Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 14 FTP Test

Comments

• Options
    Great job everybody definitely inspiring to see everyone's huge gains. My test went extremely well. I didn't make any huge gains but, I don't think I could have executed a better test as I had nothing left when I was done and ended up flopped in a chair for a few minutes afterward.
    I am always happy to see + numbers
    New FTP 272 up from 267.
    First 20 268
    2' rest 169
    Last 20 281

FTP Test:
    Duration: 42:06 (42:09)
    Work: 681 kJ
    TSS: 72.7 (intensity factor 1.018)
    Norm Power: 272
    VI: 1.01
    Pw:HR: -1.16%
    Pa:HR: 2.31%
    Distance: 18.898 mi
    Elevation Gain: 10 ft
    Elevation Loss: 0 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (18 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 375 270 watts
    Heart Rate: 144 175 168 bpm
    Cadence: 52 134 85 rpm
    Speed: 10.1 28.7 26.9 mph
    Pace 2:05 5:55 2:14 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 12 7 lb-in
    Altitude: 850 869 859 ft
    Crank Torque: 0 466 266 lb-in
    Temperature: 51.8 64.4 57.8 Fahrenheit

• Options

I had a decent, but kind of disappointing, test. Wife is flying today and was traveling on snow/icy road duing my test, so I had to stop for ~a minute in the second 20 and then go back and do some surgery to my data and round down just a smidge. In the midst of that second 20 I felt like there was nothing more to give, but the disappointing thing was that after a shower, I felt like I could get back on the bike and do some more. I had kind of hoped for a 10 W bump, but 'twere not to be.

Will have to do my run later.

Bottom line: new result is 255 W.

So here's my history:

228: Season high from 2010 (and good estimate from Oct 1)

235: Week 1 test

250: Week 8 test

255: Week 14 test

I'll start another thread on interpreting the 14-week tests.

• Options

Great work everyone.

Just finished my test and I'm stoked; hit a lifetime PR FTP by 6W

In my first test on 30th October 2010 I did 264W on the open road (where I always score 20-30W higher than on my turbo/indoor trainer). I just recorded a 42' NP of 291W on the turbo, exceeding my OS target which I'd already revised upwards last month.

So, it would be lots of smug-points to me, but then I just saw I was supposed to have done a brick run afterwards and I just ate a HUGE celebration tea and got showered, so that ain't happening

• Options
    Success!!! I went into today's test a bit nervous. I didn't have the best week last week and my legs were feeling a bit tweaky this morning. I was planning on a longer warm-up, but was feeling good after 10 minutes so got started with the work. The first 20 was tough and I was thinking I was over doing things a bit. I made the decision to go for it on the second 20 and try to hang on. The last 10 minutes I really had to dig deep and got into a zone. I was a bit light headed getting off of the bike. Got it together enough for a 20 minute run. Suprisingly the run felt good for whatever reason.

20 min @ 266, 1.064
    20 min @ 276, 1.104

My new FTP is 270. A 20 watt jump. Pretty stoked to still be making big gains. Unfortunately I also gained a few pounds as I have been eating us out of house and home. Need to curb that back a bit. Perhaps these new zones will help burn a few extra calories.

Great job everyone on getting it done.
  • Options
    The NOS team is making some amazing results! Great work by all.

I started into today mentally set to crush the test this evening. SO much for that plan – in the last 4 hours the body thinks it is coming down with the flu or something – What the??? Have spent the last 30 min arguing with myself to HARDEN UP and get the test done.

I know the right thing to do is LISTEN TO the BODY. I don’t like the answer but know I should wait to see what tomorrow brings. I post this to force a decision for me – listen to your body matt!!! One day won’t kill the OS.

Team keep crushing it!
  • Options
    FTP Test results for week 14 are in. I went into the off-season soon after PR'ing a half and with about as good of a FTP as ever, so every watt is new ground. Last test came out to 226 and I went out at 230, then imploded to a 226. Wanted to try a more conservative approach this time and followed Coach P's podcast advice. It went like this.
    1st 10 min=210 Normalized Watts
    2nd 10 min= 231
    3rd 10 min= 232
    4th 10 min=246
    Total for the 42 min =231 Normalized Watts, so up 5 from the last one 6 weeks ago. I think I left a bit on the table with the conservative start, who knows. Last test, I died the last 10 min, this time I was adding steadily over the last 10 min and still didn't feel nearly as spent as last test. The last couple minutes, I was actually sitting on about 270. I felt just like a V02 interval, so doing those has definately helped my legs understand what hard is. Hoping this sets the stage for a good bump over the next LT block. I've got a long way to go to hit my goal of 250 by the end of this OS.
  • Options
    Posted By Ann Frost on 31 Jan 2011 07:15 AM

That was hard! First 20 minutes were tough and the second required a lot of self talk! Nothing left in the tank after that. Will have to do the run later today. But got to 160 watts this time as an average - started at 135 at the beginning of November - so very happy with that. Got myself to 3 watts/kg. Maybe my bike won't suck quite so much this year!

