Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

2019 IM Chattanooga Kick Off Thread

Welcome to your official 2019 race thread! This will be home for you and your fellow teammates who are competing (and have competed) to train, learn and share with one another.

You’ll find lots of historical information here in this forum, and you can search above or use the main forum page. But it’s just as important to add your information from this year -- your workouts, volume weekends, race plans, highs and lows...it’s all here.

Race Captain - Scott Liston

Ideally your event has a race captain to lead by sharing their training and generally being a really awesome, supportive person online. If you have one, their name is ^above^ … If not, you can request to become the Race Captain via email here (just remember to tell us the race you want to lead). You’ll get a free month of EN membership and some other cool stuff as our way of saying thanks.

We have a basic schedule to support the Race Captain, you can view it here  and it’s not a ton of work. Even if you don’t have a race captain, you can all use that schedule to make sure You are connecting around the critical parts of your season.

Looking for Your Fellow Racers?

Sometimes the hardest part of getting the community around a race started is finding your fellow racers! You can do that via our Race Database (online here, password is WORKWORKS) where you can search by race name such as “Placid,” etc. Once you have a list of names, you can use the “@” sign to tag them here in this thread (so they are notified) or you can send them a private message via the Forums as well.

GroupMe Chat

If you are looking for your Race GroupMe, you can search our official GroupMe page online here. Can’t find the GroupMe because There isn’t one for your race? You can request we make one for you via email here.

Have Questions or Need Help?

No worries, we’re here to help! You can send us an email right here so we can help you out. Please be sure to reference your race forum and give as much detail as possible.

~ Brenda

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hello IM Chattanooga Folks!

We are 12 weeks out so perhaps it is time for a roll call!

I just finished Ironman 70.3 Steelhead in Benton Harbor, MI on Sunday 6/30. A beautiful day. You can check out my race report here:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25896/scott-liston-im-70-3-steelhead-race-report#latest

This will be my fourth Ironman race so still learning how to train and execute well.

I am looking forward to hearing about your journey to IM Chattanooga, sharing mine, and supporting each other along the way!

What's your story?

Joshua Green:@Joshua Green

Sue Dejesus @Sue DeJesus

Anthony Ross @Anthony Ross

Sabra Gonzalez @Sabra Gonzalez

Liz Jackson @Liz Jackson

And if you know of others who will be racing tag them and invite them to join us on this forum!

• Options

IMChoo will be my 3rd IM, but have done 16 HIM to date. I'm wanting to learn the EN way with nutrition and pacing! I won my AG first time out at IMTX and had an amazing race experience. I ended the marathon with a negative split. Went to Kona and didn't do nearly as well as I hoped, but still did decent at 13th for my first experience on the big Island. Working through a rough patch with my back, but things are gradually better.

• Options

Thank you @Scott Liston for volunteering to be race captain. The list of duties is in a link above. I also suggest that since this is a KEY race that you reach out to @Mariah Bridges to see what she needs help with.

• Options

Hey Team,

This will be my 4th time racing IMCHOO, 5th full in total. Love this race course and the city as well. Really excited about it being a Key Race, that always brings alot of awesome mojo from the team.

Looking to execute better and push the limits this year. Become one with the heat, it will payoff on race day. Dial in your hydration!!

• Options

Hey Team,

This will be my second full IM. I raced IM Florida in 2012. I've raced 12 HIM. This will be the first time racing while training under EN. I am very excited to see the results as I have done the past races on "other" training plans. My uncle and I are racing together at IMCHOO. He is the one that got me into the sport after I left the Army in 2001. This has been a long road for me as I was injured in a parachute training accident in May 2000. It left me barely walking or moving for 6 months. So to be able to race and do the things that I love is a blessing. I am looking forward to racing with the team as I have missed that so much since I left the service. Looking forward to learning from all of you and appreciate what you bring to the team.

• Options

Sue Dejesus @Sue DeJesus - wow congratulations on the KQ! Looking forward to hearing wisdom from you as we go!

Josh Church @Josh Church - I see your role, Josh. Local insights! @Mariah Bridges may want to tap into your knowledge in planning our fun spots for team dinner and afterward. Although she was just there for the 70.3 so may have it all figured out!

Joshua Green:@Joshua Green - How motivational that you get to compete with your uncle and that you are getting back into the IM distance!

A little more on me: I'm in greater Cincinnati, Ohio. I've been doing triathlon since 2003, my first IMs were Louisville in '10 and '11 and then I did Wisconsin in '16. I had to go back and count my Ironman halfs (8) along with a few non-IM branded and the TripleT here in Ohio (twice) if you know that one. I expect that the Louisville bike and the Chattanooga bike are similar. The run, of course, will be much harder. I have been with EN since 2010. 2017 and 2018 represented a step-change in my performance so I am working hard to keep that going. Finally, I am doing the camp in August. How many of you will be there?

