Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Wendy Kelly Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• ✅ On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Balanced Durability Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019
  •  ✅ On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Balanced Durability Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019
  •  ✅ On 12/23/2019 Load the    Balanced Durability Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/19/2020
  • >> Transition Early <<
  •  🔲 On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
  •  🔲 On 3/9/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 05/10/2020
  •  🔲 On 5/11/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/24/2020

Your Notes

I got into triathlon in 2015, and gradually built up from the sprint distance to the half iron distance in 2017. 2019, I completed my first full ironman. I am on the slower side and would like to, naturally, build in some additional speed (especially on the bike). 2019 felt like a breakthrough year for me: it was the first year I was able to keep my heartrate under control while racing, and I earned my best 70.3 time yet in May at IRONMAN 70.3 Chattanooga (6:54:20; although the swim was shortened at that race, I also had to fix a flat tire so I am owning that PR!). I completed IRONMAN Chattanooga in 15:53:00. 

I've dealt with a couple of stress reactions/fractures in my left leg. The first was in the shin in 2018. The most recent was during IRONMAN training in June this year. I developed a stress reaction/fracture in my left hip, and was only permitted to slowly return to running 6 weeks prior to the race. Because of that, I was very cautious leading into and during the IM and didn't push the running much. Since the race, I've been working to return to my pre-injury run-walk-run intervals, and targeted a 10 K in November to race and give myself a nice post-injury goal. Hoping to PR at that distance, but we will see what that day brings. 

My upcoming season is a bit up in the air right now, and it is difficult to commit to anything past May/June, but I'll know more by April or so. I'm planning on a March half marathon, a late April Olympic distance triathlon, and 70.3 in May or June 2020. There will be others afterwards, but I can't say with certainty yet what those distances will be. But I'd like to structure my training so that a 70.3 or 140.6 later in the year remain as options.The past 4 weeks I have been recovering from IRONMAN Chattanooga, and have been gradually returning to my normal routine. I swim with a masters swim group on Mondays and usually Fridays, I work with a strength coach on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and I've been running a couple of times a week. Wednesdays are usually a bike or run session, and Weekends will involve a longer bike one day and longer run he other day. I am often (but not always) able to incorporate a second training session on the strength training days - biking is easier since I can hop on my trainer; running can be feasible, but requires more effort, planning, and a drive since the hills right around my house are gruesome. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 28, 2019

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hello Coach P and @matt limbert ,

I am excited to become a member of the team and I am looking forward to what 2020 will bring!

Starting with balanced durability plan is what I expected and think this makes sense given my history. I'm optimistic that this training block will provide the foundation for a healthy racing season next year.

I presume for a March 1 half marathon that I'll start building up some distance on my runs in January? (assuming all has been feeling good in my hip and lower limbs)

Questions I have, perhaps for @matt limbert with the training plans:

1. I presume that I can swap workouts and the rest day around within the week?
    2. Are there any rules to this, or is there flexibility so long as I am completing the time/key sessions?
    3. Is swimming considered a suitable cross training activity, or do I want something that is more weight-bearing on the legs? I really enjoy swimming, and hope I don't need to eliminate it entirely for few months.

For my homework problems, I have to admit I've never thought much about these before, so this has taken a moment. I suppose this is all part about learning to be more strategic with my training and race execution. Undoubtedly, I'll develop better answers later, but for now:

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • First and foremost, it would be awesome to be injury-free next year. *Awesome*. While I was able to manage training modifications and performance expectations in 2019, it was a letdown to have to do that midway through the season so due to injury. So, having a year where I didn't have to do that would be terrific.
    • Being a back-of-the-pack and adult-onset athlete, I still consider a finish within the time limit of a race a success. However, I have entered the stage where improvements upon prior overall times, or even splits, have become more important. Each course is different, so if I end up racing a different venue I know I need to keep that in mind. That said, it would be great if I could maintain or improve upon my best half ironman finish time, particularly with respect to the bike pace.
    • Being able to keep a positive mindset with each race and to learn something from each race. This one is important, since I derive a lot of joy and satisfaction from this sport. And who and I kidding...no one's podium spot in in jeopardy because I'm racing that day. I just want to see what I'm capable of, push on that boundary, and find some joy from the process.

