Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Rob Tune 2019 Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Comments

• Race plan looks great. Don’t worry about change the food but do have some salt pills in case you need to add more.

Note, hotter races mean you’ll typically drink more/eat less on the run. Don’t be afraid to “eat as you need” later in the day.

And stay wet...lots of water on you!!

good luck!

~ Coach P

• Rob, Good luck this weekend. Stay wet on the bike! Water on you. I want to hear all about it when you get back.

@Rob Tune

• edited September 27, 2019 6:20PM

Rob, a few more notes for racing in the heat. Your note of feeling like you are holding back is spot on and getting/keeping your heart rate down at the beginning of the run and the bike. Ride that steady effort and apply your hill flattening skills. Athletes will be doing all kinds of wild stuff - blasting out of transition and will be rockstars in the first 30' to hour of the bike and the run. Please be patient. Let all of them go. You will collect all of them later in bike or on the run. You have developed a good sense of RPE (relative perceived exertion) and have a good idea of what the numbers look like. Be prepared for the power numbers to be a bit lower and heart rate a bit higher. All the better to use RPE. Aerobic efficiency rules and your aerobic over the entire day is good enough. Working too hard is greatly magnified. For the run, you can carry a small ziplock bag - it is great to hold ice in your hands and it's easy to stuff the empty bag in a pocket or ditch it.

@Rob Tune

• Rob, how did it go?

• @Rob Tune Nice work on the race report. I sat down to summarize our call, then I saw your report. I enjoyed reading it. You might want to edit/add/document how much salt you took. Cramping was not a problem so that indicates you got the hydration, salt combination about right. I would have liked to hear that you either peed on the bike or at the beginning of the run. I added a few points your thread and tagged Jeremy and John Withrow. Both Kona guys and both from your area. Well done.

• edited October 25, 2019 6:48PM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2020-06-14) #70.3WI_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/22/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 2/16/2020
    • On 2/17/2020 Load the  -- Run Focus Block to end on 3/29/2020
    • On 3/30/2020 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/21/2020
    • On 6/22/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/5/2020

Your Notes

Elkhart Olympic Triathlon (June 2019)

Bigfoot Olympic Triathlon (June 2019)

Ironman Augusta 70.3 (September 2019)

Current fitness is Ironman 70.3-ready.Running 3X Week

Biking 3X Week

Swimming 1-2X Week

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Hey Coach P, The plan above looks awesome. But it looks like it’s built for the Full Wisconsin Ironman in September. Right now, all I have planned is the Wisconsin 70.3 in June. I’m guessing that will change things. I apologize if I missed something, and for being a pain in the ass!

Thanks!

• @Rob Tune Its not you, its me!!! 🤣 I have fixed the dates now, my bad!

• edited October 25, 2019 11:08PM

Hey Rob, We saw your note and I talked with Coach Patrick. He plans on re-attacking your season plan. In the meantime he thinks you can start the OutSeason now since your race is in June.

It is 14 weeks and will get you into Feb 2020.

The difference between the Run Durability and OutSeason is: there is less running in the OutSeason and more intense interval focused work on the bike. Don't worry, there is still enough running to keep a baseline of fitness - but the goal is to make some gains on the bike. You will also be entering the OutSeason with everyone else doing "early" races - like all the folks doing IM St. George in May. You will be in the OutSeason with them - and be able to share training stories and accountability.

@Rob Tune

• Thanks guys, everything looks great. I'm all set! Excited for the OutSeason to start.

A week or so ago, @JeremyBehler and I had lunch and talked about my goals for WI 70.3. I wanted to share those with you:

1) Achieve Better Fitness, Body Comp to enable stronger performance. I want to pull my Body Fat % down from 11% (ideally around 9%). I also want to strengthen my core (ie. prevent back injuries and stay comfortable longer in the saddle).

2) Achieve Performance More In-line With My Expectations. Mainly, I want to finish in the Top 25% for my AG. I think that means I need a 5:20 time. For me, I think this translates to the following:

• 1:55 Swim pace - Same as Augusta. Only this time, do it without a current. Anticipating I may need to work on my swim more than the average person during OutSeason
    • 19.5mph Bike Pace - Should be easier to accomplish in the milder temps of WI. But, I need to add lots of Power during to OutSeason to get there.
    • 8:00 Run Pace - Again, more OutSeason work. I know I can run this pace, but need to get my fitness up so I can do this after Swim/Bike

This won't be easy to accomplish by any stretch... but I think they're good goals to push me!

