Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

UltraMay Challenge is Here - Register Early and Often for Swag!

Hey folks, this May is our focus on all things Ultra. We hope you were inspired by Gabe's incredible 100 mile run on his treadmill for JDRF (here's the proof) and Peter Noyes surviving the 140.6 of Covid19Man for LA Children's Hospital. Now it's your turn.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029573/uploads/155/UltraMaySquare copy.png There was an error displaying this embed.

UltraMay 12 in 48 Challenge 5/29 to 5/31

Starting at 8pm EDT on 5/29, participants will alternate bike and run 1-hour workouts every 4 hours. By the end of the challenge, participants will have completed 12 hours of training as 6 hours of cycling and 6 hours of running.

You can do the rides and runs where you want, they just need to last an hour and start every 4 hours.

We require that workout data is posted in our invite-only StravaΒ group

And we encourage you to join us in Zwift and on Zoom and Discord. Participants will get links to all of these options so you can connect and we can make sure you aren't doing it alone!

There will be cool finisher swag, but you have to complete all the sessions to earn it. Otherwise your registration fee will go to a great non-profit.

This is meant to be equally fun and epic, and it's open to anyone out there who wants to play along.

‼️Note: We have limited this to 100 folks as Zwift MeetUps are limited to that amount.

Β«1

Comments

• Options

@Rory Gumina And @Robert Sabo Time for you to start comparing notes about how you want to tackle this thing! Let's build it together here in the forums.

• Options

@Robert Sabo ... my current UltraMay Challenge plan is below ... COVID19Man variant ... start w/tethered pool swim ... then 2hr work blocks followed by 6hrs recover ... IM style.

What are you plng Rob?

• Options

@Coach Patrick Is there a run only option?

• Options

Do you think bike run or run bike bricks are better?

• Options

@Rory Gumina thanks for posting your plan. I like what you have done here. I have copied your schedule and adjusted it for PST as follows (no swim here):

• Options
    edited May 25, 2020 10:45AM

@Chris Oubre You can TOTALLY run only. That would be in a unique bad ass category. Please tell others you are doing it as there are more than a few who could join you! Please note...that's a lot of running. 10' miles = 6 miles per hour times 12 repeats = 72 miles. So maybe you aim for 5 miles an hour with strategic walk breaks?

@Robert Sabo That is a great question. I personally think bike run is natural BUT...but but but...it would be nice to spin out my legs after a run. Like recovery. So not riding hard...think 50% to 60% of your threshold. You would be in a blob and just ride along.

In this case you would have 6 brick workouts, each with 6 hours of rest between them.

• Window #1 [8-12] = 11pm Run
    • Window #2 [12-4] = 12am Bike
    • Window #3 [4-8] = 7am Run
    • Window #4 [8-12] = 8am Bike
    • Window #5 [12-4] = 3pm Run
    • Window #6 [4-8] = 4pm Bike
    • Window #7 [8-12] = 11pm Run
    • Window #8 [12-4] = 12am Bike
    • Window #9 [4-8] = 7am Run
    • Window #10 [8-12] = 8m Bike
    • Window #11 [12-4] = 3pm Run
    • Window #12 [4-8] = 4pm Bike

If you run 7 miles in an hour (8.5mph pace), that gets you 42 miles + 120 "zwift miles" likely. Kinda tempting to try and get 50 miles in there...That's 8.33 miles per hour...7:12 minute miles. That could be super beefy.

Thoughts @tim cronk @Tim Sullivan @Gabe Peterson And others?

• Options

Ok @Coach Patrick I hear you out. Here is a modified schedule of the modified schedule. After some thought I have decided to spread the workouts a little to give the knees some rest:

• Options

Oh man..... I may have to actually think about this, I was just gonna turn up on the hour every 4hrs and go, now you've all gone and made it complicated LOL 🀣

• Options

Do It @KARL BONNER !!! ... some tantalizing endurance variations here!!!

• Options

Ok, after much deliberation and a highly productive morning at work πŸ˜‰..... here is my plan.

Im fairly sure my run will slow waaay slower than than planned but hey, gotta start somwhere πŸ˜€

• Options

@KARL BONNER i like it!!!

@Jorge Duque looking like a good plan.

who else is strategerizong!?!?

• Options

@KARL BONNER bringing a new level of complexity by adding mileage. What about elevation?

My running goal is a 50K - That should be achievable since it would require an 11:35 pace per mile. My only concern is that my longest run this year so far has been 7 miles and I am just building up the run, but even with a run/walk mix it feels very doable.

For the bike I am not sure what the plan will be as I don't want to ride only flat courses - I feel 20 mph is achievable on flat courses but they get boring pretty soon. I'm planning on doing a different route each time. I would like to get at least to 111.1 miles (YOLO) and that would require a pace of 18.52 mph. In terms of elevation somewhere around 4K ft. Here is a tentative plan allowing for flat rides on back to back workouts and hillier rides when there is a break between workouts.

• Options

@Jorge Duque .. woah, elevation, hadn't thought of that one πŸ˜€.

I like the idea of mixing up courses and I agree that I don't want to ride just flat, if anything a hill or two helps me to stretch out and reset. More things to think about πŸ‘οΈ

• Options

@Jorge Duque G*DDAMN you are organized bro. So impressed.

I am not so fixated on the speed or elevation piece but I do want to make sure that the whole thing is fun for those of us who are on Zwift. I was thinking about organizing that people can join. I could effectively tied other people from the course so it's just us? But I think that defeats the purpose.

We could just say that we're going to ride a certain course and start at a certain tIme and just chat like that?

Any thoughts on the cost benefit of being in a group to ride with him versus being in a private meet up but only to see?

