Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Rob Tune 2019 Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Comments

• Options

Hey Guys (@Coach Patrick @matt limbert)! I am closing in on the end of a Bike Block training plan right now, and the initial thought was to go straight from this to my race training. I know nobody has a crystal ball, and pretty much everyone I speak to thinks races are done this year.

But, I just saw that IM 70.3 Lubbock looks like it's still on in just two weeks. Not sure how that's gonna happen, but it leads me to this question...

Am I better off race training, or using this time to get faster (do a run block, or even another bike plan)???

I feel like my fitness is really in a good place right now, and only going to get better, and my body is in a good place (knock on wood). I like what's happening now, but don't want to burn out, or waste a good opportunity.

Any sage-like advice on my training plan?

• Options

@Rob Tune Always good to hear from you! You have been killing the consistency since early May. It's great to know that you feel good and your fitness is progressing. It is always tricky to get the balance of rest and recovery, and you really seem to have found that sweet spot.

We really like your season to have the ebb and flow. We typically get that cycle through the natural progression of build, peak, taper, and recover from races. Without the races this year we need to be a bit more thoughtful for how we get that ebb and flow across the season.

Let's take the big picture view for a second. You did some really good build and progression with the OutSeason Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and then ran into a bit of ebb in March and April - partly do to your injury and followed by the curve ball of Coronavirus.

Your current progress with bike specificity block was a good re-entry and you got back on a consistent schedule in early May. We would consider the OutSeason a flow, March/April (injury and coronavirus) an ebb, followed by this current flow period starting in May. So yeah, there is definitely more opportunity to continue to build.

What do you think of the DIY triathlon with the team at the end of August? We have the minimalist plan loaded up next, which would prepare your that event no problem. That might give you/us some more insight on where you stand overall and where you would be starting from for a fall IM or HIM race. By the end of August we might also have more insight on how all these fall races are going to pan out. If you think there is a fall IM or IM race opportunity, we could follow up with a late season IM or HIM block for a mid-Oct or Nov race. If the fall races don't get you excited, then we can do a final block of intensity for 6 weeks or so before we shift to a Durability block and eventually the OutSeason. Again, we want to have that natural ebb and flow to your season.

I like everything you are talking about. You are progressing, you are in a good place mentally and physically, you are looking for other opportunities, all in context of your larger season. You might be interested in this set of videos that Coach Patrick put together for thinking about your season overall. Scroll down watch the videos in Phase 2. Think about how the work you do now, sets up either a fall race or Outseason starting point.

BTW. Did you see IM's return to racing video. Here. Depending on what race experience you are looking for, this is how IM is shaping expectations.

What do you think?

• Options

@matt limbert , I have been passively ignoring virtual racing opportunities since the pandemic began. Lately I have been revisiting that decision as the reality of zero public races for me sets in. Part of the reason I love racing of any kind is the excitement, the pageantry of the event, the energy... etc. I haven't been able to get over that hump, but your message has broken through to me and I am now really considering it.

I think the mechanics of my season are a little unclear. As of now, I am registered for Wisconsin 70.3 on September 13th. If I do the late August DIY Tri, that pretty much assumes that the race on the 13th won't happen, right? Or would I do two races that close to each other?

I enjoyed the bike block, but my test this morning was atrocious, and I bailed on it mid-way due to a ton of excuses and distractions. I need to find a solution to FTP testing, 'cause right now it isn't working for me. Not sure what to do here. I've read several articles. I've done different routines that don't seem to work. Do you have any guidance? How do you FTP test?

• Options

@Rob TuneI I totally understand your perspective on virtual racing. There is something special about the pageantry and the event. I was skeptical of the VR event but I enjoyed cheering for Peter Noyes doing the IM in his garage (COVIDMAN) once his St. George race was cancelled/postponed and I liked the group engagement Coach Patrick put together for UltraMay. Coach Patrick is trying to build the same EN community momentum and social engagement for the DIY Tri. That might help fill some of the excitement and energy of an event. It won't replace the pageantry, but they typically get a pretty good vibe going. Coach Patrick has a video lesson a week planned - how to chose a course, race pacing, sweat testing, how to use volume pop, race pacing, etc. All that content will be a good reminder!

