Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Run Thread

With January OS about to start tomorrow, I wanted to introduce myself as the Run captain and get the run thread started! My partner in building fitness (aka Bike Captain) @scott dinhofer has already posted a great OS resource so visit that thread as we move into week 1.

My goal as the captain will be to keep you all on track with your run training during the OS and help answer questions, or point you to WSM's who can help!

Week 1:

• 4-5 runs depending on which level you choose. You can add some extra runs in if you are coming off a run durability plan or have hopes of streaking in 2020 like me - I set a goal of 20 for 20 in 2020 - 20 mins easy run each day of the year. Posting here to make sure you all keep me accountable.
  • Most of your runs will be at TRP (target run pace) level of intensity which falls in the middle of your Z1 and Z2 paces

Coach Notes:

• Our goal here is to get you running a solid baseline mileage that will (A) increase across the OS and (B) help carry you through the rest of your year.

Happy training and I look forward to improving our fitness together n JOS 2020!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

To add to above: I am doing the Run Focus OS so those of you like me will have 6 runs this week.

3 days of Strides

Hill/Strength work on Wednesday

Long 1hr Run Saturday and Sunday 45min Run Durability Plan

• Options

Thanks for taking on the JOS Run group, Daniel.

I just set up the RUNN for my treadmill and Zwift and am trying to make sure I have it dialed in. It feels good to be getting better data.

• Options

Thanks for leading @Daniel Ballin !

• Options
    edited January 6, 2020 2:01AM

Looking forward to training with you all. Thanks @Daniel Ballin

• Options

Thanks for stepping up @Daniel Ballin. I look forward to build my run back up this year starting now.

• Options

@Daniel Ballin thanks for stepping up as JOS run Captain.

• Options

Thanks for doing this @Daniel Ballin I'm sorry I had to relinquish my Captain duties. I hope to join the group as soon as I know what I'm able to do with my injury.

• Options

Thank you @Daniel Ballin I am spicing things up and doing snowshoe running for 2 of my runs and nordic skiing for one other. I am a rebel like that.

• Options

Thanks for taking the lead as the run captain @Daniel Ballin ! Looking forward to kicking off OS#4 with the team.

• Options

@Daniel Ballin - thanks for leading.

I am starting week 2 of Jan (Bike focused) OS.

I'll try to keep up with you animals as much as possible.

#Workworks!

• Options

Thanks @Daniel Ballin! I am doing the Run Focus OS as well and hope to continue my run streak from the Holiday Run Challenge going at least until Spring Break (late March). Today was a core workout followed by an easy 30 minute run. I plan to switch up the weekend so that I can do the Hang-On ride with the team on Saturday morning and move the long run to Sunday.

• Options

Nice work @Dave Mehl I plan to do the same on most weekends. Lets both keep the streaking alive! I did 20min with cadence focus today at lunch. My plan is to really work on improving my cadence over the course of the OS.

• Options

I'm also on the bike focus OS, but will draw inspiration from your running!

• Options

I'm already off book getting a quick strides session in yesterday 25'. I'm on the bike focus plan but this is more about creating some bandwith on Friday for swim lessons with Brody.

• Options

30 min treadmill session today after the bike workout. Ran to TRP HR and did 3 20" strides. Felt good to have some snap while running.

• Options

Nice work @Jeff Phillips ! I also did some TRP for the first time in a long time and the slighter swifter pace felt good for a change from all Z1

• Options
    edited January 8, 2020 2:53PM

Some interval work on the TM @ 1% grade today using Zwift wko for 800M intervals..........ready for coffee....

@Jeff Phillips saw you finishing up just before I was beginning. Nice work today!

• Options

9x400 today with 90 sec rest. 1-6 were good, 7-9 I was huffing and puffing at the end.

Great to share the track with @Shaughn Simmons and @Vincent Sivirine

• Options

Great work team! I have never done a run workout in Zwift but know they have the new track. Are their structured workouts like KMF @Shaughn Simmons shows 2x600 or does the team have structured run workouts in Zwift? Maybe the run captain should know but ...

