Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brad Cline [TeamEN]

edited November 25, 2019 3:46PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• St. Anthony's Olympic Triathlon (2020-04-25) #StAnthonysOli_20

Your Notes

I have done IM Wisconsin, IM Coeur dAlene, and IM FL. Last was 2010. Have done a few sprints here and there. Went back to Grad School at 48, so extended time off, and now ready to focus on Oly / Sprint distance for a while running 2x a wk, lifting 2-3x a week, spinning 2x wk. Have been off for last 3 wks.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 9, 2019

• On 11/4/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/9/2020
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 2/3/2020  Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 4/26/2020
  • On 4/27/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/10/2020</p>

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Bradley Cline Welcome to Endurance Nation! Congratulations on grad school and glad to hear you are getting back to triathlon. Thanks for choosing us! I'm here to help make your transition to EN easy and as awesome as possible. I want help get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals.

First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Next, Final Surge stuff. I see that you are already set up in Final Surge. Your workouts are posting. Nice work! To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and workout comments. Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete.

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those comments are helpful as you track your progress, prepare and plan for your race.

It's easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (which helps you figure out what works best for you), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

You will do some bike and run tests. You can use your average heart rate during the test to set your customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too):

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. 

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

Submit your homework here

We want to know what will make your season a success and what your limiters are. Let us know here. We will work on a set of targets to get you there.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Thanks Matt!

I have zwift, but since I live in FL I plan to do about 50% indoor, 50% outdoor training, and since I do not have power on my bike (yet) for outdoor, I plan to use HR for my zones. I have the outseason plan loade per Patrick, but plan to test this week. I saw somewhere there is a difference on testing indoors vs outdoors. Any advice on which should be used if plan 50/50 per above? Thanks!

My season will be a success if I make steady fitness gains and stay healthy (injury free) through St Anthonys, and then I am able to use that to focus on getting faster second half of 2020 for another olympic. Bonus would be getting back to half distance end of the year.

Brad Cline

• Options

Also, i added core strength plan on top of outseason. had a question regarding work out discription, specifically for push up. it says 2 x plank and 2 x pushup. is that literally just 2 x a set of some number or 2 x 30 seconds for plank and what for push up? Let me know if this type of question should be on another channel :)

• Options

@Bradley Cline Do the test wherever you think you will be able to do it repeatedly and be able to compare results. You will test multiple times across the OutSeason and we want similar test conditions. I have a bias towards indoors just because I can control more of the variables. You also have power indoors which is easier to see improvement vs distance/speed outdoors (based on wind, temperature, traffic etc).

You will capture both HR and power if you test indoors and can use the HR data outside. Yes, there is variation - but it will be close and you can compare workouts under like conditions (outside #1 v. outside #2) and (inside #1 v inside #2).

I would like to work with you to develop some intermediate goals to keep you healthy through St. Anthony's and then faster for the second half of 2020. Talk to me some more about your injury history. What kind of injury was it? Is it from running, biking, or swimming? What did you attribute it to? How have you recovered from the injury in the past?

For the core strength plans it is 2x a duration where you are to go to a "tick below failure". Failure = you’re done, you can’t go one second more of plank or one more pushup. We want you to just a tick below that, just short of total failure. For example, during the first week you might

1x 50 sec, and 1x 45 sec

1x set of pushups that is just one tick below failure i.e. 35 pushups

1x set of pushups that is just one tick below failure i.e. 25 pushups

Keep track of these and you will see your duration of plank time increase and number of pushups increase. The number sets and exercises increases across the week. Its pretty cool to look back after week 3 or 4 and see how much better you are at a simple plank and pushup. You don't need to go crazy. The one tick below failure done multiple times a week, across multiple weeks has a bigger impact than a single crazy hard day.

• Options

Thanks Matt for the feedback.

Very clear on the core stuff, thanks!

