Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 16 Run

Short and sweet this morning. Ran 5.5 miles with 3x1000(3') at 5:58, 5:56 and 5:48 pace.

Comments

• Options
    I got my run run done before work today. Since I eneded up at the gym and to keep the math simple I did 3 x 1 mile with .25 recovery. Legs felt heavy so I extended the warm uip to 20 minutes. Felt good once I got into them. They were 6:27, 6:17, and 6:03. Total run of 8 miles in just over an hour.
  • Options

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68574657

Ran outside in the fog and wind...Still like 33 degree's this am.

Ran from my house as a wu to the trail and back. Well not sure I like running intervals on a trail with up and downs and oh yes found the hidden ice x 3  but that is life.

Ended with a little over 8 miles and went a little long but oh well. Overall rating a 6/10. I kind of felt this run more than normal.....going to soak in hot tub.  By far the hardest run of the OS for me.  Dry heaving was a norm today for some reason.  My plan was 60 minutes total and 2x1 mile and 2x800

• Options
    Skipped the run again today, just to make sure the ankle twinge from Sunday's run is completely gone. Next week I'll be on the road with no chance to bike or swim, so I want to ensure that I'm good for run workouts.

Went to the pool instead and tried out my new Finis Swimsense watch. Love it. When it comes to analyzing workouts, the Swimsense is to the pool swim as the Garmin Forerunner is to the run and the Powertap is to the bike. And in the pool, it keeps me from miscounting laps which I'm really bad at.
  • Options

OK, the last 24 hours have been a bit different for me due to work, tight calf, sinus head cold and the idiot factor, so sit back and enjoy:

1.       5 pm last night my boss asked me to go to dinner with a group downtown DALLAS – and I left my apt keys locked in my office with my office key. (idiot factor) (I live in Austin until I sell my house and work in Dallas..)

2.       Got back to the apt late with no key and had to stay in a La Quinta hotel last night.

3.       Came down with a  throat, head sinus thing and did not get to sleep until about 1 a.m.

4.       Woke up this morning (a bit lost, where am I? .....damn my head feels crappy….) and got a second key from the club house then worked from the apt.

5.       Went over all the reasons not to run i.e. calf, sore throat, no sleep, and finally got pissed off enough with the list of excuses to step out a minute from the apt and run!!!

6.       Basically had a good 53 minute run (cut this a mile short due to the sinus issue) somehow hitting all Z4 zones on hills at NGP (1X1000, 1 X 1200, 1X 1 mile) and 2X1 mile Z3.

7.       Feel ok right now – how crazy is that ?  

Entire workout (164 bpm):

Duration:               53:56

rTSS:                      86.8 (0.947)

NGP:                6:27 (249.8 m/min)

Distance:              7.017 mi

Min       Max      Avg

Heart Rate:           61         177       164       bpm

Speed:                    0           117.3    7.9        mph

Pace                       0:31      0:00      7:37      min/mi

connect.garmin.com/activity/68585385

• Options
    I ran outside in the fog, but thankfully no wind. Temps are above freezing, but the trail surface is still below freezing which meant a lot of ice. I have to take the trail to get out of my subdivision (or run on a REALLY busy street), so I did bit of careful running. My knees had some odd soreness in them later, which I think is from stabalizing. Once I got to a quiter road, I just ran back and forth on it.

3x1000 (goal=7:27) @ 7:29, 7:23, 7:18
    Remainder (goal=7:39) @ 7:32

I'd rather run in single digit temps with no ice image

• Options
    Weather is nice here in Atlanta. Hit the local trail for the intervals, could definitely feel the wind pushing against/for me. Little tired heading into the run and legs felt pretty heavy during warmup and during the intervals.

goal was 7:05's
    1 mile @ 7:10
    1 mile @ 7:07
    1/2 @ 7:05
    1/2 @ 6:59
    then mixed in long sections of the trail using 8min pace with some z1 stuff about every 5 min just to chill, totaled about 20min z3 stuff.

