Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Dave Legg Update: Prostrate Cancer

2»

Comments

• Options

Thank you @KARL BONNER and @Vincent Sivirine your support is very much appreciated and a driving force to get back to where I was or better.

• Options
    On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:17 PM Dave Legg <
    teamenforums+d26611-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Dave Legg commented on Dave Legg Update: Prostrate Cancer
    >
    > Thank you @KARL BONNER and @Vincent Sivirine your support is very much
    > appreciated and a driving force to get back to where I was or better.
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/286011#Comment_286011
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Outstanding update @Dave Legg !! You are definitely kicking caner’s a$$! Keep it up!! I am also happy to see On Strava you riding and staying active! Best of luck and skill continuing this journey!

• Options

Good to hear opposite - of - doping - man. Careful not to overdue it.

• Options

Hey Team,

Just wanted to give a short update on my progress. At the three month mark of my journey had a Facetime meeting with my oncologist on Aug. 10th. The labs came back with another good low scores: PSA 5.48 down from 7.3 and the bone markers are 333 down from 478.

Dr. thinks that the cancer has been killed with some dormant/less active cells still here and that is still why producing some PSA. Very happy with the numbers and the overall feeling of my body as I have been riding and now getting to start running with some short walk breaks. Thanks to Coach P for putting a program together to get going.

Happy to only have labs every two months now and next Dr. visit will be in Dec. Still learning how my body is responding to the treatments and the side effects of. Heat at times has been an issue so will have to take some extra detail to that during races. Also I found out that a couple of days rest is needed after getting the Lupron shot. Look foreword to each day and hope you all are well.

• Options
    On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Dave Legg <
    teamenforums+d26611-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi @Dave legg

so glad you continue to improve. I find you you story inspirational. Keep
    an eye out for my DIY on the 24th. Weather permitting.
    Gene
  • Options

Gene,

Thank you as you are an inspiration as well. Good luck, go crush it

• Options
    @Dave Legg, appreciate it. Doing DIY 2 KM swim, 80 KM cycle & 20 KM run.
    Tomorrow, starting @ 8 am. Don’t think I’ll set any land speed records, but
    the weather out here is 56 & 76, calm clear sky. My wife Betty Lou will
    Kayak Along side, she will provide bike 🚴‍♂️& 🏃 support. I will send a
    picture or two on strava.
  • Options

@Dave Legg , Thanks for the update, really good news that are continuing your upward trend, so good to see your workouts on strava getting more progressive👍️. Stay safe.

• Options
    Ditto, :)
  • Options

Good deal.

keep on plugging opposite of doping doping man. Let’s get shirts made. 😄

• Options

Hey team,

Just wanted to throw a quick six months update, had labs on Monday and the results not to bad. PSA had rose to 6.29 from 5.48 which the Dr believes that occurred due to riding my bike so we will test it again the first of Nov and see if that is the case. Supposed to stop riding about four days before the test. My bone markers went down a good amount so we are closing in on the 150 and below mark which they would like to see.

Also had a DEXA scan on Tuesday for bone density and it showed some thinning in my left femoral neck which the classified as Osteopenia with an Increased fracture risk. The spine looked good which was a relief since I had L4 compromised and a little of L5.

All in all things are good and trying to recapture fitness that I lost from about six months of activity, just keep plugging along. Great to see all the workouts the team is doing, keep it up. Take care and thanks for reading

• Options

@Dave Legg thanks for the update and great to see things continuing to trend in the right direction. One step at the time.

• Options
    Glad to hear Dave! Good vibes continuing your way!
  • Options

@Dave Legg - So glad to hear you're continuing to get better and on the road to getting your fitness back. Keep up the winning attitude!

Do you know why cycling increases PSA? I have not heard that.

• Options

Sounds like good news @Dave Legg. Keep the positive attitude and plug away. Thank you for posting the progress.

• Options
    Derek,
    I really don’t have an idea as why bike riding elevates PSA. When I was first checked my Dr said my PSA levels were high for someone even tho you ride a bike. It’s a question I should ask and I will get back to you on that. This time when I talked with the nurse about results I was disappointed because I thought it would be in the 4’s so wasn’t even thinking about that so thank you for point the question out. Thanks for reading and the encouragement. Dave

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement @Vincent Sivirine @Rory Gumina @Sid Wavrin and I will be back to FFT Sid trying to keep up with the beacon until I can't hang then ride it in. Just keep working.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2020 8:58PM

@Dave Legg

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is: Ironman CDA June 27

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is: 70.3 Washington Sept

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is: N/A

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/13/2020

• On 10/12/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020  21 [  3  weeks  ]
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  2/7/2021  98 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 2/8/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  2/21/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 2/22/2021  Load the  Bike Focus Block (6 wks)  to end on  4/4/2021  42 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 4/5/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  6/27/2021  84 [  12 weeks  ]
    • On 6/28/2021  Load the  Post Half Iron Transition Plan All Levels (2wks)  to end on  7/11/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 7/12/2021  Load the  EN Half Run Focused (12wks) to end on  9/19/2020  21 [  3  weeks  ]
    • On 8/2/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  8/29/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: 4 Full Ironman races and 10 or so 70.3. Been doing Tri since 1980

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: At this point with the treatments I am going thru my goal is to get to the start line for Ironman CDA and the finish line

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Not sure at this point, just how to see how I respond

Anything Else We Should Know?  Training is what keeps me going

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Regarding Biking and PSA: I researched this a while back when I got my PSA this summer, and found it had risen from 1.88 to 4.8 in two years. Repeat a month later was 3.6. The first test was done morning after a 3+ hour ride in the mountains, the second was after a 72 hour biking "fast". Apparently, there have been a few studies on this, which are contradictory. At least one shows a correlation between bike riding and higher PSA; others show no such relationship.

The presumed cause is anatomical - the prostate is located such that it is pressed on when sitting on a bike saddle. Along with the pudendal nerve, which leads to numbness (hence the trend to cut-out saddles) and also in some instances, infertility (?decreased local blood flow?). Other causes of elevated PSA include sitting for long periods.

NB: while a retired physician, I am NOT a urologist (quite the opposite, really), and so would defer to those with more experience/knowledge.

Like many men, I worry about this particular cancer. My father was diagnosed @ age 72 (I'm 71), and died 8 years later of bone metastases. My current PSA (done yesterday, to follow-up the funky numbers this summer, was 4.5 - which is in the"normal" range for my age, although there are many other factors to consider when trying to assess one's risk for this devilish little problem.

• Options
    Al,
    Thank you so much for the information and glad to hear your test was lower into the normal range. I am supposed to take that bike rest as well so I am looking forward to seeing if that is the case, which I certainly hope so.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Al Truscott

Thanks for the information. I too watch PSA closely with yearly physicals/blood work due to family history.

• Options

@Dave Legg, thanks for the update, good to hear thing are moving in the right direction, keep up the positive vibes 👍️

• Options
    Thank you Karl will do

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Saw you recent #. Yea! us triathletes need to watch the saddle.

Sorry we did not connect when I was At Yellowstone. the Mammoth Hot springs area. rest of park was shut down.

I have had some issues getting into the forums, turns out I just needed to change my password. Go figure..

I'm going to Penctictin full IM and 70.3 in Sept. Think I will try to do a 70.3 before Pentictin CA and Calgary early August..