Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2019 70.3 Eagleman (Triclub Championships) Kick Off Thread - KEY RACE

edited February 14, 2019 3:20PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

Welcome to your official 2019 race thread! This will be home for you and your fellow teammates who are competing (and have competed) to train, learn and share with one another.

You’ll find lots of historical information here in this forum, and you can search above or use the main forum page. But it’s just as important to add your information from this year -- your workouts, volume weekends, race plans, highs and lows...it’s all here.

Race Captain - Rory Gumina

Ideally your event has a race captain to lead by sharing their training and generally being a really awesome, supportive person online. If you have one, their name is ^above^ … If not, you can request to become the Race Captain via email here (just remember to tell us the race you want to lead). You’ll get a free month of EN membership and some other cool stuff as our way of saying thanks.

We have a basic schedule to support the Race Captain, you can view it here  and it’s not a ton of work. Even if you don’t have a race captain, you can all use that schedule to make sure You are connecting around the critical parts of your season.

Looking for Your Fellow Racers?

Sometimes the hardest part of getting the community around a race started is finding your fellow racers! You can do that via our Race Database (online here, password is WORKWORKS) where you can search by race name such as “Placid,” etc. Once you have a list of names, you can use the “@” sign to tag them here in this thread (so they are notified) or you can send them a private message via the Forums as well.

GroupMe Chat

If you are looking for your Race GroupMe, you can search our official GroupMe page online here. Can’t find the GroupMe because There isn’t one for your race? You can request we make one for you via email here.

Have Questions or Need Help?

No worries, we’re here to help! You can send us an email right here so we can help you out. Please be sure to reference your race forum and give as much detail as possible.

~ Brenda

Comments

• Options

I'm signed up!

Sharing a house with several EN and non-EN peeps!

• Options

Hi Everyone! I just sent Group Me invite to those I was able to (eg. @Scott Alexander , @Jonathan Brown , @Steve Theobald , and @Leslie Schneider ) who weren't already in the Eagleman 70.3 Group Me (eg. Derrek, Mariah, Brenda)

@keiko ogasawara , @Doug Herr , @Carl Alleyne if you guys want to join us there as well, the link below should work ... but if not use the one in Brenda thread above: https://groupme.com/join_group/31666521/JE7LtU

We're 13 weeks out from this exciting Team EN Event!

I'm planning to start posting regularly both here and on Group Me next week, and I wanted to link in as many of us as possible. If you know of others that are planning to race 2019 Eagleman 70.3 please tag them here or via Group Me so they can be part of our Fun!

• Options

I'm late to the party but I am signed up

• Options

Excellent @Daniel Ballin ! I added you to the Group Me chat as well!

• Options

Hi Everyone! It is time to start race preparations! We are 12 weeks out from 2019 Eagleman 70.3 ... an Endurance Nation Team Event!, and we have a little administrative work before we go nuts with the training.

You will only receive THREE forum posts/emails during your training...And this is the first one!!!

Use the GroupMe App to check in daily/weekly with your fellow athletes. From time to time we will post messages in the GroupMe to keep you on track. Remember to follow your Roadmap, Training Plan and all you and Coach have put together. 

So let’s dive into the Admin details! 

Admin:

• Bring Friends! ... Get your friends to sign up an tell us during their Welcome Call and You’ll earn a free month! 
    • Got Teammates?  ... Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing to chime in.

GroupMe Admin: 

• Download the GroupMe App: iTunes Link  Google Play Store 
    • Find and Join Your Race Group Chat Online Here
    • Keep in mind times you are messaging - we recommend nothing before 6am and nothing after 10pm 
    • The Mute Button is your friend! You can either use “Office Hours” to mute it during the daytime only, or you can manually mute as you see fit. 
    • Jump in and out of the conversation when it is convenient for you! 

Training Admin: 

• Charge all your swim, bike and run electronics 
    • Tune up your bike 
    • Make sure all trainers, Zwifts etc are working and you’ve tested before. 
    • Order your Endurance Nation racing and training gear 
    • Watch all the videos - podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website (They are located on the right side of the training page)
    • Check out our sponsors to see if there is anything you need! 
    • Nutrition - Make sure to review race and training fueling webinars NOW because you need to be practicing every single day from now on! 
    • Order the first batch of your nutrition so you can start off practicing with a bang.
    • Race Execution Pages and Checklists are here, make sure to review them

Feel free to ask your teammates questions and make some friends along the way. 

