Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Dave Legg Update: Prostrate Cancer

Wanted to give an update and a suggestion for all you men over 50 on the team and to those whom you know as I am living proof of how quickly this can come up. A little background for this year is I was training with a great group of teammates heading to Ironman St George, of course to dominate as a team. Training was going very good and up to Jan. 29 I was approaching 700 miles on the bike along with running to the program. Jan. 29 after a swim workout I slipped on ice getting out of my truck and broke my knee cap. Have a tough time sleeping until I can get to the Dr and even after with pain, sleep an hour and half or two and wake up. During this time I noticed I had to use the restroom each time. After a week or so of this I decided to go get a physical which by the way I had not done in many years so I suggest you don't miss those appointments. Perfect time, can't train and should get this looked at. It produces high PSA count, higher than even for someone who rides a lot. Get referred to urologist who takes another PSA test and it has gone up from 232 to 330 in a span of about two weeks or so. After many test over the last few weeks it has been diagnosed with metastatic prostrate cancer, stage 4 due to spreading to the bones in pelvic area, right femur, L4 and in a few ribs.

I am sending this out with the purpose to please ask you all in this age range to have your PSA levels tested. I did not feel any different prior to the knee cap breaking and it was Gods hand I believe that had this happen or I would still be chasing most of you on Zwift and be running to be prepared to race when we could start again. For me my training was on track and had just had an FTP bump, of course not as impressive as some of you.

I have loved being part of this team and still have been following you on Zwift which keeps me going. Good news is I am told I will be able to resume training as much as my body will allow. Knee cap is about ready so will be attempting to get back on the bike this week coming up. Much to live for with a very supportive wife, sons and four grandchildren. Treatable they say so racing goal is starting line CDA 2021 and of course finish however that looks. Take care and if you have any questions I could answer let me know

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Wow. So sorry to hear. Thanks for the announcement. Keep positive and KMF like it sounds like you already are. Glad it didn’t go unchecked any longer. If you need anything just ask. Some encouragement, a team ride on Zwift, ....

• Options

@Dave Legg I guess the silver lining is that training for a race is on hold anyway. CDA 2021 will be extra special. Heal fast. 🙏

• Options

Shit.

What is your treatment ?

hope to see you in CDA. But be smart about training and treatment recovery.

Ask if family doc opinion might be useful.

• Options

@Dave Legg Such horrible news. Thanks for sharing such a private part of your life.

As a male in late 50's it really hits home as it should all of us in this boat. I've watched my Dad have prostate issues from 50's on, now 83 and no cancer. Living in 55+ community there is no shortage of prostate cancer diagnosis. Late last summer I too had a very high PSA spike, visit to urologist, followed up with 2 more PSA tests one every 3 months, had the PSA number come back into its normal range. So for now it looks like an anomaly. Follow up with annual physical will not be missed.

Curious to the tests used for diagnosis?

Like Robin interested in treatment plan?

Since most Doc's seem to downplay the prostate cancer thing due to its normally very slow growth, what did the Doc say about your apparently fast growing/spreading case?

• Options

Interesting in the fact we asked the Doc about how quick this seemed to come or if this had been growing for sometime. Did not get a clear answer on that and was told lab folks just confirmed prostrate cancer and not what type of cell. So this whole process has been interesting for sure. First urologist ordered a prostrate biopsy, go into get procedure, get antibiotic shot and waiting on Doc. nurse says she is going to see where he is and comes back and says he has been called up to OR, be about 20-25 minutes. No worries take a little nap and she comes back in about 45 and says he will be up in OR for a few hours can you comeback around 2:00. Go out to Target with my son but I can barley move as my body is just a tight mess, so just shuffle way behind, hands in pockets and never near anyone. Have soup for lunch to avoid having another anemia, eat sitting in the sun while my son goes grocery shopping. Go back to get this down and temp spikes in about a minute for three different times 99.7,100.4 and 101.5, test over. Up to viral clinic for C-19/flu test which are both negative.

So new plan of attack, three days later CAT scan of abdominal area and full body bone imaging scan. A few days later I had a pelvic biopsy which was taken at the top of right pelvis in the back. I saw the scans the first time last Friday with oncologist and to be honest it was not pretty and scared the heck out my wife and I. Did not expect the severity the spread.

I did receive treatment last Friday a shot of Lupron and had been taking a pill of Cosadexfor the past two weeks which is to target my testosterone levels, to lower them to kill the cells and for the bone to regrow. Good news is my PSA came down from 330 to 150 from just two weeks of the pill. Also have a stronger pill coming which I will be taking four times a day so they are giving this thing a double whammy.

We are heading down to MD Anderson in Houston Texas which is one of the top cancer treatment center in the world on May 13. Currently being treated in Bozeman .

