Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

The "What Are/Have You Read" Thread?

Comments

• Options
    I just finished The Big Short by Michael Lewis and next up is Tour de Lance by Bill Strickland.

I am also almost ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a Kindle - especially with the recent price drop.

I have always enjoyed collecting books but now it seems a bit silly to buy a book and then put it in a bookcase to gather dust for ever. And we are beginning to simplify and get rid of some excess stuff as well.
  • Options
    Saw a preview of a new mini-series for Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth. Picked up the book instead. Excellent read so far.
  • Options

For fun, I just finished Mark Levin's Liberty and Tyranny, and started Scott Berkun's The Myths of Innovation. 

For work, I'm going through the recent Supreme Court decisions related to criminal justice.

• Options
    Posted By Michele Cellai on 04 Jul 2010 09:01 PM

Just finished: The Ethical Assassin

Planning to start- Names My Sisters Called Me

Still reading - 2012

I do not recommend Names My Sisters Called Me

• Options

Just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. Totally engaging. I have never been into racing cars, but this story, told from the point of view of an old dog, was compelling. Highly recommended.

• Options
    I just started "Brain Training for Runners", which we've talked about here some I believe. About the 'central governor' theory. Also have Jack Daniels Running formula in the rotation. Exciting, huh?!?
  • Options

After months and months of consideration I just ordered the new Kindle (releases on August 27). 

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Read...d_i=507846 

• Options

You will love the kindle, trust me image Been doing some stupid travel recently so lots of books:

Blind Descent, about supercaving and trying to find the deepest cave in the world. These folks make us tri people look sane.

The Facebook Effect, about obviously facebook. This isn't the one that is turning into the Fincher movie (which looks _awesome_ btw) but written by the old Fortune tech writer Dave Kirkpatrick. Interesting read.

The Supreme Court by Rehnquist. Interesting more into the how more than the why. Read the nine a few months ago and hoped that this would be a good compliment to it. Very dry however (what should I expect from the chief justice I guess LOL)

Lost city of Z, very cool adventure book about the amazon. Quick and fun.

The Hunt for Zero Point, about german wwII anti-gravity technology. Don't worry I wore my tin hat the entire time to feel more at home. Very odd book, especially when the author is a respected writer (for Janes) and is talking about completely off the wall crazy stuff, oh yeah from 50 years ago that we still haven't seen...

War by Junger. Just depressing not in a bad way just describes an existence out in Afghanistan that just is terrible.

-Dave

• Options
    The Mirror Effect by Dr. Drew Pinsky.
    I was once a huge loveline fan, so pretty much anything Adam Carolla/Dr. Drew put out I'll read. It is a book about narcissism and reality TV shows. Not terribly engaging.

Cracked by Dr. Drew
    Real life tales about addiction and recovery. If you have any addicts in your life I reccomend this book.
  • Options
    I read City of Thieves a few weeks ago. Really quick read about a 17 yo boy and a Russian officer in Leningrad during WWII, when their is no food and people are eating saw dust bread. Their lives are spared, but they have to find a dozen eggs for the General's daughter's wedding cake, which takes them into some interesting scenarios.
  • Options
    Read: Priceless by Robert Wittman. Real life FBI stories from the Art Crime Unit. Interesting read and the stories are true. The first half of the book was definitely better than the second.
    Next up http://www.sudhirvenkatesh.org/books/american-project

America Project by Sudhir Venkatesh
  • Options

I read Nose Down, Eyes Up by Merrill Markoe.  This is a cute story about a man that can understand and talk to his dogs.   I looked at my own dog a little differently for a day or two after reading this book.

I also finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy.    The movie, The Road, is based on this book.   It is a postapocalyptic story about a man,  his son and survival.   There is hope and hopelessness at the same time.  

• Options
    Reading "The Bilderberg Group" by Daniel Estulin. It's about the super-secret society of leaders, industrialists, politicians, media tycoons, etc, that run the world governments.

If' you've ever seen the movie "So I married an axe murderer", it's what Charlie's dad calls 'The pentavurate' (sp?)'. Sorry, had to refer to that movie...one of my favorites!
  • Options

Been doing quite a bit of travel recently so lots of reading image

Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut. Just a great book if you are at all into NASA stuff. Hilarious, sad and completely unapologetic.

The Forgotten 500. About a rescue of 500 airmen from yugoslavia during world war II. Kinda sad since we really screwed the guy that had helped all the airmen.

Crude World. About the impact of oil discovery on countries. We finally watched Blood Diamonds the other night, and like that it depressed the hell out of me.

FDR. Decided I need to learn more about recent US history. FDR was huge  in terms of impact so about 50% through at the moment. Very interesting.

-Dave

• Options
    Wiki...been reading stuff in the Wiki....
  • Options
    Posted By Dave Boyle on 07 Oct 2010 06:27 AM

We finally watched Blood Diamonds the other night, and like that it depressed the hell out of me.

