Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josiah Garrison's Micro Thread

Hi Coach P-

Two questions;  One- the IIM week 10 Sat & Sun rides really kicked my butt and my legs are toast but b/c of travel I was thinking of doing long run on Tue, swim/run Thur and just an easy swim today. Will that work?

Second: In general, I seem to be stuck at the same average speed (18-19) as back in May during the IHIM plan.  I'm doing all the bike miles and my best effort to hit the target zones. I do struggle on Sundays to hit low-mid zone2 (HR training), I can't sustain high Z2/low Z3 for very long. I'm used to lots of short high intensity work for oly training. I would really like to see more progress for all the work I'm suffering through, although I suppose my range is increasing. What can I do differently? 

I dug a lot through the wiki on these subjects but would also appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JG your plan for this week is fine. So you are as fast in IM training ad you wee when training for a race that's half as long -- that's SOLID. That said, the rides aren't designed to yield overall max speed; but you can replace a Sat workout with a steadier more race-like effort to see what that gets you. May to Sept is a long time too...could be some fatigue there as well. Let me know re the weekend sessions.
  • Options
    I'll try dialing back to Sat intensity to see if that helps as you suggested. Now a new question -
    A few of the IMAZ EN peeps are planning to do a camp weekend in AZ on 10/25 (Week 17). Should I still do the camp weekend that falls 2 weeks (IIM Week 15) before that?
    Thanks! Sending some caffeine your way.

Exorcise through exercise - JG
  • Options
    You could do both but wasn't my last post to you about being overly fatigued?? :) I have to say that training in AZ sucks big time. The course is highway to crappy road to big highway and back x3. Literally you can replicate AZ on a trainer and a treadmill. :)

I'd rather you plan on your regular camp week to allow for adequate recovery and that you spend some time convincing your teammates to make a much, MUCH better investment of their time!!
  • Options
    Hi Coach- I'm on week 12 of IIM plan. Can i swap the thur 5k run with Sat long ride? Have some family obligations this weekend but can take PTO on Thur.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Yes but if you are looking for run results you might need to take Friday off to bounce back.
  • Options
    So take Friday totally off, or just do the swim?

Thanks! image
  • Options
    If you haven't had an off day in more than a week at that point, then take it off. If you've already had a late day that week then you can swim. Remember, this is a long-term investment in your ability to train through to the race and also race at your potential.
  • Options
    Hi Coach P-
    On the Sat of Week 17 IIM, what are your thoughts on me doing a century ride (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/355543) with about 3k feet of climbing? It would mostly coincide with the 6hr Sat ride and I would probably take Sun off since that's an optional/green day.

Thanks
  • Options

Posted By Josiah Garrison on 23 Sep 2014 12:47 PM

Hi Coach P-

On the Sat of Week 17 IIM [correction, week 16], what are your thoughts on me doing a century ride (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/355543) with about 3k feet of climbing? It would mostly coincide with the 6hr Sat ride and I would probably take Sun off since that's an optional/green day.

Thanks

• Options
    That looks like a great alternative. Have a blast, and remember we want the last third as the strongest effort.
  • Options
    Hi Patrick-
    Good news/bad news to report. I went down hard on the bike on Sat and have some nasty road rash and bruising. I manned up & got most of the weekend mileage in but I will be out of the water for a bit. The good news is I finally figured out the long day nutrition stuff plus started doing regular cryotherapy and my speed is up noticeably! Yes! it's great to finally see some payoff for all the hard work.
    So, what should I do for this next week (15 -Camp- IIM plan) in place of swimming? Weight lifting? I think running/ riding are a go with lots of bandages and aleeve.

Getting pumped for PHX. Thanks!
  • Options
    Anyone out there?! I skipped the Mon & Tue swims as the rr is still pretty bad. Should I be making any other modifications per my Sunday questions above?

