Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Nov OS Week 1 VDOT: Did you puke?

Since the other thread was all FTP, thought I'd start the vdot one.  I had to switch up my week, so I did my test this morning.  I have run sparingly since IMWI due to the injuries to my knees, so I was not looking forward to this test, especially since I made some big strides running last year.  So naturally, last night in preparation for this morning's test I downed too many pieces of Chicago style deep dish pizza.  But I went hard this morning, and was pleasantly rewarded with a 5k time of 22:54 for a vdot of 40.7.  And I definitely felt the pizza  so I knew I put it all out there!  My vdot last year midway through my IM plan was the same, so I'm really happy that I didn't lose much fitness. 

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else's test goes!

Comments

• Options

Didn't puke but was very, very close.  I was dry heaving at the end but I think my stomach was empty enough to keep it at that.  

I took it easy the majority of the year and so I have lost a bunch of fitness.  I was a minute off my PR at 19:11.  On the bright side, I've got lots of room to improve image

.mark.

• Options
    We're traveling this week, so I tested last Friday. First time doing one...and first time running in 20 degree temps since last winter. Burr! The WU got me through the numb period, and ended up happy with the results. Second mile was slightly slower than the first, but not by much. Last mile was the fastest. Vdot of 44.

The next 5 days I get to run in San Diego!!! Hopefully do some open water swimming as well.
  • Options
    Is the "EN approved" approach for the VDOT test to be done outside versus the treadmill? It's getting darn cold here in Northern Ohio and wasn't sure if we should try to keep weather and such consistent during the tests.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason,
    I did my vdot on the treadmill since that's where I do pretty much all of my OS training. As long as you keep it consistent that's the important thing. Also, be aware that your vdot will probably be different outside vs. treadmill (though which direction depends on the person).
  • Options

I have no idea where to post anything anymore.  I just posted my 5k to the wrong thread.

I didn't puke but got my heart rate the highest it has been in a long time and hacked up a lung and some other stuff

Copied from the other post:

Wow... I'm not sure if the running was more painful physically or seeing how slow I was going was more painful mentally.

No excusses, I just sucked today and now I know that I have to work even harder.  I gave it 100% as my heart rate was pretty high and I proceed to hack up a lung and some phlem about 10 seconds after finishing.  Didn't actually puke but caughed up a lot of crap.

5k Test:

Duration: 18:15

Work: n/a

rTSS: 30.5 (0.968)

NGP: 5:53 (273.8 m/min)

VI: n/a

Pw:HR: n/a

Pa:HR: 4.24%

Distance: 3.11 mi

Elevation Gain: 64 ft

Elevation Loss: 71 ft

Grade: -0.0 % (-7 ft)

Min Max Avg

Heart Rate: 159 196 192 bpm

Cadence: 86 105 98 rpm

Speed: 0 12.6 10.2 mph

Pace 4:45 0:00 5:54 min/mi

Altitude: 767 821 792 ft

I guess ironman training really does make you slow as I managed to lose 1:30 since may!

• Options
    I have no idea where to post anything anymore. I just posted my 5k to the wrong thread.

We should probably just have one thread per week for workouts/tests, right?

Nice effort on the run. It will come back soon enough.
  • Options

Thanks Matt, I'm sure it will.

I guess I'm getting old and relucant to change as I liked the old system (i.e. 2.0/3.0) as it was so much easier.  Now with multiple threads in different forums, groups, the data tool, twitter, facebook, and the dashboard ( I still don't get the dashboard btw), it is overwhelming and frustrating just trying to keep up.

I know RnP have their hands full and wont look at this, but my vote would be one thread per week and the data tool, thats it.

• Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 02 Nov 2010 02:40 PM
    I have no idea where to post anything anymore. I just posted my 5k to the wrong thread.

We should probably just have one thread per week for workouts/tests, right?

Nice effort on the run. It will come back soon enough.

Good point Matt and Matt!  It is very confusing.  I remember last year we had one thread for runs and one for bikes each week.  Seemed to work pretty well to me. 

To me I don't get the hiearchy of the group.  Right under the group you can create topics, but also under "General Discussion" you can create topics which this thread is under.  My question is why have the extra layer?  It's just another link to click on.

Ok, just wanted to rant a little. 

And great job on the run Matt A!  You'll have it all back soon enough.

• Options
    We can totally do the one thread per week, just saw the FTP label and didn't know if I should post my vdot results there. I'm finding the separate general discussions folder within the Nov OS folder difficult myself...for a while I didn't realize there were two FTP threads.

Mancona---old? really? don't think you can use that as an excuse yet image
  • Options
    Mancona---old? really? don't think you can use that as an excuse yet

That's right.

