Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Go Aono Coaching Thread [ CoachEN]

Comments

• Options

Thank you very much for your reply.

It's very useful.

First, I will answer the questions that I can answer immediately.

①   I'm on Facebook with Mr. Iwabuchi.

He's a Zwift mania. He's a leading Japanese player in Zwift.

I would like to use EN ride and Iwabuchi ride actively from now on.

②   It is possible to change the content of the practice on Saturday and Sunday.I will adopt it as instructed.

But I am going to Miyako-island on the first and second weekend of February, so I would like to do the menu you told me before.

③   About the trainingpeaks

Username Ume

Password a17961796

• Options

I've never really thought about supplies.

I take a bag of honey stinger and a pill of caffeine before swimming.

When Ihave finished swimming and I am heading for T1, I take a bag of honey stinger.

At T1

I drink about 100 ml of water.

On bike

Drink about 500 ml of water per hour, and take a packet of honey stinger per hour.

At T2

I drink about 200 ml of water, and I eat a bag of honey stinger, and a piece of caffeine.

Run

I drink water at the aid station without thinking about it.

Take about one bag of honey stinger per hour, and take one caffeine tablet at the 30 kilometer mark.

I have never thought about the amount of sodium or carbohydrate.

I always water my body at aid station.

I get a lot of sponges, put some ice in my hat during running

• Options

@GO AONO thank you for your reply and the TP.com credentials...I am in there now! You can see how Run and Swim are ok, but the bike is a bit lower than normal.

We are doing more intensity now, as you can see from the close grouping of the blue dots here:

So we are on a good path right now.

This is a good time to talk about nutrition. Here are rules.

1. Water is bad for exercise. It is "inert" 不活性 you need sodium to get it out of your stomach. And you need calories for fuel (easier to drink than always eat).
    2. we do sweat test to see how much fluid we lose. then we replace with carbohydrate drink...based on your lean body mass, we can see how much you need to eat.

Go here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Nutrition+Central

Then go to this section "The Recommended "On-Course" Nutrition Solution" and follow the steps for a sweat test. If that's too complicated, then start with 1 bottle of carbohydrate / sports drink per hour on your rides. ALL RIDES. You can ask your colleagues in the Facebook Japan Group for advice on what they drink. Let's get this started!

~ Coach P

• Options

@GO AONO - Time for us to check in again. When you get a chance, please tell me how your body is feeling as we head into February. Have you adapted to the training? Or are you still struggling on the weekends with the volume plus intensity?

• Options

Swim, no change.

I was able to complete the January run menu, but I was wondering if I should increase the total practice time or decrease the practice time of the run to spend more time for bike practice.

Is it a good policy to do the high-priority menu?

Bike

As it has been pointed out that the amount of time spent on bike practice is less than the amount of time spent on running.

At Miyako-island in late January, I did not feel as much improvement as I had expected. I would like to increase the amount of time spent on bike practice and take more low-intensity long hours.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2020 3:29PM

@GO AONO - Thank you for your update. I have modified the Half Plan into the Taiwan 70.3 race for you, and added an additional endurance ride (1h) on friday and a "pre run" warm up spin on the bike before Sunday. This should help.

Do not be depressed about last weekend. Your long ride on Saturday was at 189 NP....in contrast, your NP in your most recent Ironman was 159. That is a 30 watt increase...almost 20% higher. Your fitness is coming around.

Note, you might still be tired from last weekend's adventures, so it is ok to be patient with your body this week.

~ Patrick

• Options

@GO AONO I wanted to thank you for your diligent work. I see you are indeed cycling more and have reduced the run. I am sure this has not been an easy change for you.

I see that you did not do a long run this week...do you want to still keep it (it is on Sunday schedule) or stick with doing more runs but during the entire week. I know you have a schedule that you like to follow with your friends / training partners so please let me know!

One last thing. I do have a help request. In Final Surge under data, can you please make sure you choose STRAVA to sync with Final Surge and NOT garmin? Right now you have double workouts showing up in the FS log and it is confusing! Thank you.

~ Coach P

• Options

Practice menu was not achieved ,because I went to Miyako-island for two consecutive weeks.

I rode on my bike outside , so I didn't have time to run.

From this week, we are going to do the run according to the menu.

I changed the order of this week's practice a little.