Separately, I will post the Official Welcome Email to help all of use connect and prepare together in the EN way!

• Options

Team! 

It is time to start race preparations! We are 12 weeks out from the race, and we have a little administrative work before we go nuts with the training.

You will only receive THREE forum posts/emails during your training...And this is the first one!!!

Use the GroupMe App to check in daily/weekly with your fellow athletes. From time to time we will post messages in the GroupMe to keep you on track. Remember to follow your Roadmap, Training Plan and all you and Coach have put together. 

So let’s dive into the Admin details! 

Admin:

• Bring Friends!
    • Get your friends to sign up an tell us during their Welcome Call and You’ll earn a free month! 

• Got Teammates? 
    • Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing to chime in.

GroupMe Admin: 

• Download the GroupMe App: iTunes Link  Google Play Store 
    • Find and Join Your Race Group Chat Online Here
    • Keep in mind times you are messaging - we recommend nothing before 6am and nothing after 10pm 
    • The Mute Button is your friend! You can either use “Office Hours” to mute it during the daytime only, or you can manually mute as you see fit. 
    • Jump in and out of the conversation when it is convenient for you! 

Training Admin: 

• Charge all your swim, bike and run electronics 
    • Tune up your bike 
    • Make sure all trainers, Zwifts etc are working and you’ve tested before. 
    • Order your Endurance Nation racing and training gear 
    • Watch all the videos - podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website (They are located on the right side of the training page)
    • Check out our sponsors to see if there is anything you need! 
    • Nutrition - Make sure to review race and training fueling webinars NOW because you need to be practicing every single day from now on! 
    • Order the first batch of your nutrition so you can start off practicing with a bang.
    • Race Execution Pages and Checklists are here, make sure to review them

Feel free to ask your teammates questions and make some friends along the way. 

The more everyone participates the more everyone will crush this race the Endurance Nation way! 

• Options

Thanks for being our race captain @Scott Liston! This will be my 2nd IM, first was IM Lou in 2017. Unfortunately, I've been going through a some injuries with my hip and back lately (iliac crest syndrome and facet joint syndrome/inflammation) and have taken some time off to recover. I'm hoping things are clearing up and I'm back on track starting this week.

I live north of Atlanta in the East Cobb area of Marietta. My husband and I have been married for 15 yrs and have two boys ages 11 and 6. Life has been super busy this summer. Training has been difficult with their schedules and with the injuries but hoping to make the best of it.

I'm so looking forward to this race, getting to know you all through the forums/group me and meeting you all in person before we know it!

• Options

Looks like I will be joining the party as an unexpected late entry, thanks to a DNF at IMCork in Ireland. It was to be my validating race I needed to complete this year for the Legacy spot I was awarded to participate in 2020. Unfortunately, due to brutal conditions, it did not work out too well. So that brings me to Chattanooga to make a second attempt.

This will be my 15th IM and 2nd IMChoo. The previous was in 2015. I really love the Chattanooga area, and I have also done the Chattanooga Waterfront Oly and IM70.3 in previous years.

I live in Pensacola, Fl training in the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast. Between sleeping, training, and working as a physical therapist to pay for this expensive habit, I spend the balance of my time with my very supportive wife of 40 years.

Very excited to join this group and share this journey to another epic adventure.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2019 12:26AM

@Sabra Gonzalez , so great to hear you will be joining us! We are connected in Zwift and I've seen that you've done some good work there! I admire your tenacity to balance life this summer and still train for Ironman! Looking forward to meeting you!

@Sam Lawrence , I heard about the conditions at Cork. Wow! Brutal. Only this race to prove you can race Kona next year. That will be something for us to all celebrate with you! Thanks for checking in!

• Options

@Sam Lawrence great to have you join IM Choo. Look forward to seeing get that Kona slot. @Sabra Gonzalez keep at it. Right there with you. Life, kids and injury take up training but keep at it and keep moving forward. Looking forward to meeting all of you in Chattanooga. @Sue DeJesus hope the back is doing well. @Scott Liston thanks for being the Race Captain. @Josh Church hope the knee is feeling better.

Have a great week and be safe on the roads.

• Options

Hi folks, it's Race Rehearsal Week!!!!

Many of you will be at the super duper Chattanooga Race Camp beginning Thursday. I look forward to seeing you there! If Camp at the venue doesn't work for you, here are some reminders for your personal Camp Week.

With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week. It represents the intersection of race execution and volume, presenting YOU the athlete with a chance to simultaneously improve your fitness and strategy. There are FANTASTIC videos/podcast about this high volume week. They will give IMPORTANT information so take a few minutes to listen and watch!!

