Home General Training Discussions
Options

Running with power - All things Stryd!

13»

Comments

• Options

Has anyone upgraded to the new Stryd that factors in wind?

• Options

@Jeff Phillips I upgraded to the wind version. I haven't looked into any of the additional features it added, I just wanted to have the most updated, accurate device they offered.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - yes, I have. If you look at the data I posted a couple days ago, you can see the power loss from wind broken out. That data is from an indoor track workout, so the differences in power are likely due to either the measurement precision of the device or drafting effects around other runners. I don't have enough experience with it to know how much the wind feature impacts run execution.

The main feature that drove me to upgrade is that the HW platform is upgraded. The wind capability was interesting, but I wanted to be on the platform that was going to be able to accept and run Stryd's latest SW innovations.

• Options

I also upgraded to the new wind version when it was released. Like @Tom Glynn and @Rich Stanbaugh I upgraded mostly to have the latest and most accurate platform.

• Options

Thanks @Rich Stanbaugh . So the P Avg W column is for wind in your data?

Compared to the old hardware, do you still see one number on your GPS device for power, which has been adjusted for either head wind or tail wind?

• Options

Hey @Jeff Phillips yes, you still see a single power number, which takes into consideration the impact of wind.

• Options

I just ran across a great Chrome Extension and a video that explains it.

The topic is running effectiveness which is a metric that figures out how good you are at converting power to speed. Before the calculations had to be done in WKO, but now they can be done right in the Stryd Power Center.

The video is here: https://youtu.be/RQ5j5c6_MPc

There is a great article on Running Effectiveness from Steve Paladino here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTzjH-Ns_GInUm4lAxi3cVOQpzzKcWNF6VEX271s-QGYFHjwMgyLhhmu5i21-1_CaC3eL0B817rQo8k/pub

"RE is a simple, yet very powerful metric.  The equation is, quite simply:

RE = speed/power

(where speed is in meters per second and power is in Watts per kilogram)

Therefore:  RE = (m/s) / (W/kg)"

Running effectiveness varies with speed and elevation, so my thoughts would be to look at runs that are around CP, say 5K or 10K races, CP tests etc.

Once you have that number, start by bench marking yourself:

At FTP, on relatively flat terrain, in good running conditions, it is likely that:

RE = 0.99 to 1.01 is near average

RE = <0.99 is below average

RE = >1.01 is good

RE = >1.05 is likely the realm of elite world class runners

(Again, the greater the value of RE, the more “effective” the runner is at converting external power into speed.)

So, if your RE is greater than 1.01 you are probably good to go! Otherwise, it's time to get to work :). Steve's article talks about a few key areas, most notably leg stiffness, a metric tracked by Stryd. Improve that, and your RE should improve.

Another area that this metric helps with is predicting race times. There are a bunch of race calculators out there that take known data and help with race planing and predicting. There are a couple of good examples in Steve's article linked above. One scenario here:

"For example, an athlete says “I’d like to break 3:00 for the marathon”. A 3:00 marathon is run at a speed of approximately 3.91 meters per second. Then one must estimate the runner’s RE for a marathon and for the course, based on RE in prior races, key workouts, .... 

For example, if a runner can be predicted to run a marathon with an RE of 0.99, then a 3:00 marathon will take 3.95 W/kg.  

Power = (3.91 m/s)/(0.99) = 3.95 W/kg

Of course, the 3.95 W/kg can be used to calculate actual target power by multiplying by the runner’s weight in kilograms. Assuming a weight of 70kg in this example, the target power would be 276.5 W. Planning further, if the runner has a kilogram to shed, and they can train down to race weight of 69kg, the necessary power for the 3:00 marathon would become 272.6 W. "

I'm still mulling through how to temper these calculators for Ironman, but think it can be done. Lots of people on FB are modeling races and the results seem pretty good at predicting finish times. Of course there could be bias where only good modelers post results :)

Tom

• Options

Making the same point is the following table and text.

This is from here https://hetgeheimvanhardlopen.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/The-breakthrough-of-running-power-meters.pdf

The author was one of the guys who wrote The Secret of Running about running with a power meter.

Personally, I'll be getting out the skipping rope and having 15 gms of gelatin an hour before 5 mins of skipping, quite a few times a week to see if I can improve my RE through stiffer leg tendons.