• What's your biggest limiter right now?
    • I keep getting injured. Hoping the durability plan puts a stop to this! That, and I continue to make strength training and prehab/PT a non-negotiable. I am also considering buying some time with a running coach to check in on my form.
    • The bike. Honestly, though, I'm relatively slow in all three triathlon disciplines. Perhaps the least slow on the run (when I'm not injured). I'd really like to improve upon my cycling capabilities. At races like Chattanooga 70.3 and 144.6 with the rolling hills, I've noticed that I often leap-frog with other athletes where I fall behind on the ascents and then pass them on the descents or flats. Maybe that is good for my overall strategy (conservation of energy on those hills), but I suspect there is much room for improvement on those hills and false flats. I'm okay with bike improvement being a multi-year process.

• Options

@Wendy Kelly Welcome! Thanks for the homework. Thanks for sharing your progression as an adult onset athlete, past season story, plus your goals and limiters. They are super helpful. This first phase - focusing on run frequency will help with overall run durability - then the OutSeason (starting in mid-Jan) you will continue to run, but we will add more intensity on the bike, which is where the money is made for the upcoming season. Your last point about races and bike execution - is really where the TeamEN excels - we can teach you the proper tactics and strategies to race execution - so you can execute smarter with the fitness you have. For example, check out Coach Patrick's library of Coach Lessons here:

Or Race execution guidance here:

*****Warning: This is a big post. Lots of stuff here to go through. Take your time. Ask all the questions you want. My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible!

Chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Ok, let's tackle your questions:

#1 Yes, you can swap your workouts around during the week. Be mindful that bike intervals and longer bike days have a larger "cost." Meaning these will be more challenging days. So, you want to make sure you are mental and physically ready to do them and make sure the following day is a bit easier - either swim or bike. We encourage you to experiment with the week and find a workout pattern that fits your schedule - consistent work = biggest gains. So, finding a pattern that works for you is key. We can talk more specifics - here in the forum or chat on the phone.

#2a Scheduling rules/guidelines: The Long Run and ABP are your most demanding workouts. Separate those with easy run, bike cross training or swimming. Avoid ABP, long run back to back. For individual workouts here is the recommended triage/modification protocol:

#2b Individual Workout rules/guidelines for triage or modification

1. Cut the Interval Length but Keep the Intensity. IOW if 2 x 15' on the bike isn't working for you, can you do 3x10 with more rest or 4x7.5, etc.

2. Do the Time but Drop the Intensity. If #1 doesn't work, then get in your 2x15' at .9 or .85 instead.

3. Do the Time Only. If #2 doesn't work, then just get your 45-60 minutes done.

4. If You have Zero Motivation and #3 is Wicked Unappealing, Do Nothing. Stretch, core, etc is okay but take the day. Better to save now than pay later.

From a macro level perspective you'll want to check in on your quality of sleep, nutrition, wellness to make sure this isn't a bigger issu

#3 Cross-Training. Yes, swimming can be your cross-training. If you enjoy it and it easy to get it - go for it. We are looking for another type of aerobic activity. For some, swimming is chore and even more of a chore in the winter - with pool hours etc. So, we encourage folks to find the activity they enjoy - if swimming works for you. Perfect.

New stuff

I want to make your first 30 days as awesome as possible. I want to show you how to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals. 

First thing! Did you subscribe to this Coach Thread yet? When you do, you will get an email when we respond in your thread. Boom! Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, get setup in Final Surge.

I see that you are already set up in Final Surge. Your workouts are posting. Nice work! AND you are already using the metrics and notes. WHICH IS AWESOME.

To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story (OFF TO A GOOD START). This is so key! Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

In January, you will do some run and bike tests. You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Understand the Why?

Why am I doing these workouts? What is the purpose? How does this help me. Learn more about your plan by watching a couple of videos about your plan and the OutSeason. See the section for Run Durability for Triathletes about 75% down the page. You can also check out the OutSeason - which is at the top of the page. You will eventually transition to this plan in mid-Jan.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

If you read this far - let me know. (You are awesome.) 😉

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@matt limbert Thank you for the tips! It is helpful to know how to prioritize the sessions if I need to move them. I've set up a call to connect with you and I look forward to chatting soon.

