Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

New Member Mentoring - Volunteers needed

With all the new folks in the haus, joining the grizzled EN vets, I thought it might be nice if new members had an opportunity to be guided through EN during their first couple of months, easing them into all things EN.

This would not be a 'I want to go sub 11 at my IM, I need a mentor to help me do that.'  It's more someone you can turn to to show you the ropes of EN, answer questions as you start to learn all about EN.

This would complement all the current resources already available to everyone.

I ran it by the founding fathers, and got their blessing. 

If would like to volunteer to be an EN Mentor, just respond here, and RnP will set up a google doc to get the process started.

Basic outline

• 1:1 relationship
  • About 2 months
  • Contact via email/PM - phone at your discretion
  • Pay it forward - You get mentored, you offer to do it in the future

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Excellent idea, Dave. I believe I am already Jo Cobble's mentor. ;-)
  • Options

Happy to help do that.

• Options

I'll help!!!

I was mentored by  Cramer and Glynn because they live right here and are dear friends. They were my lifeline.

Carrie

• Options

I'll mentor RobertT whether he likes it or not.

• Options
    I'll bite.

Vince
  • Options

Great idea- count me in!  I'm happy to pay forward all the mentoring I've gotten from so many here.

• Options
    I brought Cheryl Scigousky into EN and helping her out, but I'm glad to help out with someone if you need more mentors.
  • Options
    Dave that is a great idea. Being a newer member I thought that something like this would be beneficial as things can tend to get quite confusing with all the technical jargon and gadgets. You do learn a lot by reading all of the posts and nosing around but 1:1 would really increase the learning curve IMO. It's could almost be like a fraternity without the hazing.
  • Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 08 Dec 2009 12:03 PM

It's could almost be like a fraternity without the hazing.

Oh No!  there will be pleanty of hazing!

• Options

sure thing! great idea. image

• Options

I'm a new member......can I have Linda or Nemo please???? Please please please......

• Options

...or Beth or Leigh...or any cowgirl chicka?  I promise you can haze me at the Chicka camp!!! I will buy mentor a drink of their choice in Madison.......I'm not above bribery....

• Options

Great idea--count me in too!

• Options
    yes count me in, would love to get to know some of the new female members! yes like the guyz too but have more in common with the gals. duh. m
  • Options

Count me in!  Super idea Dave!!

• Options

Sheryl -- you could just have all of us. Bring lots of beer.

• Options

Yes I would love to have an EN mention show me the rope on all things EN.  That's a great idea.  I agree I don't need a coaching mentor but someone who can guide me through the complex but amazing EN world. 

Ideally, someone who is training for IM Moo

Thanks.

• Options
    Great Idea - Our house ROCKS, I'm in
    Matt
  • Options

Just checking in to see if anything new?  This is a awesome idea!  Happy to help where I can so let me know if anything I can do to get rolling? 

• Options
    happy to help too if I can
  • Options
    It has helped me alot to have someone to talk to and reinforce the EN thoughts. I am lucky enough to only be a few rows away from Greg (dusty) Rhodes in our work cube farm. He introduced me to EN and has been ALOT of help throughout the first 11 weeks ive been here!
  • Options
    Glad to help too - especially any crazy Canucks that are in the house or folks training for IM Canada!
  • Options
    um, can I get a mentor?
  • Options

Hey folks,

To all who have volunteered, thank you.

Now that we have a good core to start with, we can get the process moving forward.  This will be pretty informal to start, we'll see how it goes and work out any kinks as they come up.

From the thread, I've got a list mentor volunteers, and a few members seeking mentors.

To start, I'll list the volunteers.  If you're looking for a mentor, contact someone from the list via PM.  After initial contact, you can discuss how you want to proceed, email, phone, etc.

For those looking for mentors, don't be shy.  Everyone listed below has volunteered and would be happy to help.  If I missed anyone, please post here or PM me to let me know.

Dave

Volunteers:

Dave Halligan

Beth Schwindt

Linda Patch

Carrie Chavez

Matt Sullivan

Vince Hoffart

Tavis Yeung

Bryan Reece

Kris Frazier

Matt Samojeden

Marianne Park

Kitima Boonvisudhi

Leigh Boyle

Nemo

Matt Ancona

• Options

I am happy to help out as well.

• Options
    I'm a new member and wanted to thank you for thinking of us and say this is a great idea! I'd love some help/guidance and to get to know some of my teamates!
    thanks!
  • Options

You can add me to the list of folks willing to Mentor!

• Options

Dave - I'm also on board to volunteer as a mentor.  This was a great idea!

Dominic

• Options

Looks like you are off to a great start, but count me in to help!