• Options

@Peter Greagg thanks for the link! I think it’s interesting that they go after the correlation to VO2 Max rather than CP/FTP. Most cyclists would tell you that FTP is a better correlation to winning. Of course you can’t have a big FT without a big VO2 :)

• Options

@Tom Glynn thanks.

Being a Data-Guy for most of my life, I have a very strong interest in modeling.

You said up-thread:

"I'm still mulling through how to temper these calculators for Ironman, but think it can be done. Lots of people on FB are modeling races and the results seem pretty good at predicting finish times. Of course there could be bias where only good modelers post results :)"

Could you point me to where this modeling takes place?

Peter

• Options

Thanks @Peter Greagg @Tom Glynn for posting on this topic. I'm learning how to use all this information to make me a better runner (long way to go...) and this RE metric is very interesting because it links in a simple way the power you generate to your pace / speed.

Based on what i can see in Stryd PowerCenter my RE is around 0.8 so on the lower side (lots of room for improvement) but my LSS is actually pretty good (around 13kn/m). According to the article the second lever to improve RE is to increase the horizontal power ratio. Do you know how to either calculate it or find it in Stryd PC?

I think my horizontal power ratio must be low and must be the main driver of this low RE. Mobility is clearly one of my limiter and i can see how it negatively impacts horizontal power ratio based on the chart below.

Another one is obviously my W/kg @ 35w/kg (my CP is 288w for 82 kgs /180lbs). No surprise here, lose weight and get faster :-)

I'm going to run a HM tomorrow only based on power instead of focusing on pace, we'll see if it help get close to 1h50. Then i'll do like @Jeff Phillips and spend more time doing Pilates and mobility exercises.

• Options

@Vincent Sivirine i think your RE number of 0.8 is low for some reason. Two quick thoughts: 1. Your Stryd weight is off. Look at your settings on the phone app and see what weight you are using. That should be the same number used in the Chrome extension. As discussed above, Stryd does not recommend changing your weight in the system unless your weight has changed significantly and the change is permanent. 2. The RE numbers should come from flat courses and you should be running right around CP/FT, so things like 5K or 10K races, CP tests etc..I’m not an expert on RE data, but under 0.9 just doesn’t seem right to me.

@Peter Gregg. Steve Palladino and Alex Turan have done some great work with power calculations. Their Super Power Calculator is coming out with v.4 shortly. Two good posts on their product are here:

• Options

@Tom Glynn you may be right that my RE is incorrectly calculated in PC. Below is a 18' segment of a tempo run showing RE of 82%.

My speed is 5:05 min / km or 305 seconds for 1000 meters = 3.28 m/s

My power is 282w, my watts per kg = 3.51 (Stryd setting which corresponds to 288w/82kg)

RE = 3.28 / 3.51 = 93%. Better than 82% but still on the very low end. I will try to understand why RE is wrong in PC.

• Options

Hello,

I am back. I have power numbers from my last few runs. Let me know what else you need to know to help me understand what the number means and how I use it. Thanks! Happy Easter!

• Options

@Virginia Edmonds,

Welcome back! We are going to need a bit more information to get you up to speed. First, I don’t believe you are using a Stryd power meter, correct?

Power numbers will make more sense with a little more context. We need to figure out effort relative to those numbers above. So, how far did you go? How hard were you pushing?

Typically we would like to benchmark your effort, measured it watts, against a fairly long sustained effort. An easy target would be an all out 10K effort? Have you done one with power recently? If you haven’t, I can suggest a test you can do to mimic that effort.

The all out effort is used to estimate your threshold power (often called Critical Power in running terms).

Once we know this effort level, we can use it to set zones for training using power. So, rather than zones set by heart rate or speed/pace, we swap them out for a more precise power number and all efforts will be based on a % of your threshold.

So, I’d love some more context on the above numbers; time, distance, effort (easy, medium, hard)? And then, do you have a recent 10K race result? Otherwise, I’ll give you an idea to test - only if you are allowed outside now!

Be safe.

Tom

• Options

@Virginia Edmonds

Do you post on Strava? If so, could you post links to the runs?

Cheers

Peter

• Options

Thanks Tom and Peter!

I will get you some Strava links and I use a Coros power meter. It works with my Coros Pace watch. It does give me run efficiency too. I will get you more info. Thanks for helping me!

• Options

Hey All,

Wanted to post an example of the new Stryd with wind power and how it helped me with a windy track workout today.