As for the season mechanics, I think you can do both DIY Tri and Wisconsin 70.3! They are not mutually exclusive. Your plan will have you peak for Wisconsin 70.3. If it goes as planned then you can use the DIY Tri as your race rehearsal (you are scheduled for race rehearsal that weekend anyway - just make the run shorter than the DIY Tri). If Wisconsin does not go, then you can decide if you want to taper early and go all in on the DIY Tri or go through the entire training block and do your own event 13 Sept - just to get a two more weeks of training.

We do have to make a decision on your training block. We have the HIM minimalist plan loaded right now, but it is missing some workouts in the first few weeks. Are those missing on purpose? If you like the minimalist plan we can clean up the schedule and reload it and get all those workouts back in there. Otherwise, we can load up the HIM bike focused plan. The big difference between the plans is that the minimalist plan has only 1 workout a day Mon-Fri. The HIM Bike Focused will have some days with 2x sessions a day. If you have the time and motivation, roll with the HIM Bike focused plan. Go all in on Wisconsin. If something goes sideways, I bet you could talk Jeremy into going hard with you on your own DIY event.

Bummer to hear about your aborted FTP test. Sometimes its not your day. I would just forget it and move on. Your previous note was really positive and you sounded really good. Your VO2 long last week looked good with an average heart rate of 163 and 166 for those 2x 8' VO2 long intervals outside. That is serious work! Your FTP test was inside on the trainer staring at the power meter. There is most likely nothing mentally harder. The Zwift race is really the best alternative and might be the next step for you indoor training this fall/winter. You get all the dynamics, distractions, motivation, and competition of racing to get you through those key moments when it is just too hard. Folks in the Zwift GroupMe chat are constantly resetting what that thought was hard by using Zwift.

I'm really interested to hear what you think. Let us known what you want to do with the minimalist vs bike focused block too.

• Options

Alright @matt limbert , I'm signed up for the DIY Tri. I loaded the HIM Bike Focused Plan, and am going at it. I need a couple of weeks to get my swim back in-gear, but I'm in!

• Options

@Rob Tune Nice! 👊Let's do this! Makes me think of my favorite philosopher, LL Cool J. "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years."

• Options

@matt limbert We need to warn the others that @Rob Tune Is in and out for blood!!! 💪👊

• Options

@Rob Tune Good bet. #Darkhorse. @Coach Patrick

• Options

@matt limbert and @Coach Patrick

Morning Gents, felt like I needed to give you an update on how things have been going for me. I'm trying to keep this succinct, so if more details are needed let me know.

Training going great, Fitness at all time high for me (approach 100 CTL), feeling good, and my cycling work is starting to pay off.

After a couple of hard-pushing workouts this week, I had a very sensitive groin develop (tender to the touch and hard to walk). During that time, developed a low grade fever that lasted 1 night (Weds) and felt nausea.

It killed me to slow down my progress, but I paused my workouts to give myself some rest. Started on a regiment of Advil. Saw the Dr.

Dr. was highly confident this isn't COVID, but we couldn't be too careful, so we tested (Thu). I haven't gotten results yet. He also checked me for a hernia (based on groin + fever) and didn't find anything. Gave me the Ok to train, but keep an eye out. Advil and rest have really paid off, groin feels pretty good now.

I missed workouts on Thu and Fri - no big deal. Challenge Ride today, but I woke up feeling light headed. With the heat + humidity + my recent issues, I am not comfortable pushing a challenge ride right now. My plan is to keep resting and see where things are on Sunday & Monday. If I feel up to it, I may just have an exploratory light workout on Sunday to see how my body reacts. If I am good, I will start on Monday with a regular training week (no test week).

Does this make sense? Any advice given the circumstances? Thanks!!!

• Options
    edited July 14, 2020 1:01AM

@Rob Tune Good to hear from you. Glad to hear it's not COVID. Read this earlier and then it got past me! So sorry.

What is the update? Resting was a great call BTW.

Did you see the PT guy that helped with your knee/gracilis muscle?

BTW. Thanks for filling out the survey. You mentioned trouble trying to find stuff. That is a longer term project that Coach Patrick is working on. Part of it requires moving all the content to a different software platform that has better search function etc. That will take a while. What were you looking for? Maybe know where it is buried. 🤣

• Options

@matt limbert the plan was to go yesterday and get checked out with the same PT, but I hadn't gotten my COVID test results yet, so I canceled. I received them later and am all clear, no COVID.

