Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

The "What Are/Have You Read" Thread?

What are you reading or have read recently? I'll start:

Now: The Omnivore's Dilemna, based on discussions in EN. I'm _just_ into it, last night, so can't comment yet.

Recent:

• The Art of Racing in the Rain. If you're a dog lover (and who isn't?), or not, this is a great book. More cebral and less sappy than Marley and Me (I cried like a stuck pig at the end of that one) and just a great story. A dog writing a book and using car racing for an analog for life...awesome!
  • Born to Run. I liked it, thought it was a very unique way to discuss all manner of running, sociology, and anthropology related subjects.
  • FREE: the Future of a Radical Price. Listened to the audio book (free on iTunes) during my drive up and back from IMLou. Great discussion of the evolution, history, future and current biz applicability of "free" in a business model. Very powerful, especially if you are internet content guys like PnI.
  • Influence: the Psychology of Persuasion. Brian Massey gave me his copy. GREAT read, very, very eye-opening, both as a retailer and consumer.
  • Seth Godin stuff: good reads but once you get it, you get it, and do a lot of skimming looking for how-to implement type advice. Very guru, on the mountain top, not a ton of specifics but still useful, quick reads.
    • Permission Marketing
    • The Purple Cow
    • Free Prize Inside.
  • Crush It! Another great read, much more useful than the Godin stuff.

That's the short list. I'll add more later.

Lastly, Patrick turned me onto a podcast on Mixergy, with an interview of the guy behind Goodreads. I created a profile, have found some EN members over there, and it's a neat way to share your interests, find some great books, etc. Back in the day I was a readin' fool, the kid with yards and yards of bookshelves stacked with everything. Kinda cool to start getting back to that and I think Goodreads is neat way to find more books that might interest you.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I am currently reading Boyd, The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram. It is an amazing story of a relentless, brilliant, stubborn man who transformed the way fighter aircraft are procured and designed.

Recent reads:

Comeback 2.0 by Lance Armstrong. This is basically a coffee table book with a lot of great pictures and very few words. If you want to know more about Armstrong I suggest his first two books or Chasing Lance by Martin Dugard.

My Grandfather’s Son by Clarence Thomas. Thomas’ story is a great one of overcoming adversity to become a member of the U.S. Supreme Court.

I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, The Life and Dirty Times of Warren Zevon, by Crystal Zevon. Warren Zevon was a great, twisted rocker who passed away a few years back from cancer. His story and his music are memorable and terrific. I miss him.

Chasing the Hawk, by Andrew Sheehan. Sheehan tells the story of his late father, George Sheehan, who was a hero of mine. Sheehan was a running philosopher who captured the essence of running and how it truly freed him. His son has a different perspective.

The Road to Woodstock, by Michael Lang. Lang was the organizer, visionary, brains and heart behind the Woodstock Music Festival. The story of how it all came together in 1969 is fascinating.

Where Men Win Glory, by Jon Krakauer. Krakauer has written an amazing story of Pat Tillman, who gave up a successful professional football career to join the army and later died in Afghanistan. I found his story moving and very troubling.

Boone, A Biography, by Robert Morgan. As a kid I remember the Disney stories of Daniel Boone. Here is the real story of an early American hunter, settler and leader.

Luckiest Man, The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig, by Jonathan Eig.  This is the moving story of the greatest Yankee of them all.

Gold in the Water, By P.H. Mullen.  Mullen provides a detailed look into just exactly what it takes to be a world class swimmer and make the Olympic team.
  • Options

"I know you would do the same for me."

Rich -- Influence is a great read.

My current read: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig. I am only a few chapters in, but am glad this book found its way into my hands. I like thinking about the world categorized as people inclined to do their own motorcycle maintenance and people who just expect them to work. I tend to favor the former.

Recent reads: America, Day by Day.Simone de Beauvoir. I have been afraid of reading Ms. de Beauvoir for quite some time because I thought it would be like Sartre or Hegel. This book is well-written and has excellent insights on American culture and our relationship with travel and being outsiders in a world.

