Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Considering a move to CO

Joanne and I have been kicking around the idea of a move to Colorado. A few notes:

• Joanne is a flight attendant with United. DIA is a hub for them so easy for her to transfer. I, of course, can work anywhere, but we're interested in an area about 1-1:15 drive from the airport. CO would like save us $$$$ in airfare traveling to Atlanta to see my family, etc.
  • Joanne's parents would eventually move in with us. I expect we'd be advance party, renting for period, while we explored, found a house with detacted inlaw dealio, etc. Access to Chinese TV has been stated as a requirement. DirecTV? Cable? .
  • Many things would have to happen on our end, specifically, real estate values come up a bit in Cali so likely not for another year or two.
  • I'd like to be able to run, bike, or moto (road and dirt) from my door to the mountains in minutes, if not seconds.

Currently interested in:

• Colorado Springs: weather looks really nice there. Looking at the map though, it doesn't look "right" in the mountains like what I'd like to have. Also about 85 miles from the airport which might not be the best for Joanne.
  • One of the mountain communities on the west side of Denver? I have some friends in Evergreen and I've passed through the Golden, etc area.
  • Boulder? Gotta say...the idea of living somewhere where I can't swing a dead 650c QR without hitting a pro triathlete or coach doesn't really appeal to me. Yes to immediately plugging into the tri, cycling, and running communities wherever we go, as that's about the only way I know how to meet people anymore but...just not into dealing with anything other than "I just wanna ride." But I figure there must be a reason why so many live there. Frankly, if there's a kickass motorcycle shop and mountain/trail riding from the city, that's a higher consideration than the endurance sports scene.
  • Anything else?

Again, this is all at least a year down the road. This is the longest I've ever lived in one place (10yrs), I have a lot of great friends here but ready for a change.

Any help?

Comments

• Options
    Steph and I lived in Boulder once upon a time. We wish we moved to Denver instead of back to Michigan but that's another story.

If I could move tomorrow I'd be looking in Lyons, Evergreen.

I'd live in Ft. Collins before Colorado Springs. 70 miles to the airport though.
  • Options
    Posted By Dan Socie on 19 Jan 2010 06:46 PM

Steph and I lived in Boulder once upon a time. We wish we moved to Denver instead of back to Michigan but that's another story.

If I could move tomorrow I'd be looking in Lyons, Evergreen.

I'd live in Ft. Collins before Colorado Springs. 70 miles to the airport though.

Thanks. We are going out to a Denver for a wedding in May. Come to think of it...it's Memorial Day Weekend so no epic training weekend...crap..I want to rent a motorcycle and do some exploring with Joanne for a couple days, check out some areas, etc.

• Options
    Chinese TV: It's available here in Rochester, NY by Time Warner Cable and Dish network---it's gotta be available in Denver. If not, my parents have a satellite dish for just Thai and Chinese TV. No monthly charge...just the expense of the dish. PM me if you and Joanne would like more info on it.
    Denver has a pretty decent Chinatown--nothing like LA or NYC or San Francisco, but you'll be able to get dim sum without too much problem.
  • Options

My brother lived in Silverthorne for a year. Was just amazing, however it is right at that 1 1/2 hour limit for you. In the winter living in the mountains would also really effect ya.

Boulder really is a cool town, used to spent quite a bit of time out there for work. Although I obviously defer to folks that actually lived there.

As for TV (cause really that is more my expertise, couch + tv = fat and happy Dave). Do you prefer Cantonese or Mandarin?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/international/cantonese?footernavtype=-1

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/international/mandarin?footernavtype=-1

-Dave

• Options
    Doesn't it snow in CO? What are you thinking!!

tom
  • Options
    Posted By Tom Glynn on 20 Jan 2010 10:11 AM

tom

Tom, what's really, really be killing me is that I've never gotten outside of the box my normal winter stuff: running, cycling, working, that's it. Never taken a winter vacation, etc. Hell, I live 85 miles from skiing in Big Bear and have never gotten off my ass to make it happen. Never planned ahead to budget for the trip, expenses, time, etc.

• Options
    Posted By Rich Strauss on 20 Jan 2010 10:51 AM

tom

Tom, what's really, really be killing me is that I've never gotten outside of the box my normal winter stuff: running, cycling, working, that's it. Never taken a winter vacation, etc. Hell, I live 85 miles from skiing in Big Bear and have never gotten off my ass to make it happen. Never planned ahead to budget for the trip, expenses, time, etc.

Does this mean Coach Rich might actually have to get on a trainer or a treadmill some day.

• Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 20 Jan 2010 11:23 AM

tom

Does this mean Coach Rich might actually have to get on a trainer or a treadmill some day.

Nope, not a chance.