7.5 miles in 1:03
    and really felt kinda crappy doin' it.

• Options
    Did the run this morning. I've been dealing with some hamstring tightness which has caused some pain behind my knee after about 1-2 miles in and also when increasing the pace. So, I'm keeping it a little slow for now. But, I got the work in.

0.5mi - 8:16
    0.5mi - 7:36
    1.0mi - 7:47
    1.0mi - 7:59

I know the paces are all over the board, but got the 1 hour in and happy that I had no pain afterward. Now it's time to keep stretching! (also, waiting on a replacement 310xt after the GPS failed on it - not completely sure I've got the calibration on the foot pod accurate).

• Options
    @Jason - 2 things that I can relate to....1) the first goal of every one of my runs is to get to the house without any injury, new or old, flaring up! Then, duration and intervals. But, first, is getting home healthy enough to run again, hopefully on schedule. And 2) the techno gadgetry that I rely on so much and usually falls back to "Damn, these numbers are off again, so I'll keep running 10'' faster (or slower) than its reading to offset the inaccuracy". Seems like I'm constantly recal'ing. I spend the dough and still have to fall back on guessing, UGHH.

good workout.
  • Options
    Epic failure for me today. Life got in the way this weekend through yesterday so last workout was Friday. Had done some TRX core work but no bike/run. Temps in the 40s, felt rested, decided "what the hell", lets go do a run test since I was unable to test a couple weeks back. Drive to track and still is covered in snow. Very disappointed so I decided to just do the scheduled workout- 2 x .5, 2 x 1.
    Warm up felt great. Nailed the 2 .5mi intervals then halfway through the first mile body just shut down. Couldn't get anywhere near TP. Like 30-40 seconds over it. Tried stopping, walking, stretching and nothing worked. Jogged on in and called it a day. Chalking it up to no exercise for a bunch of days and a letdown after hoping for a Vdot test. Or I just suck. That's possible too.
  • Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 16 Feb 2011 03:00 PM

Epic failure for me today. Life got in the way this weekend through yesterday so last workout was Friday. Had done some TRX core work but no bike/run. Temps in the 40s, felt rested, decided "what the hell", lets go do a run test since I was unable to test a couple weeks back. Drive to track and still is covered in snow. Very disappointed so I decided to just do the scheduled workout- 2 x .5, 2 x 1.

Warm up felt great. Nailed the 2 .5mi intervals then halfway through the first mile body just shut down. Couldn't get anywhere near TP. Like 30-40 seconds over it. Tried stopping, walking, stretching and nothing worked. Jogged on in and called it a day. Chalking it up to no exercise for a bunch of days and a letdown after hoping for a Vdot test. Or I just suck. That's possible too.

How many people did you see out there do TP intervals in the cold and snow?  My guess is that it was pretty lonely.......Fantastic job getting out there, improvising and getting all that work in.  You accomplished more than 98% of the rest of the world population today bro.  May not have met your expectations but was a commendable effort..........Now get back up and kick some more ass tomorroow! 

• Options
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 16 Feb 2011 10:16 AM

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68574657

Ran outside in the fog and wind...Still like 33 degree's this am.

Ran from my house as a wu to the trail and back. Well not sure I like running intervals on a trail with up and downs and oh yes found the hidden ice x 3  but that is life.

Ended with a little over 8 miles and went a little long but oh well. Overall rating a 6/10. I kind of felt this run more than normal.....going to soak in hot tub.  By far the hardest run of the OS for me.  Dry heaving was a norm today for some reason.  My plan was 60 minutes total and 2x1 mile and 2x800

Nice work Carl on the fog/ice outing..........sounds like my kind of run!

• Options
    Wed run complete, and for once if felt pretty good!