The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil, George Saunders. Dude's just one of the best living satirists. Check him out if you are in the mood for witty, scathing social commentary.

• Options

Current - OLIVE KITTERIDGE by Elizabeth Strout

Recent - OUTLIERS by Malcolm Gladwell and some brainless trash that I am too embarrassed to mention!

Also current - Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Wolf and Webelos Cub Scout Handbooks with my boys at night  before bed.

Next up - IOW -  in the big stack on my bedside table - THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE by David Wroblewski, Flying Changes by Sara Gruen (Loved Water for Elephants) and The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Why is it the stack of one I want to read is always so much TALLER than the ones I have read?  

• Options
    All of the Malcolm Gladwell books (Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers) are worth a read.

Free by Chris Anderson (the editor of Wired) is an amazing book. RnP seemed to get the "Free concept" well before the book came out.
  • Options

"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. Tremendously uplifting story of how a nurse and mountaineer devoted his life to building schools in rural Pakistan. He has a second book out now that I haven't read yet.

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Maybe you read it in college? Rereading it now. Can't help but notice some similarities to current situation economically.

"Adirondack Reader" by various. Great compendium collection of writings from and on the Adirondacks dating back to the time of Champlain to the present, including parts by Cooper (Last of the Mohicans), Nessmuck, etc. 

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Jane Austen and ? A pretty funny send up of the Jane Austen classic that retains 95% of the original text and inserts a variety of "zombie mayhem" scenes into the mix. Who knew that Elizabeth Bennett was trained in martial arts by a Chinese master for instance? Surprisingly clever. Was on the NYT best seller list. 

"Last Child in the Woods." Talks about the concept of nature deficit disorder and how kids don't spend enough time in free play outside. Nice thesis and well researched and supported.  Liked it because it wasn't overly pedantic (pro nature without being too tree huggery). Only criticism was that it was about half too long.  Sort of get the thesis by halfway through and the second half just keeps reinforcing without shedding more insight. Still a good read.

• Options
    Also enjoyed "Champlain's Dream" A biography of Samuel de Champlain.
  • Options

I'm sooooo glad for this thread!! I FINALLY got my Kindle this week so I'm eagerly loading books on it before heading out on vacation tomorrow!! image

This summer during my accident recovery I read a LOT, including re-reading all of Jane Austen and some Virginia Woolf. I don't know that you gents would really be into that, my husband calls them girlie books and he avoids them like the plague. Would however recommend:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - Actually aimed at a younger audience, but well written and compelling for adults to read.

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving - Don't know if it was just because I was reading this while doped up on Percoset but I really liked this. Gave it to my dad when I was done and he didn't get into it as much and almost abandoned it. So who knows.

The River Why - David James Duncan - Great philosophy in this story. One of my all time fave books. My husband just started it and loves it. (Oh and I didn't see the movie and WON'T I generally hate what movie producers do to thought provoking stories.)

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - Very well written, literary book. Consistent with my comment on The River Why the movie was HORRIBLE compared to the book. The movie really dumbed down the story. UGH! Male friends of mine who have read this have liked it a lot, too. So not necessarily a girlie book.

Rich, for an interesting motorcycle story check out Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon.

Let's keep these suggestions coming!! Always looking for good suggestions!

• Options
    O, Joanne got a Kindle a few months ago and I've been using it. I've been meaning to write a review. My reading has increased dramatically because it's so easy to get new books.
  • Options

HHMMMMM Joanne's Kindle....Rich's reading volume increases. Interesting. Maybe instead of coffee for the FTP gains I should go to the Kindle store...

OH, and let me know if you or Joanne want to discuss ebooks from the library with Kindle.

• Options

Great thread! Consider jumping onto www.goodreads.com...

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.  Yes, it's about a pedophile (yuck!), but Nabokov's portrayal of Humbert Humbert is just brilliant.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I re-read this recently. Loved in high school. Love it even more now. Such great characters and storytelling.