The more everyone participates the more everyone will crush this race the Endurance Nation way! 

• Options

... And so Eagleman Training Ramp begins ... biggest TSS day for me in a while ... incl. Split Run ... woohoo! #workworks

• Options

In Mallorca for a week of training with hubs and friends. Wish I could’ve gone with Team EN but earning SAUs by going when hubs wanted to go. Absolutely beautiful here. So many cyclists! We areonthe north end of the island. Will report more later in week. Train on my friends!

• Options

Sounds great @Leslie Schneider ! ... share a picture if you get a chance!

• Options

Wk 9 Highlights: 2K continuous swim (1:37 pace); 4x1K runs z5 descending; 3 Zwift bike races; CTL 82 (+6 vs prev. wk)

Wk 10 Focus: 3K continuous swim @ incr. pace; Bike FTP test; Maintain Wkly Run miles, TSS, Power; CTL increase

• Options

Wk 10 Highlights: 3K swim (1:33 pace!), CTL 87 (+5 vs wk 9), Began phasing in race nutrition & hydration ... but wasn't able to complete Bike FTP test (life got in the way)

Wk 11 Focus: 3K swim @ incr. pace; Bike FTP and 4.5hr Challenge ride; Run Plyometrics (click on Resources in Final Surge app to see videos ... https://log.finalsurge.com/Resources.cshtml?key=d0d20be5-b6a7-41db-b241-253e5af81363)

Also, BIG THANKS to @Sheila Leard for her heads-up that 2019 Ironman on-course nutrition will now offer Gu Roctane gels (instead of Clif) and Base Performance Real Bars (instead of Clif mini bars) ... I haven't used either product, so plng to order each this week to try them out ... past strategy has been to "live off the land" when it comes to nutrition and hydration so it will be good to see how these work for me.

Good luck to ALL in your training this week! ... we're 10 wks out from Race Day!

• Options

See below and respond to @Doug Herr if interested ...

For the EN Eagleman house, we now have two available spots if anyone is interested - there is a private room with a single bed for $207.24 for the two nights and a single bed in the "dorm" room, which is shared with three other guys for $118.42.

All of the details can be found here:

2019 Eagleman Lodging

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lnKqwLgVq_UPWrq7MIcqT5leOY1sSdrlTHe0FAof2c4/edit#gid=0

Sheet1 2018 Eagleman…

Feel free to message Doug Herr with any questions or to book

• Options

Hey friends, we are also looking for a super sherpa - someone not racing but willing to take on some awesome cheerleading, picture taking etc responsibilities. Let me know if anyone is interested!

• Options

Hi @Mariah Bridges ,

yes, I am racing. And I’ll ask my husband if he is interested in being a super Sherpa. He’ll be with me.

• Options

9 wks out from Eagleman!!!!!!

Wk 11 Highlights: 2 Bike FTP bumps ... and executed 4hr ride with race day hydration & nutrition; Introduced Run Plyometrics; 3K swim (<1:30 pace, faster than wk10); CTL 92 (+5 vs wk 10),

Wk 12 Focus: Bike FTP and big Wknd; Swim T-pace test & Pink Mist wko (10x300); Adductor exercises and stretching (to address some cramping after 4.5hr ride this wk);

Hope everyone's training is going well!

• Options

Lots of life getting in the way so I started training today :) I messaged @Doug Herr to his email about the extra bed in the dorm room but have not heard back. Hopefully he sees this post. Happy training.

• Options

8 wks out from Eagleman!!!!!!

Wk 12 Highlights: Swim T-Pace & Pink Mist wko's; Race Day hydration & nutrition tweaks on Bike; CTL 90 (same wk 11 ... little tired this week)

Wk 13 Focus: Pink Mist round 2; 90 min. Run; Ramp up adductor exercises & stretching; Plan for Race Rehearsal Wknd May 2-5;

Keep pushing Everyone!

• Options

7 wks till Eagleman!!!!!!