High wind on the backstretch, doing half mile repeats. Stryd displays on my Garmin watch, and I could see the power rise each time I turned into the wind. Kept conscious of over-exerting into that wind as I made my laps, and use the home stretches with the tailwind to recover.

Here's a pic of one lap; you can see the air power in grey, showing how much of my wattage generation was to simply overcome the wind resistance.

You also can see my pace (in blue) drop on my second lap as I hit the backstretch, then pick up again into the finish. I hit my times exactly where I wanted them, and was not too fatigued to complete the workout.

Here's another lap, where I started on the backstretch, into the wind. You can see the air power ramp up fast as my speed picks up. Also can clearly see my pace fluctuate with the wind, as I adjusted my effort to keep more consistent power output, rather than consistent pace.

Learning a lot from all of your posts!

Colin

• Options

@Colin Turner , that’s really interesting! I upgraded to the latest version just to stay current. I haven’t spent much time looking at the wind component. There aren’t many windy days either, so I guess it doesn’t hit my radar very often.

it would certainly be good to know in a windy race though!

Thanks for the post and graphs.

• Options

With so many working from home lately, Stryd has been putting on some great podcasts on a variety of topics. Their blog with podcast details is here: https://blog.stryd.com/.

On April 28, they interview on of my favorite podcasters, Shawn Beardon, who runs the Science of Ultra podcast. The link is here, for live via YouTube or recorded after.

Noon MT (GMT-6), Dr. Shawn Bearden of the Science of Ultra will join us to discuss the past, present, and future of running-related research and how he recommends to optimize training when your next racing date is uncertain.

Dr. Shawn Bearden is a professor of Physiology at Idaho State with a B.S in Sports Medicine from the University of Virginia, M.S in Exercise Science and Health Promotion from George Mason University, PhD in Exercise Physiology from Florida State, and a postdoctoral research fellowship at the Yale University School of Medicine.

Shawn has run his own laboratory since 2004, and been heavily involved with the research and sports performance world. Shawn hosts the Science of Ultra podcast where he talks with scientists, coaches, and athletes to bring valid, reliable, and actionable information to runners.

Topic List:

- How running research has evolved over the last decade and how Dr. Bearden expects it to evolve over the next decade

- How to plan an optimal training schedule when the timing of your next race is uncertain

- An overview of Dr. Bearden's training philosophy

Time & Date:

Please set a reminder for yourself for Tuesday (tomorrow) Noon Mountain Time (GMT-6) if you would like to join the webinar live and ask questions

https://youtu.be/tFHhj43PngU

If you are not able to attend, a recording of the webinar will be available after the event.

• Options

hey Stryd users / @Tom Glynn - looking for common practices as I try to decide whether to get one of these.

Q1: do you display running dynamic measures on your watch when actually running? If so, do you treat it as actionable information while running (and, I dunno, stiffen your leg on landing or whatever, in real time), or it is just interesting to know?

• Options
    Just Power for me Dave ... 3 sec avg
  • Options

@Dave Tallo I’ve got a standard Stryd watch setup. The main screen has average lap power, 3 second power and zone.

There are lots of other screen setups out there. Most have way to many data points and my old eyes just can’t read them.

I also auto lap every mile and that gives me pace per mile for a few seconds.

I mostly look at average lap pace on long runs and use the 3 second power to make sure I’m not trending down on power.

All other Stryd data is for post run analysis.

• Options

Q2: has anyone paired the stryd with a garmin 910 and displayed run power in “bike mode?”

• Options

@Dave Tallo i use my Stryd with a newer Garmin watch.

However I have the same issue you describe with my Vasa erg swim machine. It kicks out power data but the watch doesn’t understand swim power so I set up a bike activity on the watch and call it “Vasa”. The Vasa then sends data to the watch. When done, all the apps like Garmin Connect, TrainingPeaks, Strava and WKO think I went for a bike ride. It’s a pain in the neck to go in and change the activities for each, but it’s not hard or time consuming. The end result is good because I have all the data like yards swam, power, time, etc.

• Options

terrific @Tom Glynn. This worked, and I saw real-live power when running, and was able to look at the Stryd metrics in the app post-run. With the exception of the manual correction from Bike to run in GE, I'm guessing that's exactly what I would be doing if I had a device that had native pairing with stryd. All good!