Resting was definitely the right call. My groin is completely clear now and I have been working out the last two days with no issues. Not sure what happened, but it's gone now. My PMC isn't as consistent now as I wanted, but I am starting to see a pattern in how I respond to building fitness over a period of time and the appearance of (minor) injuries that ultimately force me to slow down. Starting to geek out more on the data, which is cool.

Glad you guys saw the survey! I have personally struggled with finding things on the site since I started. The result is that I can sometimes have anxiety about posting questions that I KNOW the answers are on the site, I just can't find them. I don't have a specific example now, but will see if I can come up with some stuff. Really glad to hear that you guys are working on it. If there is anything I can do to help (use me as a sounding board, or focus group of 1... etc), let me know! My background is in marketing, and maybe I can help?

Thanks again! Hope you're doing well!

• Options

@Rob Tune - So good to hear that it isn't COVID...and that the rest has helped turn the groin issue around as well. I think this is an opportunity to review your normal flow of "athletic wellness" into where we can proactively factor in some rest for you? Is that something you'd be interested in?

As for the site...we'd love your feedback...we are making an update to the site this Fall as we move things on our site from an older platform to wordpress. At that time we'll definitely need to revisit how things are structured and what does and doesn't work. We'll take you up on it!

~ Coach P

Ps - always ask us...we can help!

• Options

@Coach Patrick , @matt limbert definitely should regroup to talk about my normal flow of athletic wellness, and being more proactive with rest.

This weekend I will put some thoughts together that explain my experience with the site.

Thanks guys!

P.S. - Got my racesaver bag Coach P!!! Thanks

• Options

@Rob Tune NICE!! Joy it on your next hot long run! I always make sure to swing by the house to grab some ice on those tough days.

• Options

@matt limbert can we connect this week about my training? Would love to catch up on proactive rest, and since I no longer have WI 70.3, I am wondering if I should shift my training to the DIY?

Also, I managed to get Ironman to allow me to shift my WI 70.3 registration to the full IM Wisconsin next year. I think it might also be time to talk about longer-term/3yr plan for me.

Thanks!

Rob

• Options

@Rob Tune I would love to talk. Do any of these times work for you? If they don't that's cool. Let me know what does and we'll set it up. That is great news that IM gave you the option for IM WI. Now, get Jeremy to be your training buddy and you guys can crush it!

Yes, we can switch up your training for the DIY. We need to remove two weeks and you will be all set. The key will be what two weeks. We will keep the last two (week 11 & 12) because they are the taper and the taper is awesome. We have some flexibility on the others. It depends on what you want to work on or how you are feeling overall. Your consistency has been great and your comments for the Max bike workout last week are awesome. You ARE a stud! 👊 Congratulations those power all time bests!

Talk to you soon.

• Options

@Rob Tune I forgot to add:

You mentioned Proactive rest. Coach Patrick just did a video work:rest ratio here. Slides here

You also mentioned 3 year plan and season planning. Watch Phase 2 and Phase 3 videos here

• Options

@matt limbert already checked out the work:rest ratio video and slides. Learned a lot and actually started changing some things up in my routine. Seems like it was more geared toward recovery actions/remedies (ie. Nutrition, Hydration, Sleep, Total System). Would love to see if there are some guidelines we can discuss that can help me understand when I should be more proactive in planning rest (ie. reduce volume, change workout to lighter TSS... etc).

Glad you saw those comments, I literally wrote them in hopes that someday you would laugh at that. I am definitely NOT a stud, but I'm on my way... and was proud of those figures.

• Options

@Rob Tune Do you have time. We could talk now? If so, send me your number again.

• Options

@matt limbert Sure, call me at (920) 892-3551

• Options

Hey hey, this isn't a dating app! 🤣

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Now that I am through with the DIY Race (race report is coming), I wanted to connect with you on how we can build a more thoughtful plan for me. I have been avoiding the 3-year planning for some time thinking that I needed to get in a couple of long-course events under my wing to determine what it is that I want to do. Well now I have it! Simply put, I’m in, and I am planning on stepping up to Full IM Distance next year. That being said, I would love to put together a thoughtful strategy taking into account my strengths and opportunities, so I am ready to attack my goals in an appropriate & purposeful way. 

I have outlined my SWOT below at a high level. If you’d like more detail, I can provide - just say the word!

