have something to do with that in addition to cross-winds...

And now for the week 19 race captain post:

Hope you are gearing up...our big race is almost here! 😱. 

Even if this isn’t your “A” race of the year, every race is a chance to walk through the mental exercise of getting ready. Ultimate Checklists are here, leave everything to a checklist so you don’t stress! 

To help you out, we’ve prepared a Pre Race Week Page on the Members Site as a reference.

>> Click Here for the Pre Race Week Page

Also, make sure you are affiliated with Endurance Nation through Ironman® so we can capture your points. You can affiliate yourself with Endurance Nation by creating a profile or updating your already existing profile via Ironman.

• Need help? Here’s a “How To” register video

Last call if anyone wants to meet for dinner, drinks or pre-race breakfast!

Otherwise we’ll see you At the race and we can connect all race week via GroupMe!

• @Bill Bejin : I did Tremblant last year. The Canadian Highway can get windy later in the day. I raced at 170 pounds and ran an 808 in the back and 404 in front. I felt a few gusts but didn't get blown around and didn't worry about the crosswinds. At 170 I feel I could have handled an 808 in the front, but was comfortable with the 404 and bike handling was one less thing to worry about. At your weight of 145, you'll feel the wind and you could very well get blown around. It depends how comfortable you are with your bike handling skills and how quick your reflexes are.

You want to take advantage of the speed on Highway 17 (Trans-Canadian Highway), so if you are more comfortable going fast on open sweeping roads on the 404, I'd go with that in the front. If you don't have cat like reflexes and are going to be stressing over the next gust and that hampers your bike plan on the downhills, then I'd say the front 808 is not worth it and go with the 404.

In other words, I would try to weigh any aero/watt gains using an 808 vs. the conservatism in the wind relative to being unafraid to open it up with the 404s. I would expect, and this is purely my opinion without any supporting data, that any aero advantage of an 808 vs. a 404 in the front would be negated by any conservatism in the wind riding an 808. Like I said above, I was 170 and rode a 404 in front last year and I felt a few gusts, but didn't get blown around or cause it to hamper my bike plan.

• Hi everyone,

@Bill Bejin I would agree with @Tony Ledden about how comfortable you think will be, and would not over think it. There is a big long downhill section on Rt 117 on the way out to the turn around and you are going to have the wind hitting you on that section. That entire section of highway is pretty exposed with farm land on each side of the roadway. However, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with and I would just go with that and move forwards. The hills on the section towards teh end of each loop, the road has trees on each side and you are blocked from the wind (mostly).

@Larry Peters thanks for the information and links and I will look through it all early this week.

Not Sure what other folks have as travel plans, but I am traveling up on Thursday and if anyone wants to meet for a swim Friday morning at say 7am and then we could try to get coffee & breakfast some place? I am staying at the Residence Inn at the mountain village. Let me know what you all think.

• Ross and Turpin clan are driving in on Thursday. I know the crew will want to swim. Lets keep the group me a float.

• Hello! I arrive Thursday mid-day! I'll def be down to swim :D

• Fire up for race week IMMT 2019 crew!! I'm going to race vicariously through you so I hope you feel extra mojo out on the course :).

• Is the group me for this race active?

We will be arriving sometime on Thursday. My wife and I will be swimming on Friday. She is doing the swim leg in the Traverse City 70.3 relay a week after we are done.

The packing is almost done. This is the worst part!