Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 14 FTP Test

Hey I get a turn at starting the weekly thread.. and a test thread at that! 

New pair of Shimano TR31's on my feet - first time with no socks and felt great!  On the bike for a 10 minute warm-up and hit the 'go' button at exactly 12:00 noon...... and I nailed it! 

Was gunnng for 215 and drew a 214..... close enough for me.... round it up and call it good!  Gives me a 3.0 W/Kg .... ain't that awesome!!

OK Gang... lets see what ya'll can do!!

Week 14 FTP Test:

Duration:   42:04

Work:       533 kJ

TSS:        76.1 (intensity factor 1.042)

Norm Power: 214

VI:         1.01

Pw:HR:         1.03%

Pa:HR:         2.82%

Distance:   11.296 mi

Looking at the numbers I see a VI of 1 for both 20's - gets me thinking I started where I needed to be and was able to hold tight to the number...... Steven is pleased with the result!

Comments

• Options
    @Steve: Way to go! Teeing up the same shortly...
  • Options

Nice work! Thanks for getting the party started.

• Options
    My somewhat forced three days off had me feling pretty good today and since my Monday is looking grim scheduling wise I tested today as well. AS frickin' painful as it is the VO2 stuff is working... I was worried becuase I haven't been able to get all ofthe VO2 stuff done and missed a few totally to boot... but I think it may just be that I am pushing just as hard as I possibly can without hurting myself... jsut not progressed enough to be able to handle all ofth workouts as written. Pretty pumped about the test resultsand my progress thus far. 227w in beginning, 269w in week 8 test and 285w this morning:

1X20: 283w
    1X2: 165w
    1X20: 293w

1X42: 285w (NP)
  • Options
    Posted By Art Zaske on 29 Jan 2011 03:08 PM

My somewhat forced three days off had me feling pretty good today and since my Monday is looking grim scheduling wise I tested today as well. AS frickin' painful as it is the VO2 stuff is working... I was worried becuase I haven't been able to get all ofthe VO2 stuff done and missed a few totally to boot... but I think it may just be that I am pushing just as hard as I possibly can without hurting myself... jsut not progressed enough to be able to handle all ofth workouts as written. Pretty pumped about the test resultsand my progress thus far. 227w in beginning, 269w in week 8 test and 285w this morning:

1X20: 283w

1X2: 165w

1X20: 293w

1X42: 285w (NP)

HOLY SMOKES!!!!  Were the tires gooey from melting....NICE WORK....I am getting super pumped and like Simmons said earlier in the week....I will be like a caged rat come Monday morning....or something close to that.....Eating well and hydrating tomorrow, stretching, and doing a lot of nothing...to bed early for I have to test at 0430.   Again very nice numbers....You are the master MITOCHONDRIA>>>>PUMPING OUT THE ATP 

• Options
    @Steve - Nice work!!!
    @Art - Might want to re-evauluate your End OS FTP Goal. You've already demolished it! Sweet!

Hopefully this is the start of MANY NOS FTP bumps!
  • Options

Lots of fun watching the NovOS crank it out for the FTP test! 

@Steve: Super job and congrats on breaking the 3.0 W/Kg barrier!

@Art: Zowie! That makes a gain of almost 60W on the OS so far!

Way to bring it guys! 

• Options
    Y'all are getting me pumped up. Don't think I can wait til tomorrow. I'm gonna rip it tonight, Pain Cave, NFL Pro Bowl on, AC/DC, Linkin Park, and friends blasting in the earbuds.....
  • Options
    I am a week behind, so next Monday (Feb 7) I will be doing my test.
  • Options
    Nice motivation from all so far for my test in the morning. Although I've missed a ton of WORK this past section of the OS I'm vowing to not go down in watts from the last test even though only back at it for the last week. Riding on all your VIBES!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE !!!
  • Options
    Crap. No improvement here. Hard effort, I swear.

thoughts....
    Little recovery from a pretty hard ride yesterday?
    Pnorm for yesterday's hilly 2.5 hr ride was close to 220, IF 1.06 and VI 1.2, and I can't pull off anything higher than a 206 for 40' on the trainer?
    Last test was only 3 weeks ago? (had just picked up the PM in the middle of the vO2 block)
    Not sure what's going on. No prob.