But Blood Diamond has Jennifer Connelly in it, how in the heck can SHE be depressing? She's on my top 5, BTW.

• Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 07 Oct 2010 09:05 AM
    But Blood Diamond has Jennifer Connelly in it, how in the heck can SHE be depressing? She's on my top 5, BTW.

AMEN to THAT brother!  Ever since I saw her in Labyrinth way back when.

• Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 07 Oct 2010 09:05 AM
    Posted By Dave Boyle on 07 Oct 2010 06:27 AM

We finally watched Blood Diamonds the other night, and like that it depressed the hell out of me.

That is a fantastic movie. But definitely depressing.

I'm in the middle of Never Let Me Go, the new Ishiguro. It is one of the best things I've read lately. If you've been craving good near-apocalyptic literature on teen angst and cloning, this is your book.

• Options
    Blood Diamonds...that's the reason I asked for aero-spoked bike wheels with red carbon hubs for my engagement ring instead of...you know, that piece of jewelry that may have caused some poor West African to lose his arm/leg.

I'm half-way through "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" by Tom Robbins. It's great!
  • Options

A day after my recent accident, my kids bought me an iPad (with my $), and put the Kindle reader on it. Jonathon Franzen's Freedom is the first book I'm reading on it. Half way thru, it  (the novel) lives up to its hype. Updike for the 21st century.

• Options
    Started Stephen Kings's "Under the Dome". He's BACK! Really great reading.
    I could not finish "2012".
  • Options

Since I'm able to take long lunch breaks, I've been reading a LOT lately.

I just finished "The Bilderberg Club" yesterday, so now it's onto "God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World--and Why Their Differences Matter".

www.amazon.com/God-Not-One-World---...ref=sr_1_1

• Options
    I tend to be a bit of an action junkie with most of what I read. I've read everything that Vince Flynn and Daniel Silva have written.

I hear Born to Run is a must read for any endurance athlete.
  • Options
    Posted By Michael Gasser on 12 Oct 2010 02:52 PM

Totally agree. Unfortunately, my ex-gf has my signed copy. I have no expectation to get it back, unless it's in shreds.

• Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 12 Oct 2010 03:36 PM
    Posted By Michael Gasser on 12 Oct 2010 02:52 PM

Totally agree. Unfortunately, my ex-gf has my signed copy. I have no expectation to get it back, unless it's in shreds.

That book is fantastic. My copy sat around for months because I thought it was going to be the barefoot running book. It is so much more than that.

An ex-bf has my signed copy of Dreams of My Father that I got when Barack and Michelle were on Oprah, back when he was just thinking of running for President. Yeah. Not getting that one back.

The librarian just brought me a copy of The Lazarus Project.  Aleksander Hemon is pretty amazing, so I'm looking forward to a good read. 

• Options
    I recently finished The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival, by John Vaillant. It was a terrific read and towards the end I was cheering for the tiger.
  • Options

My kids bought me an iPad for use during my recent hospitalization and current convalesence. I have the iPad Kindle app on it. My first electronic book has been Jonathon Franzen's "Freedom". I'm "90%" done (that's how it reports my progress.) He is a highly polished story teller of the contemorary midwestern american middle class. Reminds me of Sinclair Lewis crossed witht John Updike. His characters are fully realised, complex, and not always predictable, and his stories move along with efficiency. I was a fan of "Corrections"; this is a little less formally structured and stylized than that. But he is by no means a challenging, post-modern novelist, just a smooth middle of the road fictioneer.

• Options
    I somehow managed to bust the screen on my Kindle. I was in the middle of a reread of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I don't recall all the anti-aristocracy stuff from the last read, so I was really enjoying it. Just finished The Ghosts of Belfast. I'm a bit of an Irish lit guy (I LOOOOOVE Roddy Doyle), so I grabbed this one. It's about an IRA guy who is haunted by the ghosts of all the people he killed. Sort of a Shakespearean thriller. I really liked it and plan to read the sequel. I would always recommend the 2 Roddy Doyle Trilogies: The Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Snapper, and The Van)...I don't know if I've ever laughed so hard as when I read The Van...absolutely hilarious...especially if you like soccer/World Cup. The other is: A Star Called Henry; Oh, Play That Thing; and The Dead Republic. It covers 3 generations of an Irish family that starts with an IRA guy who kills people by beating them with his wooden leg...follows his son to the USA through the jazz age, and then back to Ireland as an old man where he gets held up as an aging icon of the IRA. Great characters, great comedy, and interesting historical view.
  • Options
    Finished Stephen King's "Under the Dome". If you are a fan, you will love it. And the post script he wrote ininteresting. I don't remember what's waiting at home, but I know it is 2 of the books recommended here.
  • Options

The Lazarus Project just made my list of top twenty books ever. Seriously worthy read. It even has a few pretty pictures.