Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Lauren Cepeda Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Losing your race really stinks. 😥 But it’s important to note that this is actually a great opportunity for you. 😃 At the end of the day, training for a race like an Iron Man brings with it significant fatigue. We fix that with rest during the taper that allows you to completely absorb all the work you did while maintaining your increased capacity as part of peaking for your race. With your race a little farther away, we can use those additional weeks to slowly ramp up the intensity at a rate that you can easily absorb to make you a stronger and better athlete. And ultimately we will be able to better prepare you for the push in those final 12 weeks with this additional time!

Coach Patrick and I huddled and talked about your goals and the best way to use these few bonus weeks. We decided to finish out this week and start a new training block next week. It is our Specificity Bike Focus Block. Don't worry it still has 2x vasa swims, a few runs. Our priority is the bike - to help you meet your goal of being a stronger biker and running more of the marathon. We can move things around if we need to, especially the VASA sessions. This six week block has a challenge ride in there - you will do a ride like this a couple more times during your race specific block. It is designed to reset what you consider a long ride. It is a Z1 or Z2 effort, but you are out for 6-8 hours. We can modify it for indoors, if we need to. We are several weeks away from that ride (24 May). Just to keep it mind. How cool would it be to take your new bike an a super long day ride like that!

The bike workouts for next week are in Trainer Road. Search for "Bike Focus" and you should find "Bike Focus Wk1 VO2 short" etc.

As always, let us know what you think. Talk to you soon.

• Options

Love IT!! ok, I am in... that May 24th date for a long ride (over ride time) is that hard set? could i switch it to the weekend after... I have a date with some steal targets and A LOT of gunpowder in Nevada That entire week prior and that weekend... I have been planning a course in my head for the over bike challenge or I can ride indoors... I like indoors a lot... Its mentally more brutal. But I do need to work on some skills with new bike on road... gosh, well, I will do what ever you think!!

Heres the strangest thing... IMSR has not given us the ability to exchange the race for another race... They are working on it... but... hurry up! there are not many spots left!!!

Caesar has gotten the ok to NOT RACE until Kona (bastard) but we are trying to get absolute confirmation before he contacts you... he will get back to ASAP

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda lol. I literally do not want to get in between you and targets! 😂

We move that long ride. When we get closer we can move the workouts around. You can ride inside if that is your jam - this first time. We can do 2x longer bikes something like 2.5- 3 hours on the morning. Then 2.5-3 hours in the afternoon for a similar training effect. You will do that workout several more times, so we will eventually move outside to get the continuous works and of course the fueling, hydration and bike handling.

I totally understand. The uncertainty and their slow pace seems like another mental test. You can't control that one. You know the decision you will make when they make it available. You have everything you need. Do your best to let this one come to you. It's only to their benefit to get organized.

Things always seem to work out.for Caesar! 🦄

• Options

sorry we went off the grid and left the state of california and drove to Montana, big sky montanan!! The weather has been cool (37-41degrees) and we have spent much of our time driving around look at the beauty this state has in views and vistas. we have run a little just to shake out the legs... we will return home sometime soon, this was a rare chance and we just had to take it!... the mental relief has been much needed, we even got served at a restaurant ... such luxury lol

• Options

@matt limbert Hi again!! stumbled upon something... "BOX"??? so, i found it in the EN full training plan... ZWIFT 2020 WKO... this was on the right hand side of the page... I was thinking this was something to use while using zwift??

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Yes. You can use "Box" to download all the bike workouts for the Full Bike Plan to your computer or whatever you use for Zwift. The workouts in Zwift, function a lot like Trainer road. You chose workout mode and the workout file will control the tension on the trainer (just like Trainer Road). You can pick any course. The trainer will only change tension based on the workout file. It ignores grade. For example, you can pick workout mode, select a Full Bike Workout and then select Alpe De Zwift for a course. You will ride up Alpe De Zwift for the workout, the trainer will ignore the grade changes for the course and only provide the tension based on the workout. It will still show you the scenery for Alpe De Zwift.