As for the injury history, I had a lot of distance activities in my past (IM, Marathon) and being middle age (50) I had 2 micro calf tears (calf heart attacks as they call them). I have found an excellent PT (Dr) who is used to working with athletes and have an effective targeted stretching regimen that has worked and not had issues since. I also switched out of Newton shoes and transitioned to a more flat foot strike.

The other big piece to avoiding injury is to lose the extra weight I have put on the last few years for less strain on my calves. I have been out of the sport for a few years, so this is why my focus is to get good fitness (and lose the extra weight) through SA, then I can focus more on the interval training on the run and getting faster after for the rest of 2020. With biking I have no limitations and can go as hard as I want now.

Thanks again!

Brad

• Options

@Bradley Cline I'm glad to hear it helped. Thanks for the note.

Thanks, too for sharing your injury history. That's great found a PT and have a good stretching regimen.

How do you plan to tackle the extra weight? Coach Patrick has a Body Composition video here if you want some ideas: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Courses/Nutrition.aspx

What kind of workout frequency and consistency goals are you considering?

Talk to you soon,

Matt

• Options

@matt limbert as far as frequency I will try to follow the outseason plan as is, so 6 days per the plan. I added the core training on top of it. The nutrition link was great, I started tracking my calories today and plan to focus on body comp asap. My goals would be to steadily improve my running while avoiding injury. As for weight I am confident by following the body comp and the training I will reach my goal weight by SA. Now at 208, would like to be 190 by then, so 18 lbs in 6 months. I did mention to Brenda that I had an issue going to the links listed to the side of the video from coach P.

Performance wise I would like to really look at performance gains in my cycling, which is my strongest discipline. I plan to do the 'heads / tails' (?) and test out early this coming week. I had put in my last zones for the bike as a baseline but need to test out as I did for the run.

• Options

@Bradley Cline Nice job on your long run today. You will gain a lot of insight by tracking your calories and learn how your calories are distributed across carbohydrate, protein, fiber, and fat. You can also identify some of the easy wins - by looking for those foods / snacks that are high calorie and easy to avoid or reduce.

Looks like you are running 2-3x week now. We would like to see you running 4x week by Dec 8. Just run. Get the frequency. Next week run both stride workouts and long run again. The following week, just run during your interval day for the 3rd run of the week. Let's hold off on the intervals until you have a couple of weeks of consistent running. Let's see how your body responds to the frequency before we add the intensity of intervals.

The heads / tails and testing are good ideas. Your last zones can get you started and like you said, they are a good baseline. Here, again, let's set the goal for frequency and back off the intensity. We want to get your body to adapt to the stress of increasing frequency and then add the intensity.

• Options

Thanks Matt. Will do, this week both strides days and long run. Following week both strides days and just regular run during interval day. Then look to go to 4 x per week. Will do the same with bike with focus on frequency vs intensity for now. Makes sense.

• Options

@Bradley Cline Nice job with the consistency last week.

• Options
    Brad -

Nice to see you getting on a roll. It’s going to be hard to keep it up
    during the holidays, but remember even 15 minutes a day makes a difference.
    Have a great week.

~ Coach P
  • Options

Thanks, focusing on getting consistent helped a lot. I know it has been a while but surprised how challenging physically it was to get back into that type of schedule. Pretty fatigued last week, starting to work through it and feel better.

I will be traveling wk 51 and wk 52 without access to a bike (unless hotel has a spin bike). What is the best way to handle my training during such weeks?

Thanks!

Brad

• Options

@Bradley Cline

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options
    Brad -

Just a quick note on the travel problem. The best way to solve it going for
    is actually run frequency.

Generally speaking when we move to a travel focus adding down time of year
    from a training perspective, all were trying to do is keep your metabolism
    rolling. We want to avoid extended periods off with bad food and high
    potential for illness.

Success is not hitting all of the key workouts in all of the disciplines,
    success is maintaining a 30 to 40 minute daily aerobic load whenever
    possible. I will take walking, elliptical, treadmill, spin bike, Zumba, you
    know it! 😂
  • Options

Sounds good!