I'm not jumping. You don't have to talk me down.

gonna be a good year, learning a ton.
  • Options

@Chris , if you rode 2.5 hrs at 1.06 , you'ver just established a new FTP on that ride alone. It would be hard, near impossible, to back that up with a solid test on 24hrs rest. I would at a miniumium swag the FTP up to your NP from yesterdays ride. Most likely its much higher butr the whole outdoor to indoor FTP/Watts might kill you if you bump it up even more.

My power jack on my laptop is loose, so I dropped it off for surgery but I managed to get the test done before taking it to the PC hospital.

New FTP is 268 and I'm sitting at 3.92 watts per KG right now. I'm starting operation 10 for 10. I need 10 more watts (actually 12, but its sounds cooler) and 10 less lbs for my IMOO goal.  10 / 10 Lets get it done.

• Options
    @ Chris... Hayes is totally right. By definition, FTP is about what you could hold with a gun to your head for an hour. So if you held 1.06 for 2.5 hours, that tells you something right there!!!

While he's also right about the recovery issue (i.e, that you were trashed when you tried to do the test), what you want to do now is SWAG an FTP out of the 2.5 hour ride.

If I were in your position, my FTP guess - depending on how spent I felt at the end of the 2.5 hour effort - would be in the neighborhood of 10% above 220 W, e.g., ~ 240 W.

• Options
    @ Hayes & William - I'm thinking along these lines, too. But, I don't want to 'give' myself any free results. That Pnorm for that longer ride correlates pretty well with the %delta of outside/inside that I've been hearing about. So, to me, the next variable I'm looking at is the duration of effort. 2.5 hrs vs 42 minutes. Do you think this allows me to fudge my FTP up a few notches based on that?

So, Pnorm of 220 is close to the delta. But, the ride was much longer. @William, that 10% push (to 240) seems a little high to me ( that's relative cuz I know nothing about this ). I might split the difference and go 225 to 230. But, damn,.....today's test on the trainer only gave 206....seems like a big difference.

All I want is to be in the 'right ball park' with this. I will do the work, hit the intervals, etc, but I want to be hitting the right systems that are targeted for the workout. That's where the growth comes from, I want to choose this baseline, and if it's not the right baseline, then what?....

HA.... Why am I feeling guilty for even discussing this?!

Don't take any of this the wrong way, I love this stuff, keepin' me on my toes, and I'm working my a$$ off! Fun stuff when you look at the big picture!

good luck to all on the test tomorrow....CRUSH IT!

• Options
    @ Chris-- I think when William was setting you at 240 watts it was for an outdoor FTP. I'd stick with the 220 indoor and see how that feels
  • Options
    @ Keith, and everyone else who chipped in..... That makes sense. I'll buy into those numbers.

I'll use these for the next block and we'll see what happens.

Now, enough about me image ..... You guys go have a killer test!
  • Options

I thought I paced the test well, after seeing the 2   20's individually I thought I was going to hit my test goal, but after looking at the 42' combined I was a little surprised to see my NP fall short of what I wanted.

NP at week 8 was 254w.   Today my 1st 20' was  255w ( right where I was shooting for) the 2nd 20'  was 266w  ( again what I was hoping for)   I was hoping to hit an NP of 260w but fell short and only reached 257w  yes a gain but have to admit I am a little disapointed.  Indoor W/Kg = 3.75

In hindsight I guess I rode a little to conservative on the 1st 20', considering the last 3' of the second 20' I avgeraged 283w.   After a year and a half of doing these tests I'm still learning how to get it right.

I'm already anticipating pushing this next block hard and being more prepared for the next test.  

• Options
    Nice work everyone. I tested last weekend so I doubt I will test again this week unless I get a sudden urge to suffer for 42 minutes. I was able to get 5 more watts and am up to 290, my highest FTP ever.

I can't wait to see all the posts tomorrow morning after you guys crush it.
  • Options
    Great work all!