Please point out if I made a wrong change.

I am getting stronger little by little, so I am very grateful to the coach.

Thank you for your continued support.

• Options

I am thinking of canceling the competition in the Philippines due to the coronavirus.

I am thinking of changing to a local tournament in May instead.

After that, I am wondering if I should go to the Philippines in June or IronMan in Korea(maybe in September).

What does do you think about this plan?

• Options

The Half Ironman competition in March has been cancelled, so could you arrange my plan?

At the moment, I am thinking about the Ironman competition in Philippines in June and Malaysia in October.

Should I join Half Iron man??

Also, I've been enjoying taking a Zwift ride recently. Is there any effective way to use it?

I look forward to your reply.

• Options

@GO AONO you do not have to do a half Iron Man to be ready for the season. You have already been training for a while so your Fitness is already turned into a positive direction. 👍

It is fine with me if you do the Philippines and then Malaysia, but you also mentioned maybe not going to the Philippines.

Have you made a decision on that or do you want to just start training for the Philippines and see what happens?

• Options

@GO AONO Ok, I updated your plans in Final Surge To eliminate the 70.3...you'll see a change starting on Thursday.

Also, very nice work today in your bike intervals!

• Options

Thank you for changing the plan.

I will practice for the IronMan in June.

I will email you if I have any further questions.

Thank you

• Options

Excellent...how are you feeling after last week?

~ Coach P

• Options

I think the bike practice time was secured in February.

I've reached about 1500 kilometers.

But I couldn't achieve the intensity of the training, so I want to do the power training that I do on weekdays.

Should I adjust the intensity a little or do it until I can't do it?

I couldn't run much in the middle of February because the sole of my foot hurt, but recently I feel like I can do it according to the menu.

• Options

@GO AONO - your trianing time on the bike was excellent yes. Now to think about quality (good call).

We should talk about the layout of the plan to make sure that the bike workouts have space to be successful. For example, we could do Bike Quality on Monday and Thursday, Friday easy, then Weekend Volume. This would mean no bike on Tue/Wed, maybe also none on Friday as needed. Does that schedule work for you?

If you need to modify your intervals, here is what we recommend:

• Option 1 = Do intervals as written, for example 4 x 10 minutes @ Zone 4. If that's too much...
    • Option 2 = Adjust interval duration, doing 8 x 5 minutes @ Zone 4 to make it more manageable. If that's too much...
    • Option 3 = Do the 4 x 10 intervals with as much at Zone 4 as possible, then the remainder at 10% lower watts then planned.
  • Options

Can you modify my bike schedule? Quality on Wed and Fri in the morning, easy on Mon, volume on Sat and Sun.

It is difficult to practice bike on Monday night because I have to work.

I swim in the pool in the morning on Monday.

Is it important to make a day not to ride a bike?

Is it more important to practice with high quality than to practice with distance?

I try to change the schedule as much as possible within a week to complete the menu.

• Options

@GO AONO Right now I don't see your account in my coach profile; this is an issue with Final Surge as soon as I get access for you I will change!

• Options

@GO AONO I have done it! I moved swim and run to mondays (as you have done in the past), and made that rest day a rest day. I also took the "split run" from Thursdays and make run #1 be on Wed PM and then second half on Thur AM.

I think this will make it work for you...please let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you for adjusting the schedule.

I think it will work.

I did the bike-FTP menu today.

I shortened the time a little bit.

Is it okay to gradually increase the strength?

GoAono

• Options

@GO AONO Yes to gradually increasing the strength. As you go, I'd like you to just add a note into the comments with the change you made (or tried to make) so I can follow along, okay?

~ Patrick

• Options

Japan is in a difficult situation, how is the coach doing?

I am in trouble because the environment for practicing swimming is not good.

I spent last week without feeling like running.

I would like to recover a little this week.

#1A big ride is scheduled on Saturda 4th,, but can it be changed to Sunday?

It is difficult to practice outdoors on Sunday, so is it possible indoor practice on the Big Ride?

#2How many revolutions should I keep when I ride a bike for a long time?

#3Maybe Iron man, which is scheduled for June, is also cancelled.

Can I continue the practice menu?

• Options

@GO AONO Thank you for asking about me. These are tough times for social isolation. I think I am alone for a lot of my life, but now that I am not allowed to connect with people, I really miss them. 😢

I think a rest if okay for you, so please do that.

