Home General Training Discussions
Options

JOS 2020 Bike Week 6 - Digging in Deep

2»

Comments

• Options

did my THursday sets this AM, clear to me that my FTP SWAG must be close to right given how difficult I found the last interval of the 30s and the last two intervals of the 60s.. Going to Utah next week and bringing bike shoes and power pedals hoping condo fitness room bikes will allow me to get in interval sets..

#workworks

@Sue DeJesus - need to learn how to create workout files. I don't know how to do them for TR, but I do for Zwift. it is helpful if you need to spend 5 minutes fixing it. sorry the D------arses didnt get it right for you.

btw, I turned of erg mode using the Zwift companion app a few seconds before each interval, riding a mostly flat course in zwift, helped me maintain the effort better #gamechanger

• Options

Did 5X30", 4X1' Thursday morning. Good workout. Took a couple 30's to get the pacing right.

• Options

I did the workout Thursday after work.4X30" and 4X1'. The first 4 were at IF 1.61 and the second 4 at 1.57. The last two, especially the last 30 seconds of them, were tough. Skipped the 6 minutes at 180 watts. I kinda wonder about that range for me. It seems like the gray zone of not easy enough or not hard enough and it just boosts the TSS of the ride a little.

Went and had a bike fitting for my gravel bike today. Can't wait to get out in the wild on it.

• Options

@Mark Maurer Enjoy the gravel bike.

Cruise and crush today and I did not want to get crushed so went with 1' intervals looking for a minimum up 8 got in 10 between 1.38 and 1.44 IF. Legs felt a little rubbery going in to the final 1 minute and it was hard. 2 hour 6' the with 157 TSS, 27 more TSS than last week as I lengthen out the weekend rides a little more.

I was looking for anything mentally on this ride. At 1 hour I noted ~18.5 miles completed in an hour, which really means nothing on the trainer but does equate to a 3 hour 1/2 or 6 hour IM ride assuming you can hold that speed. Anyway it's more miles than I've been covering in previous rides so a positive and I took that in to the 2nd hour.

2nd hour I was working the credence to keep the watts in the higher zn 2 area during the 10' off periods.

Finally counted cadence on the final 3 - 1' crush intervals and limped in 6' recovery to end the ride.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Nice work early this morning with HangOn ride!

• Options
    edited February 15, 2020 7:53PM

I’ll be moving through the 9 stages of the Tour of Sufferlandria over the next 11 days. (Business next weekend) The stages all Include a variety if high intensity work, including plenty of VO2max. I’ll be focusing on four stages where I’ll leave my ERG at IF of 1.0 FTP, while dialing the other stages down to IF 0.8 so that I can survive. Today was at IF 1.0 and included three longer climbs with plenty of attacks, at close to VO2 max, for a total duration of 1:52... probably pretty similar to CnC.

My overall intensity was IF .9 with 40’@Zn 3 and 40’@Zn4. The attacks provided 12’@Zn5+. My TSS was 155, and TP gave me a slew of 2020 gold medals. While I entered the ride well-rested, I was very happy with my ability to survive the nearly 2 hours of VO2 attacks which required a lot of “recovery” at Zn 3 and 4. The toughest 2h ride since last year. I felt that I’ll be ready for CnC in 2 weeks.

• Options

thanks @Shaughn Simmons - was a tough morning for me, having done my VO2 intervals yesterday morning instead of thursday. Wanted to do an easy hour cruise after that, but I went to hard despite not hanging on to the group deep into the 1st lap onwards..

managed a 4.5 mile run a couple of hours after, so all wasn't lost!

• Options

I had ~20 min warm-up this morning of easy riding and then did the ZSun Base Builder group ride, which was 25 laps of the Volcano. Hard ride and I was able to hang with the group for the first 1 hr 45 min, avg 2.7-3.0 w/kg when cruising. At that point, I popped. Finished the 100K in 2:44, 170 TSS and .79 IF.

• Options

Did the ride on the Yorkshire World Championship route today, 4 laps total. Since I didn't know the course that well I did a 30" interval just a couple of minutes before the KOM. I still tried to crush the KOM but started falling apart about half way in so I dropped off. After that I did the sprint which was only about 22 seconds. The second time around I did a 30" interval with plenty of time to recover before the KOM. My goal was to get faster on every KOM. I was able to do that on the next three but the last one was a real mental test because I wanted to shut it down after about a third of the way up. The last one was a couple of seconds faster than the third. All of them were between 3:21 and 3:30. I still did the sprints but they are pretty close to the KOM so I got slower on them as the workout went on. I didn't do the last one since I was cooling down.

• Options

Great work @Mark Maurer

I did 90 min this morning on TrainerRoad. 2x12 min at Zone 3, the remainder at Zone 2. I was debating Cruise N Crush this morning, but I was pretty tired from yesterday's ride.

I'll do the 85 min run later this afternoon on the treadmill.

• Options

@Mark Maurer 151 TSS over 2 hours is solid work.

@Jeff Phillips I've had a few of those debates this OS on doing more work. It's always nice to get it in if you can but I think a good call if on your part if you are tired so you don't affect downstream workouts.

66' for me today with 2X10 @ .86 IF.

• Options

All those watts y'all are placing up there are motivating me to work even harder to get mine higher!

I completed the weekend's sessions.

Since this weekend was the final long run for a half marathon in two weeks, and I am a little skittish about overdoing it, I opted to skip the second bike this weekend. I plan on both next weekend.

Saturday, I completed the 2.5 hrs with a Zwift race (3R Innsbrucking Flat course...which I discovered is not exactly flat). My nearly 1 hr warmup prior to that race was mostly in Z2 with a few "crushes" thrown in. I struggle with these Zwift events to get back to Z2, and end up spending more time than is perhaps desired in Z3/Z4 (perhaps similar to a comment made by @John Culberson ).

Today was an 11 mile run. My schedule has been tight this weekend, and because of this I chose to run near my house and a quasi-industrial park area...and thanks to Atlanta's lack of consistent sidewalks this meant a series of out-and-backs. But I was mentally prepared for that (unlike a year prior which led to a bad attitude mid-run). I rushed out the door early in hopes to avoid the rains that were coming this morning. The weather forecast was off, and the rain arrived about 1 hour earlier than expected, leading to a wet run. Ugh. But, my spirits remained high, even when the rain started coming down harder.

• Options

great work everyone!

My legs were fried going into Sunday's long run, what with two heaving bike WKOs before them. I could have pushed the last mile of the run up to zone3, but it struck me that this was prime injury territory - going deep on a run when legs tired & muscles not necessarily firing at optimum.

going to enjoy my day off!