Homeβ€Ί Coaching Forum 🧒
Options

Lauren Cepeda Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• IMSR 7/25/2020

Your Notes

Ironman races starting from the mid 1990's IM Penticton, IM NY,. with a 12 year break from 2008-2016 to start and run a few Crossfit boxes over the years. Angeles Crest 100 mile Race and finisher and then on to medical director.Β My most recent return came in 2016 with IM Boulder (fab course and race director) from there IM Wis 2017, IM TX 2018 and IM chat 2018, then again IM TX 2019 and IM Chat 2019. Santa Rosa IM 2020 (HOPEFULLY) if not due to CX will do IM Chat to keep my spot in the legacy que. Using Traineroad by Chad T. for swim bike run training for IM Santa Rosa, previously used Jim Vance's program fro the year 2019.Β I used Tower 26 training for the year2019. but cannot swim due to crisis. I have an older vasa trainer and stretch cords. I use a Tacx neo (1) for power on bike trainer and Polar for HR. STRYD pod for running power. My NEW bike is an OMNI TRIRIG. with an Element head unit and SRAM AXS 1x system and power meter.

I ride 3-4 x week, run 2-3 x week, crossfit 1-2 x week... and just not motivated to swim or vasa much. too sad.

I have NO children and IF I was working I would work 2 days a week ALL DAY as a RN. The Crossfit does take up my time in the evenings and some mornings.Β 

Β My Ramp Rate has been a bit steep recently 10-13.Β Fitness is a 100 on TP (training Peaks). and my TSS ranges 800-1300 (there MUST be a problem there in TP) weekly hours training 8-12 with long rides 3-4 hours on Saturday, Sundays Runs 1-2 hours. SWIMS NONE

My FTP on bike is low but i think it was due to an old bike problem FTP is 117 yep,Β 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on April 20, 2020

• OnΒ 4/20/2020Β Β Load theΒ Β --Β EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end onΒ 5/17/2020Β Β 27Β [Β 4Β weeksΒ ]
  • **Transition Early**
  • OnΒ 5/4/2020Β Β Load theΒ Β Β Β EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end onΒ 7/26/2020Β 83Β [Β 12Β weeksΒ ]
  • OnΒ 7/27/2020Β Load theΒ Β Β Β Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end onΒ 8/23/2020Β 27Β [Β 4Β weeksΒ ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with ο»Ώ@matt limbertο»Ώ as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:
Β«13

Comments

• Options

Lauren, Super cool have you with us. πŸ˜€ IM Santa Rosa. I did it 2018. We see that you have already connected your polar devices to Final Surge and are making helpful comments on your workouts. Nice work. You are already crushing it!

Once we know you are all set here. We can start to talking about bike setup, power meter, shoes, racing etc. This is place where you post all those pictures and comments Coach Patrick was talking about.

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Start using the Final Surge app (if you haven't already)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the our Team and GroupMe community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

Let's get after it! πŸ‘Š

Talk you you soon,

Matt

******* Post a comment below or give me an πŸ˜€, πŸ‘οΈ, or huh?, 😨 and I will respond back via email.

If any questions you have getting started -Β schedule a call with me here.

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an πŸ˜€, πŸ‘οΈ or a GTG and I will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference.Β 

How to subscribe video:Β 

#3 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

You are already making great comments. This makes it way easier.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#4 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

Since you have already done the bike test. We will use your power during the test to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.Β  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones.Β 

#5 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. πŸ˜‚

GroupMe

Β·Β  Β  Β  Β  EN Live 24/7Β  [Join Here]

Β·Β  Β  Β  Β  Run Group [Join Here]

Β·Β  Β  Β  Β  Zwift Chat [Join Here]

Β·Β  Β  Β  Β  EventsΒ  [Join Here]

Β·Β  Β  Β  Β  Race Groups [Join Here]

Β #6 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance.

#7 Whew. You made it.

Ok, deep breath. 1,2,3.......You don't have to do it all a once. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you below.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options
    edited April 21, 2020 4:12PM

Lauren so good to connect with you on the phone today! I have a few notes to implement for you, so we can move forward.