Also, wanted to share a little tid-bit of info. I FINALLY got around to a Sweat Test. HUGE learning here. Should have done this a long time ago.

Thanks for all the guidance guys!

• @Rob Tune Coach Patrick would like to do a Podcast with you!  He would like other folks to hear your story about how you found EN, your preparation for Augusta (fitness and learning), and your experience with the Team so far. We think you have a story that would resonant with a lot of other age groupers. The podcast is pretty easy. Coach Patrick will call you, go over a little admin, then he just records the conversation. What do you think? Let me know. Matt

Here is the link to schedule.  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/podcast 

• Hey Matt! Hope you're well!

Podcast sounds cool, I'll look at the schedule and get something on the books!

• Awesome 👊. I'm stoked too!

• @Rob Tune Nice work on the podcast. My favorite ideas from you were the wargaming and the quote "I'm not to going to stop looking for races in warm climates - I'm just going to know how to execute them a little better." Your tone and expression - were like "that would be a ridiculous thing to do - I'm just going to figure it out." No backing down. I love it. Great contribution.

• @matt limbert @Coach Patrick Just wanted to touch base with you guys on a couple of things.

First - After a long November OutSeason, I actually had a well-executed FTP test this morning. After getting a lot of sound advice from my fellow teammates and researching the internet, I think I finally found my groove for taking these tests. More over, I hit my goal for Week 15. Overall my FTP increased +15% since the beginning of the OutSeason, something I'm super proud of! Thank you so much for the guidance you guys have provided since Day 1! When I got off the bike, I wanted to share my moment with you both. Thanks!

Second - (Please reference my schedule below) I have my Swim Camp starting next week, then I have this 5 week period of time (the purple section below) that I am not sure what to do with it. My training for Madison 70.3 doesn't start until March 23. Any guidance on how I should fill this time?

Thanks Again Guys!

• @Rob Tune

Congratulations on the FTP test. Nice work!💪👊 15% is evidence of consistent, legit hard work.

There is a 4 week 2020 Half Prep Plan. Use that for 4 weeks and either repeat the last week or repeat the first week of the upcoming race prep block. The 4 week prep plan is build for exactly that time frame of the season. It has a balance of swim, run, and bike and will make a great transition from OutSeason and swim camp getting your ready for the race specific training in the next few weeks.

• @matt limbert

Had a great 10K test yesterday, and ran harder than I thought I could. Built my vDOT, beat my target pace (7:11 / mile), Good progress!

Over the last couple of weeks, I have developed somewhat of a sore knee that hasn't gone away. To get right to the point, does it make more sense for me to take a little break to let my body rest, or should I go straight into Swim Camp, and just dial back intensity?

My knee is sore, I don't think I am injured, but I want to make sure I listen to my body and address symptoms of potential fatigue. I have an appointment with a physical therapist to take a look at my knee, but I couldn't get in for 2 weeks. This knee soreness does not impact my ability to workout (yet). However, I start to feel it after my workouts. Since testing this week was intense... I'm feeling it hard now.

• @Rob Tune the function of some camp is to specifically allow you to rest. Very minimal cycling and running in there in plenty of time in the water to allow your body to absorb the work you've done. If fortune is on our side, a brief bout of rest will be all your body needs to let your knee heal and get you back on track. But it could be a larger underlying issue here.

When you get a chance, bust out your phone and post a few pictures here indicating for us with your hands Where the pain is on your knee so we can better understand the situation you're facing.

Enjoy your break! And congratulations on the test result. 💪

• @Coach Patrick Here’s a picture to show where the soreness is in my knee. It’s on the inside of my right knee, toward the lower part of my knee.

As mentioned earlier, the soreness isn’t preventing me from working out. But I’m more curious if there’s a potential issue that needs to be dealt with, or if my knee just needs a little rest. Oddly enough, the time I feel it the most, is when I’m stretching with my legs spread apart (see picture below). The downward pressure on the side of my knee causes some pain. I have to be very slow in standing up, otherwise, I experience a sharper pain.

