Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 9 Run Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

The town itself sits on a pretty flat shelf, out in the country where I ride and live mimics louisville or IMOO quite nicely.   I live on gravel, thursday ended up being 60 degrees lot of snow melt so I had to run on hard surfaces.  Gravel was a mess.

• Options

Just had one of my best runs of the OS so far and on very tired legs. Very cold day here but I dressed right. 13 degrees with a 0 wind chill. Ran 8 miles in 58:43 with 2x1.5 at 6:28 and 6:26 pace. 6:26 is my TP pace. I didn't run faster just felt good hitting my target. Very controlled. Also my longest run of the OS so far. Starting to think about the Cary half marathon that I just signed up for. It takes place on the last Sunday of the OS - perfect timing.

• Options

Got the run done on the station treadmill this morning at a 1% grade.  

2 mile warmup at 7:30

1 mile 6:31  Not awful but hard enough that I'm watching the time waiting for it to be over.

1 mile 8:00 (honestly I wanted to walk)

1 mile 6:31 Harder than the first one and I'm glad there's only 1 more hard mile.  

1 mile 8:00 (can I walk this one?)

1 mile 6:31 OK this one hurts and I would really like to slow down or drop the incline but I don't let myself.  

OK now I walk for 2:00 then run the remainder of the hour at an 8:30 pace.  

7.86 miles total in an hour.  

• Options

Little tired after this week and Friday. Worked last night at FD and of course up and down. Did my run this am in the dreadmill. -8 with windshield and I'm not running in that....can't afford bronchitis right now. Plan was 3x1 miles at threshold with 1 mile full recoveries. Warmed up for a mile and then hit all paces. My T-pace is 7:20. Therefore I ran 3 laps at 7:20 and then ran the last loop at 7:06. Then my E pace is 9:05...seemed like I was crawling but I know that is my recovery so I stuck with it on a 1% incline. 7.5 miles in 59 minutes. I will take it.

Mile 1-7:12

Mile 2-7:12

Mile 3-7:08

• Options
    Nice work Matt!

It's very quiet in this forum today. How is everyone else doing? I find this is whenit starts to get tough. The change to V02 work combined with new zones, the holidays and 9 weeks of cumlative fatigue is a lot to balance.

I know my legs were pretty dead this morning and I wasn't exactly looking forward to the run, but I sucked it up and got the 2 x 1.5s done at 5:52.
  • Options
    Question for running VO2max.
    My Vdot is 46 and when looking at the vdot attack point web site I see the Intervals and Repitition tabs....Well when reading Jack Daniels ruuning book it noted a significant difference in these two.

On my 400's on the intervlas they are 1:41 and under the Reps they are 1:34. To me thats is a big differnce and the 200's under the Reps they are 46 and nothing under the Interval tab. I am trying to me cautious with my runs to a point d/t my sudden flare ups with ITB and speed work is usually the problem.

My other questions is when doing the short intervals that are under two minutes the book calls for shorter recovery periods to help reach the actual VO2 max. I have been running a 200 and recovering a 200 and same for the 400's. Should I be running a 200 and only be recovering a 100 and run a 400 and recover a 200? I just want to be doing the right thing but stay injury free.

Matt- I agree I felt the fatigue today and seemed to be struggling more than usual.

Thanks gang
  • Options
    @Carl - we do our training based on Interval Pace not Repetition Pace. Therefore you should be using the Interval times (i.e. 1:41 in you example) or using the EN data tool which will tell you the pace you should hold for the 200.

As far as recovery goes, the key is simply to recover enough that you can get all of the intervals done at the right pace. This will be different for different people. Some people walk or stop, but I personally do not like to stop or walk. Ido these intervals time based and I jog the recovery for the equal time as I find that works well for me. I let me body dictate the recovery jog pace, some days it is really slow and other days it is EP or even a little faster.
  • Options

@Carl - What Matt said. I usually do equal distance recovery on these. I do sometimes stop for a few steps after each and then break into a jog. That will vary depending how I feel that day.

• Options

Matt's-

In my zones it does not give me my pace...only my zones and target heart rates, therefore I have been taking everything off that attackpoint (vdot) website. Is there a trick to getting the zone to spit out my pace

I went to the customize and felt in the tables and it spit out my pace.  Identicle to attack point website.  Thanks all

Current Numbers
    Weight 160
    BLTHR 153 RTHR 173
    FTP 187 VDot 45.6
    w/kg 2.5 Pace 6:56

Bike Zones
    Zone HR Power
    Z1 / < 70%:
    < 130

< 130

Z2 / 70-75%:
    131-138

130-140

Z3 / 80-85%:
    139-146

150-159

Z4 / 95-100%:
    147-152

178-187

Z5 / > 110%:
    > 153

> 206

Run Zones
    Zone HR Pace
    Z1/EP:
    < 147

Z2/MP:
    148-157

Z3/HMP:
    158-165

Z4/TP:
    166-172

Z5/IP:
    > 173

• Options

Good solid run today to finish the week. Hammy good, calf good, legs not too tired after yesterday's killer bike workout.

3 x 1 mile, all at 8:47 just a few seconds faster than my target.

Feeling good....I had to hold back a lot today. 