• VASA Workouts for Prep Plan now, possibly race prep as well. βœ…Β 
    • Days Off Could be Tue or Wed for you. I set these to be Tuesdays as much as possible βœ…Β 
    • Crossfit Specificity - I have added these elements to your Fridays βœ…Β and varied between VO and Strength According to your plan! These are, of course all, bonus workouts, so if you need to dial them back or have been with to work a little harder at the box please do it.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled @matt limbert time! 🀣

~ Coach P

• Options

" @mattlimbert - I am in and looking forward to communicating with you moving forward. Do not forget to bookmark the thread by going to the star beside your name and clicking on it."

got it...

• Options

@matt limbert : a very quick question.... I am putting together my new bike (OMNI TRI RIG) with SRAM RED AXS 1x by, quark power meter on the chainring... new bike!!!! so, I have this Bottom Bracket (BB) problem... the BB that came with bike is a Pressfit 30 but not to DUB. I WANT a Hambini BB but will not be in production until...??? I can buy a BB infinit for 2/3 ($170 for steel bearings or $225 ceramic) the cost or I can go to SRAM and get a plastic Pressfit 30 DUB for 50$ and I can drive a few hours to go get it... what do I do???

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda BB are tricky. There are so many "standards." Can we talk about this during the call? In the meantime, it would be worth double checking with OmniRig on the compatibility of the ones that you are interested in. They will know if they will all work (ie length and external diameter.

• Options
    round two test
  • Options
    round two test email

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Lauren Cepeda <
    teamenforums+d26604-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Lauren Cepeda commented on Lauren Cepeda Official Coach Thread
    >
    > round two test
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/284862#Comment_284862
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

hi again, so I did go into Training peak and changed a few power settings behind the graphs, I upped the watts to bike to my "amazing" (not so great) FTP results.... what is the next step to change some past data that generates my 1000 plus TSS all the while feeling great!!!! That make total sense now

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda What were your old thershold numbers for swim pace, bike power, run pace and heart rate? What are you new ones?

All your workouts going forward will be scored based on the thresholds you just set!😁

Before you start take a look at your performance management chart and make some notes of today's ATL, CTL, TSB, and past week TSS totals.

Here is a video on how to recalculate your TSS for past workouts.

I would recommend recomputing for the last 90 days. The CTL calculation is based on a 42 day rolling average, so 90 days is plenty!

****In the video below I recalculated for 180 days and it took forever to process. I trimmed the video to save some time of the little computing circle spin.

****Disclaimer. After I recompute, I said in the video that my CTL was 130, it is actually 107. My ATL was 130 and my CTL was 107, down from 150 prior the recalculation. The TSS per week chart is accurate. I was at 900+ TSS then, down to 740 TSS after the recalculation.

The TSS is higher originally because my thresholds was low. I scored lots of TSS points because the work I was doing was close to or above my threshold. When I move my threshold up and recalculate, that same workout data is not as close to my new high threshold anymore and the TSS score is lower.

In my example, I raised all my thresholds for the recompute. If you raise the run, but drop the bike - you results will vary. What is most important is getting your thresholds right moving forward.

Let me know how it goes.

• Options
    πŸ‘will do post zoom CF tonight.,, working on my bike fit on the dinning room table... so white trash of me

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Lauren Cepeda πŸ‘Š Zoom CF! πŸ‘οΈ Bike fit on the dining room table. So dedicated! πŸ˜‚

• Options

LOL so, I had TP re calculate my CTL, et al... so... I am not over training! 'cause I didn't feel like I was... TSS went from 1100-1300 per week! to 530-670 per week... that seems better. my form was -78 and dropping I was a bit concerned now it is -20 thats ok with me... fitness was 103-130 (NOT) now 70 (ok probably more realistic) and fatigue CTL stays about the same... Whew... I feel so much better mentally, physically I feel GREAT... THank you!!!!!!!

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda πŸ˜€ That makes a lot more sense too. Those numbers all kinda line up. The double bonus is that we have a better set of numbers to work with and compare to how you are feeling going forward! Winning! Nice job taking that one on.

• Options
    Another question: Where on Final Surge, the calendar, on today’s work out, do you get to put a happy face or a sad face I’ve done it before but cannot seem to replicate The path to get to that screen

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

a bike question: I have this bike (my lamborgini) I dont have an engine in it yet (thats me) and I don't have wheels either... so, I have it up on blocks, I talked with HEAD and the old tri spoke wheels wont fit my NEW 12 speed SRAM cassette, My track gods (friends) are saying do a tri spoke in the front and a 90 mm deep rim in the back. (I need 700 c, clincher, rim brake) Or I could go 60 in the front and a 90 in the back? Would it look weird to have a tri spoke in front with a 90 in the back (mullet like) and are tri spokes NOT as arrow as deeper rim wheels... can;t find data on tri spokes vs deep rims...

