Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 12 Bike Thread

Comments

• Options
    you guys are all still getting it done...I am impressed!!!
  • Options
    The definition of "epic fail" for the 2nd bike workout of the week...

6 x 2.5'/2.5' ended up as 2 x 2' (1.22 and 1.224) and 1 x 1.5' (1.19), and that was it. I was cooked!

Finished off the hour at .782, head held low in shame.
  • Options
    @ Scott - no shame. just work. you just let it whip ya today image rest day tomorrow, go strong on Sat.
  • Options

YES! Heading out for a 10 day business trip tomorrow so I decided to go for the end of VO2 period bike test early. I paced it well and am pumped with the results. The 2.5/2.5s really helped with mental toughness for the last bit. I slammed up a gear for the last 5 minutes and held what I usually hold for the %120.

20' @ 198W; IF: 1.049

2' Easy

20' @ 209W: IF: 1.103

Old FTP: 189

New FTP: 201

WorkWorks!!!! 

• Options

Great job Elly, Congrats !!!!

• Options
    @Elly Way to rock it out. Nice job!!!
  • Options
    @ Elly - nice improvement! Way to hit it!
  • Options
    @ Elly - agreed. Great Work! really cool that you hammered home that last 5 min!
  • Options

Scott I am reading this before heading to the pain cave at 0900 with a training partner. My friend and teammate I am telling you that run yesterday really tore me down and spit me out in chunks. I started out with some right hip tightness but felt heavy and tired all over. That was a newer feeling for me. I wu for a mile and then hit it...the 800's we have been doing I have really enjoyed. I had been running them at 9 mph to hit my time so ran the 1000's at 9. I really have a hard time dialing in the speed to hit my paces but thats besides the point.....the story goes like this it HURT more than any other run so far to date. I found myslef jumping off real quick taking a deep breath, quick hip and quad stretch and back on. I had to back the pace a little and then crank it back off. After getting the main set done I cooled down for a mile and stopped. I was afraid if I went any longer, 1-I was going to have a stroke or heart attack, 2-I was going to be thrown off the back of the treadmill, 3-I was going to aggravate my friend ITB that has been flirting with me for the past few weeks....seems to show me he is there my some tightness in the right hip/piriformis region but the foam roller seems to work for awhile and 4-stop before pure exhaustion sets in and I am down for a few weeks from a sickness. I listened and stopped. Yesterday I had to foam roll several times and still noted the tightness in the right posteror hip near the iliac crest area.... 

So today we are hitting the bike at 0900....making sure I am well hydrated and some calories in me and coffee. I still feel sore all over and some tightness/soreness in the right hip. My plan is to jump on the bike wu for 10-20 minutes and if I can't get loose than call it a day and get off. Hoping to hit the goal of 225 x 5 but need to listen to the bod. I will update you.....Like they said you got it done and did well.....chalk it up and tear into this weekends bike workout.......

Elly-bro NICE WORK!!!!! I have been watching your bike and outputs...we are very close in our power outputs!!!! I am pumped for you and now looking forward to my FTP in a couple of weeks. I am also shooting for 200. Seems like I can hold the 189 currently pretty easy and find myslef climbing so I will keep my fingers crossed. I think some of it in the test is just knowing how to test and when to push and you nailed it. I will be doing the same thing for myl last set (5 min) dropping into a bigger gear and hopefully being able to push it!!!

• Options

Elly, you earned this improvement!  You've been one of the most consistent, hard working, focused guys on the team!  Congrats!

Did have doubts going into this due to fatigue this morning. I just took it one interval at a time. Last 3 VO2 intervals required some internal “Come to Jesus” moments but made it through and ended up with some solid stats. Legs felt very tired coming up the steps to the office this morning.

Disregard overall speed because I have the resistance jacked high to drive watts………….

Good luck today all!!

Goal VO2 watts = 334

Interval 1:

Duration:          2:32

Power:              197     422     337    watts

Cadence:          52       92       84       rpm

Speed:              15.8    27.8    26.7    mph

Interval 2:

Duration:          2:34

Power:              237     381     340    watts

Cadence:          64       94       86       rpm

Speed:              19.3    28       26.9    mph

Interval 3:

Duration:          2:35

Power:              299     417     345    watts

Cadence:          50       88       84       rpm

Speed:              18.3    28       27.2    mph

Interval 4:

Duration:          2:34

Power:              292     409     343    watts

Cadence:          53       88       85       rpm

Speed:              17.9    28.3    27.5    mph

Interval 5:

Power:              306     417     346    watts

Cadence:          51       88       84       rpm

Speed:              18.9    28.5    27.2    mph

Interval 6:

Power:              282     396     344    watts

Cadence:          67       90       85       rpm

Speed:              20.8    27.8    27.2    mph

Interval Z3:

Duration:          11:19

TSS:                  14 (intensity factor 0.86)

Norm Power:    239

Power:              0         274     235     watts

Cadence:          78       134     86       rpm

Speed:              0         21.4    20.1    mph

Entire workout (234 watts):

Duration:          1:00:50

TSS:                  88.8 (intensity factor 0.943)

Norm Power:    262

Distance:         20.19 mi

Min     Max    Avg

Power:              0         422     234     watts

Cadence:          39       173     85       rpm

Speed:              0         28.5    19.9    mph
  • Options
    Thanks Team Turkey for all the support!

@ Carl: Having a plan for the test really helped. I planned for 20' 195-200, 20' 200+ with a build in the last 5 minutes. Get a good rest day in before and nail it! Best wishes.
  • Options
    13 x 1:00/1:00 this morning. I cannot do the 2.5s with a cold body and an empty stomach. I can't believe I'm saying this but...when do the FTP intervals start up again? :0
  • Options
    Well Thursday's ride is in the bag....Went to the pain cave and I am not sure if satan was there or an Angel.....It took a long time for me to get warm and loose...Part of me wanted to just throw in the towel and get back at it Sunday since I have to run sat and ride sun d/t work but a voice came upon me and started singing, " Hell's bell's, You've got the jack, and dirty deeds done cheap!!!"

15 min very slow all over the place wu.
    5x 2.5/2.5....goal is 224....nailed it at 231, 241, 237, 229 easy cause I wanted to see what I could do on the 5th.....and 234
    then road for twenty minutes at .86 IF and felt okay.

Duration: 1:02:19 (1:02:48)
    Work: 521 kJ
    TSS: 84.7 (intensity factor 0.91)
    Norm Power: 170
    image......Gypsy Road Take Me Home!!!!!!
  • Options

Good numbers this morning. I'm having a hard time figuring out why I'm busting through the ceiling on these. Either I boogered the test a week ago, for whatever reason. Or, my vO2 stuff is better than my FTP work. Since I just 'tested' a week ago (had just gotten the PM up and working), I was going to keep those numbers to start the next phase of FTP work (week 14?). But, now I'm thinking I might need to test again, when everyone else does. Crap.

205 FTP

2.5' on's...257, 263, 267, 278, 278.

then 20' of Pnorm 169 and IF of .825

those numbers say I'm 'overreaching'.  my legs aren't feeling that way.  I'll have a more accurate feel for this after this weekend, I guess.

BTW...EN has redefined my 'Sweat Scale' too. I'm wringing every shirt out afterwards. Lovin' it.

Keep Grindin' Nov Peeps!

• Options
    Nice to see everyone getting it done today. Congrats Elly on the FTP boost.
    I put it off until lunchtime today. Not sure if it helped, but I hit all the intervals at 121-123% just like Tuesday, though with higher heartrates.
    18' warmup
    5 x 2:30 @ 273/273/271/273/276W (120% target is 269W), HR 164/163/164/163/167
    17'@ 181W, 88RPM, IF .81
    Total bike 60', TSS 78.5, IF .88
  • Options
    1st time hitting all the marks at 2.5's! Even got 13 mins of Z3 in there too.
    120%=269: 273, 271, 270, 272, 276
    13' @ Z3: .846
  • Options

Awesome work Elly and congrats on the well deserved increase.  For your reward all of your workouts just got ever harder

@Shaughn - our numbers are almost identical for today....

I survived, it was ugly on the 5th one and my cadence dropped way down but then I pulled it together and nailed the 6th.  All 6 2.5s were at 345 and then I did 15' at 243.  Total was one hour at .92 followed but a 20' easy run.

• Options
    Nice work Elly enjoy your new zones, I made a hard workout even harder 6 x 2.5/2.5 became 4:30/4:00/4:00/2:30
    323, 321, 319, 322
  • Options

Gill-

Damn man that is the new VO2 max....I like the 4 min ones and you nailed them...nice work....

• Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 20 Jan 2011 02:58 PM

Awesome work Elly and congrats on the well deserved increase.  For your reward all of your workouts just got ever harder

@Shaughn - our numbers are almost identical for today....

I survived, it was ugly on the 5th one and my cadence dropped way down but then I pulled it together and nailed the 6th.  All 6 2.5s were at 345 and then I did 15' at 243.  Total was one hour at .92 followed but a 20' easy run.

I so wish I could say the same for our w/kg ratios......oh and then there's your blistering vDOT also.....Either way very motivating for me and the rest of the haus to watch your consistency and hard work realized into some awesome numbers!  Keep leading.....