Thanks!
  • Options

Posted By Josiah Garrison on 05 Oct 2014 08:26 PM

Hi Patrick-

Good news/bad news to report. I went down hard on the bike on Sat and have some nasty road rash and bruising. I manned up & got most of the weekend mileage in but I will be out of the water for a bit. The good news is I finally figured out the long day nutrition stuff plus started doing regular cryotherapy and my speed is up noticeably! Yes! it's great to finally see some payoff for all the hard work.

So, what should I do for this next week (15 -Camp- IIM plan) in place of swimming? Weight lifting? I think running/ riding are a go with lots of bandages and aleeve.

Getting pumped for PHX. Thanks!

There's really no "need" for you to do anything in place of swimming. First priority should be to heal the road rash and then bike and run within those constraints. In my experience, most road rash situations are swimmable within about 10 days. 

• Options
    JG - sorry for the delay in replying, I was in Hawaii competing in the Ironman. Like Coach Rich said I would simply use the non-swimming time his recovery. I expect you to have a better camp weekend simply because you won't be carrying any swim fatigue. There is no swimming during camp weekend, so there's still a good shot for you to knock it out of the park now and then pick things up next week when you are recovered.
  • Options
    No worries, with I had known you were Kona bound but it was awesome watching you finish on the live feed! Nice job out there coach!!
  • Options
    Hi Coach P-
    I need a reality check please. I haven't been able to run or swim this week b/c of an infected big toe. Doc had to remove part of the nail/ cuticle and cauterize the open wound. It's very painful to walk on, I did manage to get 90 min on the bike yesterday. Being this close to IMAZ, I know how crucial these next 2 weeks of training are and it's freaking me out a little to be sidelined.

Big picture, my foot will be healthy for race day but how much fitness am I losing sitting here?
  • Options
    Losing fitness technically is impossible given all of the training you've done so far. Put it this way – you probably had some extra fatigue that needed getting rid of anyway.

I say you plan on biking to your hearts content this weekend, making sure that your toes still on a positive healing trend. Hopefully you'll be back to some form of jogging by early next week. Let me know what your timeline for a return is.

You can also add in some swim cords/stretch bands work to keep your shoulders and back primed for the water. Feel free to also add in any extra core work you can do at home as all of that stuff does help.
  • Options
    Update-
    Saw the D.O. today and toe looks bad, still infected etc. I managed to bike 200m last week, swam Mon, ran 7.5m yesterday. Ideally, Doc would like to remove entire toenail, clean out everything and patch it up - down time, about 4-5 days! So I have 2 options:
    One - bite the bullet, do the procedure, but at minimum miss the long run and RR ride this weekend or same next week. I'm very worried about missing more training after no running and swimming last week given how close we are to IMAZ. Is there anyway to do the procedure & allow that much time off this close to race?

Two:
    Limit running & take more antibiotics and hope the foot stabilizes. Doc is a willing to work with me either way, is an endurance athlete and D.O. so he gets it and suggested I check in with my coach.
    What are your thoughts?
  • Options
    Good to chat last week… Looking forward to your update tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2019 8:10PM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes (click to watch the video)

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz (2019-09-08) #70.3SantaCruz_19
    • Levi's Gran Fondo - Panzer Route 10/5 110 miles 11k climbing. 
    • Indian Wells On 12/08/19 (TBD)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

Last updated by Coach on 08/15/20191

• On 7/15/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/8/2019
    • On 9/9/2019  Load the  -- Century Plan (12 Weeks) to end on 10/6/2019
    • On 10/7/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/20/2019
    • Check in with Coach P regarding the rest of your season.

Your Notes

2019 I've completed Oceanside 70.3, Tri4Real Olympic Distance and some 5 & 10k races.

Next Up: 

Norcal Triathlon Champs (Sprint + distance) on 8/24

Santa Cruz 70.3 on 9/8

Levi's Gran Fondo - Panzer Route 10/5 110 miles 11k climbing. WANT to really nail this one!

Maybe: Indian Wells3 swims 7k meters total

3-4 Runs 16-18 miles average. 1 long (11 today), one Tempo, one track, one 40 min z3 brick after long ride.

3 Rides 1 group ride of 90 min all out intervals, one FTP interval work, 1 Sat long ride (ABP).

Some core work daily.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

JG, Great to have you back.

