Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽโ€บ 140.6 Forumsโ€บ Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Kona Newbie Question #2 2019

Of the week long events, which are not to be missed?

Ho'ala swim

UPR

pre race dinner/ceremony

midnight finish

awards ceremony

any others?

Also what are the driving conditions during the race? is it impossible to get downtown?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I often donโ€™t go to dinners. But this one is neat.

• Options

I liked the Ho'ala swim. I was a good chance to practice sighting and swimming in traffic.

It is difficult to get close to waterfront once the race starts because of the course closures (Ali and Kuakini). Kuakini eventually opens later.... Bikes are a good option for spectators to get around. Queen K (Hawaii Belt Road/Route 11) is open east of Palani.

So, it kinda depends on what you are trying to do. The year we watched, we parked just north of Queen K (Hawaii Belt Road/Route 11) and walked down the hill to downtown. We got a great seat on the seawall to watch the swim start, bike in/out and start of the run. We walked back up the hill and had no trouble getting back our condo to the east. When I participated, my wife dropped us (Dave Tallo and I) off at stupid early in the morning at the top of Palani and we walked to transition. She came back later and parked closer - which was a nightmare (1.5+ hour wait) to get out when I finished because of traffic downtown - rookie mistake. I'm sure the multiple time qualifiers have better ninja logistics skills - including staying downtown and avoiding the traffic at the end of the race.

• Options

I've always stayed in a Condo near the Royal Kona Hotel, about a mile from the pier/transition area. So walking everywhere "downtown" was easy. Same this year: Hale Kona Kai, or Kona Reef. So I nor my entourage/posse has never really worried about race day parking.

As to what events: I found the swim which replicates race day to be too much, but other younger, stronger athletes probably find value as it helps you learn just how LONG this pure out and back swim is, and how mean the return trip can be, with swell, wind and current, even in calm seas. The UPR is better to watch than participate in, IMO; it's become so huge since I first saw it 15 years ago that one gets lost in it. The pre and post dinners are NOT AT ALL the same as other IMs, much longer for one things, and complete with big stage productions. Best to show up WAY early at least one athlete to snag a good spot for others. Non-athletes will have to go through separate line anyway. Village is much better than typical IM, as EVERYONE from the industry is there.

For my personal perspective, you might want to read my series of vignettes about required pilgrimage stops race week, starting with this post: http://bikrutz.org/triblog/?p=1721 and 8 following posts.

• Options

Out of that list. IMHO the only thing not to be missed is the Ho'ala Swim.

Stay as close as you can, this makes your daily morning swims very convenient and you will be really happy on race morning/evening and so will your sherpa. Holiday Inn Express is a great location.

• Options

Make sure you add some of the fun places to eat too. Lava Java, the Kona Brewing Company and the shaved ice place downtown are some of our go to places.

As to getting around race day, there are a lot of Uberโ€™s around now. Just walk up the hill a few blocks above the race course so itโ€™s much easier to connect.

• Options

Thanks everyone.