I thank you all for reading and your very kind and encouraging words, I don't like to lose as my career has been a baseball coach for 40 years and we will win this battle as well.

• Options

Oh Dave, I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you have the right frame of mind and I think armed with that your outcome could be good. I wish you and your family the best. Keep up updated and stay in touch so we can support you. Virtual Hugs.

• Options

Shit, Dave. Sounds like the thing may be turning in your favor but still scary. Listen to your body and get back when you can if that helps with your head space. Let us know if you get back on Zwift and fire up Discord if you do. Would like to chat. I really hope you can target CDA for 2021! We are talking about a trip through Montana to ride some this summer if this COVID things calms down a bit. Will hit you up if that happens. Keep fighting!

• Options

@Dave Legg Sending positive vibes your way.

• Options

Dave, thoughts are with you.

• Options

@Dave Legg , thanks for sharing this, so sorry to hear, but glad you are in a positive mind. Keep fighting, thinking of you.

• Options

My dad had Gleason 10 as well and is doing well 10 years now. His PSA was 4 and then he missed a year and 2 years later it was in the 120's. His care has been managed medically at Sloan Kettering by a classmate of mine who has specialized in prostate CA. She checks him out 2x per year. She decided when radiation was indicated and has trialed him on a variety of medications. He has luckily been pain free the whole time. Good luck with your treatment and recovery from your injury.

• Options

Hi Dave. I'm very sorry to hear this. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Thank you for all the details. I am nearing 60 and need to get tested.

• Options

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear this!

My dad has his prostate removed a couple years ago after having a somewhat-sudden issue come up to a cancer diagnosis. He's in great health now!

I've been getting annual physicals since my mid-30s, including PSA tests and the "finger window wiper" invasive procedure, even when it wasn't covered by my insurance, due to multiple family issues on both sides of the family. Especially after what happened with my dad, I'll be sure to continue.

I send my best wishes of luck and good medicine your way, and to your family that will no doubt be there to support you during this time!

Get well soon!

• Options

Can't thank you all enough for your support. The positive news of your family members about there trial thru prostate cancer and recovery is a huge boast mentally. The process got a little more real yesterday as my Zytiga which is a chemo pill came in it's own special bag with warning signs, kinda freajed me out.

Heading down to MD Anderson on May 10th, think I would rather have had my butt kicked at IMSG. Thanks again and please get checked out if your in the age group

• Options

Dave,

Just saw this. Good luck with your treatments. You are strong and healthy and that will really help in the long run. Your mental toughness is beyond that of non-athletes and will serve you well! I look forward to following your positive progress.

• Options

@Dave Legg , so sorry to hear this very tough news. Thank you for encouraging all of us to stay on top of those check ups! I know we are all pulling for a speedy and full recovery for you!

• Options

Hi Team, wanted to update you all on the progress of my treatments after my trip to MD Anderson in Houston. Had a great visit with my DR and came away with some comfort not only for me but also my family. At the moment we are staying with the treatment plan we are on of Lupron shot every three months and Zytiag pills 1,000mg each day until the cancer cells figure out how to beat this which could be a long time or short. When it does my DR has a plan and he not only wants to treat me but wants to cure me which I have not heard from any other DR. MD is a research center as well so with new drugs/treatments coming along all the time he feels he can cure it. Will head back in Nov. to do a prostrate biopsy so they have my cell type on hand when and if they need them.

The good news is my PSA levels have dropped considerably, 56 from test in Houston down from 150 right before I started the Zytiag pills and down from 330 at the start of this thing. He called me "the poster boy for prostrate cancer" since I have a good diet and am an athlete so keep training folks. One of the things that caught my attention was I COULD HAVE HAD THIS FOR 5-10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO PLEASE GO GET CHECKED. A lot easier to fight this thing than to start at stage 4 metastatic prostrate cancer.

My spirits are high, know that I am going to beat this thing and had my first bike ride today since I hurt my knee Jan 29. Have been walking with a little running put in there so in the injury area I am moving in the right direction. Looking to join some of the team rides on Zwift and thanks to all who give a thumbs up on strava for my recent efforts. Although they don't compare to the work you folks turn out is a mental boast just the same. Thank you for those who have read the post and have responded back, again huge boast. Love the team and cant' wait to be back all the way.

• Options

@Dave Legg You sound positive and encouraged, thumbs up!! I'm sure it's a comfort to have a Doctor that says this can be cured. Ride On. Stay strong Dave. 🛐

• Options

@Dave Legg It's so good to hear this news. I intend to be at the finish line when you cross on Sherman Ave, June, 2021, to cheer you home.