Good luck everybody!

That's an awesome improvement.  Watts is one thing.  Percentage gain is another...up ~19% in 14 weeks is killer!  Nicely done!

• Options
    I'm setting up for a ski race on Sunday (33K), so not sure I'm testing this week or not. We'll see...maybe Wednesday. Pretty exciting to see all the good results! Way to go everyone!
  • Options

Wow!  This is my first O/S -- joined EN in 2/2010 ... too late for O/S.  Now, I understand what everyone was talking about last year! I'm happy to report that my test went well:  my normalized power went from 220w to 240w.  WORK WORKS!!

By the numbers:

Entire workout (237 watts):                               Lap 1:                                                           Lap 2:                                                                     

Duration:      42:05                                           20:00                      Duration:                           20:00

Work:          597 kJ                                            289 kJ                    Work:                                 291kJ

TSS:           90 (intensity factor 1.14)              43.2 (1.152)        TSS (intensity factor)       44 (1.148)

Norm Power:    240                                          243w                     Norm Power:                    242w

VI:            1.02                                                     1.01                        VI:                                      1.01

Pw:HR:          n/a

Pa:HR:          n/a

Distance:      23.106 km

Elevation Gain:        168 m

Elevation Loss:       69 m

Grade:         0.4 %  (101 m)

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           11    326    237     watts

Cadence:         3    107    87     rpm

Speed:           0.5    47.5    32.9     kph

Pace             1:16    120:00    1:49     min/km

Altitude:        -19    101    21     m

Crank Torque:    0    184.5    26.2     N-m

• Options

258, up just a bit from 252.

• Options
    Friggin hard test, esp after travel and a solid 5k effort. Up to 335 from 325, nothing crazy but lifetime best for me. I'll take it!
  • Options
    Tested and got the same LTHR as test #2. But, as a HR guy, I know that is misleading since I am hammering better now than ever before. So, this pretty much solves the power question - next year I'm doing this with power!
  • Options

252 up from 245 for me. I am super excited to be over 250. That was my goal. This puts me at 3.75w/kg. I haven't been focusing on body comp at all. I'll start that when my HIM program begins in April.

People are crushing their former selves!

• Options
    Posted By Joe Hallatschek on 01 Feb 2011 08:40 AM

Tested and got the same LTHR as test #2. But, as a HR guy, I know that is misleading since I am hammering better now than ever before. So, this pretty much solves the power question - next year I'm doing this with power!

If you have a speed sensor on your rear wheel, you can track distance traveled during the test vs your previous test.  If you went further in the same amount of time, you are going faster and therefore making more power.  

• Options
    Way to Go Peeps!
  • Options

Testing a day late due to being tired from snowboarding this weekend. I wasn't expecting much if any of a bump because I pulled the trigger 3 weeks ago and tested. So I planned to go out like recommended and be conservative with the 1st 20. Last test I did 190/179, so I wanted a better paced effort. Planned to start with 183 for the first 10' and then push up a bit from there if it felt right.

I ended up with 190 for the 1st 20' and then 194 for the second. New FTP = 190. Up 7 watts in 3 weeks!

I officially owe RnP some coffee since I've smashed my OS end goal.  woo hoo!

• Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 01 Feb 2011 06:44 AM

Friggin hard test, esp after travel and a solid 5k effort. Up to 335 from 325, nothing crazy but lifetime best for me. I'll take it!

damn there P...that is friggin sick for a trainer [or any other kind for that matter] test!

• Options

Way to go all –great results and many monsters are being grown!!!

Got the FTP test done today – still did not feel 100% but decided to get it done. Got a boost to 252w from the 242 in the last test. Also dropped 3lbs, so w/kg moving in the right direction at 3.33.

Still struggling this year to get back to last year’s peak. Will get there – it just a question of work and time.