• Options

So great to talk with you yesterday! I’m really excited to see what we can achieve together. As I mentioned on the phone, the top priority is building a consistent schedule that keeps you healthy as we get you back to running as close to “normal“ as we can. Looking forward to following your progress. 👍

• Options

@Wendy Kelly

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Wendy Kelly Super pleased to hear about your gains on the run. I hope this gives you confidence in the program, as well as your own abilities. It's not easy being patient, but the rewards are worth it! In terms of your bike strength, we usually tell people a good target for their first out season is to aim for a 10% improvement. So if your first test gives you 120 W, then we would expect you to hit 132 W in your second test. Keep it up!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Wendy Kelly Nice work on the CnC ride. That's a really tough ride. Even harder if you lose the draft of the pack. Some folks drop their weight in Zwift, just for that ride in order to make the "cruise" part easier, so they can crush the crush part. If you want to try it. Take your easy watts number and divide it by 2.8. So, if you easy watts is 120 / 2.8 = 42.8 kg. Then change your weight back after the ride.

Great work with you Final Surge log BTW. Vitals. Notes. Yoga descriptions. You are nailing it. It will really pay off. 😀

Let me know if I can help.

• Options

@matt limbert Thanks for the note and suggestions for Zwift. The Group Zwift events has made it very clear how much work there is for me on the bike – and that I should have been using Zwift long before now. It is a much more effective workout for me than simply relying on willpower alone to push harder. I’ve already been weight-doping, but it hasn’t yet been quite as extreme as what you suggested above…I’ll try it next time. For now, I’m trying to get stronger and make improvements on my FTP. I’ve been making note of how long I can stay with the pack, trying to hang on with others as long as I can, and celebrating when that improves. With the right work, I hope to continue to increase my time with the pack/blob, and that I can start to be more honest with my weight. I do enjoy the social side of it, so there is definite motivation to get stronger.

My first group ride was used as a makeshift power test, and I plan to test again near the start of January. I presume that the workouts from the Bike-focused Outseason plan I’ll start next month will also serve the goal of getting stronger on the bike, so I am looking forward to that.

• Options

@Wendy Kelly You have great strategy. I was on a ride today that put me in a similar place - I was working just to stay in the group and the draft. I use the same metric, "How long can I stay with the blob" as a motivational tool too! Experiment with the weight doping - I feel like you will come around after a few weeks. Be deliberate about what kind of workout/experience you are looking for. I will weight dope if I want to ride with a group, but want an easy ride. There are a lot of hard rides in Zwift, finding the ones that work for you and fit into your training schedule is a bit of trick. It is fun, but I can't ride hard like that every day. 😂 I look forward to seeing more of you in Watopia!

• Options
    WK - I have to say I am impressed with how quickly you’ve integrated into
    our digital world! Ride on!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Thanks, @Coach Patrick ! I’m slowly getting the hang of Zwift, and there is a big learning curve. These sessions are very motivating and effective. I am 90% certain that I’ve sweat more this last month in my basement trainer cave with Zwift and the group events than all combined prior three years using the trainer down there.

It might be a good time to check in regarding whether or not to include the March 1 (Publix Atlanta) half marathon as part of my Spring 2020 plans. I still want to do this, and it would probably feel like I’m missing out if I don’t participate in this event. It is the day after the Olympic Marathon Trials here in Atlanta, so there is a bit of novelty factor to it. I think I’ve given it enough time since the injury to start ramping up, and feel good about where things are with the run durability program. There have been some little aches and pains (i.e. tight foot and calf muscles), but they came and went and maybe were attributable to the return to a regular running routine.

That said about the March half marathon, I also very much do NOT want to (1) risk injury prior to my build before the Gulf Coast 70.3 in early May, or (2) compromise the goals of the bike-focused Outseason. Making some solid improvements in my bike FTP/pace is also important to me.

Basically, I’m willing to listen to reason if it would be better, in your opinion, to place a half marathon elsewhere in my year. I could certainly shoot for one in the fall instead, if it works around the yet-to-be-scheduled Oly/70.3/140.6 (I’ll know mid/late spring what I’ll have the bandwidth for).