2+ for Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

The Last Frontiersman by James Campbell.  True story about a man and his family who live in ANWR.

• Options

Love this thread!

+3 for Atlas Shrugged. I like to think of it as a story about a lady who just wants to run her railroad.

Kitima - I am also a huge fan of Lolita. When I was an undergrad, we studied this book. Prof pointed it is not so much the story of a pedophile, but an author who is deeply, obsessively in love with the writing of his own book. Have you read Ada, or Ador or Speak, Memory? It took me three years to finish Ada, but it is seriously one of best reading experiences I've had. That book cannot be digested quickly. That reminds me, I have a copy of Pale Fire on my shelf. Oh, and Nabakov newbies, I recommend starting with Pnin. That book is a riot!

• Options
    +4 for Atlas Shrugged - it is one of my all time favorites.
    And +2 for THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE - this a terrific book and one not to be missed by dog lovers. An amazing work of fiction!
  • Options
    Call it what you want Beth, Humbert'a a perv.

Just finished Born to Run...loved it
    Shantaram - if you're interested in India
    Maximum City - if you're interested in Bombay
    Dangerous Games - if you're interested in gangsters in India
    Loved Prayer for Owen Meany but haven't read it in a long time...as long as you're reading John Irving, I would add Ciderhouse Rules and The 158 Pound Marriage
  • Options

Love this thread too.  Always looking for more good reads!

I have multiple sources.

Newspapers:  Love business news and op/ed pages of the Wall Street Journal.  For all around great reading, I love the New York Times.  There is always a great variety of very interesting stories.  For both sources, it's paper.  I've tried electronic versions, including the web, iPhone, and the Kindle.  Paper wins easily.

Audio Books.  John Stark turned me on to books on the iPhone.  Great while driving.

Just got through House of Cards; A Tale of Hubris and Wretched Excess on Wall Street by William D. Cohen. Fantastic insights into the rise and fall of Bear Sterns. Really learned a lot about the people, power, politics of the credit crisis.  The narrator was the best I've ever heard.

Also recently finished books include Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler.  Laugh out loud autobiography of a comic.  One Bullet Away, The Making of a Marine Officer by Nathaniel Fick. Great autobiography / story on what it takes to be a Marine Officer.

On the audio shelf, purchased and ready to go: The Lost City of Z, a Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, by David Grann.  Highy recommended by a family member and my wife. Also A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.  It's been on a couple of best seller lists and looks fascinating.

Real Books: We have a couple of Independent Book Stores in town and I always get great recommendations.  It means so much more when the person has actually read the book and has a vested interest in having you back again.

Currently reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.  I think everyone following along in the forums knows about this!

Looks like some of my favorites are mentioned by others:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. One of my all time great reads.

+5 for Atlas Shrugged - it is one of my all time favorites. 

And +3 for THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry -  a splendid tale of contemporary India that, in chronicling the sufferings of outcasts and innocents trying to survive in the ``State of Internal Emergency'' of the 1970s, grapples with the great question of how to live in the face of death and despair.

Water for Elephants: A Novel by Sara Gruen. Old man in a nursing home reminiscing about his days in the circus.

Shadow of the Wind by Ruiz Zafon. From an Amazon review: I'd like to say more about this superbly entertaining book but don't dare to hint any more about its plot twists. Suffice it to say that -- and here's yet another critical formula -- anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.

Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom and The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  Both great reads about what it means to live a great life as told from your death bed. Think about both of them all the time. (Mitch's other books are terrible! )

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey.  I think it's sold 100 billion copies so I most people have read it or have it on the book shelf.  A how to stay focused book.  Best of it's kind.

Almost all books by Victor Hugo.  One of my favorite all time books is Les Miserable, but Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Man Who Laughs and Ninety Three are excellent also.  

The Kindle: We purchased a Kindle about six months ago, but it gets very little use in our house.  It actually works really well, is easy to read and books are delievered in seconds, but it has been very hard to break the habit of going for a great coffee, wandering into the book store and have the owner tell you about all the great books they have just read.  Hard not to buy from them.

