Home OutSeason (December '09)

Nemo doing Dallas

Get your head out of the gutter.  I've got a business meeting from Jan 26-29 in Dallas and I'm wondering if anyone in the area would be interested in getting together for a run?  I won't bother to pack/ship the bike unless you all tell me you've got some great ride planned for the following weekend- in which case let me know and I'll arrange to stay an extra night!  I'll be stuck in meetings all day and night, so it would have to be a morning gig (unless you all convince me to extend the trip through the weekend).  

Anyway- befoe I book airfare I wanted to send out the smoke signals to see if any Longhorn ENers wanted to show this east coast gal some fun!

Comments

• What area are you going to be in? DFW is HUGE!!!
  • Posted By Scott Alexander on 07 Dec 2009 03:28 PM

What area are you going to be in? DFW is HUGE!!!

Duh, that would have been helpful huh!?  I'll be at the Hilton Anatole on 2201 Stemmons Freeway.  My understanding is it's something like 30-40 min from the airport???  I've only been to Dallas one other time- and that was just a one day business trip (in & out- didn't see much besides the insides of the cab, the meeting room, and my eyelids).

• I work about 20 min from there and live about 30.
    If something were going I would try to make it out! would love to meet some EN people.
    Right now Ive only met Dusty who introduced me to EN.
  • Yep, I know the spot. There used to be a good sports bar in the basement. LOL

Yeah, about 30mins from the airport WITHOUT traffic. So, depending on what time of the day you fly in, you'll probably have to contend with it - like we all do.

Getting a rental car or will you be shuttling/cabbing everywhere? That's not TOO far from the area where I train at, White Rock Lake (I live near there too). No, you can't swim there, you wouldn't want to with the nasty water and the water moccasins anyway, but you can bike and run there.

Some good restaurants over in that hotel area too, Pappas Steak house comes to mind.

I've met Carrie and Daniel, Tomer (if he's still around in da haus), and so far that's it from my hopeful TX sleeper cell.
  • Definately cabbing it.  It's one of those yearly kick off meetings where they bring everyone together and lock you in a room for 3 days with all your evening activities planned out.   I'm open to grabbing a cab to meet you all somewhere in the morning for an early  run/breakfast during the week.  Or- if you all want to get together Friday night or Saturday morning I might be able to swing that too- just need to arrange to stay an extra night at the hotel on my own tab.  My meetings end noon on Friday- so I could also possibly get together Fri afternoon and still make it home that night.  It's just a long travel day (3 hour drive from Raleigh Airport to home) so staying the night might make more sense.

• Sadly thatis not my friday off. But I could def do a Friday night or saturday morning and I have pretty flexible morning hours So I could get a workout and Breakfast in the week if its early enough.
  • Fri night and/or Saturday morning works well. On those days, someone (myself included) could even go over and grab you so you wouldn't have to cab it ($$$).
  • Alright folks, my logistics have been confirmed.  Based on this info, I'm gonna guess we won't have much chance to get together unless someone is interested in doing an early morning/breakfast sorta thing near the hotel where I'm staying:

Tues 1/26: Arrive 2:00pm.  Meetings start at 4:00pm and go through the evening.

Wed-Thurs 1/27-28:  Meetings start at 8:00.  Not sure about the evenings, but usually there is some dinner/entertainment thing that everyone has to participate in. 

Friday 1/29:  Meetings start at 8:00- End at 11:00- Flight back leaves at 4:00pm.

• Im sure id still be down for an early morning breakfast one of those days. Who knows when the opportunity will arise again!
  • I should have no problem meeting up for some breakfast one of those mornings. My work schedule is flexible.
  • Hi folks! I'm just giving this a little bump so we can firm up a date/time/place to meet for B-fast. I'm gonna guess that Wed/Thurs might be hard since most of you will be doing some OS workout in the AM. So how about Friday morning? I'm pretty sure I'll have to be at a meeting by 8:00 so maybe we could meet somewhere close to the hotel at 7:00 for breakfast?