Action Step 1 of 2: I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Patrick, GET THOSE IN YOUR PERSONAL THREAD IN THE OFFICIAL COACH FORUM NOW! Don't wait to ask them questions on Friday night for Saturday morning! 

What is a Race Rehearsal Week?

It's a regular training week with modifications to allow for a swim test, the 2 x 112 rides and a weekend long run. 

Ask Yourself: What do I need this weekend to get ready, then get your equipment dialed in!

• Thursday: Swim Test Day
    • Friday: Race Rehearsal #1 aka 112 Mile Ride + a 1 Hour Run. Read the full Race Rehearsal protocol here
    • Saturday: Up to 112 Mile Ride. How far you ride on Day Two is a function of your fitness and race goals, and of course, safety. At a minimum you'll want to do 56 miles, with more advanced athletes working upwards to a full 112.
    • Sunday: Long Run according to your plan; minimum of 13 miles.

Good luck and please post here how it went!

• Options

@Scott Liston so the Thursday swim test went well. I did the 4200 in 1:18:53 and still felt like I could go a little longer. Later in the day I did feel really fatigued and had to hold off on the ride today. I plan on doing the 6 hour ride tomorrow. I hope all is going well for the others!

• Options

Hey Scott, all - I'm in

This will be my third IM in Chattanooga and tenth IM to date. Looking forward to catching up with old friends and new. See you there

• Options

Hi @Julian Cass. We will be honored to have you join us and I look forward to meeting you in person!

• Options

@Joshua Green , thanks for the update on your race rehearsal swim.

How's the training going for others?

I get to finish my training with two broken ribs and a hip contusion from Saturday's collision with a German Shepard! The bike needs some new parts too but I think it will all work out and I'll see y'all at the start line!

• Options

@Julian Cass

I suspected you would be racing soon from watching your Strava build. Are you bringing the entire family? See you soon!

• Options

Hi folks,

Hope you are gearing up...our big race is almost here! 😱. 

Even if this isn’t your “A” race of the year, every race is a chance to walk through the mental exercise of getting ready. Ultimate Checklists are here, leave everything to a checklist so you don’t stress! 

To help you out, we’ve prepared a Pre Race Week Page on the Members Site as a reference.

>> Click Here for the Pre Race Week Page

Also, make sure you are affiliated with Endurance Nation through Ironman® so we can capture your points. You can affiliate yourself with Endurance Nation by creating a profile or updating your already existing profile via Ironman.

• Need help? Here’s a “How To” register video

We will be coordinating link ups for the Team Dinner, Four Keys and other connections on race week via Group Me.

See you at the race and let's connect all race week via GroupMe!

• Options

@Scott Liston thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

• Options

Folks, I will post a link to our team roster for the Dashboard to make it easier for our teammates to load us up in the Ironman Tracker. If you are not racing, you can chime in. I am looking forward to seeing many again and meeting others for the first time. Here we go!

Ironman Chattanooga is the North American TriClub Championship. Let's see if we can bring home 1st Place in our division. Here is everyone with Endurance Nation as their TriClub on the bib list to set up in your Tracker (I tagged you as I was able):

Jonathan Benson @Jonathan Benson

Dawn Cass @Dawn Cass

Julian Cass @Julian Cass

Joshua Church @Josh Church

Sue Dejesus @Sue DeJesus

Sabra Gonzalez @Sabra Gonzalez

Joshua Green @Joshua Green

Dusty Holcomb

Liz Jackson @Liz Jackson

Eric Kim

Sam Lawrence @Sam Lawrence

Scott Liston @Scott Liston

Bancroft McMurphy @bancroft

Doug Nyeholt

Michael Paul

John Scneider @John Schneider

Chad Scott @Chad Scott

Simon Shurey @Simon Shurey

Bruce Thompson @Bruce Thompson

Danielle Santucci @Danielle Santucci is also racing but did not have Endurance Nation as her TriClub as of the bib list. 

• Options

Everyone, you don't want to miss out on the fun. Please join the Group Me for the weekend.

GroupMe Admin: 

• Download the GroupMe App: iTunes Link  Google Play Store 
    • Find and Join Your Race Group Chat Online Here
    • Keep in mind times you are messaging - we recommend nothing before 6am and nothing after 10pm 
    • The Mute Button is your friend! You can either use “Office Hours” to mute it during the daytime only, or you can manually mute as you see fit. 
    • Jump in and out of the conversation when it is convenient for you! 

• Options

Tracker locked and loaded!!

• Options

Lots of strong performances out this today. I was busy on the tracker following everyone.