My dad died of bone mets from prostate ca @ age 80, and this has been one of my big fears ever since. So I've been getting a PSA every year or two since I was 50, and thankfully it has always been low/wnl. Sounds like the treatments are much more nuanced and sophisticated than the radiation or surgery he was offered in 1988.

• Options

This sounds good @Dave Legg. I will also be at the finish line on Sherman assuming something bad doesn't happen. Keep us posted on as you travel the road back. Dead serious I would love to use you as an excuse to come ride in MT. Let us know when you are ready. Ride on, brother!

• Options

Thank you all who have read and for your support. @Al Truscott , @Sid Wavrin I will be looking to see you both at that finish line. Sid I know you will be out in front of me but look foreword to those shout outs on the run like the 2017. When I get in some shape we can set up those dates for a Montana ride. Al I look foreword to meeting you, have followed you since I have been on the team and have to say I hope to find some of your level of fitness and success. I am sorry to hear about your father and so glad that you are getting checked@Sheila Leard yes that Dr. fired me up, spirits are high and look foreword to training again.

Had a new T shirt made: Why Not Me Ironman CDA 2021 on the front, and Beat Prostrate Cancer on the back.

Thanks team, ride on

• Options
    edited May 26, 2020 1:54PM

See you in CDA.

you’re doing the opposite of testosterone doping.

How are the side effects ?

• Options
    Robin, yes it is definitely the reverse of doping. So far side effects have been minimal with just hot flashes, feels like your in an oven. Unfortunately I get them thru the night which makes sleeping a little difficult. Just try’s now to see what my body will respond to in the way of exercise, bike, walking and some short slow running. If this knee would get back to normal I would be further along I think. Anyway just thankful for the next day and the chance to keep doing these things. Thanks for the support and I look forward to seeing you in CDA if not sooner somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Hi Dave

I am late is responding to your story. So sorry to hear your diagnosis, you now have a new journey. Let me share mine, similar but different. AT Calgary 70.3 2019 I had Urosepsis, I ran the race with 101 fever, chills myalgia, I finished last in my age 65-69. having been on podium three previous years. Turns out This was enough stress on my body to lead to heart attack 5 Sept doing indoor HIT intervals in pool and getting 3 stents in my LAD, now I am almost 70 , still trying to get fit enough to race 70.3 Washington if Covid 19 allows it. That being said will enter CDA 2021 just to get to meet you, and race with you. "if I can still get a slot", I wish you the very best, and find your story inspirational.

Blessings

Eugene Partridge

Kent, WA

• Options

Eugene,

Man that is an incredible story and can't believe you finished the race in that condition. I had seen some of those race results from Calgary and you are the man. That is scary about the stents and I pray you get that fitness back, trying to do the same. Would love to meet up with you at any race. Thanks for the encouragement and the read.

Dave

• Options
    On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 7:44 PM Dave Legg <
    teamenforums+d26611-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Dave Legg commented on Dave Legg Update: Prostrate Cancer
    >
    > Eugene,
    >
    > Man that is an incredible story and can't believe you finished the race in
    > that condition. I had seen some of those race results from Calgary and you
    > are the man. That is scary about the stents and I pray you get that fitness
    > back, trying to do the same. Would love to meet up with you at any race.
    > Thanks for the encouragement and the read.
    >
    >
    >
    > Dave
    > I am well, 3 stents & have completed 36 cardiac rehab, sessions. Having an
    > old meniscus knee tear rearing it’s ugly head, but now calmed down. My
    > next race if not canceled is IM 70.3 Sept 20. I look forward to meeting you
    > in next year.
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/285780#Comment_285780
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Hey Team, just wanted to let you know about the progress I am making both with the treatments and trying to get some fitness back. Good news a week ago Monday PSA down to 10.8 from 56 a month ago and 330 mid April. A few side effects but I can deal with them as long as we keep moving foreword. Back on the bike and so happy about that. Had two great rides with my son in Lompoc Ca will doing some family business, a crit race last week which I was only going to ride to be in a group BUT thing started and I got after it, guess competitive side of me kicked in and finish 10th. I know you told me just to ride Coach P but I will tell you when I got off I felt like I had kicked cancers A$$ for at least one day. Huge mental day. So for rest of summer working on getting fitness back and happy to be back into it some. Hope you all stay safe and have a great summer training and spending time with family.

• Options

Your competitive spirit is alive and well @Dave Legg !!! Great to see!!!

• Options

Great to hear @Dave Legg and great to see you're rides on Strava as well, long may it continue 👍️

• Options

Great news @Dave Legg, so glad to see the PSA numbers improving but i'm sure they are driven by the strong will and positive attitude you have. Hope you knee feels better and that you can regain some strength and keep training. Ride On!