Entire workout (152 bpm):
    Duration: 1:00:15
    Work: n/a
    rTSS: 90.4 (0.91)
    NGP: 9:57 (161.8 m/min)
    VI: n/a
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: 6.36%
    Distance: 5.937 mi
    Elevation Gain: 276 ft
    Elevation Loss: 236 ft
    Grade: 0.1 % (41 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Heart Rate: 137 164 152 bpm
    Cadence: 80 87 83 rpm
    Speed: 0 14 5.8 mph
    Pace 4:17 0:00 10:20 min/mi
    Altitude: 801 942 852 ft
  • Options

Lovely day to run outside today ( relatively speaking)  Ran for 1:08:00  9.4 miles  Did the 3 X 1000's at  5:59, 5:42 and 5:47    Pushed hard and felt it.   It was good to do the intervals outside rather than on the treadmill.

Finished up the workout with some functional strength exercises and some good core work.  Now just struggling to get through the afternoon at work.

• Options

Nice running, Bob!

• Options
    I haven't been posting lately: life has been very hectic: I finished my book about the flipped classroom and submitted it to the publisher yesterday so that is a HUGE sigh or relief. I have been keeping up with my training, though tuesday mornings bike was a fail. I could not get up to any of the targets. And then this morning's run was great: 3x1000 at about 7:00 (on the treadmill). On the last one I felt good enough to bump it up to 6:48--for this old man that is fast.
  • Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 16 Feb 2011 03:00 PM

@ Tucker - call this a Big Picture Workout....sure, it  didn't go as scheduled, but, the number of workouts that you've nailed consistently, and the number that you WILL nail, will far outweigh a rough week of life trumping tri.  This isn't anything you don't already know, just a reminder.

@ Jon - congrats on the book and on the pacing! 

• Options

I did 8.64 in 1:02 outside but had to try a little harder than I'd planned to hit my 3:16 and 6:32 interval paces.  I'm looking forward to this weekend's 75 minute run as a nice little pre-test for my early April half marathon.  

• Options

@Shaughn - now that is a good story. Thanks for posting - makes my exploits more human!

@Jon - impressive. Writing, teaching, and doing this. I can't imagine how micro-managed your time must be! No wonder you weren't posting.

This morning was 60 degrees, 93% humidity, and a 6mph steady breeze. Although I wanted to bag it and just wait for an afternoon sun, I knew somebody in our NOV OS had it worse and was still knocking it out. So, I knuckled under.

Surprisingly good run. Still felt sore from yesterday, but worked it out during the warm-up. .5 mi target - 3:30, 1 mi 7:00

2X .5 @ 3:32, 3:24

2X 1 mi @ 6:56, 6:45

Total was 6.2mi in around 1:15. Made it to work by 0745, so I scored there as well!

• Options
    Wow – I had a great run, especially for a deadmill session! I owe it all to all of you and your posts……

@ Matt – Short and sweet? You forgot to mention wicked FAST!

@ Carl – Dry heaves as being ‘normal’? Man you’re an animal! Go for it!

@ Kevin – Smart to skip a run to rehab that ankle, you’ll come back stronger for it.

@ Shaughn – Sounds like you had one tough 24 hours! At least it ended well with a good hard run. Nice.

@ Jason – Be smart about that hammy, easy now is better than not at all later…

@ Tucker – Some days are just different. We cant be rock stars everyday. I wouldn’t be too concerned unless it lasts for days.

@ Bob – Nice! Yeah, I dread intervals on the deadmill too. But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do….

Tonight was 10 miles. Started with 3 at Z1, then 2 @ Z2. Stepped it up to Z3 for 4 miles and finished with the last mile at Z5. My average HR for the last mile was 182. haven’t seen that in a while…..