Let me know- I'm really looking forward to the chance to meet some of you in person!!
  • While I know your hotel (no smartarse comments, please. LOL), I don't know a lot of specifics about the area.

Is there a breakfast spot near there we could all meet at that Friday morning? Maybe you could ask the concierge?!?
  • Mama's Daughter's Diner
    2014 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207
    (214) 742-8646

Looked up your hotel. Its supposed to be about a half mile from your hotel and has 5-10 dollar breakfasts opening at 6am.
    Sounds pretty good to me. I could call them later and find out more if you would like but I am at work now.
    Let me know.
  • Sorry cant be there. Im going to Dallas in mid Febuary. Let me know if Nemo does Montana, and Im game. Not nearly as classic as "doing Dallas" but sure to be as invigorating.

GV

• Posted By Philip Fratto on 18 Jan 2010 11:29 AM

Mama's Daughter's Diner

2014 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207

(214) 742-8646

Looked up your hotel. Its supposed to be about a half mile from your hotel and has 5-10 dollar breakfasts opening at 6am.

Sounds pretty good to me. I could call them later and find out more if you would like but I am at work now.

Let me know.

That sounds great.  The concierge mentioned something called Bread Winners- but that's 2.5 miles away.  I like the idea of somewhere I can walk to from the hotel.  

• Bread winners is a great place, but yes, many miles away for a car-less Nemo to get to.
    But, like I said earlier, I don't mind going to pick her up.
    And I'm always willing to try somewhere I've never been too, like Mama's Daughter's Diner.

The only place I know to eat near the hotel is Medieval Times, but I dont think they'll have the jousting show on at 7am in the morning. LOL

@Greg, let us know your plans in another string, aptly called "Greg does Dallas", and maybe we can regroup.
  • @ Scott: Okay, if your into that type of thing.....

• WOOO 7AM Jousting and huge turkey legs!
  • mmm Breadwinners Rocks! Nemo, I'll pick you up, take you to breaky, and return you back to the hotel if Scott doesn't already have it worked out. :-)  I've also heard good things about a place called Mothers and Daughters I wonder if its the same place. 

• Alright- let's go for something we know is a good meal! That's 3 thumbs up for Breadwinners- so I say we do that. How about if Carrie picks me up and Scott drops me off. That way you guys share the effort and I don't have to feel too guilty! Are we good for Friday at 7:00am (maybe Carrie you pick me up at 6:50)? This is gonna be fun!! Oh- and someone please bring a camera so we can take a picture of our get together!
  • sounds great to me! What date? the 29th? So excited to get to meet you!!!
  • Awesome there is going to be pics of Nemo doing Dallas

• Sounds Good to me. 2 miles one way or the other doesnt really affect me to bad seeing as im already about 27 away haha
  • @ Carrie- yes, Friday January 29. I'll PM you my cellphone so you have it just in case we have any mix-up that morning.

@Steve- Hardy har har har!
  • @Nemo, are we all good to go for next week?
  • We are set.  7:00am on Friday Jan 29 we meet at Bread Winners.  Carrie is picking me up at the hotel, and Scott is bringing me back.

BUT- What I don't know is the address for Bread Winners.  Can someone confirm that piece so we don't end up at different locations?

• I've only ever been to one location, 3301 McKinney Avenue, Dallas, which is in "uptown", right next to Primo's and across the street from Frankies.

Yes, I'm totally good with dropping you off after.
    Please confirm your timeline though, I'm afraid that if you need to be BACK at your meeting by 8am, we might not make breakfast starting at 7am.
  • Oh you are right. My meeting starts at 8:00. so you are right, we may need to meet a bit earlier.
  • I've missed this but I'll be in for breakfast friday!

Sounds fun!

Dusty

• Im good for however early you need to. Seeing as i usually workout at 5:15 ... earlier than 7 or so wont hurt me and even gets me to work earlier.