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda RE: Happy face πŸ˜€ or sad face 😨 in Final Surge. Using the App. Tap the workout. Use the three vertical dots. Select edit. Scroll down. Make comments, happy face, sad face. Perceived effort. πŸ’₯ Save. Done!

While I love a good mullet as anyone does πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜‚ I would be more concerned about hub quality, weight, and handling. How deep were your previous wheels? Are you a confident bike handler? Do you have the opportunity to try some different depths or models with your friends? Your rear will require a special SRAM 12 speed Hub driver body. So maybe make the decision on the rear first?

60 is deep for the front. A strong cross wind makes handling in the aero a bit more exciting. The more rim = more weight. Just like a disk is great on a flat, but you don't want that thing on a rolling course. There are certainly advantages to the aero, but tradeoffs with the additional weight. It mostly ends up being a very personal decision. This is a great topic for a Forum post to the rest of the Team - you can crowd source years of experience on brands, customer service, reliability, aero, weight, feel etc. Once you narrow the criteria that are important to you make a new post here. Upper right corner new thread!

I have not seen a tri-spoke in a long time and have never ridden one so I can't tell you about the handling. Consider ALL the courses that appeal to you: climbing, descending, flats etc and the criteria you want to prioritize. There are a ton of 700c, clincher, rim brake options.

I know that didn't specifically answer the tri-spoke vs. deep rim but there is a bit more background to work through.

• Options
    • What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

I saw this from Brenda... while investigating the Groupme chat area...

For the success: its not about a time goal, that I have very little control over. what I do have control over is my fitness and strength. I am a AWA Bronze athlete... I would like to move up to silver this year. and or I would like to improve my watts in racing bike and run. I would like to run more of the marathon. I would like to come out of the water fresh and ready to ride! and ride strong. 4-5 min T2 or less. then out for a consistent strong run... time is irrevelant as everyone is battling the same things. I just want to be stronger!

my limiter: lack of fitness and age and body weight. I am 10 pounds heavier than I think I should be. I am working on that daily, fitness too . the age thing ... well, I do everything I can to stay healthy and I worship sleep!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

do you think I need to sign Czr up for Training Peaks?

and what program do you want him to use for controlling the watts on the trainer of TACX.. Zwift was mentioned by Brenda as a trial for three months...

and Sunday for me... the bike time is not clear and not sure where to go for the three cmments at the end of the week to post...

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda

RE: Goals. We really like your goals and your focus on things you can control like race watts, running more of the marathon, coming out of the water fresh and ready to ride. We can help you with all of those! Part of it will be developing the fitness, the other part will be working on your pacing and execution too.

We just changed Ceasar's training plan based on the feedback he gave us on his training so far. He will start the Half Ironman Bike Focused plan on Monday. All of those workouts are in Trainer Road and Zwift. Coach Patrick can join you to the Endurance Nation group and he can search for "2020 Half Bike Wk" in the workout title. I will explain the plan in his thread. For training peaks, it is not required we can wait and see if he is interested in that kind of feedback.

Brenda will send you a link to get access to the Trainer Road workouts.

You can use Trainer Road workouts for your IM race specific block starting May 4. Until then you can use a similar trainer road workout.

RE Comments on Sunday: Those can go here in your Coach Thread. They are good for both you and us. It keeps us up to date on how your training is going and you are feeling, keeps you accountable, and helps set some mid-range goals. Often we get so focused on executing the individual workouts that it is good to zoom out a little bit and think about what you did last week and what you want to get done in the upcoming week.

• Options
    Thank you!! Can you tell me the time for sundays ride… It is unclear how long you want me to ride for total time?
  • Options

@Lauren Cepeda

RE: Sunday Ride. 90' The intensity depends on how you are feeling and the level you intend to follow on the plan. Level 1 makes is an easier ride with most of the time at zone 1 or zone 2. Level 2 has a warm-up period of 30' and then 60' at zone 3 as steady and continuous as you can. Level 3 is more demanding with all 90' at zone 3. You will do this workout next weekend too and progress with more time at zone 3. Go with how you feel. Take it easy if you want. If you are looking for a bit more challenge then take at least 30' in Z1 and Z2, then see how long you can hold that zone 3 if you want. Make a note in your comments and then next week see if you can improve on the time in zone 3.