New Year's Resolution: Don't be stoopid...stick to the zones. Pigs get slaughtered. 

Best wishes,

Elly

• Options

Carl,

Is the data tool giving you a VDOT for your tests? I would post this in the Admin forum also. You should be getting your paces.

• Options
    @Carl - good questions! I was also looking at the repetition vs interval. I'm going to dial it back to the interval pace.

For today's wko, I went strictly by pace and not HR. Since this is the longest run wko to date, I was a little concerned if I would keep the Z4 pace.

2mi warmup @ 8:55
    1 mi @ Z4, 7:11
    1mi @ Z1, 8:44
    1mi @ Z4, 7:13
    1mi @Z1, 8:43
    1mi @ Z4, 7:04 - pushed it to see what was there still in the tank.
    2mi cool down @ 9:30

Felt good and looks like I might beat my last year's 10 mile race time next weekend!
  • Options
    So, I got put back in my place yesterday after flying high recently. I switched up Saturday and Sunday, to accomodate a local 5 k. I have had the 20 minute monkey on my back for a while now. I was confident I could get it done after the recent test, and didn't switch any other workouts up this week. Well, the VO2 stuff caught up to me quick this week, and my legs were a mess after Thursday's workout and I didn't spend the time stretching and recovering that I should have. I tried to treat it like another interval session and did a 2 mile warm up with a few strides. I had in my head to run an even effort and not go out to fast, my normal MO. I stuck with the plan but I just wasn't able to ever settle in to the run and relax. My legs just didn't have it to give. Ended up with a 20:32. After the initial disappointment, I have decided to take some of the frustration use it for some motivation the next few weeks as we head through these crazy workouts.
  • Options
    @ Matt A. I agree. It has defintely been quiet in the OS forum the past week. I'm defintely feeling the fatigue of the past couple of weeks. More than anything I am just craving some routine at this point. The holidays seem to have strectched out longer this year. I am looking forward to the family getting back on schedule this week with work, school and everything else. Hopefully, everyone else will get back at it on Tuesday. I really do rely on the group to help stay motivated.
  • Options
    Ran at the local track. Tons of work today. 4 sets of strides, 3 x 1 mile @ z4 with mile recovery.

Hips are feeling tight. Need to spend some time foam rolling today. By the time I was done my legs were pretty spent. I can feel the impact of the V02 work this week.

I'm ready for a day off tomorrow!

• Options

More positive feedback today that all this threshold work is paying off; got 3rd overall in the Regents Park 10K, knocking a further 30 seconds off last month's time and setting a Season's Best (36:35), only 17 seconds off my lifetime best from five years ago, back when I was a spritely under-40

http://www.chaser.me.uk/results.php?a_raceid=35

So I've already hit my initial OS power and pace targets - seems I was a bit conservative - I've now had to bump them up a bit

As long as I haven't forgotten how to swim and/or lost all my upper body/shoulder strength then we're looking good for 2011 Houston

• Options
    Sunday's run...done.

Bring on Week 10.
  • Options
    Feeling pretty beat, but still managing to get the workouts done... Today's run in the books as written. My legs are thrashed enough that I have been wondering about compression gear... never really felt the need to consider/really look into it it before, but then again never worked at this high an intensity for so long... seems liike I need to do everything I can to recover or it'll be tough to keep up with this ramping intensity (well, it is already tough... I guess I mean I'm starting to worry about hitting a wall). I have been fairly religious about stretching, but thinking about what else I need to do...
  • Options
    @Art: after an intense run session, try lying on your back with your legs up, feet resting against the wall. Also, the 'ice bath', (but it doesn't need ice in it!) - just run a bath from the cold tap only, deep enough to cover your legs; getting in is tough, but it's OK once you get used to it. If going for compression tights go for a smaller size - I use 2XU in XS size despite being 5'11" - when you take them out the box they look like they're for a small child! Try to keep them on for 4-5 hrs, overnight if you don't get too hot.
  • Options
    @Des- I did that with the compression tights, but had to stop cuz my eyes kept popping outta my head.
  • Options
    Sorry for the late post. Was doing the family thing. :-)

I had a great run today. It started out a little iffy because my legs felt like they were filled with osmium.

Did a nice little warmup and things loosened up, but still felt heavy. This was going to be a threshold run by feel I decided. Just run strong, but not pushing form or ragged breath and take what the day gave.

Well, the day kicked butt!

1.5 mi #1 was at 6:28 pace
    1.5 mi #2 was at 6:19 pace

Moreover, the legs were flywheels. Took a little bit to get them going, but they just ran so smooth. Finished and i could have done it a couple times more. Wrapped up with some easy running, and a bit of core work before picking up kids to go to the ISU basketball game. Great day.

• Options
    @ Des - much obliged... think I will try all three...at some point I need to be able to walk up the stairs without grimacing image
  • Options
    Got my run in after a 13 hour workday Sunday. I decided to just do the main set and surprise my gf stopping at her place to start our evening together sooner. image

46:14 5.97
    mile 1: 6:54
    mile 2: 6:51
    mile 3: 6:49

• Options

connect.garmin.com/activity/61921181

Sunday run complete.............