Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Bike Week 6 - Digging in Deep

Now we've tested and all have shiny new FTP numbers to take out on the road. This is the week that we dig in deeper and build upon the solid gains we've been making thus far in the OS. 

For those that feel they've not been hitting it, a great week to dig in and get it done. For those that are feeling the accumulated fatigue, keep on it, great week to build the mental strength and really solidify your training.

I am looking forward to reading some great results, questions and the always lively discussion.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited February 11, 2020 5:43PM

@Shaughn Simmons No doubt about the 6 x 2. Did 5 x 2 yesterday and was thinking how hard can it be to hold that for 2 minutes, forgetting that the FTP is now bumped up. Also, bumped up my tested FTP of 237 to 240 in Zwift. Used 1.25 for the 2 minutes giving me 300w. Effective IF was 1.26. Last interval was tough. Only gets worse next week but getting faster does not come free.

@Paul Hough I know what you mean about introduce it carefully. I know from experience that I am good up to about 1.4 to 1.5 in SHORT intervals. I have caused a problem in one of my knees before pushing the interval too hard for too long.

@Jeff Phillips I like it. I was looking at giving a race a shot but wondering how that will convert to VO2 work as opposed to FTP work. Looks like the surges kind of take care of that. Still on the fence so keep us updated.

Adjusting the Thursday workout a little. It had the 30" intervals at 1.75 or 420w for me. That is definitely a danger zone for me. Dialing those back to 340w or about 1.4. It also had the 1' intervals at 1.6 or 384w. Borderline for me so dialing those back to 320w or about 1.33. Just do not want to cause any problems so proceeding with caution.

Making some scheduling adjustments this week as I will be out of town in Naples, Florida from Thursday evening through Monday for my niece's wedding. Plan is to get all 4 bikes in Monday through Thursday. Doing the scheduled run today and the long run on Thursday after the pre run bike. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are all just run days. Trying to get in 5 runs this week so will be reducing the time and distance a little on the scheduled long run and FTP run to keep overall mileage only slightly higher than the last two weeks. Got in 15.7 and 15.3 miles the last two weeks. Planning on 17 miles this week. I should be okay and will cut back if needed.

• Options

Did the 4X2' this morning, but cut the rest interval to 3' because of some time constraints. Intervals were@ 1.15, 1.19, 1.21, 1.18. Pretty good place to start. Run done as a brick.

Again, the support for my mom is greatly appreciated. A quick update; she's already gotten the complete use of her left arm, left leg still not there yet, her attitude is really positive, and the folks are taking good care of her.

• Options

@Mark Lane Great news about your mom. Happy to read that.

@Bill Eckert I think the race was an interesting substitution and it's one I hear many people on the team (Coach P included) talk about. I'd say there were three differences today as compared to the workout: 1) power peaks were higher in the race; 2) peaks were not as long; 3) the rest was nowhere near like it was in the stated workout, it was a constant 3.0 w/kg effort, with a few dips to 2.5 w/kg. Meaning, my HR was higher throughout the whole workout and I had to get used to doing more work with that higher HR.

I'm assuming these are likely some of the benefits others on the team see with the races.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2020 8:30PM

Posted in the wrong thread this morning. 6X2'(8')@1.2 below.......pain city. Everyone, nice work getting it done!

• Options

Nice work on getting the week rolling. I took this morning off as I'm taking a easy run week. Will get in my bike ride tomorrow am but just wanted to check in.

• Options

Completed the bike and the first VO2max session. After consulting with the Coach Thread over my VO2max:FTP question, I am sticking with the plan. I also stuck with level 1 and its 3x8' intervals at: 1.19, 1.20, 1.22. Tough, but there was reserve in the tank, and I could tell I had at least one more interval in me.

When I get a moment to breathe and sit down with the computer again, I will be downloading level 2 workouts...but that may not happen until the weekend.

• Options

After a bad cold and 14-days straight of work (with some low sleep nights), I’m back to JOS. Won’t have to do that again ‘til late August, hopefully without the cold next time. I stayed active, except swimming, and everything ended up being under an hour. Eased back in with a 1h Sweet Spot Bike on Mon... a 1500 mod hard swim this am, a 3mi descending run around the indoor track this afternoon, and a series of Sufferfest VO2 intervals tonight 4 x 2’ @ IF 1.2 with 90s RI. Looking for a 5 run week with the full bike and run WKO’s this weekend.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2020 3:05AM

good job all, I here you @John Culberson - last week was a tough fight for me.

did 2100m on the VASA this am as 8x150+100,

tonight I did the 5x2' VP2 intervals.. OUCH! Jill came in the middle to ask me a question and said "that doesn't look fun" about sums it up!

• Options

Rode my bike to work today so when I got home I was warmed up and ready to hit the trainer. Jumped on Zwift and The Hoff was riding so I latched on, or at least I tried. He hit his first interval a few minutes into my warmup and left me in the dust. 4X2 in the books 1.22, 1.22, 1.21. and 1.22. I stopped the ride after the last 8 minute rest interval because I'd already ridden over an hour with my two commute rides.