RE: Goals. We really like your goals and your focus on things you can control like race watts, running more of the marathon, coming out of the water fresh and ready to ride. We can help you with all of those! Part of it will be developing the fitness, the other part will be working on your pacing and execution too.

We just changed Ceasar's training plan based on the feedback he gave us on his training so far. He will start the Half Ironman Bike Focused plan on Monday. All of those workouts are in Trainer Road and Zwift. Coach Patrick can join you to the Endurance Nation group and he can search for "2020 Half Bike Wk" in the workout title. I will explain the plan in his thread. For training peaks, it is not required we can wait and see if he is interested in that kind of feedback.

Brenda will send you a link to get access to the Trainer Road workouts.

You can use Trainer Road workouts for your IM race specific block starting May 4. Until then you can use a similar trainer road workout.

RE Comments on Sunday: Those can go here in your Coach Thread. They are good for both you and us. It keeps us up to date on how your training is going and you are feeling, keeps you accountable, and helps set some mid-range goals. Often we get so focused on executing the individual workouts that it is good to zoom out a little bit and think about what you did last week and what you want to get done in the upcoming week.

• Options
    πŸ˜πŸ‘
  • Options
    @matt I was just forwarded the announcement that Sonoma county cx any and all special event permits. That is my Santa Rosa IM!!!!! Noooooooooooooo

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Lauren Cepeda It's going to be okay !😨

• Options

it was sunday.. but I am getting to this "accountability for the week thing" on Monday....

After shedding a tear or two and a mouth full of cookies (that were not worth it). We headed out of the house to go see the poppies on the Grapevine... then down to Seal beach to check on the house. Early in the Sunday Morning, Leah sent me the posting of Sonoma County CX special event permits unit JULY 31! round about way of saying not going to happen IM SR. I didn't want to reschedule my race as I truely " just wanted to get this race over with..." interesting thoughts as I thought about it. Have I lost perspective or something here? "why am I training?" "why did I reach out for assistance in training...?" "WHY THE F>>> did I buy a new bike?"

I am very familiar with IM CHAT as i have raced that one for two years in a row... IMSR was an unknown race course, unknown weather (truly a roll of the dice to temps), training has been good but unknown if what I am looking for a run (durability) has come together... would I be better prepared to race 24 weeks form now... DAH! but it was also cost too. The cost of driving to SR and dragging the bike along is way cheaper than all than goes into getting to CHAT. I had just finished booking KONA travel with TRI BIKE Transport and airfare and.... geez!

OK, so, I took the day off somewhat in protest and in self pity, but I did book a room in CHAT to start the process just incase that's my next focus... I started looking into doing something else like back to shooting. I miss the smell of gun powder in the morning and even will consider going to TEXAS for some workouts and family drama... we all need family drama to keep perspective on how great my life in with out it.

Until, I hear from IMSR I will march forward but with an eye on what might really happen in September... another IMCHAT!

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Nice job with your "accountability for the week thing" 🀣

I like the way you rally! You are already solving for the logistics of your backup plan! A day off + cookies! Then quickly coming up with a backup plan for IM CHAT. That might be best pivot and rally story of the weekend. All those questions are valid and there is nothing wrong with having them some of the answers you had for yourself just the other day were: about becoming a Silver AWA, running more of the marathon, riding strong and coming out of the water fresh and ready to ride.

"I miss the smell of gunpowder in the morning." - Also, might be the best quote of the post. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing. I'm sure you can find a way to shoot and still keep your training level high.

You have a good focus on IMSR with a good backup plan. We can put the training together for a strong race at either venue. Let's get a couple of good weeks knocked out and see how you are doing. Talk to you soon.

• Options
    Hi Matt!! Well, it’s official IMSR is Cx. I put a request in to transfer to IMChat yesterday knowing this was the possibility. So, fingers crossed I can get into IMChat it is in teir 3 now!!! I need your help changing EVERYTHING! And I think I may want to do a road trip across America for two weeks... I can run and jump rope for fitness (?)... while traveling... or not!
    So very sorry to put you all thru this

Sent from my iPhone