10 miles @ 7:48 total time 1:18:00

Awesome run!
  • Options
    Crappy hotel treadmill. No tunes. Thought it might fall apart. Didn't. Got them done at 10.5. 5 miles in just under 35 minutes. Check the box and move on. Very happy that I did thursdays bike intervals yesterday. Now i feel like I am on vacation.
  • Options
    Solid run yesterday 7.0 mi in under 55min. Felt good. Was able to pick up the pace on the 3 intervals to under 6:30 min/mi . Felt really good. Still don't like the pounding I get on the dreadmill and how after 40min of running feel like I am overheating in the gym.
  • Options
    Got the Wed run done last evening at the track. Held all target paces, slightly overachieved some in new shoes. Ran the 2-1/2's in 3:45ish and the 2- miles in 7:35's. Then filled out the hour with 1 mile @ 7:45. One of my running buddies a world class OW swimmer, working on running, does her 5K's in 20:00. Hard not to overachieve when she's out there in front. Funnig thing, she wanted to join me on these track workouts. Last night, there were 8 that showed up for this. Word spreads quickly that something cool goes on at the track on Wednesday evening. Mostly Masters swimmers tuning up for the upcoming tri season.

In week 16 now and for the first time in my tri career( 8 years), I'm having some Hamstring issues. But, I'm running at all time fast paces too, so I guess something is going to hurt, right?
  • Options
    I went off-reservation ... stir crazy and anticipating good weather today (Thursday) during my Wednesday run which was at like 10 pm or something.

Most of the time was easy, but I had seen Sulli's numbers that started with a 5 and I got all funky... so I did some fast 1000s. (OK, ok, sorry, I know I'm supposed to be more disciplined...VO2s plus easy isn't the same as threshold plus MP/HMP I know... so shoot me.)

Anyway, they were the fastest things anywhere in the neighborhood of half a mile I did this season.

3 x 1000 m at:

5:33 pace
    5:31 pace
    5:38 pace

Hoping to ride OUTSIDE today!
  • Options

Glad I could make you get funky!

• Options
    Wed run - 1st time outside since early dec. Struggled to get pacing right for intervals - treadmill makes pacing so easy.

Legs a tad sore on Thur - am i imagining the muscle groups are a little different between inside & outside running (=my soreness) - this is my first season on a treadmill
  • Options
    Okay Team Sundays run was done today here at the station after swimming 3000 yards just under and hour. I pulled 3/4 of the workout d/t the fact the legs were tired from the bike yesterday and wanted to get this run down.

Intermediate plan called for 2 x 1 mile and 2x 800's. Went well and all targets hit. 8.1 miles in 61 minutes.

Taking Saturday off....I am working 48 hours at the firestation and will stretch and foam roll throughout today and tomorrow.

Be safe this weekend and best of luck on the workouts.
  • Options

I did Sunday's run today too, on the treadmill at home.  10.5 miles in 75:00 hitting my 2x.5 and 2x1 intervals at 6:31 pace.  Overall pace was 7:08.  

• Options
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 18 Feb 2011 09:16 AM

Intermediate plan called for 2 x 1 mile and 2x 800's. Went well and all targets hit. 8.1 miles in 61 minutes.

Why is the Intermediate plan 2x1 and 2x800, but the Advanced plan is 60min of:

MS: 2 x 1 mile (2') @ TP/Z4/Hard. Remainder of run is how you feel, but try to accumulate more HMP/Z3/Mod-Hard time

They Intermediate seems harder than the Advanced.  I feel like a slacker if I only do 2x1

• Options
    Posted By Daniela Williams on 18 Feb 2011 12:57 PM
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 18 Feb 2011 09:16 AM

Why is the Intermediate plan 2x1 and 2x800, but the Advanced plan is 60min of:

MS: 2 x 1 mile (2') @ TP/Z4/Hard. Remainder of run is how you feel, but try to accumulate more HMP/Z3/Mod-Hard time

They Intermediate seems harder than the Advanced.  I feel like a slacker if I only do 2x1

Daniela-

Ours is also at TP.  60 minutes total with the remainder at HMP.  I think some of your bricks or most of them are longer during the week. 

• Options
    I went off the program today and just ran - 13k in 1:03. Not too bad for just getting out and watching the snow melt.