• Options

Next question: what WKO charts are y'all running for run power analysis? (I'm guessing the stryd software is preferable, but Ive already got a weekly WKO appointment, so I might as well extend it to run power as well).

Oh - do any of you route data directly from stryd to WKO, or do you send the data as Garmin wrist unit->Garmin Express->Training Peaks->WKO?

• Options

I don't take any notice of the Stryd analytical software (which is based on Golden Cheater), as IMO WKO4/5 is really superior.

I have added a bunch of run power metrics to the WKO4 run Mean Minimal Pace curve chart {meanmax(runpower), and pdcurve(meanmax(runpower)), and ftp(meanmax(runpower))}.

In a similar manner I have created running versions of the bike charts: Best times for informal testing; and Bike Optimised Intervals.

I go Garmin wrist unit -> Garmin Connect -> Final Surge and manually transfer from Garmin Connect to WKO4. I don't use Training Peaks.

BTW, In can send you my charts if you want.

• Options

Hi @Dave Tallo, I am still hybrid power for running. I think about everything in terms of pace, plan it that way, then convert to power as I execute the workouts.

I look at the auto-CP in Stryd and compare to my mFTP in WKO to get a threshold. I basically determine threshold by rounding it to the nearest power of 5 between/near these two numbers... they are always very close to the same anyway (eg, currently CP from Stryd is 281w and my running mFTP is is 282w, so I think of threshold as 280w).

My run workouts are broken into the following kinds of runs.

EZ / Recovery ( anywhere from stooopid easy to easy... don't really use any data, but I put a cap on my HR below my LT1 which I have from some previous testing).

Speed - these are interval workouts that are based on the 5k pace associated with my goal marathon time (I use Hanson's tables, so eg, If I want to run a 3:30 IM marathon, I would equate that with a 3:15 open marathon and look on the Hanson tables to see what the 5k pace should be if you want to run a 3:15 open marathon). These are all shorter intervals from 12x400s to 3x1mi

• When I am doing the intervals, I observe the power associated with that pace. That power should be around the top of my Interval Power zone given by Stryd (eg, my current interval zone from Stryd is 281w - 323w and when I run at my target speed pace, power is around 320w - 325w).
    • After I've determined that these are aligned (my speed pace and that the power ≈top of my Interval Zone), then I use the power (325w in my case) as a target power for all my Speed workouts.
    • Using the power lets me ignore the hills / wind and just target the power for the workout.

Strength - these are longer interval workouts that targeting FTP / Critical Power development. The paces for these should be 10-15 seconds faster than tempo / race-pace (in this example, based on the 3:15 open marathon charts). These are all longer intervals progressing from 3x1mi to 2x3mi or similar.

• The power works out to be ≈FCP/FTP or thereabouts. I'm using 280 as threshold, so these runs should work out to around 275w to 295w for me.
    • Once I verify that they are in line, the I just run the watts.

Tempo - these are longer sessions at the target open marathon pace. I figure out what power that Is and just run the power.

Race Targets - depending on how strong your bike is etc, I've been seeing that full IM targets are around 80% of CP/FTP. A little less for weaker / less experienced runners and maybe up to 83-85% for someone strong on run and bike. As an example, my IM Louisville marathon was Pavg = 242w with CP/FTP = 292w with a little bit of over biking.

So - I am hybrid - I 100% use the power, but I am still thinking of paces when I am planning. I still cross reference the power with paces to make sure that the workouts that I am doing make sense.

I find that after I have developed confidence in the power targets, that running to those number is a massive help executing the runs. After you become really comfortable with the pace-power relationship, I think the power helps a lot with planning the runs too (my Louisville plan was something like: hold run power around 225w until my run form comes together (cadence got up to targets), then hold run power between 250w and 260w as long as possible). I ignored the hills, the wind, the pace, everything and just chased those numbers.

With respect to charts... I really do not do anything special. I do base all my TSS on power. I look at interval workouts to see how I was able to maintain the targets. If my CP/FTP changes, then I use the new FTP for all my workouts.

• Options

And Stryd adds a race power calculator. It's a pretty long post - I've just skimmed it but will spend some time going through it shortly.

I'm familiar with all the great work that Steve Palladino has put into this area. It's going to nice having it integrated into the Stryd software.

https://blog.stryd.com/2020/07/08/announcing-the-race-power-calculator/