• Options
    Big imporvement for me this test. I had a 14 watt increase.

Test 1 - 170 indoors
    Test 2 - 175 indoors
    Test 3 - 189 indoors

That translates to a new outdoor FTP of about 217w.

w/kg up to 2.7 and getting much closer to my goal of 3+
  • Options

Leveraged all the mojo below to come up with a painful but nice gain over week 8.  Way to hammer guys!

I had a stressfull morning as expected.     About half way through the second interval we had a 20 minute power outage due to rolling blackouts in the area. Cold temps have placed larger demands on the structure. So, PT was going but I lost the ability to see the number – no light. Grabbed the cell phone while hammering and looked at the time then estimated how much longer I would need to go. Tough exercise while in the middle of 300 watts…………… 

Came out of this with a 4.3% improvement over week 8 from 278 to 290 NP. Next 6 weeks are going to suck!  

Interval 1:

Duration:          41:27

Work:                715 kJ

TSS:                  75.1 (intensity factor 1.043)

Norm Power: 290

VI:                     1.01

Pw:HR:             n/a

Pa:HR:              n/a

Distance:         16.33 mi

Min     Max    Avg

Power:              93       355     288     watts

Cadence:          60       115     86       rpm

Speed:              14       28       23.6    mph
  • Options

Due to the storm that was rolling in, I swapped my run and bike tests.  

Results from last test were:

Norm Watts = 201 (201/204 for each 20’)

W/kg = 3.47

Today:

Norm Watts = 209 (209/214 for each 20’)

W/kg = 3.64

This was my indoor PR for watts, but not w/kg.  If I was .6 lbs lighter and had the same Nwatts, it would be a w/kg PR, so I’m close.  It’s also only 2 watts away from my outdoor PR.  I’m very happy with the results. Hoping the next test will be an all-round PR!

• Options
    @Shaughn Way to stick it out and nail it. I can only imagine trying to look at the computer with a cell phone in the middle of a test.

@Daniela Nice jump. Looks like you finished really strong on the second interval.
  • Options

After seeing everyone crush it was chomping at the bit to get my test in.  Long story short woke up feeling not so fresh Monday and battled stomach issues all week.  Finally felt well enough to exercise today so jumped on it. 

New high of 276.  Thought I was gonna go straight to 280+ but blew up in second 20'.  Hopefully will skip the 280s now!

• Options
    All right ya'll...just completed my week 14 test. Last few weeks have been a scheduling nightmare with travel and an injury to the left calf (haven't run in two weeks). Good news is that I banged out another improvement in FTP on the bike yesterday. FTP is now 252 (out doors). Improved 31% over 14 weeks (and crushed heads/tails prediction of 205 and achieved my OS goal of 250).

11/1 OS start (compuTrainer) - FTP 192
    12/20 test (CompuTrainer) - FTP 236 (+22%)
    2/5 test (Out doors with PT) - FTP 252 (+7%)

I'm transitioning to my IM prep now for IMUT May 7th. Got a week of transition next week then 12 prep. I'll check in with ya'll from time to time thru Nov OS end. Thanks for all the support and advice in my first OS...great experience! Looking forward to my first IM in May...knowing EN is right there with me!!

• Options
    Bike test done

start OS 191
    8 wks 212
    14 wks 225 (218, 236)

still struggling to get equal splits - last 6 min of 2nd set @ 241 !!- I'll take the 13w bump though!

I didn't like the VO2 work - especially the last 45 sec or so of each set - it was always me vs RnP - kinda of a hate/love thing - hate em while on the bike - then lovin' it while in the recliner - @ end of day I think VO2 helped me
  • Options
    @ GEorge: Outstanding. Simply Outstanding.
  • Options
    Bike test today. One week behind you peeps.

First test - FTP 162
    Last test - FTP 171
    This test - FTP 179

I'll take it.
  • Options

Nice steady progress, Brenda!

• Options
    Posted By Brenda Ross on 08 Feb 2011 04:20 PM

Bike test today. One week behind you peeps.

First test - FTP 162

Last test - FTP 171

This test - FTP 179

I'll take it.
    Brenda-NICE WORK!!!!!

• Options
    Posted By Art Zaske on 08 Feb 2011 01:32 AM

@ GEorge: Outstanding. Simply Outstanding.

Thanks Art...I'm very happy with these results.  Now its time to put it to practice on the long course!!