Homeβ€Ί Coaching Forum 🧒
Options

Eric Towson Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hey Matt,
    Did my 10K TT for end of JOS. 54.51 for 10K, 8:49/mile.
    Do I enter that in Final Surge? What do I do with that time.
    Thanks,
    e
  • Options

@Eric Towson Nice work! Way to get after it! πŸ‘Š

Yes, use the 8:49/mile in zone calculator and use the EN zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. It is two step process. Compute the zones, then update the plan. The update the plan part changes the text in the workouts to your customized zones

Coach Patrick made a "how to video" here

Give us a πŸ˜€, πŸ‘οΈ, πŸ€” or a GTG or follow-up question - to let us know how it went.

• Options

Alright,

Weekly checkin.

1. Going to finally try to upload the training plan to zwift. Last time I asked I was still in the Out Season. What plan am I know on? I think it was the swim accomodation plan?
    2. Also, not sure what I am now doing in general. The original goal was to get back and do a couple of sprints or olympics. Now it seems everything is likely to be cancelled. Maybe, it should just be a focus on foundational fitness? Seem like there are two big chunks of training on the weekends. I don't feel that I could actually handle that level of volume fitness. My ability or durability curve to increase volume does not appear to be too steep.
    3. I think my new goal is to build durability/fitness to when I have the opportunity to do a HIM I am ready to go?
    4. Finally, the training week has two separate 30' runs on the same day. How much time should I give them between runs?

Thanks again

• Options

@Eric Towson Awesome Weekly Check-in. Keep it up. You can build a "workout" as a reminder and make it a regular part of your training! πŸ‘Š

You are finishing the Swim Supplement plan and you are fit enough to jump into the the last 10 weeks of the Short Course plan, which focuses on developing Olympic Triathlon fitness. I think that plan will complete the previous OutSeason and durability work you have been doing for the last few weeks. The plan will continue to build the fast and keep the time commitment low, then when we get some more clarity on races we can easily transition to the higher volume HIM plan.

RE: Time between two separate runs. Short answer: A couple of hours 4-5 at minimum. The long answer is to space out ALL the workouts and consider the day before and the day after. This idea applies to all double workout days. Morning and Lunchtime. Lunch time and evening. Morning and Evening. All those options work. Think about the two separate runs in context of the previous and following day. If you have the flexability, you can space all the workouts out for maximium rest. For example, if you have two runs on a Thurs. When was your last workout on Wed? Wed afternoon? That will make a morning run just a bit tougher, so maybe you do a evening run for the second run on Thurs. But, then you might have a early morning swim on Friday. I like the early swim (when we had the opportunity to swim πŸ˜‚) because it gives me all day Friday and Friday night, almost 24 hours between efforts and feel it helps set me up to feel better for a hard Saturday ride.

Let us know what you think and I look forward to more check-ins.

• Options
    Hi Coach Matt,
    How do I find out what week I am in for swim plan. I am loading bikes into zwift and am not sure where to start.
    It does not appear that short course plan has zwift workouts.
    Is there an alternative?
    Thanks,
    E

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Eric Towson You are finished with the swim supplement plan and are starting week 11 of the short course plan. I starting building the short course workouts in zwift for you this afternoon. I'll check them over tomorrow and send you a zip file to download. Give me a day.

• Options
    Sounds great thx

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@erict Here are the Short Course Zwift workouts for weeks 11-20.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

• Options

@erict - πŸ’₯Nicely done!

• Options
    HI Matt,
    I am a bit confused. The zwift short course workouts on not in the "short
    course" plan in the training and resources.
    2020_SC_Wk20_FTP_1_.zip is a link?
    Not sure where to find this. In zwift already?
  • Options

@erict I sent you an email with the .zip file attached. You will need to download that file and unzip it to the computer or platform you use to Zwift.

• Options
    I did not get an email other than what is the coaches thread.
    Did it go to my gmail account?
    E

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@erict Yes.

You will need to unzip this file and download it to your computer.

Under your rider number in the Zwift workouts folder.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

• Options
    Awesome. unzip and loaded into zwift.
    Ready for tomorrow.
    Thanks so much.
  • Options
    Good morning.
    Great zwift ride today with my own trainer plan. Much more focused.
    Thanks for all the effort to set that up.
    E

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@erict Great to hear! Thanks for the note. Keep knocking them out.

• Options
    Good morning,
    A couple of more questions.
    1. Final surge workout does not match the next zwift loaded work out for short course. FS has a 1 hour workout and zwift a 2 hour workout.
    2. I am week 11 for short course?
    Thanks again,
    E

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2020 6:00PM

@erict

Yes, you start on week 11 of the short course plan

The Zwift workout you are looking for is: 2020 Wk11 FTP #2

• Options

The Zwift workout you are looking for is: 2020 Wk11 FTP #2

• Options
    Thx. That is what I am following.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Anytime.πŸ‘

• Options
    edited May 1, 2020 8:55PM

Weekly Check in:

1. zwift work outs uploaded thanks to Coach Matt. It has helped to maintain focus on the training in the proper zones. Learning to adjust to the slower zones rather than pushing hard or too high.
    2. run: focusing on keeping the slow pace slow.
    3. Both of the above so I am not over training. I have been pretty consistent since California shelter in place began. I am feeling fatigue and some knee pain. Either I need to rest more or I have been over training.
    4. Goal for the week: slow down, knee exercises.
  • Options

@erict - thanks for the update. I agree, it's super interesting how athletes bodies are responding differently to the change in training protocols that we've all been experiencing during the lockdown. For some, this has been an opportunity to build new fitness. For others, a chance to push a little too close to the limits that their bodies currently have with regards to training and staying healthy.

