Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Wendy Kelly Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

2»

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick - Believe me, I would love to blame anyone but myself for that fall. Unfortunately, it is exactly the kind of thing that I do.🙃

Thanks for the input on the plan - sounds good to me.

For the long ride, I'm not so much concerned about the distance as I am about the long extended climbs and how to tackle them (mentally and physically). Some races and bucket-list rides I'd like to do in the post-pandemic future have climbing involved, so I think I need to start embracing it...somehow. Elevation profile for September's ride is below.

I checked the gearing on my road bike: it has 28 teeth on the biggest ring in the back (on an 11-gear cassette) and 50 teeth on the biggest ring in the front and 34 teeth on the small ring in the front. I do not yet have a power meter on my road bike, but after getting accustomed to power with indoor training, I may be getting something.

The bike I use for indoor training is a bit different (it is an entry-level road bike I purchased when I first got into this sport and then quickly realized I needed something better), and I can get that information to you if it is needed.

Thank you, as always! You stay hydrated, too - summer is here!

Cheers, Wendy

• Options

You're so good with your homework! You were putting your teammates to shame. It can take the average dude two or three weeks to get back to me with that answer! 🤣

34x28 is about as good as you're going to get on the average road bike. If you were going to be doing sustained longer claims for more time, I would suggest you go up to a 32 in the back. 34x32 is very doable, it's almost a one to one Gear ratio. This likely means getting a different rear derailer, is it in the arm needs to be longer to accommodate the bigger gear. Note some shops can get away with a WolfTool Road Link (here) Depending on your existing set up...worth a chat!

Not everyone wants to make this change, but I think for you riding the hills you'll find it makes the climbing much more manageable. I see this assuming that you also have a triathlon bike which we are not messing with the gears on. Am I correct?

Stay with the 28, it's fine. You will just need to get used to riding at a lower cadence. Somewhere in the upper 70s to low 80s which can become a grind unless you have a pretty high threshold power. With the right gear in, almost anything is possible. I myself have a 32 on my road bike can use it quite often. It's nice to be able to keep the cadence up when the work gets hard!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick Hope you are safe and healthy!

Thanks for the note on the foot pain; I hadn’t considered Morton’s yet, but will be paying close attention to what is happening there, and taking advantage of Final Surge’s functions to keep track of it.

Training derailed for a bit when Life intervened with a few different events. At least for the moment, it has normalized and I hope to get back into my normal routine, but there could be a few more hiccups on the horizon.

I will try to get another run form video to you in the next week or two; I am trying to drive my knees up more, which seems to take a lot more effort.

For the bike gearing, the only bike I have for outdoor use is my road bike fitted with some aerobars, and I’m not sure I want to change the gearing on it while I also use it for triathlon. Now…if I can only convince the husband that I require at least one more bike and that it is high time to do something about the n = x +1 rule, I’d be set. Haha! Out of curiosity, I did check the gearing on my entry-level road bike I use on my trainer. It has the same gearing on the big and small rings up front, and does have the 28 on the back. But it also weighs a ton and only has 8 gears, so I don’t know if that would be worth the trade-off. Plus, I’m not sure how road-worthy it is these days. So, maybe I should practice lower cadence riding if I still hope to get this ride in the N Georgia Mountains in?

Uncertain if I will partake in person in the charity ride or the Oly distance race (I need to be more strict than usual about social distancing over the next 4-6 weeks). The Oly race is also offered virtually, and I have a couple of friends who are also being pretty careful with social distancing that might help me navigate the Gaps.

After the DYI tri, I am trying to sort out what plans to upload next. I was thinking a Run Durability plan (with some longer weekend bike rides through October, probably), but am curious what you might suggest. The next race on my calendar in Gulf Coast 70.3 in May 2021, if it happens. Originally, I had hoped to work in a 140.6 next year, but we will see how things develop.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

It was good to chat yesterday, and I hope you and your family have a great Fall!

To recap on our discussion:

Run durability this fall. My focus will be on consistency, frequency of runs, and total weekly duration. As needed, 1-2 short and easy 1 mile runs will be added in to increase the number of days per week of running. I will not obsess, as I am prone to do, about the number of miles achieved in any single run. :-)

Ironman Gulf Coast 70.3 is scheduled for May 15, 2021, and I am still thinking about my goals for the remainder of 2021. Currently, I am leaning toward a Full IM, but we will see.

I liked your suggestion of starting with the November OutSeason crew this year. Hopefully, we have some races in a healthy environment in 2021. I’m more optimistic about later in the year, but we will see how it all develops.

One thing I forgot to ask you is whether to stick with the Bike-focused plans for this coming year or switch over to the run-focused ones. What are your thoughts?

If you could help by suggesting when to upload the plans, that would be very much appreciated!

Have a wonderful October!

Cheers,

Wendy

• Options

@Wendy Kelly - Great notes, thank you for the recap! Yes, I really like where you're at and I think that with some deliberate focus, we can transition you safely to the November group and get you rolling. Here's what I'm thinking for plans:

• On 11/2/20 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  02/07/2021  [  14   ]  weeks    
    • On 2/8/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  2/21/2021   [  2    ]  weeks    
    • On 2/14/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  5/7/2020   [  12   ]  weeks    
    • On 5/8/2020  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  05/21/2020  [  2    ]  weeks    

Onwards!!

~ Coach Patrick

• Options

@wendy I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I agree 1000% that you are in a good place right now...and the bike will soon ram up...which is perfect timing for a change of "pace" (See what I did there?). 🤣

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 1

Next month's focus: Outseason!

Extra help request: No too worried at this point about the bike fitness trending down, since that hasn't been a major element of run durability this fall, and I know it will pick up with the Outseason.