Home General Training Discussions
Options

Why is everyone so hot for GPSeses and fancy monitors in their bikes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Is it reliable to export data from the 310XT into Garmin TrainingCenter, import into PowerAgent, then export and import into WKO+?
  • Options
    Posted By Keith Buell on 11 Dec 2009 12:29 PM

Is it reliable to export data from the 310XT into Garmin TrainingCenter, import into PowerAgent, then export and import into WKO+?

Not sure what you mean by "relaible".  In the end, once the data gets into WKO, WKO just doesn't have the ability to interpret the information it received correctly.  Somehow, the 310XT is recording data slightly different that the other Garmin products and as a result WKO analyzes and displays that data incorrectly.   I don't pretend to really understand exactly what the 310XT is doing that WKO can't handle, but I also don't think adding the step of putting it in Power Agent is gonna fix anything there.

• Options

Nemo...the "smart-recording" I think is the issue with the 310xt whereas the other Garmins have 1 second recording options, which make all the difference. 

Vince

• Options
    Posted By Vince Hoffart on 11 Dec 2009 12:52 PM

Nemo...the "smart-recording" I think is the issue with the 310xt whereas the other Garmins have 1 second recording options, which make all the difference. 

Vince

I believe the primay issue with the 310XT is the smart recording will record power data every second, but other data (i.e. speed, distance, heart rate etc) is not always recorded every second).  Therefore the software on your computer has to make some assumptions for the missing data and WKO and Garmin training center do this differently.

So far with my Edge 500, everything is being recorded every second and WKO is handling it fin... however I haven't used the GPS yet as it has been below zero.  I'll try to get out this weekend and report back.

• Options

Doesn't Garmin have an open API? Does WKO? We have to have a genius programmer in the haus. Commission?

• Options
    Too funny, I just have to share this. So while we're all having this debate the latest REI catalog arrives and my hubby (who has 0 interest in power and rides his bike primarily because I ride) starts drooooooling over the "cool Garmin bike computer" that would be "really neat" to have when he's out mountain biking or for when we take another biking trip to Utah or somewhere else like that. Cracked me up!
  • Options

Matt,   Is the 500 giving the same average power in Garmin Connect and WKO?  I have found on the 310 that it is about 10-12 watts lower in WKO than what I see on the actual 310xt and in Garmin Connect.  thanks

• Options
    Posted By Mark Baumli on 11 Dec 2009 08:41 PM

Matt,   Is the 500 giving the same average power in Garmin Connect and WKO?  I have found on the 310 that it is about 10-12 watts lower in WKO than what I see on the actual 310xt and in Garmin Connect.  thanks

Three workouts so far and the numbers in Garmin Training Center and WKO match exactly.  I don't use Garmin Connect, but I can sign up and try it if needed.

Hopefully I can get outside today and get some GPS data to see if that changes things.

• Options

Since we are on the technology rant....when will we be able to "drop" our training plans into our calendare software??  That would be awesome!!

• Options

I use the Garmin to map out routes all the time.  I use BikeRouteToaster and upload directly to the device. 

While I do like heading out to explore and get lost.  Many times I either a) can't afford the time if I get lost, b) am riding with other people that would prefer not to be lost and c) find that I end up riding most of the same routes all the time.

Since I've been using the Garmin to map my rides in advance, I've discovered some really nice routes that I would not have ridden otherwise.  It is also pretty hard to find long stretches of road here, so before the Garmin, I'd end up with a 4-page cue sheet with 75 turns for a 50 mile ride.

• Options

I just posted my initial thoughts on the Garmin Edge 500 and Quarq Cinqo on my blog if anyone is interested.  Warning... it's long.

http://ironmancona.blogspot.com/