If you think it better to schedule a call to discuss it, I can certainly do that.

• Options

@Wendy Kelly

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Wendy Kelly

Just wanted to make sure I was able to answer your question as in between the time that you asked me and the time I'm replying was an auto message from the website.

Right now I feel like you're really on the bubble. You have had a few 13 mile weeks which put you right on the edge. Of course there's a fine line between running healthily and running into a problem. No pun intended. Only you will know the difference, and I will be counting on you to let me know if there's an issue.

So I think it's OK for you to start building up your weekly long run towards an 8 mile total distance. That means starting out at five or six miles for two or three weeks, then moving to 7 miles for two weeks and then eventually getting up towards 8, maybe 10 just once. The guidance in the OutSeason program already has enough running to get you to a weekly total of 20 miles, but if you need my assistance mapping out a week just let me know.

• Options

Hello @Coach Patrick and @matt limbert ,

Hope all is well!!

I've really been enjoying the OutSeason and the additional sense of community that comes with it. And I've been happy to see progress on the bike FTP. Since I've been riding indoors for the last two months, I'm optimistic this translates into some improved paces once I get on the road.

I had a few questions come up with the OutSeason training and prepping (hopefully) for the half marathon on March 1. I've been building up my long runs, taking advantage of a couple of races (a 12K and a 15K) to mix things up and force myself to train with the hills typical of Atlanta. Mostly, the body has felt good; muscles did get tight in the lower legs and hips, but improved dramatically after a week with a shorter long run, and I have been trying to stay diligent with my (p)rehab activities. And I'm still mentally prepared to back off from this event if anyone gets nervous about how my body is doing.

1. I completed the bike fitness test this week, and it appears that my VO2 max power to FTP ratio is 1.33; higher than the optimal 1.2. I posed a question about this in the forum, but I also wanted to get your take on this. Since the next block appears to be more VO2 max-focused, would I want to consider returning to the first 4 weeks' midweek training sessions instead? Orr just one of them per week with the other focused on the VO2 max intervals? Or just stick to the plan (i.e. will the weekend ABP rides be sufficient to target FTP)? I'm sure I need improvement in all aspects of the bike, anyway. :-)
    2. With the new 70.3 training plans, do I still upload that to Final Surge on 3/9/2020 as you initially recommended (in November, before the new plans were there)?
    3. I've been working on extending my long runs in preparation for the Publix Atlanta half marathon on March 1, so I know my runs are longer than prescribed for the OutSeason. With the upcoming bump in bike volume on the weekends, would I want to forgo the second weekend bike during this final ramp (for my long runs, I'm anticipating 10 miles this weekend, maybe 11 miles next weekend (2/15), then 5-6 miles the following weekend (2/22), and the half marathon the weekend after that. I guess I'm a little concerned about digging myself into a hole with too much training volume (but honestly, time available will probably be a factor, too).

• Options

@Wendy Kelly

So glad you are enjoying the OutSeason and joining the community. All that indoor riding will certainly pay off - Watts are Watts and you have more of them now!

Your Questions:

RE: VO2Max power to FTP ratio. Great question. You are right on track for the first block of the OutSeason and we would prefer not to shift to FTP just yet. Here is why. You will get plenty of FTP work during your HIM plan starting 3 March. If this were your HIM race specific phase with that kind of ratio we would consider a shift in training stimulus to peak but we only have one more OutSeason five week block to focus solely on big power, short duration efforts before we switch you to your race specific block.

The OutSeason typically has 3 blocks and we want to develop your ability to do MORE work at max in short bursts in the next block and you will switch to sustained work for FTP development during your race specific block. 1.33 is a great VO2 max to power ratio and that is exactly the training progression and stimulus we are looking for during this first OutSeason block. This next block is all about total work/time at those big watts, focusing on shorter duration power recruitment. (Mon intervals ~2' or 3' followed by 30 sec max effort intervals on Thurs, and Cruise and Crush ride on Sat). It focuses on improving max watts and the total amount of work you can do at max watts, Functional Reserve Capacity - in Training Peaks / WK04 data geek speak. High max + higher ability ability to do work at max watts helps set us up for the the third and final block when will make the shift to longer efforts at 12-18' for a total of 30-45' in zone to develop that FTP.