• Options

Ya know, there may be a very good reason you never got off your ass to do it.  Like, maybe you don't like playing in the cold???   I know I don't!  I'll spend all my energy planning a 3 week vacay in NZ again before I plan a ski trip to CO!

• Options
    Rich -

First of all, CO has the lowest percentage of overweight and obese people - combination of altitude and obsession with outdoor activities. I also think it's the most civilized state in the union; I've lived in Midwest, Los Angeles, Conn, Mass., and WA state. I'd move there, but as our kids leave the nest, they're not moving far from the tree, it seems.

I am very lucky; my parents in 1968 bought property there near Aspen ($15K for 5 acres!) and built their retirement home, so I've been going there for 42 years. You should for sure explore yourself to see what feels comfortable. But a couple of reminders about things you already know:

I've tried training at various altitudes there from 4400 feet to over 9000. Anything above about 5500' makes it VERY hard to do any intensity work, like VO2 max biking, 5K pace running, or swim intervals. Places like Evergreen or Lyon in the foothills west of Denver are great, but if that kind of training is important to you, make sure you can handle it at 7500', 2K above Boulder/Denver.

Also, you are aware of the cultural ambience in Colo Spgs vs Boulder. I've got friends in both places; all kinds of people live in each community. BUT, in general, CO Spgs is a combo of Rush Limbaugh/retired military, while Boulder is Liberal Professor/College Party town. The look and feel of the places are vastly different.
  • Options
    One other thought, about real estate: Home prices in LA are about 30% higher than Denver, but they are still falling, while those in Denver are now flat. There was much less rise and much less fall during the RE bubble in Denver than in LA. Waiting may only reduce the difference between the markets more, making your LA home worth less in Denver area than it is now. Assuming you can find someone to buy it! Bottom line is, you could get a better house there than the one you have now, but your advantage will fade the longer you wait.
  • Options
    Posted By Al Truscott on 20 Jan 2010 12:08 PM 

my parents in 1968 bought property there near Aspen ($15K for 5 acres!) and built their retirement home

Can I be one of your kids? 

• Options

Ok HI! I'm in Denver!! And there are some others of us in the area, as I've recently found in my call out in the Rocky Mtn Region Forum.

Here's some observations/thoughts. Let me know how else I can help...i.e. plan rides for your visit etc.

Boulder – Geeked out tri- and extreme sports vibe is definitely there, but there are a lot of fit people there. Not sure how old that would get for you, and whether you might start to feel like you could never really leave work. In Boulder those that are pro triathletes are one thing; those that *think* they’re pros are a whole other kettle of fish. Lots of potential customers there for you though….but you can’t win them over until I have my opportunity to dominate them this summer! J It is a great community, but not for everyone. Some folks find it a bit too crunchy and hippie on the edges, but that has its benefits. One of the top places to be able to really get around on a bicycle, some kick-a$$ farmer’s markets, some great restaurants, really smart people, and the like, which are nice. Plus there’s phenomenal bike riding, road and mountain, available from Boulder, and great easy access to trails for your boyz to romp. The cost of living there is pretty steep though compared to everywhere else. It is also a college town. Obviously you can live there and not deal with CU, but it’s there. Would I live there: Yes, but only if I didn’t have to drive to another town to work. Joanne would have to drive to DIA from Boulder. That’s a decent drive, not one I’d sign up for.

Golden – Great town. People that I know who live there LOVE it. Easy access to front range trails. Awesome location to be able to ride TT repeats up lookout mountain (which we all love to do!!).  CO School of Mines is there, but a much smaller school than CU. Definitely a nice community and worth looking at. Would mean a longer drive for Joanne, but the public transportation system is being built out over the next few years to add service to/from the Golden area. Airport service is in scope for that but I don’t know the timing. You’d probably have to give her back her Kindle if she were going to make that trip.

Denver and suburbs – Denver works great for Brian and I. Easy to get around, very manageable. Lots of access to bike trails to support commuting to work for us, obviously not an issue for you. Good downtown vibe when you want it. Lots of options for housing price ranges. Easy airport commuting by car, or by bus from downtown. We live on the East side of Denver and it’s about :25 – :30 to airport. There is an active Chinese community here. I don’t know details, but I work with a woman who is involved. She could probably give me some further specifics. As for TV I have a friend who works for Dish (HQ here) and he knows EVERYthing about what TV you can get. So I can do more research on that too. What Al says about the RE market in Denver is true. Not much change through all of this other chaos that’s gone on. I have a friend who is a realtor and while he saw a slowing of activity there just wasn’t any substantive movement in housing prices. In *most* years the winter temperatures in Denver are pretty mild. They get cold, but not so bad that you feel like you’re living in, oh, I don’t know, in Chicago. Generally when it snows it melts rapidly and riding is possible. This year has been whacked with temps getting way colder than usual, and snow sticking around as a result. That’s limited the opportunities for riding outside. This past weekend was a change so people were out in droves on their bikes….some of them ended up crashing though, because of unexpected ice on the ground. Anyway. That CAN happen, but that isn’t normal. Biggest snows usually come in Feb and March.