@robin sarner @Allison Lee @Carl Alleyne @Rory Gumina @Chris Oubre @KARL BONNER @Robert Sabo @Tim Sullivan

• Options
    1. I like the rubber-band effect for Meet Up rides, but seems a lot of Admin to organize ... the juice may not be worth the squeeze
    2. If above does take place, would prefer not riding with just the Meet Up group (eg. not culled) ... there is no late join, so if no one else shows will be lonely ... nor anyway for others to "Ride With"
    3. Was thinking I would look for other EN UltraMay'ers when I start riding, and just Ride With ... or maybe join a Zwift ride just to have avatar-company
    4. And of course, whichever of above, then there's always Discord!!!
    5. Hoping to do most Runs IRL ... but if not, especially 3-5am(!), will follow above
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2020 8:50PM

Setting up meet ups does seem like a lot of admin. Especially since it seems like a lot of people have different starting bike times. My bike starting times will be below and I'll be on discord. I don't mind riding with others on the same course and being on discord if the times align. I'll probably do the bike run brick format but may switch it up depending on how I'm feeling.

Fri - 8pm (EST)

Sat - 4am (EST)

Sat - 12pm (EST)

Sat - 8pm (EST)

Sun - 4am (EST)

Sun - 12pm (EST)

@robin sarner@Allison Lee@Coach Patrick @Rory Gumina@Chris Oubre@KARL BONNER@Robert Sabo@Tim Sullivan

• Options
    We should do a 8pm meetup to start it all off on Friday

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Sounds like a plan to me!

• Options

So do we start each activity exactly four hours apart? Or could we do it in two hour blocks?

Run, rest for 6 hours then run two hour and repeat?

Or do we run one, rest three, repeat?

• Options
    Any combination as long as there is one hour of workout in each four hour block

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

OMG 😯... After a monumental @%~k up on time zone calculations (I did minus 4 instead of plus 4hrs πŸ™„) I have revised my plan. IF everyone REALLY wants to start together ( all depends I guess on who is biking or running first) I will go with the first plan below and start at 1am. My prefered plan is the second (below), I will then start at 4am with a run. Happy to go with the concensus re: starting together. So glad I found out now.... numpty 🀣

I think i'll do as @Rory Gumina has sugested and follow everyone I can on zwift so that I can "look for other EN UltraMay'ers when I start riding, and just Ride With ... or maybe join a Zwift ride just to have avatar-company"

• Options

Following along here. Too busy at the moment to participate. 2 years ago Heather and I did a 4 x 4 x 48. It was her idea , that she got from a woman's ultra running FB group so NO it did Not originate from Goggin. Thats run 4 miles every 4hrs for 48hrs. It was all outside from my house , 4.1 mile out and back with 350' elevation. Since it was outside and the route for each mile was fixed the time ended up being variable, the fastest lap I did was 41 minutes , most were 42'-45', all came in under 1hr except the last 2 at night which were around 75' , we walked those together because we had a drunken biker party going on along the route. I ended up with 49.1 miles with 4200' elevation gain in 10:06 hrs total over the weekend. I thought it was going to be more mentally challenging , specially the night runs, but it turned out to be a bit more physically challenging for me, however to put the mental vs. physical into context it may have had something to do with the North Face 50 miler I had run the previous weekend.

I think what you guys are going to embark on will be a bit more difficult. 12hrs is more than 10hrs. Any combo of run/bike or even solo run or bike making sure to get in 1hr into every 4hr block should be the goal. The original goal or theory was to get 48 miles of running in over 2 days, with sessions around the clock, to hit those parts of the day you are not used to training to prepare for a 100 mile that goes round the clock. I think keeping it in 1hr blocks vs. 2hr blocks that cover 2 -4hr blocks will be more difficult. Think about it you will only have 3hrs of rest inbetween each one, there is a lot of waiting and no real rest :-) Definitely inside vs. outside will minimize logistics and time, will also be a lot easier to do exactly 1hr sessions.

Good Skill to all , cant wait to watch the show.

• Options

This is the way i would do it. Does it meet the event rules?

• Options

Looks appropriately Epic @Vincent Sivirine !!! πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

• Options

I am going to follow the above from @Vincent Sivirine but bike first

• Options

why aren't we all trying to ride all the bike times together ? the posted bike times. if work schedule allows. seems like this was a big point of doing this.

and then fill in the runs wherever.

i'll probably do bike/run bricks.

so I plan on doing the bikes at the coach posted times. run. rest for six hours.

starting first bike friday. 5 pm western time. and started a bike every eight hours after that. the coach posted bike times.

I plan on riding time trial bike in zwift. and maybe in real life. and riding flat courses aiming towards maximum mileage. and thinking towards Arizona.

will join discord. and am ok with setting up the common bike rides however - join, official meetup, etc. so if the joined ride is not flat, ok.

since I am not really back to running much on my sprained ankle yet, if it starts acting up even with walking, may have to substitute more biking time instead.

• Options

i plan close to ironman power for bikes.

and maybe try to hang 10 min/mile pace for runs. any problems, drop to 15 min/mile.

• Options

OK, I'm signed up. I assume this is open to non EN members as well? I have few friends who are interested (and i hope they can see how awesome EN is and then they join)

@Robert Sabo is correct, probably best to start with bike.

• Options

ok... Finally getting to think about this. I "plan" as of right now to do all the bike on le Zwift, because there is so much less admin. I am cool with what Vincent has ^^^^. I am fine with any course. My trainer sensitivity is turned all the way down and I just plan to pedal at bucket of chicken pace.

Main thing is to be able to chat with as many as you as possible for the bike sessions and learn about things from @Jorge Duque

• Options

Also, volcanoe circuit will require lame jokes for every lap.