•        Strengths: Macro (Run), Specific (Planning, Progress, Dedication/Passion/Drive)

•        Weakness: Macro (Swim), Specific (Bike Testing, Time @ FTP+, Workout Discipline & Power Spiking)

•        Opportunities: Do Everything Faster, Strengthen Bike (+ W/Kg), Strengthen Bike Testing Ability/Comfort

•        Threats: Time & Life Balance, Finances, Facilities / Weather

Matt and I have been talking, and he recommended my next step would be to leverage this strength of yours (your Jedi Planning Skills) to help get me on the right path. Is that okay?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

• Options

@Rob Tune - sure...I think putting a plan together is helpful. That said, we don't want to get too specific. After all, things can change (hello, pandemic!) So we need to have some flexibility in the model.

I'm happy to help you sketch out what things would look like from a bigger picture perspective. We can do it here in the forms and go back-and-forth which would work.

Or you can sign up for a coach consult online which I believe is about $50 and we can get on the phone and do it in greater detail. It's really up to you.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    Flexibility is the name of the game!!! That being said, some broad strokes would be helpful. Let’s start with the coaching thread and if I ask too many questions, you can just tell me to schedule a coaches call. What other info can I share with you to get goin?
  • Options

Great! I think that the only thing that I really need is your long term goal (is it an event? a performance? something else?). That really helps me determine what success means for you...both over the three year journey but also incrementally across each year.

The other SWOT stuff is good...the last piece would be what has proven to be a limiter for you in the past. IOW, what's the underlying thing that keeps popping up to hold you back?

Thanks!

Patrick

• Options
    Goals: I need some help here. I know what I want (see below). Not sure
    how long it will take, and what other goals to consider. Translate:
    Feedback welcomed!
    Overall - Achieve Top 25% For Age Group
    Races - Move up to Full Ironman, Compete in multiple races (already
    signed up for 2021 IM Wisconsin)
    Cycling - I want to elevate my Watts / w/kg (currently at 3.24) I know
    this doesn't happen overnight, but this is what I would love to
    accomplish: 2021 (250 W, 3.6) 2022 (275 W, 4.0) 2023 (300 W, 4.3).

In terms of "Limiters" in the past. I would really narrow it down to Time
    and Money. Big things right?
    Time: You have to put in the time and effort to improve. But balance
    (Family/Tri/Work) is hard to achieve. I suspect I will never master this,
    but I need to challenge myself to get better at it!
    Money: New bike, Race fees, Nutrition, Fancy bike shorts... I really don't
    know how people do it. This is going to be more about maturity and ego.
    Figuring out what is most important, and staying laser focused.

Hope this is useful. If you need more, or something different, just say
    the word!
  • Options

@Rob Tune - this is a great start! I see this as follows:

2021 - Bike Focused Build Year

• Upgrade to Ironman Distance with a successful race defined as a steady run performance (no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run). [September]
    • En route to that milestone in Sept 2021, we build your bike FTP up to 250W by the end of the OutSeason®  [April]
    • From now to the start of the OutSeason® , we build your Run Durability up to 25 mpw [End of December]
    • $$$ investment in indoor / winter set up for max training.

2022 - Run Focused Build Year

• Depends on races, lessons learned but milestones include:
    • Continued FTP development
    • Half Marathon for Performance
    • 2 x HIM Races, real racing.
    • Follow up IM performance, target bike splits.
    • Potential end of season marathon.
    • $$ investment in xtra 70.3 races and/or potential bike / equipment upgrade.

2020 - Race Focused Year

• FTP grows.
    • 1 x HIM
    • 2 x IM for performance (one build, two races within 6 weeks of each other)

Thoughts?

~ Coach P

• Options

Love it! I never would have thought this way. I appreciate the balance between bike and run focus. I also like leaning in on HIM, Marathons and Half Marathons.

Just a couple of questions:

• What does 25mpw mean?
  • Options

Jeez, it cut off my message to you... here are the last two questions

• If you knew that I didn't have a tri-bike, would you still have me focus on indoor training investment? I don't disagree, just wanted to make sure you had all the facts
    • As I am looking for more specifics, should I transition questions to Matt, or keep working with you?

Thanks!

• Options

@Rob Tune - hey, let's keep this rolling!! 🎡

• 25 mpw is miles per week, sorry!
    • yes, no tri bike hard core until 2022. The indoor gear/set up is a lifelong improvement and any bike can go on it. Plus this lets you save up for a good rig.
    • If you are down with the plan, the next step is to flesh out the race timeline for 2021, and then I can Season Roadmap that year...even if you don't know the race, knowing the month is a start. We can work year to year from there.

~ Coach P