• Options

This was an early outdoor run for me - windy, so odd numbered repeats were into a headwind, evens a nice tailwind! Made pacing a bit of a challenge...

• Options
    edited January 8, 2020 4:47PM

@Daniel Ballin - Mine was a 6 X 800 Zwift wko I selected under the custom Zwift running wkos.........At this time Zwift does not have the same run functionality as bike where you can create your own custom wkos....however, if one wanted to do a 4X800 they could select the custom 6X800 available and just perform the first 4 intervals.......

• Options

always learning from the team and in particular from KMF! @Shaughn Simmons a

• Options

I braved the elements today (29F) too @Angus Whitfield - nice work keep it up. One day I may try the treadmill like @Jeff Phillips or @Shaughn Simmons

• Options

Today's 9X400 on the dreadmill was challenging but gratifying. Decided to jog/walk the 2" rest splits .

• Options

Thanks for leading us @Daniel Ballin.

On run focused, did the L2 hill run on the TM. Felt pretty good, still recovering from holiday cold.

• Options

Felt brave so went to the gym and hopped on the TM. Started the first of the 4 strides slow and tentative. Foot felt great. THe next 5 i dropped the pace by 1:30 and went for it. I have NO idea what z5 is. Coach hasn't let me run test for a LOOOOOng time. Best guess 09:50. HR was 156. So fast enough for today. I do have spin class tonight too. SO time for feet up and an ice pack.

Went to the butcher and bought bacon. Because BACON makes everything better!

• Options

@Daniel Ballin 29F is not braving the elements, well perhaps relatively it is it was 3 here this morning with lots of wind so 29 is very mild weather for me this time of year.

Broke up my Wednesday run as I could not get out of bed at 4:45 am. Ran to and from work with some .25 mile sprints in the new snow. Only got 5 .25 mile sprints in today, given my energy level I'll take it and build on that next week.

• Options

PSA:

Unlike the NOS, which has warmer weather and decent quality food with some sunshine to enjoy. WE do not. We are starting a VERY stressful training cycle basically in the dark and at the peak of FLU season. IF your mood is garbage or your body is "tired". Take that extra rest. It does no good to get up at o'dark thirty to get that run in feeling like you have been hit by a bus. Your ROI would be to sleep and let it go. BEing sick for 2 weeks is a much bigger loss than 1 or 2 training sessions.

PLEASE be very mindful of your hydration and your nutrition. I take black elderberry elixir daily for immune boosting. (I work at flu central).

Recovery isn't as sexy as sweating our arse off but .......If you don't recover like a boss the wheels WILL come off the bus.

Be healthy my friends! What do you'll do to stay healthy ?

• Options

@Jacklyn Moore very good advice. Thanks.

Ran to the local high school track to do my intervals. I haven't done any run speed work for a long time. Being 63, doing run speed work can be risky. I started the first interval conservatively in Z4. It felt ok, so I did the next one a little faster at the top end of Z5. So far so good. I got to the 5th of 9 and my glutes and hamstrings were starting to whisper to me. In the past I might have ignored that and pushed through but I decided to call it a day and head home. Joe Friel says to quit high intensity intervals when you feel you could do one more and I felt like I could do one more.

My B race is 5.5 months away and my A race is 8.5 months away so I have a long time to build my fitness. Today was about starting to lay the foundation without getting injured.

• Options

Great advice here from everyone! Thanks for the reminder @Jacklyn Moore all very good points. I am like some of who where my high intensity work has been quite minimal the last 2 years so I am planning to listen to my body like @Mark Maurer and back off when needed. Exactly why I am taking the first few weeks of the OS at L1 and then moving up as my body adapts to the fitness. The minimum amount of stimulus to achieve the gains is always my mantra. Tough in here some time because we have some monster teammates who impress me regularly with their performances but I have to remember everyone is different so listen to your body. And yes @Gordon Cherwoniak I know 29F is not cold ... I grew up outside Toronto but now live in Virginia and just came back from a week in Florida so 29 felt like 2! Cheers everyone keep it up! #soinspired