• Options
    I used old as an excuss for not adapting to the new forums and technology ... old was not my excuss for being slow today, there is no excuss for that just a promise that I am going to crush myself to get back into shape.
  • Options

Did my 5K TT at the local track today, brand new just finished 2 months ago.   It was sweeeet !!

I think I paced it well, was totally fried and dry heaving at the end.  Time was 18:58,   6:05 pace  Vdot of 53  Happy with the result since I have not done any speed work for about 2 months.

Looking foward to getting faster

• Options
    Did my VDOT test today on the track: 12.5 laps.

24:13 total
    Avg HR: 168
    Mile 1: 7:56
    HR: 159
    Mile 2: 7:39
    HR: 170
    Mile 3: 7:42
    HR: 175
    VDOT: 40
  • Options

I think we need at least 2 threads a week, one bike and one run and ones for each test as well.  I agree that it is a little confusing as you can I guess start threads either within the gereal discussion area or not in a folder at all.  I say lets keep it in the general discussion area.

One of my least fav things is when people post race reports in the race execution forum...but I digress...

• Options

Good point Matt and Matt!  It is very confusing.  I remember last year we had one thread for runs and one for bikes each week.  Seemed to work pretty well to me. 

To me I don't get the hiearchy of the group.  Right under the group you can create topics, but also under "General Discussion" you can create topics which this thread is under.  My question is why have the extra layer?  It's just another link to click on.

Ok, just wanted to rant a little. 

I'm actually glad to read this.  I'm new here and thought maybe it was just me.  Man, there is a lot going on here on the EN website.  I'm new to all of it and it's pretty overwhelming.  I hope to get used to it and find a regular way to post and get to know the rest of you! 

• Options
    Like Jennifer - I also did my Vdot test today. Did a 3.2 mile in the hood at 23:37. It was the fastest I've ever done it and a LTHR of 171 - didn't think I could average that and even hit a max of 189! Saw all kinds of new colors at the end! I've bought into this program and am looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Glad to see others going through the same thing!
  • Options
    I did mine Saturday at the local Monster Dash. I already posted my RR somewhere, but share the general confusion. No sense not repeating though. JUUUUUST missed finally cracking 20:00...came in at 20:05. I was sort of pissed, but I think the course was a little short, so I'll take it for now. I'm rounding up to VDOT of 50! That is my highest ever, and I'm pretty sure I'm good for a bit more...hopefully the OS will deliver.

Congrats to everyone for getting it done! We've got some fast peeps in the NovOS this year.

WHAT SAY YE PATRICK AND RICH...DID Y'ALL GIT IT DONE YET?
  • Options
    I knew my 10k race a couple weeks ago was just a bad race or was affected by bug I got after. I thought I had a sub 19 min. iin me for sure and if I pushed I called a sub 18:50. So when I finished with the 18:38 I was happy with that. Just 6 short months ago i pr'd a 5k in 17:22 and would be extremely pissed with a 18:38 but just shows you how in a short time 3 crashes (still seeing chiro for hips jacked up), cancer, and time off will bring you down. But in 8 short weeks after treatments with hard work I'm back to a respectable time (for me guys). The COMEBACK IS ON!!!

Splits went like this:

1st mile in 5:52 (a little too hot)
    2nd mile in 6:07 (slowed down a little too much)
    3rd mile in 6:00 (All that was left)
    last .1 in .38 (no real kick left at all)

Well Mancona the race is on for the 5.0 w/kg or 300watt club, and who can break 17min. is 5k. (we need motivation right??)
  • Options

I was only half interested in testing this morning.  Not been feeling great but have been running a lot.  Last hard effort was the bleeding all over myself 1:30:xx at the half in Syracuse.  Only a few miles under 6:30 since then. It was 27 degrees when I woke up to do it outside so I decided to roll over and sleep more.  When I did get up I was way pressed for time [had to take ash to the bus in 29 minutes] so decided to just run fast in the cave.  Warmed up for a half mile and then cranked the TM all the way up.  I have not done the Coggan test to calibrate it but when set at 10.0 my garmin says it is a 5:47 pace consistently.  Actually felt pretty easy for some reason this morning.  Was feeling good through 2.30 of the test when the circuit breaker tripped and the freakin thing shut off.  Scared the heck out of me.  Had to flip the breaker, the power strip and get it all back going.  Total time through the 3.1 was 18:4x but as I mentioned the pace is a little off anyhow.

Calling it 18:04 = 56

Kind of annoying but at least faster than Matt and Trent 

• Options
    Nice work Trent and Chris, you guys both killed me as I ran 17:10 in a race that was .05 long in May and 18:15 yesterday. The race is definitely on now!