I was able to get an earlier appointment with my physical therapist (next Tuesday). Until then, I am just going to keep going, get as much rest as possible, and not push too hard.

• @Rob Tune I am glad you are meeting your PT. Here's a quick chart; so part of me is concerned with the MCL, but I am sure if you were tackled in the superbowl or wiped out on the halfpipe in your latest snowboard competition you'd remember it. Maybe a kid injury showing up?

The alternative is that is where your adductor attaches, and could be irritated? Sometimes due to biomechanical reasons, athletes over use their adductor to accompish basic movements like running / cycling. For example, poor range of motion in the hips forces athletes who want to run to recruit their adductor to get that leg to move the way they want it to. I'd be curious to hear how you feel during a butterfly stretch.

Lets be cautious in the meantime and please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Thanks @Coach Patrick , a couple of additional thoughts that could be contributing:

1). The pain started about a month ago, when I came back from the holidays and hit my Functional Strength Training hard. Didn't experience an acute painful feeling... but this could have gotten things started.

2). Since then, I also started SLOWLY working in Newton's (Kismet) into my shoe repertoire. While I don't think that was the problem... only walked a little and jogged a Very Little (<1 mile a couple of time), I suppose it could have contributed. BTW, I took them back and went with a less dramatic drop in drop.

3). Honestly, I wanted to kick ass in the OutSeason after the holidays so I tried to push myself harder in daily workouts, and in testing. I also couldn't say no to the Strava Roka "Rise to the Challenge" Challenge. That resulted in me working out every day for 28 days. I wasn't doing 1 hour workouts everyday, but that might be contributing to some over-use.

I will share all of this with my PT when I meet with them next week. I'll keep you posted.

• @Coach Patrick ; @matt limbert

Met with the Physical Therapist this morning, and things seem to be pretty good. I have some sort of strain in my Gracilis muscle. We weren't able to reproduce any pain in my knee through a myriad of movements, so confidence is high that we aren't looking at a ligament or cartilage issue. Rather, the tenderness he located was along my soft tissue near the outside of my knee and (surprisingly) up near my groin.

He wants me to avoid doing stretches that cause discomfort in this area, start a regular regiment of NSAID and wear compression shorts for a couple of weeks. I have a follow-up appointment in 3 weeks.

• @Rob Tune that's great news on the knee; kudos to you resting it and getting to the PT. What did the PT say was on the table / ok for your training in the interim time?

Also, you should wear the compression shorts OVER THE TOP of your work clothing to earn respect from your co-workers and superiors. 🤣

• @Coach Patrick no restrictions on training, other than don't do things that hurt. So, I'm good to go!

Sadly the compression shorts couldn't get tight enough on my bird legs, so I have to go another route. But, since I wore this to the last work social function, I now command respect!

• Oh, I am definitely thinking of a few commands… But respect is not one of them. 🤣

• @Rob Tune I cannot un-see that. 😨

• @Rob Tune assuming you aren’t in jail for wearing that outfit, how are things going? Drop us a line when you get a chance.

• @Coach Patrick, no arrests that I know of! Things have been improving (slowly) based on the treatment I am working on. Usually if I overdo it, I don't feel it while working, I feel it afterwards. So, I have been patient and attentive to what my body is saying to me. Today, I cut my run short 15 minutes right after the Main Set, because I was a little tired. So, I think I'm pretty good, and just need to stay patient. I don't think groins are quick to recover. I have a follow-up with my PT in a week or so to evaluate.

Other than that, I am starting to dive into Training Peaks for the first time, thanks to some guidance from @matt limbert ! And, I'm looking for somewhat of a breakthru in my swim to get me to my goals. I have a coaching session lined up beginning this Thursday. Gonna bust out the video camera and get my form in line!

Hope you guys are well!

• @Rob Tune wow, those swim sessions sound awesome. If you ever feel comfortable with it, feel free to post a video here or a link to one we could see online. I love how you are pushing the knowledge side of the equation just as you are doing a better job of listening to your body. I see progress in your future!