Home Outseaon November 2011 Group Discussion-Outseason November 2011
Options

Week 14 FTP Test and bike sessions

Rise and shine all!

PR’d it, but it was an ugly, painful, smack down battle:

Interval 1:

Duration:                42:02

Work:                     752 kJ

TSS:                       69.9 (intensity factor 0.999)

Norm Power:     302

SS

Comments

• Options
    +300 club...nice work!!
  • Options
    Congrats on making the 300 club! I managed to get up early and swim 3000 yards this morning...that was ugly enough. image
  • Options

Chapeau ... 300+ Club sound like something I join only in 5 years ... IF i keep training OS all year long ...image

Travelling today again, but working up my Watts/kg ... aka no late night snacks and only water drinking this week ...

Got my bike and run test last weekend as I am travelling again this week.

• Options
    Great job Shaughn.

For accountability, I'll post, but it is tough to follow someone breaking into the 300 club.
    I tested today at 173. Modest improvement from the last test.

I saw some wild fluctuation in the watts on the second interval, but was able to hold cadance at 89+ for the whole ride.

Looking forward to a lot of work in the next 6 weeks...
  • Options
    Way to go Shaugn! Awesome bump-and to think, I just want out of the sub 200 club one day image

Testing this weekend, Im a week behind ya'll as I started my OS a week later. Keep rockin folks image
  • Options
    Posted By Brett Prince on 30 Jan 2012 02:17 PM

Great job Shaughn.

For accountability, I'll post, but it is tough to follow someone breaking into the 300 club.

I tested today at 173. Modest improvement from the last test.

I saw some wild fluctuation in the watts on the second interval, but was able to hold cadance at 89+ for the whole ride.

Looking forward to a lot of work in the next 6 weeks...

Brett, I enjoyed reading your Week 8 blog.  Nice work/progress on the FTP test bro!  Believe in the plan and the coaches, stay consistent and it will deliver.  It is, as you mention in your blog, all between your ears.  Lean on this team always along the way.  SS

• Options
    Phew - that was ugly.

Interval 1:

Duration: 42:00

Work: 627 kJ

TSS: 85.4 (intensity factor 1.105)

Norm Power: 207

Up from 190 in my last test. Made this old (small) geezer happy ;-)
  • Options

@ Shaughn - 302 on the trainer way to lead the NOS on week 14. 

@ Brett - Also don't focus on the big numbers of others.  You have come from 155 at the start of the OS and that's some solid work.

@ Ian - 17 point bump from the last test is killer.

I'm just cheer leading today but you will see a Vo2 report from me tomorrow.

Gordon

• Options
    Shaun, nice work to enter the 300 club, awesome.

Nice work Brett, way to hold it together on the 2nd interval to get to your new numbers.

Great job Ian breaking 200 watts.

My last test resulted in an FTP of 245. Today's test resulted in an increase of 21 watts to 266!

Details of the ride (on the trainer):
    1st 20': 262 Normal Power
    2' "rest": 214 avg. power
    2nd 20': 273 Normal Power

I also broke down my 2nd interval because I pushed really hard at the end and wanted to see what the numbers looked like.
    2nd interval 1st 15': 267 Normal Power
    2nd interval last 5': 288 Normal Power

I'm wondering if I was a little too conservative on the 1st 20' and possibly left a few watts out there? I was drained at the end of the 2nd interval though, so probably not.

Good luck to everyone else testing later tonight/this week.
  • Options
    300+ club...aka "big boy" club...if ya know what I mean!

Just kidding...nice job Shaun! Ditto Ian and Shaun! I don't think I'm testing this week, but we'll see!
  • Options

Nice job, everyone!

Got it done today.

Duration: 42:00

Work: 584 kJ

TSS: 74.1 (1.029)

NP: 234 (up 7 Watts from first test)

Going the right direction.

• Options

Some nice improvements from this team below!  Week 14 is no small accomplishment considering the many weeks of OS load on your body from both running and biking and the mental toll it can take on you.  I am damn impressed with the numbers!  Hope all are getting a well earned day of rest as tomorrow's Run TT looms.....

• Options

Got a small bump yesterday on my test: 208, up from 201 on the last one. My sense is that if I'd given myself another day of recovery it might have been a few watts higher, I still felt pretty tired going into it. But I didn't want to mess with my schedule, and  I'm happy with that anyways. 

• Options

Impromptu FTP test for me this morning. I was planning on just doing 2 x 20'(4'). Then when I saw that I was a few watts above my old test value at the first 20', I realized I had no excuse not to suck it up and carry on to do a test.

I ended up with a teeny tiny FTP bump of 3 watts. But this now takes me to 3.1watts/kg and a 10% improvement since starting the OS. Considering that I wasn't even planning to test this morning, I'll take it. Every watt counts, and now I officially get to work a bit harder for the last few remaining OS weeks image 

• Options
    Lots of solid work coming through on the tests. Unfortunately, a bad order of chinese food Sunday afternoon has had me out of the fight for the last two days. Hoping to get back on track and to knock out a good test on Friday. I'm thinking the extra rest may do me some good.

Stay on it everyone!
  • Options
    I'm on a slightly modified schedule, so I'll be testing again in 3-4 weeks (I forget). Great work, Shaughn... I'm afraid 300 W will remain in my dreams.... at least for more than about 5-6 minutes! :-)

• Options

Wow, Jenn - 3.1w/kg, that's impressive!