Mountain towns – Awesome to live in because you’re living in a place that most people only go to on vacation, but tough to handle if you don’t work there too. Plus you often have to commute for lots of stuff back down to Denver or pay through the nose for the convenience up there. If Joanne is commuting more than a couple of days a week, that’s brutal. Especially if any of her commutes might coincide with any of the mass people movement either out of or into the mountains for holiday weekends, powder days, etc. That notwithstanding your access to off-road moto trails from a mountain town would be unparalleled. We made the decision when we got married and combined our living arrangements that rather than go buy a bigger house for our married life, we’d keep one of our smaller condo’s in Denver and buy a second small place in Summit County. Works great!! What’s funny is the winter commute up there for winter activities is what motivated that decision, but we’ve found that the summers are the real treat up there!! Especially on two wheels! Winter in the mountains DEFINITELY means trainer! Usually too much snow piled on the side of the roads to ride. There are always some hearty souls that out there though.

CO Springs – For a full run down on the CO Springs area ping Mike Davis. He’s new to EN as of December OS (IIRC), and could give you the 411. I haven’t spent a ton of time there, so can’t really comment. Except for the fact that it would be a pretty horrific commute for Joanne if she was working out of DIA. If she could work from CO Springs airport, that could be good. One thing I love about the Springs is having Pikes Peak literally in your back yard. That’s just cool! Definitely a lot of residents here have military affiliation with proximity to Ft. Carson. I’m not sure what other industry is there.

I love CO! Proud to call it home!

• Options
    How much sunshine in these towns? It's something I would definitely consider.

I was raised in Ottawa, Canada, the coldest capital city in the world. Lived for a number of years in Bonn, Germany. When you come back to California, you can't believe what a difference sunshine makes. Ottawa and Bonn were probably overcast 300 days a year (OK, a little exaggeration, but not much!). Makes everyone depressed, all the time.

We've just started thinking retirement locations, and sunshine ranks a very high priority. No deserts, but no gray skies for months either.

tom
  • Options

Rich - skiing is fun. 

Winter Park, at least, has tons of sunshine.

Trying to do an interval workout at 9,000 feet? Hardest workout I've ever done in my life.

• Options
    Rich

You are about as close to the skiing in Cali as you would be Denver, maybe a "little" closer in Denver. The snow is great in CO, but it doesn't last long in the city,.You can truly run all year long outside, remember to layer! If I were going to suggest an area/neighborhood my one suggestion would be," stay west of I-25". South of town, west of i-25 is totally suburbia, lots to do and really good riding and running. There are LOTS of trails/paths (paved and unpaved) and they are easy to get to. Littleton has a river that run right through it and you can ride 100 miles out your back door easy and not too much traffic. I would have to totally second Oliva's Golden nomination, great town, great riding/running and climbing too. The Peoples Republic of Boulder, what can you say? It's Boulder. If you don't mind the San Fran/Berkley mindset, then you can handle Boulder. GREAT riding/running and racing. I don't know too many places where you can go on a training ride and meet 3,4,5 people you just saw in a magazine the day before. (Cam Widoff is really cool, Tyler Hamilton is NOT totally cool) I totally love Boulder but housing is Expensive. There are a couple of places just outside Boulder that are cool, Longmont and Niwot. Any place you might end up will be great. The front range is a great place to live!!
  • Options
    Posted By Tom Glynn on 20 Jan 2010 02:19 PM

How much sunshine in these towns? It's something I would definitely consider.

I was raised in Ottawa, Canada, the coldest capital city in the world. Lived for a number of years in Bonn, Germany. When you come back to California, you can't believe what a difference sunshine makes. Ottawa and Bonn were probably overcast 300 days a year (OK, a little exaggeration, but not much!). Makes everyone depressed, all the time.

We've just started thinking retirement locations, and sunshine ranks a very high priority. No deserts, but no gray skies for months either.

tom

Quote from metro Denver.org...

Metro Denver is situated on the high plains at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Moderate temperatures, low levels of humidity, and abundant sunshine provide an ideal climate for year-round activities. Metro Denver has 300 sunny days a year – more annual days of sunshine than either San Diego or Miami Beach.  

I agree with the West of I-25 comment generally. 

• Options

All,

Thanks for the help! My aunt and uncle live in Littleton, or Englewood, I forget, so I can check out that area. Just check out the elevation for Evergreen = 7500...yikes! I bet it's cold there right now!

Don't mind crunchy, college town. Not interested in getting local business. I'm 100% interwebs and like it that way. I get to talk to good people like you in my underwear...when I wear any .