Wk 13 Highlights: Long S/B/R each ok; Race Rehearsal wknd plans in-place (May 2-5); Adductor exercises continue; CTL 93 (+1 from last wk)

Wk 14 Focus: FS HIM Plan says optional Run Focus wk ... aim for +6 to +10 miles; Swim 10x200 @ T-5 w/descending rest ... yikes; Hacking wknd rides into M-F given wknd travel;

How is your training going?

• Options

6 wks till Eagleman! ... and that means it's Race Rehearsal Week!!!

With each week comes a little more excitement for the BIG DAY! So let’s talk about this week. It represents the intersection of race execution and volume, presenting YOU the athlete with a chance to simultaneously improve your fitness and strategy. There are FANTASTIC videos/podcast about this high volume week. They will give IMPORTANT information so take a few minutes to listen and watch!!

Action Step 1 of 2: I would recommend if you have specific questions for Coach Patrick, GET THOSE IN YOUR PERSONAL THREAD IN THE OFFICIAL COACH FORUM NOW! Don't wait to ask them questions on Friday night for Saturday morning! 

What is a Race Rehearsal Week?

It's a regular training week with modifications to allow for a swim test, the 2 x 112 rides and a weekend long run. 

Ask Yourself: What do I need this weekend to get ready, then get your equipment dialed in!

• Thursday: Swim Test Day
    • Friday: Race Rehearsal #1 aka 112 Mile Ride + a 1 Hour Run. Read the full Race Rehearsal protocol here
    • Saturday: Up to 112 Mile Ride. How far you ride on Day Two is a function of your fitness and race goals, and of course, safety. At a minimum you'll want to do 56 miles, with more advanced athletes working upwards to a full 112.
    • Sunday: Long Run according to your plan; minimum of 13 miles.

Good luck and please post here how it went!

• Options

Wk 14 Highlights: Long run despite wknd travel; swim & rides just ok;

Wk 15 Focus: Race Rehearsal!!!

• Options

@Rory Gumina 112 mile bike ride ... in 3.5 hours? I think you accidentally loaded @Coach Patrick 70.3 training plan? 😂 Thanks for all your forum posts here. I have some travel myself week after next; not thrilled about hotel bike but will make it work.

• Options

Coach is def the over-achiever @Ross Randolph ! Fitting training around "life" is part of our deal ... tho I think my travel sched. is clear now till Eagleman road trip. Good luck w/RR this week!

• Options

... Race Rehearsal Protocol link above didn't work for me ... below should ... and, yeah, 56 mile rides, not 112! ...

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Rehearsal+Protocol

• Options

5 Wks till Eagleman!!! ... How did everyone's Race Rehearsals go???

Wk 15 Highlights:  mostly successful Race Rehearsals! ... plus took a first shot at my Race Plan just to make sure I got my RR's dialed in ... RR Swim was a fail (chest congestion) but gonna give it another shot tomorrow!

Wk 16 Focus: Update my Race Plan from RR learnings, and, per Coach's note in Final Surge:

Visit the Race Preparation Phase Page for additional admin instructions and guidance!

Visit the Race Preparation Phase Page Click here. [ http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RacePrep[Final12Weeks].aspx

• Options

Due to vacation, returning from vacation, bad weather and being all around lazy, I finally got on the bike yesterday for the first time in 2+ weeks, and boy oh boy what a difference a proper "taper" makes. I crushed my training partners yesterday, you couldn't slow me down...it was awesome!

Wish I could say the same with my swimming and running, but at least my bike will be good! haha

• Options

Nice Job @Scott Alexander ! Today was my first time OUTSIDE on my tri bike in almost 10 months! We still have few wks to dial everything ... thankfully! Good luck w/your swimming & running!

• Options

4 Wks till Eagleman!!! ... It's gettin' REAL!

Wk 16 Highlights: Swim making a comeback from chest congestion; 3 rides Outdoors!!! ... plus FTP bump! Run continues to be consistent;

... and @Derrek Sanks , @Danielle Santucci and @Jeremy Behler did some Eagleman course recon!!!

Wk 17 Focus: Continue to re-build Swim; Run Half Race Sim (incl. dialing in Power Plan); Big bike wknd (3hrs each day);

• Options

Finally booked a rental car and tribike transport last night. Those are the final pieces of the puzzle for logistics for me.

Now, it's time to start running and swimming! haha