Yes, please load the your race specific training (2020 HIM Bike focused plan) starting on 3 March. You will have to delete the planned workouts for 3 March to 19 April, then load the HIM plan.

Your run progression makes sense. Dropping the second ride makes sense. I am a little concerned that you will getting almost half your weekly run volume in one of those runs. Its only for two weeks, so it should be manageable. Keep making good notes. You are doing a really nice job there. Its easy to see trends when you pull your running or biking report. Its a good idea to prioritize your yoga and mobility - like you mentioned above - as you ramp up the running and if you need to modify the FTP runs on Wednesday - just do the time at TRP if need be.

Check out this video that might give you some insight on how to look at your running progression for trends etc.

• Options

Thanks, @matt limbert !

Really appreciate your detailed response! I'm still finding my way around Final Surge after using Training Peaks for a few years now (and still finding my way about that platform), and I didn't realize there was that feature you just explained. That is pretty informative, and makes me realize that I've been lax (or, rather, rushed and not able lately to take the time to input that info) in reporting in on how I felt during a session...since that would also be good information to scan as I assess things. I'll have to do better so that my future self has that record.

Thank you also for the additional explanation about the training progression. I'll trust the plan.

Never before considered the run volume issue that you just brought up. Been trying to get 4 runs in each week, but there have been (and will be, unfortunately) some weeks that work impinged and I have been prioritizing the bike and strength. Prior to now, I'd never considered the impact of total miles across the week. I'll have to start paying more attention to that...perhaps that has been a contributing factor to my history of run injuries.

No matter how much I thought I knew, I'm discovering there is so very much more to learn; these last couple of months with the Team have been like trying to take a sip of water from a firehose!

• Options

@Wendy Kelly things are looking good. And thanks for the Ride On the other day; great to see you out there getting the work done.

Remember, smarter is faster. A huge #doublewin 👍

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick ! I have to admit to a moment of panic today when my TrainingPeaks ap informed me that I am 8 weeks out from Gulf Coast 70.3. Then I reminded myself I just completed the 3.5 hr challenge ride (albeit indoors) this past weekend, a half marathon the weekend before that, and to trust the plan.

I completed the latest bike power testing and was a bit surprised by the additional improvement. While my estimated FTP back when I started using power at the end of November was very much a SWAG, I don't think it was too far off the mark. The most recent, was up by 16% from that number. Maybe an overestimate from a really good day and a testing session fueled by angst of the day, but I suspect at least some of the improvement since the last test is real.  I am eager for a nice stretch of weather to get my bike back on the road and see how my FTP improvements translate to actual pacing.

I've been trying to estimate my HR zones from the half marathon. Perhaps this is a poor choice of a race to use (if so, please let me know). My challenge is that for some reason, according to my watch, my HR peaked during the middle of the race then came back down by about 10-15 bpm. I'm not sure this makes sense, nor does it jive with my RPE during the race. Would I choose a middle section with the higher HR or the end section of the race? Or scrap it and stick with my previously established zones for the time being?

• Options

@Wendy Kelly -- I know exactly what you mean when you freak out by that chart. I do the same thing every year! Welcome to the club. I'm not surprised at all by your bike improvement, you've been very consistent in doing some new work so you should be very proud of those new zones. Keep pushing! You should see an even higher number out on the open road because it's easier to ride there.

It's a lot easier for you to get a pace zones from that half marathon then heart rate zones. Heart rate zones can be really fickle depending on the terrain and of course, how are you paste the event. Oh and let's not forget the temperature! It's probably a lot better for you to use the PACE zones from what you did vs HR for real accuracy's sake. If you want HR, you can take the avg of your "best" thirty minutes and use that!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you for the response and tips @Coach Patrick. I do have another question. Since the half marathon, my left lower leg has not felt good. After Thursday's run last week, it felt like I should not be running. There is a tender spot on my interior shin that is reminiscent of a stress reaction near/at the same location two years ago, and the muscles in my left leg just aren't firing right when I try to run. I've decided to put myself in run jail for a little bit and let things reset. With the pools and gyms closed, this poses a greater challenge for keeping a routine and finding ways to sub in activities for the run.