@Art that's crazy 60watts since OS started? That's just nuts. I know whose wheel I will be chasing in CDA.
    @Steve, congrats on passing 3.0 w/kg.
    @Hayes, solid as always. Hope you reach your 10 for 10.
    @Chris, it's totally an indoor/outdoor plus recovery issue. And you aren't giving yourself "free results", as you will find out soon enough if they are real or not.
    @Matt, 290w, just wow. I think that beer I forced on you back in November is the reason for this. Seriously, you're an animal.

So excited for tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Chris... yes, I meant 220 W under those conditions, i.e., outside. You have to gauge the inside/outside difference for yourself.

Very roughly speaking there is a 5% falloff for a factor of two in length. Plus, you said that you were tired, but you didn't say you were going to die at the end...I thus was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you COULD have gone a bit harder, plus it was about triple the time that we spend in our 42 minute tests.

Like I said, it was a SWAG. You have earned a higher number...you just don't know exactly what it is. :-)
  • Options
    Well getting up at 0315 drinking coffee and sipping a sugar free double caffeine rockstar on the test helped me nail it along with a lot of mental battling......New FTP is 205 up from 187 (18 watts). When I started it was 170,,,,,That is a 35 Watt improvement since 11/1/10image

Work: 506 kJ
    TSS: 83.8 (intensity factor 1.094)
    Norm Power: 205
    VI: 1.02
    Pw:HR: 0.25%
    Pa:HR: 4.5%
    Distance: 13.242 mi
    Elevation Gain: 0 ft
    Elevation Loss: 0 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (4 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 352 201 watts
    Heart Rate: 134 177 166 bpm
    Cadence: 37 144 82 rpm
    Speed: 5.5 22.3 18.9 mph
    Pace 2:41 10:51 3:11 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 12 7 lb-in
    Altitude: 635 647 640 ft
    Crank Torque: 0 374 208 lb-in
    Temperature: 71.6 75.2 73.7 Fahrenheit

SWAEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Will do the run later at the FD.......Makes my day!!!
  • Options
    Great work everyone! Looking forward to stopping back tonight to see the results from those of you testing today.

Another tough night's sleep (up at 3:30 am and unable to fall back asleep) so wasn't sure what to expect. New FTP = 289 (3 w/kg). All time high. Up from 278 at last test. I'll take it although anticipated it would be a touch higher based on numbers I was seeing on CT while riding. 1st 20' = 290, 2nd 20' = 293. Perhaps had a little more left in the tank. At some point I'll get this testing thing down. Time to get serious about my body comp and bring the w/kg up more. Seeing Rich's Heads/Tails goal for me (295) in reach by O/S end.

• Options
    Test 1 DONE!! (I think it was the longest 42' I can ever remember) I would say with the effort I put forth I over acheived while trying to chase my old Number from last test. Just too much time off in the last 6 weeks (maybe got in 1/2 or less of the work) but still pulled out a Pnorm of 272 watts only down 3 watts from the last test but did gain 3lbs. so up to 142lbs. but I think that still puts me over the 4.0 w/kg mark. I'll take it and move on!!

Great job everyone and keep it up!!
  • Options
    That was hard! First 20 minutes were tough and the second required a lot of self talk! Nothing left in the tank after that. Will have to do the run later today. But got to 160 watts this time as an average - started at 135 at the beginning of November - so very happy with that. Got myself to 3 watts/kg. Maybe my bike won't suck quite so much this year!

Good luck everybody!

• Options
    In week 8 I had just gotten back from Mexico and was well rested for that test. I bumped up 6% at that time and then never even sniffed a set near 100% for the next 6 weeks. Week 1 was 270, week 8 was 286.

On Saturday at the expo with Coach P in attendance I was part of an 8-man Time Trial. Each rider did 30 minutes. It was hot with too little moving air despite a few fans, but the motivation was there as last year my team was 2nd place and we really wanted to take back 1st place.

I was not exactly sure if I'd be gaining anything this time around. The Vo2 stuff has been pretty tough on my legs and even with a somewhat easier week prior to the TT, my legs were still not 100%. But the motivation to race was there and I was on a bike right next to the rival team IS Corp.