For Zwift: Unzip and download the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

• Options

@matt limbert @Coach Patrick .... postponed IM Kona.... until Feb 6th.... ugh

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda I know right?! 😀😰 Good news. Bad news. How was Montana?

• Options

@matt limbert Its Sunday, the three things I learned:

1) I kind of need to let Czr find his own way along this journey... I need to train, I enjoy training, Czr wants his time off, he can. But, I really don't want to miss a day of some kind of training. Its more of a "high" during and post w/o.

2) not having a huge TSS week after week is OK. Taking the last two weeks off(sort of) is ok. I thought I would dissolve or something if I didn't get all my work outs in... I am still intact. Feel OK! so, it must be alright to step back and review what exactly are we doing going forward. and if Chattanooga doesn't happen either that's ok too, we still will be going to Kona every time they race on the big island... I feel like a groupie following (unknown) pros around Kona. Or is the pre Kona bike/run/swim expo I just love!!!!

3) I think I am going to really like my bike... I have learned so much about bike stuff putting it together day after day: Today I learned you better not cut the chain too short... It struggles to shift... dah! I can now use all 12 gears.. before I made the huge mistake of too short a chain and lost 2 gears... and it sounded horrible! still trying to fine tune it...

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@matt limbert morning!!!

just a quick update: Czr went off shooting with out me, but I have this twitchy feeling I need to fly to Texas to visit family and I will be road tripping back (driving). I might be bringing a few things home to California.

I leave tomorrow and won't be home until May 31. I plan on taking my jump rope with me for some light plyometric and my running shoes. MAYBE, just maybe a swim suit. It doesn't take up much space.

I have this feeling I need to go to Texas before we all go back to work in some form.

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Always great to hear from you. Good luck with your Texas trip. Jump rope is great answer. I'm sure you will get to crossfit while you are there + your swimming. If you decide to run. Keep it easy if you are complementing the crossfit work. The crossfit will give you a VO2 / high intensity component. Z1/Z2 or TRP running 30-60' no more. Will preserve your run durability.

Thanks for answer our survey too! If you want more help on navigating the website we can chat here more or do another phone call and talk it out. If you have a particular interest, we can point you in the general direction. There is a lot of content and it can be a bit overwhelming. 😂 I'm happy to help sort through it, in a way that works for you.

PS Glad you will get a opportunity to get some shooting in too! 😎

Thanks again for the update. Let me know, when you want to tackle the content/website stuff.

• Options

@matt limbert howdy partner! still traveling America on my road trip... I plan on being home maybe later this weekend.. I get a few runs in here and there.... IM Santa Rosa has posted NOTHING re: transferring our racing stuff.... Ill give them one more week to see about transferring to IM Chat... have you heard anything?

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Howdy! How y'all do'in? That's mighty kind and very texan of you! 😂

RE: Santa Rosa. No, we have not heard anything from IM about Santa Rosa. I checked with another friend who was planning on Santa Rosa too, he hasn't see anything either - and he has been stalking all social media.

• Options

@matt limbert

Ok i somehow found my way back to MY THREAD!!! thanks for leaving a few cookies here and there for me. SO, its official (for the minute at least) I have been transferred to race IM CHAT... I was pretty down about not doing anything this year and I planned a few more road trips over the weekends to occupy my time, but I have this feeling the race may not happen either.

I did do a FTP test on the bike and was surprised it didn't drop even one point after fooling around these last few weeks... I am able to train daily until except for a few weekend trips around America again. (my friends were jealous so I am taking them on a few trips with me) I like traveling alone but I can share the sights with them.

Sorry for the stillness (quietness) over these past few weeks

Lauren

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Ha! You will get the best of both. Travel, training, and friends. ROAD TRIP!!!! Keep that consistency up and it's always good to hear from you!

• Options

@matt limbert how's it going... I am back from galavanting around the world (covids new world...America ) I must say it is beautiful. I have put on 3-4 pounds... ugh! I have one more major trip on the fourth of July. Then I am home for the month and I will be working! BOOO! I was enjoying retirement or my "Pro athlete status" (minus the talent). My work schedule: I kicked it up to work four days a week starting july 6th. I usually only work two days a week. But I have such a back log I need to help get thru all of my patients asap. Sooooo, how do people train and work? like, do they get up early? ugh, not happy but my bank account will be. PS My pool opened too!!!!