• Options

Nice work everyone!

I had a nice little bump from 232 to 241.  Going in the right direction.

• Options

Great Job on the week 14 tests. I had to channel some team mojo today and I was not motivated to get on teh bike and do my Vo2 workout 12'

6x2' 291-293 ~1.23% then 10' @ .86 or 203 watts.

The last couple were tough but doable.

Gordon

• Options
    The tunnel got very dark and the world spun at the end, but when the dust cleared my new FTP was 232 (up from 222) and with my weight loss, my watt/kg are now an all time best of 3.6 w/kg.
  • Options

Mini bump.   316 to 319.   3.8 w/kg.     Not sure why i am not closer to last season.   Will keep working.   

• Options
    wow - lots of great stuff above

i tried last nite and just didnt have it - 1st 20 was good but fell apart on the 2nd set - turned into Z3 - pacing was good - a slow build - but i think some mental fatigue is setting in - maybe a couple down days are in order - my last few wko's were really strong so i was thinking i could go from 225 to 235/240 - i may resort to the 5/10/20 x 95% test later this week
  • Options

@ Kevin - Great a PB of 3.6 w/kg will be great for Lake Placid.

@ Jeff - I had one of those test earlier in the OS and I see a couple things. 

1) In those really strong workout prior to the test were you over reaching the zones.  I try to hold back a little in the couple days prior to a test week.  Why a slightly easier day helps with recovery and hopefully gives me a FTP boost which will be higher for the next 6 weeks.

2) I personally like to do the same testing protocol with the same environoment (trainer or outside), same bike (road or tri).  To keep the comparisons of apples to apples.  I'm not saying that the 95% test won't work or is not an option just be wary if you have not done one of these test you may get varying results. 

@Robin post some numbers and information on your training maybe we can come up with something. Nice job getting a bump as well

Gordon

• Options

Testing schedule off a bit this week due to travel for work.  

Bike Test from the weekend - new FTP of 229.  I was hoping for 230, but the 229 will do which is a 12 watt bump from the 217 where I was previously.

1st interval 235, 2nd 20 min interval 225.  I think I went out too hard, but it felt good and I wanted to push the envelope.  Last 5 min of the second interval were brutal and I was struggling to hold on as the silver computrainer man was riding off into the distance (drafting off).

This puts my watts/kg at 3.6.  Overall improvement from start of OS @ 189 and 2.9 wt/kg.  

Tried out the new watts with my single ride this week which is the saturday wk 14 ride, legs are little tired now, but will get a chance to relax tomorrow on a another flight.

I'll get the run test in sometime, but travel is taking me to nice warm places and I'm having fun just going out and running and laying down the miles as I go on adventures around the cities.

Keep up the good work!

• Options

@ John S. - great job on strong progress with the FTP bump - shows a lot of work bro!

@ Robin S. - those are serious whats coming out of the trainer test bro and 3.8 is serious business - nice job!

Woke up with stiff legs from yesterday but was able to work from home and do an after breakfast brick this morning…..had 3 X 10s……

Bike

Run(Z1)

Lap 2:

Duration:          10:01

Work:                178 kJ

TSS:                  15.9 (intensity factor 0.975)

Norm Power:    295

Lap 4:

Work:                179 kJ

TSS:                  16.2 (intensity factor 0.986)

Norm Power:    298

Lap 6:

Work:                183 kJ

TSS:                  17 (intensity factor 1.008)

Norm Power:    304

Entire workout (244 watts):

Duration:          1:02:37 (1:02:47)

Work:                914 kJ

TSS:                  79.4 (intensity factor 0.876)

Norm Power:    264

• Options
    I did the team time trial race in Milwaukee this past weekend and I have used that number. I am up a few watts from 242 W to 246W. I will take 4 watts. Last year after the VO2 session I did not improve.

Today (thu) I had a hard time really going after the workout. I think it was 2 things.
    a. I was exhausted from the hard run test done late Wed afternoon
    b. I had new numbers to hit.

Looking forward to a day off (And it is my daughters 17th birthday too). Yea!
  • Options

So with all the goodness happening, I couldn't wait til the weekend. Dialed a test up this afternoon after work and caught a small bump.

2x20 (2) @ 282 and 282 for a NP of 279. Ave HR of 155.   wt/kg = 3.3.

All in all, a bump of 14 points with a 1 pt increase in HR from the last test. Although the ave watts per interval was the same, the effort across the two was totally not the same. I had to play some mental on/off switches on myself during the 2nd interval. Some fresh songs in the video mix definitely helped, but I was reaching for motivation during the last couple of minutes.

The reward for a higher FTP... harder zones during each subsequent workout... doesn't seem quite fair does it?

• Options
    Great progress everyone. @Roy, you're right...you get excited because of the FTP bump and then you get punished for it!

12', 10', 8' of Z4 today at the new numbers. All at an IF of 1.00 and change. The last 8' was hell.
  • Options

Nice work, team.

I'm a week behind, but Beth Masher Reform School continues. New rule of the bike? No cadence below ninety ever. Watts are looking pretty. I'm actually looking forward an ftp tes.

• Options
    had a bad test the other nite - yesterday = off - today = a long but successful day @ work had me inspired to try again

retest tonite - 5/10/20 x.95 - up 5w to 230 - last 5 min was strong @ 257 - was hoping for a few more but considering how hectic life is @ the moment i'll take it