Just to echo Bill's comment ... RnP how did your run tests go?
  • Options
    Did my vdot test over the weekend at a local race. The race was 5mi , so the first 1 mi I used for warm-up with some strides. Then let it go for 5k .Did a 22:10 , was slightly annoyed because I just didn't feel like I was running fast and pushing myself enough. I will live with a vdot of 44 right now , that is exactly what I had after lake placid, so sitting on my couch hasn't had to much effect. Now I just need to work on breaking that 20min mark.
  • Options

All, some damn fast peeps in this OS as expected.  I will do my best to keep up but will not come anywhere close to many of you. 

You know they often say we are at our best when faced with the pressure of adversity.  They also say you grow the most when you are sacrificing, when you are out of that comfort zone.

Plenty of adversity and reasons floating around this morning for not completing this scheduled 5K test.

Alarm went off at 5 a.m. and the last thing I wanted to do was find a track and run a 5K test in dark, 48 degrees and rain.  Not a very motivating reason for leaving the warm bed.

Got up any way, did my usual bathroom thing and drove 3 miles to a middle school track.

Was cold and raining.  Walked up to the track’s 8 foot fence and read the sign saying track was closed as I contemplated the rain and wind.

Decided to scale the fence and commenced the warm up.    After 2 laps, I had to go to the bathroom again.  My issue at this point was, “How am I going to scale that fence without crapping my pants?”  Well, did manage it.  Now I am on the other side of the fence wondering where I can find a bathroom while standing in the rain and wind.  I got a break.  Saw a cleaning lady at the door of the cafeteria who was gracious enough to allow me entrance.  During the bathroom session, I’m thinking this is a wise decision as I have now lost at least another 7 lbs which is worth another 30 secs on my time. 

Made it back to “The Fence” and scaled it again.  After 3 more WU laps I was off on my run.  The whole time I cannot see my watch and I am thinking how slow I am going due to the rain soaked shoes, wind from the North, etc., etc……I finally decided to just get it done and let it be what it is………….

Upon finishing, I coughed up my right lung then ran a couple of cool down laps………  Once I made it back to the car, I reviewed the data and was just completely surprised at the stats …….  I PR’d my test!! 

Distance

Time

Pace

0:06:34

0:06:30

0:06:41

0:06:37

0:06:33

0:00:37

0:06:10

0:20:25

• Options

Well after running 4 marathons this year this guy forgot what running hard and fast is.....5K test went OK but I know where I stand. 21:50 with a LTHR of 175 max hr was 189 with dry heaving!!! Mile 1 7:35, #2=7:15 and #3 7:00. Felt really good but still feel I could have gone a little faster. Now for some improvements. vDot 44.8 with an overall pace of 7:03. I will take it!!

• Options
    5K TT: Better than a triple espresso to get the blood pumpin'.

Went 20:50, 47.5 VDot. Legs are thrashed.
  • Options
    @Shaughn - nice work...20 minutes is going down for you and soon!!!
  • Options

Chris G.....I love calling out the peeps....you crushed me and then spit me out.......Nice work

Im curious to see where Dan Gilliatt comes in on his test!!!  Work with him on the Des Moines Fire Department and I swear he is half Gazelle and 1/2 leopard

• Options
    Posted By Chris G on 03 Nov 2010 10:07 AM

@Shaughn - nice work...20 minutes is going down for you and soon!!!

Thanks my friend, I will get it done!

• Options
    @Shaughn, agree with ChrisG, sub 20' will be upon you soon. I think I may adopt your method of not looking at the watch. I think looking at it sets off the central governor telling me to slow down. Will be testing tomorrow and it looks like rain for me as well.
  • Options
    quality job fellas. as a newbie, it's inspiring to see everyone putting in such a solid effort. it's tough to make excuses for myself after reading a post such as shaughn's!

i ran in a local 5K this past wknd and will use those results as my test for today.

time: 21:05
    split 1: 6:07
    split 2: 7:09
    split 3: 7:08
    avg pace: 6:47

vdot: 46.7

avg HR: 191
    max HR: 197

i've never been a runner, so i'm looking forward to seeing what 8 weeks worth of training will do for my numbers. looking forward to the journey ...
  • Options
    I sure wish all of my posts recently weren't of the format "Congrats guys, sure wish I could join you" but alas more of the same for me. No VDOT test for me, spent the night having fevered dreams I was at work doing earned value reports on all of my projects (for the record, best dreams ever...) before finally snapping out of it and heading to the doctor this morning for a Strep test. Positive, on antibiotics now, eventually gonna get this OS started properly. Until then, keep up the amazing work gents.