• Options

@matt limbert oh and I got my AWA status.... what good does that do if you can't register for my favorite races... this sucks!!!! ( its hard to keep pushing when you don't believe you will race) I am in IM CHAT buttttttttt........

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 2:19AM

@Lauren Cepeda Great to hear from you. Welcome back traveler! 🚗🏔️🏜️🌄 One more trip!!!! And AWA status. Super cool. Never stand in line to register at race again! We after that we will need to start focusing on bike volume and run consistency. We don't need big miles. We don't even want big miles yet. We just need consistent miles. 30-45' for each run. If you are not feeling up for the tempo or intervals. That is okay for now, just get the time in and give us an update. IM made some really late calls on IMLP and Lubbock, so planning for worst case we won't know about IM Chatt until late Aug or early Sept. You have a high level of general fitness, so the post travel priority will be initially focused on nailing down a workout pattern that fits into your work schedule. Nothing, new to you. By the end of August you will have some really good fitness and we will know the status of IM Chatt - you can test that fitness with our DIY Tri check it out here (it is $1 entry - gotta have some skin in the game) as the back up option. It will be a good chance to put your fitness to the test. It has gained some mojo momentum, almost 50 people signed up. Thanks filling out our survey and for the update. Talk again soon!

• Options

@matt limbert

the three things i learned this week were: 1)how to download the EN workouts into Zwift 2) the tension on Zwift is not always on ERG mode so be more aware as to the workout and why things were different than before when I just used a standard workout form TR. there was a clue but I thought Zwift had got there stuff together... nope! when you can feel the road thru the trainer be very aware that shouldn't happen when ridding a pre planned workout. (kind of shame 'cause it was fun but that explains why some of the workouts were harder than I expected) 3) I think I like SOS and Sfuel plus UCan electrolyte drinks... UCan bars are yummy but they upset my stomach for day to day snacks. sticking with Sfuel bar for a snack instead of Ucan (darn, the almond chocolate was sooooooo good with the little chips in them)

other things I learned: since my bike workouts were a bit off I needed a LOT more nutrition during the ride than I had planned. I couldn't do any of them fasted... I bonked! even after taking in a gel and 100 mg caffeine. I couldn't save my workout. OK POINT taken. i got thru a few hours but not at the prescribed watts, but also due to my fat fingers hitting the campaion apps buttons. oops

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Nice work getting organized, setup, experimenting with Zwift and fueling - it so personalized so you really need to experiment a bit. So, finding the combination of bars and hydration is so key. A general starting point is 1 gram / kg of carbohydrate - with a mix of sources - fructose, malodextrin, of cluster dextrin across all sources (gels, chews, liquids). The longer the sugar chain (malodextrin & cluster dextrin) are longer term fuels, balanced with the short term fuels of simple sugars (fructose etc.) Not to get too crazy, but just something to keep in mind.

It is really hard on your body to do any intensity while fasted, you will burn through you own glycogen stores much faster. Fasted training can be really useful for getting your body more adapted to using fat as a fuel source, but the best workout to do fasted is an easier bike day or a swim. Any high intensity training will immediately tap your stored glycogen more quickly and even the quick energy of a gel + caffeine might not be enough to save you. 🤣

Remember, we after that we will need to start focusing on bike volume and run consistency. We don't need big miles. We don't even want big miles yet. We just need consistent miles. 30-45' for each run.

Thanks for the update. Always good to hear from you.

• Options

hello Mr Matt @matt limbert , so hows it going? my life has changed yet again, as you know the Chatt IM is CX... gosh, like we could not have predicted that??? DAHHHHHH.... so, until I get my plans together for my next race I wish to be placed on hold until Ocotber (?) I do have some plans for going back into crossfit training for a few months... I miss my people. ummmmm, am I in the correct thread.... oops.... maybe not.... sorry

ok here I am.... in my thread....