Anyway, because this was a 30min TT I wasn't sure on pacing, so I decided to stick myself right at 285 and see how I held up. And that is exactly what I did. In fact, there was little to no deviation from that point. So...it wasn't a gain. But based on my rides prior to this I wasn't expecting a gain as the vo2 shredded my legs. In fact on the saturday rides where we did do some FTP work I was never able to get near 100%. I do however expect big gains from the next 6 weeks or so!! I typically respond well to the FTP work.

As I told coach P after the ride...to hell with Vo2!!!!

My team ended up taking 1st place.
  • Options
    Great job everyone! I look forward to seeing Team NOS smacking down the results today!

My new FTP is 232W (3.5 W/kg), up 8W from the week 8 test. Not a huge improvement but I sure don't feel like I could have done much more, and the 174 HR I hit during the last 5' of the second interval confirms it - I never see HR's that high on the bike. I feel good about keeping the power up during the second interval so it matched the first. The last 10' of the test was actually the strongest, at NP 237W.
    Full 22' warmup: 10', 3 x 30"(30") spin-ups, 3 x 2'(1') Z3
    1st 20': NP 234W, VI 1, cadence 87, HR 166
    2' rest: 82W, HR 145
    2nd 20': NP 234W, VI 1, cadence 88, HR 170 (up to 174 by the last 5')
    42' test: NP 232W
    Total bike 64' TSS 95.6
    Brick run on treadmill 9' Z2 8.5MPH, 2' 6MPH, 9' Z3 8.9MPH
  • Options
    It seems I hit a plateau: My FTP is still 264: No improvement: I wonder if I took it out too hard:
    20 min at: 271
    2 min at 116
    20 min at 264

NP: 264:

I struggled through about Minutes 5-15 of the second interval:

I did push the VO2 workout this past Saturday and was very tired. HR was 1 beat lower than last test. The other variable was the time of day. I seem to be able to push it better in the afternoon. My test stared at about 5:30 this morning. Last test was over Christmas break so I went later in the day.

I shouldn't complain: I started the OS with a FTP of 216 so getting to 264 is still quite an accomplishment.

Jon
  • Options
    Nice work all around. I am in Atlanta so no testing for me today. I did run twice, does that count for anything? Had to go for lunch time run at it is 55 degrees here and I doubt i will be running outside at home in shorts for a couple of months.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Well that was a huge FAIL. The warm up went fine and I was really thinking that I was going to have a nice jump. I went out a little hot the first 20' and by 17' I knew I made a mistake. 6' into #2 and I died. I tried to recover after 2' and I just couldn't pull it off. Oh well I'm thinking retest Sat depending on how Thurs goes.

I did the run after with Riley.
  • Options

Hi all.

Wow was today's test tough.....  I think I have a cold coming on and this weekend my legs really were feeling the hurt from the past weeks of "raising my ceiling."  But, I sucked it up and got 'er done.

• 20'  #1 - 230 watts (probably went out too strong)
    • 20'  #2 - 221 watts (you can tell I was hurting)
    • New FTP of 223 watts

That's an improvement of 12 watts over my previous FTP of 211 watts and a total improvement of 37 watts over my initial FTP of 186.

Very happy overall and looking forward to the rest of the outseason!

• Options

After my disappointing gain of only 5 watts from test 1 to test 2, I finally made a more significant gain of 12 this time.  Woo-hoo!

November 1- 289

December 20- 294

January 31- 306 giving me 3.80w/kg  YES!!

The general advice here was to go out at my old FTP for the first 20, then bump it up from there.  I decided to go out at 300 for the first 20, did the rest period, then shifted down one cog and tried to maintain the same cadence as the first 20.  

First 20'- 300

Rest 2'- 192

Second 20'- 318

I think I may have left a little on the table, but I am really excited nonetheless.  Big thanks to my 2 and 4 year old boys who were sufficiently mesmerized by Toy Story 3 while I got it done, and also to the awesome playlist I made which kept me rocking the whole time! 

VO2 work WORKS!!!