Here are my thoughts I thought I'd run by you. I'll probably add in 1-2 more bike sessions per week. I dusted off my husband's neglected elliptical machine and can use that for post bike brick "runs". I We don't own a treadmill, unfortunately. Weather permitting, I may try to sub in a long hike on the weekend for the long run - there are some good hilly trails nearby that I could explore. I may try purchasing some stretch cords for swim substitute, as well.

I'm also thinking to try to resume running after a two-three week hiatus, and see how it feels.

Is there anything else I should consider doing?

• Options

@Wendy Kelly I agree doing some run jail time will be important so that you can recover. Hopefully being proactive here will prevent any negative consequences. You are really on a good roll, and we want to keep that going. Taking a look at your calendar and final surge, I see you've got some good consistency with bikes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Let's match that with some back to back we can ride on Saturday and Sunday. That will get you a total of five days of riding/aerobic times and give you opportunities to recover on Monday and Friday.

We can keep the intensity on Tuesday and Thursday, and keep Wednesday as that aerobic steady time (approx 1 hour). Similarly, I would have you follow this Saturday work out for the intervals and then Sunday is more bonus aerobic time (60 to 90 mins).

The elliptical machine is a great walk around to continue using your leg muscles while protecting your shin. Feel free to "brick" off of any of the midweek bike workouts. That's the easiest way to keep your run Fitness up with minimal actual run time.

If possible, let put self care on M/W/F and strength, if possible, on Tue/Th.

You could easily drop either one of the weekend workouts in exchange for a nice long hike outside.

While we are taking a closer look at things, it's worthwhile just making sure that your running shoes are still in good shape/new. Give me an update on that when you get a chance!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hello @Coach Patrick,

I hope you are well! My apologies for the delay in getting back to you with an update. (And apologies in advance for this long-winded update). Work got pretty busy with our transition to online coursework for our students; the semester is winding down now, and I have a minute or two of personal time.

I stopped any sort of panicking about run jail and the impending HIM since I was pretty sure Gulf Coast 70.3 would be postponed, and it was. I decided to defer this race to May 2021. I am still trying to figure out the rest of my 2020. Currently, I am leaning toward sticking to local sprint and Olympic distance races and using this year to try to continue to build up some more power/speed on the bike this year, and, if all goes well, target the half and a full in 2021. I will get some dates to you on through an updated plan for 2020 once I have a chance to sit down and sort through that.

Been trying to stick to the midweek bike workouts from the half iron plan, but work impinged on that for a couple of weeks, and I missed 2 or 3 sessions. A normal schedule for me should return soon.

After a bit over two weeks of no running, I started to incorporate it back in. I’m still getting some discomfort in that area of my shin (interior side), but it is much more manageable.

Shoes: I generally cycle through 3 pairs – 2 for road/treadmill and 1 for the trail. No trail running since September until about three weeks ago, so nothing to report on that pair. The runs I’ve done in them the last three weekends have felt good, and I’ve felt as expected afterwards – some tenderness, but not necessarily alarming.

I retired a pair of Mizuno Waveriders after the March 1 half marathon. They had 234.9 miles on them. A bit on the early side, and I usually go to 250-280 miles. The best I can recall, I don’t remember any complaints/noticeable discomfort with them. These had been my go-to long run shoes. These have since been replaced with New Balance 880s, and so far those shoes seem to be doing alright.

In January, about the same time I started to increase the distance of my long runs for the upcoming 13.1, I got a new pair of my 2nd set of running shoes. I went with a replacement pair of Saucony Triumphs, but they did feel a bit different from the prior pair. While at the local run shop, and conversing with the shoe guy, I decided to try using those for my long training runs since they had more cushion (?) than the waveriders. It was soon after this that I started to notice the pain. And, now that I think on it, I also started to notice a pain in my left mid-foot (same leg as the shin problem; near/at where I feel my foot striking the ground while running) during longer runs (more than 5 miles). Muscles in the feet also got pretty tight.