Indoor Big Ride is okay, for the cadence you should vary it. I do 10' at 90 rpms (or normal) and 5' at 95 rpms (slightly higher) then 5' at 85 rpms (slightly lower)...that's 20'. Do that 3 times through for each hour. I will often stand a bit in a lower gear (65 rpms) as part of the lower gear work.

I say we continue training and building volume as you are able for right now until we have clarity on the race. This volume phase is a good part of your season, and the race is a good reason to do the work.

We can always dial things back and take it a bit easier mid-year, then try for a later season if we want.

The goal here is to be smart in building fitness and mindful in case you need rest. When we have facts, we can adjust!

How does that sound?

~ Patrick

• Options

I am aiming for Malaysia's IronMan, but is the plan all right?

For bike, in addition to the EN menu, I added a little variation to the training peak. Is it OK like this?

I can't get a long ride on the weekend. What should I do?

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice about bike.

I think I'm doing the run as planned.

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice about running.

• Options

The only tournament that may be held this year is ironman Malaysia at the end of October, so please adjust the menu .

• Options

@GO AONO Ok, targeting IM Malaysia it is! Here is the layout of the training...

• 6/1/2020  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/12/2020 41 [ 6 weeks ]
    • 7/6/2020  Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 8/2/2020  27 [ 4 weeks ]
    • 8/3/2020  Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/25/2020 83 [ 12 weeks ]
    • 10/26/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/22/2020 27 [ 4 weeks ]

So we are good right now through the start of June. For some reason your Final Surge Account keeps disappearing from my coaching view; I am working to get it back so I can make changes for you.

~ Coach P

• Options

@GO AONO - Update, I am back in your account and made the changes outlined ^above^ . Please note that I also have you:

• Finishing out this week of training
    • Taking two weeks of lighter training (so we have a Mini-Rest) in the middle of the season so you can recover.
    • Then beginning the progression.

Please let me know if you have any questions of how this plays out!

~ Coach P

• Options

@GO AONO - thanks for checking in with us this month. I am very excited to see that you're making strong progress on the bike. It has definitely shown up in your data, and is a sign of a good trend moving forward. 👏

Can you please tell me what it is you're looking for in terms of getting faster with a lower heart rate on the run? Some people consider that to be a measure of efficiency. If you can still run fast but a lower heart rate, you are working more efficiently is the assumption.

The challenge with that is twofold: first is the environment that you're training in, such as the weather. Second is the pace you are running at, your intensity.

I know that the summer gets humid for you In Japan. Pretty soon, even your easy run piece will have a much higher heart rate. This is simply because your body is working to help you run but also help you stay cool simultaneously.

Once I understand more about what your goals are, I can work to help you achieve them. Thank you in advance.

~ Coach P

• Options

My run time target for Iron Man is 3 hours 45 minutes.

What should I be aware of when I go to practice?

I think the lower the heart rate is in the same condition, the better, so how can I lower it?

For example

①take in interval practice.

②run near the LT pace.

③Just follow the menu.

and so on

What kind of method is good?

• Options

@GO AONO - yes, if we have to choose between you running eight minutes and 30 seconds per mile at a high heart rate, or eight minutes and 30 seconds per mile at a lower heart rate, we prefer the lower one.

The challenge is that a low heart rate is a function of many different things. As I mentioned in the post above, part of it is just the environment you are racing in. Hotter days mean higher heart rates. Then we have your physiological make up. Larger athletes with longer legs tend to have lower heart rates; all her athletes tend to have higher heart rates.

So rather than chasing a universal a low heart rate, the best idea is to take a look at your heart rate for the long runs now and work on improving that. In other words, making incremental relevant changes based off of youR fitness as a baseline.

Your long run Average Heart Rate is about 145 for the 21km you ran on Monday and that your ran four weeks ago (on a Sunday). This is a great place for you to be with your HR; I don't see much room for improvement here.

Starting next week you move into more of a bike interval (work) phase. This has shorter runs in general. Please note:

• you can add a short 2km run after any weekday bike that you want.
    • I'd like you to ride before the long run on the weekend (Sunday) if possible.
    • The goal of this phase is to really push the bike intervals during the week!

~ Coach P