• Options

Bad head cold last week :(

Gonna try to get back at it today.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2019 10:57PM

@Bradley Cline Nice hear you are feeling better and good run on Sunday! Ramp up your effort over the next few days. You don't need to crush it your first day back. Have a good holiday.

• Options

@Bradley Cline How is the new year treating you?

• Options

Happy New Year Coach P

A little disappointed as travel and end of year flu threw me off track. But thats ok, I am finally feeling better today so time to reboot! Looking forward to being able to get back to the structure I had established beginning of December, continue focus (especially with holidays over!) on improved body mass! :)

• Options

@Bradley Cline

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options
    edited January 13, 2020 4:37PM

@Bradley Cline , got your three month update, below. Thanks for filling it out. Agreed that the CONSISTENCY is key...that is the underlying work that will help to build your engine and really make you stronger. Keep us posted as you head into the SC plan for Tampa! 🌊 🏊 🌊 🏊 🌊 🏊 🌊 🏊 🌊 🏊

+++++++++++++

Month Three Status Update from Bradley Cline

Rate Your Fitnesss (Scale of 1 to 3):

• Your Swim: 1
    • Your Bike: 2
    • Your Run: 2
    • Body Composition: 2

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? Getting back into structured workout weeks, 5-6 days a wk

How Else Can We Help You? None now. When I switch to short course plan in Feb I will want to focus on swim technique, endurance. St Anthony’s swim in Tampa Bay can be quite rough, done it many times but been a while.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2020 5:20PM

Just confirming, when I switch to Short Course Feb 3rd, given it is 20 wks set to end on April 26 (race day), will I essentially be jumping in on wk 8 coming out of Outseason plan? Or will I start in week 1 of Short Course and go through week 12?

I was a little concerned to jump directly into Wk 8, as this week coming up will be first week after holidays/flu that I am back on Outseason Plan frequency wise, but still not up to duration yet on work outs. Hoping in the next two weeks to hit all workouts plus be closer to duration of each per plan.

Thanks!

• Options

@Bradley Cline

You will be doing the LAST portion of the short course plan. You have the right idea for the next two weeks. Take it easier on the run workouts and as you start to feel better ramp up the effort on the bike. The runs during the next block are a bit shorter, but we do add some swimming. We can more make adjustments if we need to. Let us know how your transition back is progressing.

• Options

OK I will plan to test run pace and bike HR the last week of OS to be able to update zones before jumping into Short Course plan.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2020 8:34PM

Per above:

When I look in my plan history it shows Short Course starting 2/3, ending 6/21:

So just confirming I will adjust Short Course to end on 4/26?

Thanks just want to get it right :)

• Options

@Bradley Cline

Your Final Surge is all set. You are programmed for the LAST 12 weeks of the short course plan. Final Surge always shows the full length of the plan in the plan history, even if we only use a part of it.

So you will start at week 9 in the plan. This is a typical shift - putting you into a race specific plan with 12 weeks to go before your race. This plan will start to incorporate some swimming and higher intensity runs. There a two swims the first week to get you back in the groove of going to the pool. Use those to get all those logistical things out of way "Where is my suit?" Where are my goggles? When is the pool open? etc. Then, the following week (2 weeks from now) you will have a swim test to dial in your beginning swim paces.

• Options

Awesome, thanks Matt!

• Options

I just transitioned last week from OS to Short Course wk 9 in preparation for St Anthonys. I saw week 10 of Short Course had testing so planned to do that this week. Now that I drill down, I see that there is testing for the Power bike users, but not the HR users. I had planned to use testing wk 10 to update my zones for the short course plan.

I had planned to do the HR testing as I do not have power on my bike (other than zwift sessions) so all my out door training will be HR based, along with my race.

Could you remind me how to Bike test for HR?

Thanks!