Back in February/March, I chalked the shin issue up to the increased mileage rather than the Sauconys. But I also tried a short run 2 weeks ago in those Saucony Triumphs, and the shin area felt worse afterwards compared to short runs in the New Balance 880s. I’ll give it one more short run this week in the Sauconys. At this point, though, I have myself convinced that I need to divorce myself from those shoes and go back to a pair of Mizuno Waveriders to complement the New Balance 880s.

I also will be back in touch with the orthoticist who prepared my custom orthotic inserts two years ago (which ultimately resolved this problem the first time around). It may be that I need new ones, but we will see what he recommends. I know two years ago, he hoped/expected I'd be weaned off of them.

Cheers, Wendy

• Options

@Wendy Kelly - glad to hear you’re making the transition to online school and or somehow surviving. I haven’t seen what it looks like from our end, I can only imagine how difficult it is for you on yours. Given how dynamic the situation is, I have pretty low expectations are those two specific training. There’s so much stress right now that sometimes getting through the day is, in itself, a pretty good workout!

I really like the idea of focusing on short course stuff to get you stronger. Depending how things turn out, there’s nothing wrong with you going out for a longer ride on a good weather day when you feel comfortable. Those longer, easier aerobic rides are really important for your development. But we don’t have to build up to them since there’s no immediate race.

to that end, I would probably recommend our beginner get faster plan, which is 10 weeks long. That’s the perfect balance of intensity on the bike and run with some we can volume.

Of course, we will want to be mindful of the run intensity and can always go back back. Speaking of the run, I really want to get you out of there so I can use right away. Not sure how you feel about running in Hokas but I prefer them because they are quite a soft ride. It could be that you have endemic issues that require unique orthotics, but could also just be that you’re fairly sensitive and needle well cushion shoe. Is usually a tension between fast running shoes and comfortable shoes and there are really a pair that checks both off.

feel free to load the plane yourself or let me know when I can get to it and please keep me posted on your shoe choices!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hello @Coach Patrick! Thank you for the response. I loaded up the Beginner Get Faster plan and started it on Monday. It is actually a really good feeling to have a new plan and new goals to follow!

After another trial run in the Saucony triumphs last week, I concluded they were aggravating the situation and kicked them out of the closet. The leg just seemed more tender later that day and the next morning compared to how things felt after using the New Balances.

I tried on Hokas earlier this year, and noticed that they felt very very different from other shoes. At the time, I couldn't tell if it was "good different" or "bad different" so I passed on them. However, since you suggested it, and I'm getting a little desperate, I decided to I won't know whether they are good or bad for me until I try them out. So, I just picked up a pair of Cliftons from my local run shop (and ordered a replacement pair of Mizuno waveriders to put back in the rotation) and will try them out soon - probably tomorrow.

The orthoticist does think I wore out the orthotics he made for me two years ago, and I have an appointment with him next week for a re-evaluation and probably a new molding so he can prepare another pair.

Although the runs themselves have been feeling pretty good, I still get that tender spot in my shin later in the day. It hasn't been alarming yet, and I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm trying to work up to 4 runs a week, even if a couple of them are just 20 minutes.

Hopefully, this all leads to a solution!

• Options

@Wendy Kelly - key for the new shoes! I saw that you posted online that you've been testing them out. It's definitely worth giving them another try even for a little bit.

While we are at it, why don't you go ahead and send me some video of you running? You just need someone to videotape you running by from the side and make sure that we've got your total body in the frame of the camera. If you can't post it here, you can just send it directly to my phone as a direct GroupMe message. Would be good for me to take a look at your technique the same time that we are revisiting the shoes.

As you go through to get faster plan, don't feel beholden to those hard interval runs. We can keep them as safe as you need to so that the frequency stays high. I believe this is what you're already doing, but I'm just covering all the bases by saying it.

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick !

The Hokas are very much working out well. So far, with every run, the leg feels substantially better than expected after a run in them.

I visited the orthoticist last week. The old orthotics are no longer good for running, and he mentioned something about a dropped left hip causing my left foot to grab the ground in a pattern different from the right foot (and the wear pattern in the left orthotic was consistent with this). New orthotic inserts are now being made and should be ready to be picked up next week. The custom orthotics made a world of difference when I first got them, and I'm hopeful that between new ones and running shoes that work for me this will help solve the issue.