Not interested in large population of military types, retirees, etc.

Anyway, I'll share this information with Joanne. Very easy for us to drive to LAX, hop on a plane and spend a couple days kicking around the area, exploring, etc.

• Options

In two years Keith and I are moving. Looks like a visit to CO is going to happen before that!

• Options
    We should start another thread "Where should aging triathletes retire?"! I love reading race reports and cool events postings just to get location information.

tom
  • Options

While some have touched on the difference in weather, that is a major consideration for us. In the past, we moved from SoCal to places with winters and it was a tough adjustment. And I would think that winter commutes for your wife could definitely be a tad more sporty than the constant warm and dry roads of SoCal.  Think black ice and short winter days.

Call me a wimp, or as Bob Dylan once sang, 'maybe I'm getting soft" but each year I come up with less and less justification for living through winters - even with many days of sunshine.

In the next couple of years or so we are planning on saying adios to this winter wonderland and heading back down to the US southwest. I really believe that snowbirds have the right idea.

My recommendation is that you ponder your next move carefully.

• Options

Colorado Springs is definitely a military based community with a lot of active and retired personnel. I have lived here all my life and watched it grow from a town of about 60,000 to the current ~600,000 in the area. Generally pretty laid back here but Al is correct in saying it is a Rush Limbaugh mindset although in the last election Obama carried the county (must be all them Californians relocating here) so it isn't as conservative as it once was. I have known several Denver based pilots in the area although they tend to stick to the north side of Colorado Springs, Black Forest or Monument area's that have commuted and didn't seem to mind too much. We are in northeastern Colorado Springs and it is about an hour on good roads to DIA from the house. I am 100% all in with Olivia and others with the Golden area as far as a great place. Head west and you are in the mountains in minutes yet still close enough to Denver to enjoy the city. Denver also has an awesome trail system for riding, running, etc. last year I was on my bike through the heart of Denver for 2+ hours and only had to stop once where they were working on the trails (and it does extend right into Golden). If I didn't work with such a great company here in the Springs (22 years with these guys) I would be in the Golden area in a heart beat! The other thing to share is that while we get lots of snow it typically only stays around a few days because of the temperatures/sunshine so you can be outdoors most of the year.  Wherever you are in Colorado it seems that there is some of the elite level people living and training around you but it also keeps us mortals humble and motivated!

• Options

All this talk makes me want to move....sigh...

• Options

Dan-

I always want to move and I agree, this thread is just continuing that desire!!!

• Options

I graduated from the AF Academy in C Springs in 79, and I have a son there now so I get out to Colorado regularly.  Lots of great trails, HQ for USAT, Olympic Training Center, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, etc.  It's grown so much since I graduated but still isn't TOO big like Denver.  But it can be damn cold!   I was last out in Oct 09 for my 30th reunion and they were having really cold weather for Oct, especially compared to subtropical Florida.  There's NOTHING that I haven't run through (like 71 below wind chill) so I sucked it up and did a long run with my son with the temp in the low 20s and who knows what the windchill was.  Went to the football game that afternoon and they announced the wind chill at 8 degrees.  Compared to Tampa the summers are great, but it's soooooo nice to be living down here this time of year.    The chinook winds can be fierce, but I've lived in LA too and I know they get the Santa Annas down there.   Sounds like you have a lot of great options.  Hope the real estate market turns for you.  Despite my aversion to cold weather, I would probably choose Colorado over SOCAL when you factor in all the lifestyle issues that go along with living in California. 

• Options

Lived in Denver, near DU for 3 years & have friends north of Denver (easier for the airport and for Estes Park)

There's a bunch of nice towns such as Firestone along the front range between Denver and Fort Collins.

• Options
    If i could find a good job (ha, like that would happen these days) I'd move to CO in a heartbeat too!
  • Options
    @Linda -- say it ain't so.

@Rich -- are you ready to develop those shoveling muscles??? image or sell a moto for a snoblo? and wouldn't living in Boulder surrounded by triathletes be your version of personal hell???? image
  • Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 22 Jan 2010 05:39 AM

@Linda -- say it ain't so.

@Rich -- are you ready to develop those shoveling muscles??? or sell a moto for a snoblo? and wouldn't living in Boulder surrounded by triathletes be your version of personal hell????

Yeah, that's why I'm not all about Boulder. JnI are looking at taking a two day trip out to the area in February.

• Options
    Seriously jealous over here. I was living in SLC, UT and wanted out. I looked at every community mentioned in this thread and was willing to go to any one of them. BF at the time reneged on deal to move and I left him. Stupidly, I moved back east instead of doing what I really wanted- Fulfilling my lifeling desire to live in CO! Great thing s have come out of my move, but DH has often said he'd be willing to live there. I say you can't go wrong with a move to CO if you have this much and more info! Good luck!