Not sure if this forum is limited to a certain number of characters, but I can go on forever on this topic .

More to Come!

tom

• Options

Just got 'The Nook" for Christmas. The B&N e reader. So far so good. I'll get back to you after I have more than one day. I have sarah's key on it now and also added The Art of Racing in the Rain to my wish list.. The Nook also came loaded with some classics- Dracula, pride and prejudice and little women. Looks like i'll be busy for a bit.

Love all the suggestions on the list-  this is not going to help my reading addiction of late

Read Edgar Sawtell- For most part enjoyed book, just disappointed in how it ended. What did others think of ending?

Any new books to the  list?

• Options
    I reading Atlas Shrugged. Newly added to the kindle. Goo d bok but
    I need to set aside a day in the recliner and just read.
  • Options
    Tracy - Loved Edgar Sawtelle; hated the ending. I just started K2 by Ed Viesturs - I love to read books about climbing those high peaks but am too cold-intolerant and not brave enough to try it!
  • Options

Just finished K2. I used to climb some (then sobered up) but still love reading about the various expeditions and attempts and first ascents etc., but I wondered if it would appeal to the non climbing public. Pretty popular book so I guess so. I could have done without much of Viesturs editorializing, but is very thorough description of the various expeditions. Some of the solo efforts and routes taken and tales of survival are simply beyond comprehension.

Now reading Michael Chabon's, Manhood For Amateurs and The Ascent of Money, by Niall Ferguson.

• Options

I wish I was reading all the fun things you all are reading.  After 23 years out of college and in the work force doing non public accounting, it is apparent that everyone wants a CPA certification whether it is necessary for the job or not....anyway....I'm reading CPA review course books....bleck....but I do have a good book on the side for when I finish.  It's Colleen McCullough's book, The Independence of Miss Mary Bennett.  I can't wait.....

• Options

Two best books I've read in the past year:

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, MD. Fiction, sprawling, both character and plot driven, highly intelligent, artfully constructed, and vivid portrayals of life in Ethiopia 1950-1980, and in the Bronx in the 80s.

The Millenium Trilogy, e.g. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Exotic thrillers (two are out in the US now) set in Sweden (sounds like an oxymoron, no?) There's a reason a gazillion people have read these in the past year - if you can make it past page 200 of the first volume, you'll probably end up reading the next 800 pages in less than a week. And then you might order the third from amazon.uk - the Brits have it, and we won't until July next year.

Some endurance sports related books I enjoyed this past year

Winterdance, by Gary Paulson, is a remarkable memoir by a guy from the Lower 48 who got obsessed with the Iditarod, and raced it several times. Eerie similarities to the Ironman experience.

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, by award winning Japanese novelist (but written by him in English, I believe) Haruki Murakami. The growth of a developing writer, as told through the prism of an MOP endurance runner. His description of what happens to his sense of self in the last hours of an ultramarathon is spot on for anyone who has done an IM.

Into Thick Air, a travelogue about journeying to the lowest point of each continent by bicycle. The journey, not the bike, is the star here.

Cycling’s Greatest Misadventures, edited by Erich Schweikher. Best book about cycling I have ever read. The prologue is two short little crash stories, both from triathletes, who fall in a parking lot, and in spin class (Hurricane Bob's piece from Xtri.com).

And +2 for Water for Elephants. The conceit of the book is remarkable: written by a 20-something female in the voice of a 93 y/o man remembering his life as a circus bum in the early years of the last century. She has done her research, and nails it, along with a rollicking story and eccentric characters.

Which reminds me: Special Topics in Calamity Physics, another intelligent thriller masquerading as a coming-of-age story by another 20-something feamle author, Marisha Pessl

• Options

Fantastic thread! I was just looking for a new book to read tonight that has nothing to do with R or stats or data, just trying to stay sane...