I am thinking of Texas IM in April 2021.... if they have it and if they allow me to sign up free from my previous canceled races.... I might just sign up for TEX IM in the october 17th 2020 and HOPE they cx it and allow me to sign up for april....

how is everybody else dealing with this?....

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda Things are super crazy and you aren't alone. What I recommend is that you go on hold through Sept...then:

• 9/28 we restart you in Run Durability as prep 4 weeks.
    • 10/26 we start our OutSeason®  (Still CF Friendly for a few weeks).
    • Finally we transition to 12 weeks of Race Prep for TX.

Does that sound like a plan?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick @matt limbert

cool ideas... ok! Ill go crossfit for awhile...

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Run and nutrition

Extra help request: Just heard about DIY Camp.(?).. The one about understanding data (?) would like more info and would like to do it in the near future Might like to see the year or training plan in a calendar’ form

Tell me more about these running goals! I'm curious to know how you're balancing the consistency of training with your innate desire to do more endurance work. It's definitely a little more different without Races on the calendar, so I'm curious to see what you're thinking.

@matt limbert Offers a great service or he can walk you through all of your data across the course of a year and help you make better sense of it. We have static resources inside the team but I'm thinking that perhaps connecting with him directly may lead you to a better understanding of your numbers on a faster timeline.

Right now we have Best Bike Camp (www.bestbikecamp.com) is the place holder for that resource...our next camp is October, so check it out!

~ Coach P

• Options

hi guys @matt limbert @Coach Patrick was looking over the best bike camp stuff and was curious to the cost? Oct might work but I am holding out for going to kona that first week, because I booked hotel and airfare early in the year for Czr and myself and am HOPING to go with out the 14 day quarantine... if we stay home I would like to participate, I think....

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda so good to hear from you! If that trip to Hawaii works out, you should totally do it. Will be pretty cool for you to experience the island, safely, and get some of that positive mojo. We could all use a little bit of the big Island right now. I always come back sunburned and yet mysteriously recharged for another year.

The best bike camp price is 399 for the four week course, which includes the performance testing, 4 online classes and the 12-week training guidance. There's an online alumni component as well, including access to the Zwift workout library, etc. If you both sign up I could discount you $50 each...just let me know and I'll try to create a code.

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 6:32PM

@Lauren Cepeda - great to talk today! Thank you so much for your time and for sharing what's been going on the last couple months. I'm happy to hear that you found a good rhythm, and that you are both healthy and forward focused. With a Ironman Texas 2021 on calendar for you in April 2021, our next objective is to get you on the right path. The option of chosen for you is a brief reentry before we start our our season plan.

• On 10/12/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020   [3  weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  2/7/2021   [  10 weeks  ]
    • **Transition Early** On 1/11/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  1/24/2021   [  1  weeks  ]
    • On 1/18/2021  Load the  EN Full Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  2/14/2021   [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 2/1/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  4/25/2021   [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 4/26/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  5/23/2021   [  4  weeks  ]

Here is that chat community I mentioned...remember you need to mute most of the groups using the navigation icons: https://links.genevachat.com/invite/970c7040-3110-4e60-afa6-de4bcf4aa9a9 Ask you for your phone number and then authenticate with a code, you will then use the app on your phone. I can let you into the women's group or I think you'll find the most value, but it's always good to have the community at your fingertips regardless.

Stay tuned for the green light from @matt limbert !

~ Coach Patrick

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda You are all set with your training blocks loaded into Final Surge

Let's do this!

• Options

Hi @matt limbert well, The inevitable has happened... I AM POSITIVE! i have the "-VID". It's not that bad... mild cold like symptoms, its the loss of taste that is soooooooo depressing. I have been self quarantine for 5 days now. No training as I am too depressed. I need to go back to work but can't until I have two negative tests. hopefully, fingers crossed, this week I'll be clean of this. There is no drive to eat due to the loss of smell. It's not like a head cold as my sinus are open, they just aren't working.

anyway I am a bit lost on the web pages... there was a page to post your sunday wrap up kind of thing....??? where is that? Or is this it?