Happy riding everyone.

@Mark Lane good news about your mom. Onward and upward.

• Options

@scott dinhofer : I would think that my new 2020 1 min HR was due to fatigue... but the 1 min Power that went with it says otherwise. It’s probably time to do a Zwift race

• Options

@John Culberson welcome back

Got in 5X2' with some progressive NP increase from 1.17 to 1.23 for the last one. ended with 10' in zn2 to round out the hour. I did not want to be too aggressive as I'll be doing back to back Vo2 session as I missed biking yesterday and want to get in the two weekend rides for the bike focus plan

• Options

Got in the Thursday VO2 workout yesterday. Definitely hard, especially after doing the Tuesday VO2 workout on the day before. Waited a little while to do the run. Was hoping the rain would stop. Ended up at the gym on a treadmill but got it done.

Saturday Long Ride today. Going to keep the "all out efforts" short.

• Options

@Mark Maurer - it was cool to see you near me in the zwift land, circled back. You need to get an EN jerzey and represent !!

• Options

Problem is the EN rides haven't lined up with my schedule.

• Options

phew - that 5x2' was intense. Worked out how to get on top of the cadence after the 1st interval - definitely not one for a slow grind!

• Options
    edited February 12, 2020 10:36PM

@scott dinhofer I'm noticing that the TrainerRoad OS workouts are not the same as in my JOS plan. Anyone know about that? TR has 1min intervals, not 2min.

• Options

@Sue DeJesus What discrepancies do you see? I do the workouts in TR and haven't noticed anything amiss -- I looked up Tuesday L1-L3 and see 2 min intervals there. Thursday's are a mix of 30 sec intervals and 1 min intervals, varying by amount as you go from L1-L3.

FinalSurge seems to match too. What workout day and level are you looking at?

• Options

Saturday Long Ride done. Legs are definitely feeling tired from consecutive bike days. Only tomorrow left before heading out. Going to cut tomorrows ride back to about 60' before doing the "Long Run".

• Options
    edited February 13, 2020 2:24AM

Pro tip for everyone on these short, steep intervals, disengage ERG mode and have at it, the ramp up in ERG mode takes almost the whole 30" or 1' interval

@Sue DeJesus - did you figure out the TR issue you described above yet?

• Options

@scott dinhofer @Jeff Phillips today's workout in TR has 1min intervals, my FinalSurge has 2min intervals. Next week seems to match. Thanks for checking.

• Options

Hi @Sue DeJesus Below is what is shown on FinalSurge for me today. Only thing I can think of is do you have 2020 JOS plan, or 2019?

Priority: High

MS Choose Your Ability Level:

-Level 1: 3 x 30" (120") @ Max Sustainable Effort, then 3 x 1' (4') @ Max Sustainable Effort with 10' @ Zone 2 (173 - 185 watts) between sets.

-Level 2: 4 x 30" (120") @ Max Sustainable Effort, then 4 x 1' (4') @ Max Sustainable Effort with 10' @ Zone 2 (173 - 185 watts) between sets.

-Level 3: 5 x 30" (120") @ Max Sustainable Effort, then 5 x 1' (4') @ Max Sustainable Effort with 10' @ Zone 2 (173 - 185 watts) between sets.

Additional Time: Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ Zone 2 (173 - 185 watts), you can push a bit harder to Zone 3 (198 - 210 watts) if able.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Yes, I believe I have it worked out. Thanks!

• Options

@Jeff Phillips No, I do have the 2020 OS, but TR has a bunch of 2016 OS workouts. I haven't found the best way to load them to the calendar other than from the calendar view and import them one by one by title name. Do you have an easier way?

• Options

@Sue DeJesus I upload one at a time. I go into the app and type, "2020 os wkXX...". The workouts for that week show up and and I select the applicable workout for the day.

• Options

Some very strong 5X2s and 1 minute work going on in here!

I got the V02 in this morning, just painful.

• Options

@scott dinhofer @Jeff Phillips I checked next week's workouts and TR & FS are the same except Sunday's workout in FS is 2:30 long and in TR only 1:30. What do you do with the remaining ride to ride?

• Options

@Sue DeJesus I assume you're doing bike focus OS? I'm doing bike focus and if I do the TR workout, I'll just continue to ride for another hour at Zone 2 to get the 2.5 hour total ride.

• Options

Completed today's bike session. 3x30" at over IF 1.5 each, then 3x1' at IF 1.51 each. I fought the urge to drop the rpm, knowing it would get tougher if I did. The watts to target for the intervals scared me again, since they were even higher than earlier this week. But I did them all without reducing the bias with the Zwift companion. And TrainingPeaks rewarded me with an all time 1-minute power record.

• Options

@Wendy Kelly solid Vo2 sets.

I did not really know where I wanted to be going in to this set. Hit the first one too easy 1.38, followed that up with a 1.54 then settled in to 1.6 If

5X30' then 5X1' @1.6 I was just holding on for the last two in the final 15" so figure I got it about right. Legs did not like the lactic acid for sure but HR responded well during the rest periods.