Meanwhile, my husband did take a video of me running. I'll send that to you through GroupMe since I had a challenge in uploading it here. Hopefully, that gives you need. I'm sure there will be something to work on!

• Options

@Wendy Kelly -- thank you for the update! I'm really excited to hear that the Houck is there working out for you. I did take a look at the video you sent me and I can see exactly what your podiatrist was talking about. Hopefully the new orthotics for help, as well as addressing some of the run technique elements I described to you in the video.

The idea is to keep things as simple as possible but still find incremental improvements that keep you healthy and hopefully make you even a little bit faster.

Key to unlocking your fitness is consistency, and a key component of consistency is running south. Let's keep up the good work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hello @Coach Patrick!

Thank you for the run tips; I've tried to incorporate those three things into my running (looking down, squeeze the glutes, engage the lower abs/pelvis tilt issue), and waited until they would be a bit more of a habit before uploading the next video, which I will send to you via GroupMe shortly after this note. I did run into a running snag resulting from inherent klutziness on a perfectly smooth asphalt trail (rolled the right ankle off the edge of the asphalt, fell, and banged up the left kneecap. There were witnesses and it was gloriously embarrassing). With some rest and paying attention to the muscles, hopefully that is getting back on track.

I have something of a plan in mind for the remainder of the year, but really have no confidence that any of these events will take place (other than the DYI event in August). Still, I don't think I'd mind the investment in preparing for them, since I'm sure they will benefit me still; especially the latter. Riding the Gaps in the Georgia Mountains is something that scares me; I've never been much of a climber, but I think that means I need to work on that. And, if the charity ride gets cancelled, and I felt like braving the traffic with friends, I could try it self-supported.

I'm currently on the Beginner Get Faster plan through the first week of July, and enjoying it. Not sure if/when to switch to the 70.3 plan, especially since I'm not certain I will commit to the run on the DIY event. Some guidance on the rest will be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

Here they are:

West Point Olympic Distance Triathlon – currently July 26 – C race (GA in summer; good chance it will be 90 F and 90% humidity)

Hey Jude – B race and possible intentional DNF after the bike? (Still GA in summer; unofficial aquabike; not sure a build to 12 mile run is wise this soon, but we can see how it goes. I just want to participate in something this summer.)

Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon – September 12 A/B Race (still GA, still probably wicked hot and humid)

Three Gap Fifty (Sept 27; Charity Bike Ride; 58 miles and over 6000 ft of climb) – scary goal for me. I'd like to complete it feeling strong.

By December 31: Graduate to Zwift Power Category C on the bike (or at least see a flirtation with that in my stats).

• Options

@Wendy Kelly - thank you so much for following up! I'm really excited to see the new video as well as the changes that you've made in your running form. Believe it or not, focusing on three things there's a lot. I certainly hope that didn't contribute to you find off the edge of the trail! 😢

I really like where your head is that for the remainder of the season. You are right, we certainly can't control how those events will play out but you can still stay in charge of your training. I recommend you stick with the plan right now through the first week of July, that's perfect. At that point home I suggest you load up the bike focused half plan with the target for the end of August.

That will prepare you for any Olympic distance race you have along the way, and you can always make the call at the race itself. Hopefully by the time you get to early September, the Races will be on and you will be ready to run 10k. Even in the incredible Heat! 🔥🏃🔥

I love the idea of doing that long ride for you. I'm pretty sure that type of event will happen as long as they can stagger the start. 60 miles on the bike isn't terrible, but this is Stan Kleiman can be a challenge. You would have plenty of time between the end of August and the end of September, four weeks, to ramp up your cycling. Remember, it's much easier to ramp up the miles on the bike that is to do it on the run.

A critical success factor here will be knowing what you're gearing is on your bike. This means what's your biggest ring is in the back, the closest one to your wheel, and the size of your rings in the front. Hopefully you know this or you can easily sit down on the other side of the wheel and count the teeth through the spokes. Remember to leave one finger at the top so you remember when you started!

Stay hydrated!

~ Coach P