AHHH The Kindle: I got one last year for my birthday and never looked back. I love how easy it is to get the books, and the ability to search the text is wonderful. It is VERY easy to buy books, I spent almost $100 on books in November without thinking about it. I still love it though.

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card +2 - This was one of my favorites as a teenager and is still a great read.

Last Child in the Woods - Kevin I agree, I put it down after the first half, somewhere around where he sent is son to the library look up famous people that we influenced by nature. I believe wholeheartedly in his thesis, but it could be significantly briefer.

The Mistborn Series: Some of the best fantasy that I have read in years, I just went through them a second time and I am doubly impressed. The whole world is beautifully crafted. I cannot recommend this series enough. I just bought the books for my husband since he will not use my Kindle.

Bringing Nature Home: In the sprit of full disclosure, this is my advisor’s book but, that being said, if you have a garden or a yard this is a great way to think about what you plant and why it matters, not just for aesthetics but also for the food web that you are supporting.

The Beak of the Finch: Follows research on Darwin’s finches,  reads almost like a novel.

• Options

This is a great thread!  My current reading is very sophomoric as I've started a trip down memory lane to read (or re-read) book I read (or should have read) in Jr HS/HS.

Just finished "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and have started the squeal, "Restaurant at the end of the Universe". Fun scifi fantasy stuff that makes fun of society.

Before that I was reading "Life of Pi" which took some tome for me to get into but then I breezed through it faster than I wanted.

Next on the coffee table is "The Shack" about a guy who spends a weekend in the woods with God.  I have to wait for Joe to finish it first though.

After that I have "Connecting the Continents" which is about Heart's Content Newfoundland and how  the landing of the first transatlantic cable, establishment of a Cable Office, and ultimately the closing of that Cable Office impacted the small fishing village.  Not sure anyone else would want to read it- but it's family history for me.

• Options

Just finished "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and have started the squeal, "Restaurant at the end of the Universe". Fun scifi fantasy stuff that makes fun of society.

HHGTTG is my favorite 5 book trilogy of al time image First read them in HS/College and they definitely made an impression on me. You're gonna love the rest of the books. Enjoy!

• Options
    Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics Both pretty solid books that if you liked Gladwell's Outliers I'm pretty sure you'd like these two. A rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything.
    Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury a had a story about it on 60 minutes, interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    Gotta add a +3 for Water for Elephants. Absolutely loved it.

Another good dog book: Merle's door.
  • Options

Just finishing Catch 22.  Geez, that Heller fellow can write. 

• Options

Born To Run. Very inspiring and entertaining!

• Options

Just finishing up Zorba The Greek and hope to find more non-work related books to read!!!!  image  This thread surely helps!

P

• Options

I read P's Three Cups of Tea...VERY good read.

Purchased Kill BL and Freakanomics on the Kindle the other day, working through those.

I should add that I bought Atlas Shrugged on the Kindle also but just can't seem to get into it. One thing I've noticed about the Kindle is that you don't have a sense of how big/long the book is and don't know what kinda investment you're making. If you're looking at an 800 page vs 200 page on the shelf...you can make decisions about 'how much time do I want to invest in this book?" I have a feeling that AS is a big friggin' book?

Internet job = attention span of a gnat, frankly, though I'm working on it.

• Options
    R - Atlas Shrugged, is, indeed a big, friggin' book. Dagny is works really hard to just run her railroad. It takes lots of pages.

Posted By Rich Strauss on 08 Feb 2010 04:24 PM

I read P's Three Cups of Tea...VERY good read.

Purchased Kill BL and Freakanomics on the Kindle the other day, working through those.

I should add that I bought Atlas Shrugged on the Kindle also but just can't seem to get into it. One thing I've noticed about the Kindle is that you don't have a sense of how big/long the book is and don't know what kinda investment you're making. If you're looking at an 800 page vs 200 page on the shelf...you can make decisions about 'how much time do I want to invest in this book?" I have a feeling that AS is a big friggin' book?

Internet job = attention span of a gnat, frankly, though I'm working on it.