This is essentially unknown territory, but the good news is that we have no external pressures for you to continue pushing each individual session. With the race calendar being affectively cleared for the short term, we can focus instead of making the best possible decisions for our bodies on a daily basis.

Side note, it's important to note that sometimes the stress and fatigue we are feeling aren't solely a result of our exercise. There's a great deal of extra pressure and stress on us and that can cause fatigue to materialize. I don't know about you, but I certainly have been sleeping a great deal more than normal in his current times. It's part of just how I am physically coping with the emotional and mental stress of what we are dealing with.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Continue with the bike workouts as you have them scheduled because that progression is great and effective.
    2. Feel free to drop a run day and replace it with some active recovery such a stretching or yoga. There are ton of free sessions on Facebook live on Instagram and even just on the Internet if you search hard enough you can find one to do that takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.
    3. Self a designated rest day if you don't already. It's fantastic to have permission to sleep in without an alarm. Or to explore something else without following a dictated work out. There is discipline in getting the workouts done and following a program, and there's also discipline and prioritizing your total health over any individual training plan. Let's explore the latter!

~ Coach P

• Options

Well,

I was aiming for weekly check in but clearly it has been more than a week.

1. using zwift consistently with the EN plans loaded.
    2. Generally, five days of training mainly for fitness. Dropped the swimming for now with pools closed.
    3. Faded on the strength training and stretching
    4. Back to work thank goodness so the fatigue is certainly higher and struggling to this week to get the workout outs in.
    5. Workouts seem now to be a balance for health without exhausting myself.
    6. The emotional investment to prep and restart my business means most workouts are therapy and the best available effort for the day.
    7. New aim is to stay consistent.
  • Options

@erict - worries, you have to have priority so I get it. Honestly, the last thing you posted there under number seven is the most important. The consistency is what is key. Even if you can't hit the session the way that I wrote it, just going out for a run or just getting your leg over the bike seat is important. Those daily sessions are building a habit which you can eventually expand into something that's more relevant to Fitness once you have adapted to the current stress load.

For me I have to get one of my training sessions in very early in the morning. Making the choice creates conditions that I have to execute, particularly going to bed early. Going to bed early means I can't be messing around at night with my work which means, I have to get it done during the day. Find a habit and stick it, and the rest will fall into place.

Definitely don't worry about the swim stuff right now...but I would suggest you budget time for some flexibility work. Even 15' twice a week can help...I never have time for it, but when I get it done I always feel better!

~ Coach P

• Options

Good Morning,

What's next? Just finished the plan for the "races" I had planned on.

1. no pool access other than the one in my back yard. I have a tether I can use. Just add minutes of swimming? It so how many?
    2. Trying to surf with the kids as much as possible to fitness focus to keep up with the teenagers in the water.
    3. Redo the zwift work out that was already provided and loaded?
    4. Run for durability?
    5. Just mainly need a plan to follow for fitness. I do better when I have something to focus on. Maybe aiming for JOS 2021?
  • Options

@erict - I hear you, I feel like that's the question that every athlete is asking right now. Some of them out loud! 🀣 I think a nice balance between consistency and an active lifestyle such as surfing is perfect. We don't wanna necessarily lose too much, but we don't need you to be overly focused. If you're outside burning calories having fun, life is good!

I have loaded or run durability program into your account. This is a great baseline for you. It gives you some structure so that you can build the run diligently. This type of progression is actually really effective and making you a stronger and more resilient runner. And the best part is, it doesn't take that much time! The key is still to listen to your body. Don't ignore any of those signals if it is pushing back on you.

The only exception to the plan is the weather. If you've got a great weekend where you want to go put an a long ride, you absolutely should do it. Long single day events are a great boost to your overall fitness, this is true for any time of the season. Dial the pace down, make sure there's places to grab food, and pedal that bike. Doing a long ride once every 4 to 6 weeks is a great way to maintain overall endurance while still keeping your general program pretty light. What do you think?

• Options
    Is there a run durability component to add for zwift cycling aspect?
    E

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@erict rather than just load something into your account, I'd rather build something out for you that matches your intent. I'm not sure how much cycling you want to do per week, so let me know what you're thinking or what your goals are. At the very least I would like to have two quality sessions a week in game. These are typically one race and one tempo or one race and one endurance ride. What are you thinking? When do you usually ride?

• Options
    That would be great.
    Ideally, three runs and two rides.
    Usually, Saturday ride and Wednesday.
    Run Tues, Thursday, Sunday.
    Thanks,
    E

Sent from my iPhone