• Options
    These VO2 workouts have been so hard for me. The 2x20 has seemed easier than the 2.5 by 2.5. Tonight though I got over a hump. I felt strong and was very pleased. I wonder if it is working out in the afternoon. Normally I work out in the mornings at O Dark 30 and when I woke up this morning I just didn't have the energy for VO2. I am excited to see how all of this work is going to translate this summer.

117%
    117%
    116%
    116%
    116%
    119%
  • Options
    Managed to get the main set done. It was a bit of a struggle both mentally and physically today. Tried to do the 85 % stuff and only got 5 minutes. I need to figure out a way to spruce up the pain cave a little. It is getting a little old these days. Looking forward to spring.

1.23, 1.22, 1.23, 1.22, 1.22, 1.22
  • Options
    Took a while to warm-up in the pain cave/garage this morning with the cold front (in Texas that means less than 50 degrees):

15' warmup
    5 x 2.5" @ Z3, Z4, Z4, Z5, Z5 based on HR and all Z5 based on PE
    4 X 3'(2") @ Z3

Felt good overall and looking forward to a rest day!
  • Options
    Looks like a lot of folks eager for a change.... these VO2 sets are tough... I was in the 'not tonight' boat and almost went for the hot cocoa and TV option..... but then, how could I live with that....

Got to say, everyone is really rocking the numbers... some really awesome stats for today from everyone. Nice work Team!

Eventually I did jump on the bike and once I got started it went really well.

124.9% 65.4%
    130.7% 58.0%
    130.7% 55.6%
    122.0% 56.6%
    124.4% 74.6%

Followed up with 25' @ 183 (0.893)
    Total bike 1:08 @ 191 (0.93)

In the end, I am so glad I did get the work done..... good work after a bad mood start.....
  • Options
    @Elly - awesome bump. Congrats on the 200 mark, that's awesome! Hoping I can get there by the end of the OS too!

I was psyched today's 6x2.5 was better than the last. Made my 220 target on all, whereas Tuesday I was a few watts short. Then 18' @ 0.86 IF. Lovin this kool aid!
  • Options
    I felt all frisky at the beginning of this, but that pretty much ended at teh first 2.5. Tough day for me. Made the first 4 with lots of effort. Split #5 into 2x1.25. Hit #6, all 120%. Finished with 15 min just short of 85%.

Hard day.
  • Options

Was on call Tuesday and got sore from the races on the weekend after doing the Saturday brick session so today was the first day I rode. Call Tuesday night was brutal after a full day of clinic I slept from 0200 to 0220 before making my fourth trip to the ED of the night and that kid kept me busy the rest of shift. Went home and slept from 0800 to 1300 and then got some lunch and did an easy 60 min run rather than the scheduled session as I still felt like I was hit by a truck.

Cross training Hawai'i style today. Did the Saturday ride(or tried to with the VO2 porion) as I'm going to Kauai for the weekend with friends and fly out Friday afternoon. So 2X15 went well with IF 0.99, 0.97 and then was supposed to be 3X2.5. First was 1.15, second 1.02 and there wasn't a third. Then did 39" of zone 3 at IF 0.88. Other than the crit was first time I rode outside this season and it's a challenge to stay in the zones so that's going to take some practice as races don't take place on my trainer.(thank god

Then the HI-style came in as I replaced the 30 min Z3 run with about 35 min of stand up paddleboard. Saw a honu(sea turtle) and many planes taking off including a pair of F-22 Raptors. Will do the Thurs/Tues session on Friday before flying out and then run on Kauai, probably Sunday. Next weekend will be a challenge too as we go to Lanai for the weekend for resident retreat. The Four Seasons Lodge has a nice gym and there's plenty of roads for running.

Lynne

• Options
    @ Lynnette - We're getting 10" of snow today, then the temp is to drop to below zero for the weekend...... at least it will be sunny....
  • Options

Nice work all.....struggles is the name of the game with the high end stuff.

Doing my sets tonight after work. I will break them up for sure

• Options
    Juggling this week due to travel... ON tuesday tried to use the craptacular hotel statinary bike... it had watts, but a loose right pedal... I think I am going to invent a new product called Wobbly Cranks. I did one 2.5 and thought i was going to break the bike or my knee so bailed after 30 minutes of mostly spinning. Did Thurs bike this morning:

122%
    123%
    123%
    125%
    120%

My excuse for not doing any Z3 is some combination of the following: plane ride last night, 3 nights of drinks with clients (although did get a really good run in Central Park in on Wednesday), lightheadedness after the last 2.5, general pansiness.

Checking the box.