I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy as possible. 

I'll help you get up to speed with what has changed inside Endurance Nation. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you as a TeamEN member.

First, here are some easy steps to get the most out of your training plan, Coach Thread, EN learning library and Final Surge. Get smarter to get faster.

You may remember this from before, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when respond. It keeps the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See 5 sec video here:

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Integrated Zones. Customization.

If you already know your FTP and average heart rate during a 5k you can update your training plans with your custom zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

You can also join the GroupMe chat:

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on theweb, and even search if you want. The forumsare our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

Let me know how I can help. 

I look forward to hearing more, helping you build your fitness and learn more about training and racing.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

PS. I'm totally interested in your training and experience at Levi's Gran Fondo. I'll be looking forward to hearing more.

• Options

Hi Guys-

Great to be back. One big question specific to this week: I'm racing a Sprint on Saturday. How should I adjust the rest of the training week? I have flexibility to go long on any weekday as well.

Thanks

• Options

JG, You ran well off the bike last Saturday - which shows some great fitness. Congratulations. I would like to see you get the negative split long run in, a bit earlier in the week, then dial back the intensity for Thurs and Fri. Race Saturday. Then back on schedule with Sunday. This way you still get the split run and the ABP ride in this week, but trade the intensity of the VO2 run and Red Mist swim for the Sprint race on Sat

Can you swap Wed and Thurs? Do the negative split long run on Wed. Then on Thurs do half of the Red mist swim, drop the VO2 intervals. Easy on Friday.

This way you will still get a long run in this week to support your training progression for Santa Cruz 70.3, while dialing by the intensity later in the week in preparation for the race.

In summary:

Tues: No change.

Wed: Neg Split run

Thurs: Red Mist swim (50% of distance)

Fri: Easy Bike

Sat: Race

Sun: Back on schedule w/ ABP bike

If you are good with these changes - you can move (drag and drop) the workouts around to adjust the schedule.

• Options

JG, How did the race go?

• Options

Hi Matt-

It went great. Took 2AG and our team was 3rd overall with less than 1/4 the athletes of the big teams. Quality over quantity! One question, the Monday optional swim looks to be 2700 including a 1k warm up and 600 cool down. Is that correct? Seems long.

Thanks

• Options

Congratulations! Way to get after it. The sprint distance is always more challenging (for me) because I have to go so hard for so long. Nice work!

Monday's swim is very similar to last week. You can cut the warm up distance if you need to - but keep the main set and cool down as close as you can if you are not feeling it or pressed for time. Monday's swim and your swim rehearsal later this week are your last real swim workouts until the race. Then you are in taper!!

• Options

Three things that went well this week:

1) Long run execution; 2 miles easy/ low TRP (8min) ; 5 miles tempo (7:40) ; final mile surge. Finished with 7:19 average pace & 154 pbm. Textbook.

2) Final RR OWS 1:40/100 to 1100 yards steady/ smooth; 1:32/100 back with final 300 at 1:27/100. Execution to plan.

3) Maintaining full focus at key high pain moments in all wko's. Kept breathing, no let up, pushed through and kept the pace strong in all 3 events.

Noting weekly accountability here as the race group thread (2019 Santa Cruz 70.3) is very quiet.

Focus Area: Don't hammer the bike to soon out of the water. Leads to leg pains and lower power. Start easy, bring the HR down, really settle in to the saddle and aero position. Then ramp it up.

• Options

Nice work. Textbook execution.

• Options

I like your summary of three things that went well this week.

Review our Half Execution Race Guidance. Check out the run guidance. Miles 0-3 Play defense. Miles 4 to 10: Smooth and steady here. Miles 10 to 13.1: You now have permission to race. 

Race Reports 2017 and 2018:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25124/ross-randolph-2018-santa-cruz-70-3-race-report

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/23845/tom-s-im-santa-cruz-70-3-race-report-off-to-south-africa-for-70-3-world-championship-next-year

• Options

@Josiah Garrison Good luck this weekend! Go get 'em. ~Matt