Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout posts - week of June 4

Race week for me!!! I am starting to get super-excited!!

Did my last hard swim workout this morning. Rather than do the taper-week swim it is all guns blazing on training until tomorrow when the crash taper begins. So I did the swim that would have been called for based on the HIM plan targeting Racine in July. Hopefully not a tactical blunder but this is the taper approach I took for Steelhead last year when I was building for Vegas and it worked (for Steelhead at least!!).

Overall 3200 yd in 1:01:39 (avg pace 1:49/100yd, incl rest intervals). Took 1:00 rest between each MS. Avg efficiency 37. Avg. 10.5 strokes per length in 25 yd pool.

Paces:

W/U 400 – 1:37, then rested for 1:00

MS1: 8x100(15) as 50 sprint / 50 easy – 1:29, 1:31, 1:30, 1:30, 1:29, 1:28, 1:29, 1:32

MS2: 5x200(20) targeting negative split – 1:32, 1:32, 1:32, 1:33, 1:34

MS3: 3x300(30) with last 50 of each a sprint: 1:35, 1:36, 1:36

C/D 300 – 1:40

Actually the 300's were supposed to be "last 100 as a sprint", but I hadn't written it down so remembered it as 50. Oh well. As for the 200's, all were a negative split (barely…negative splits were, in seconds, 1.9, 2.5, 2.4, 2.0, 3.0).

Overall felt very good in the pool today...we'll see how the run goes this afternoon after not running since Thursday (and that one being pretty disappointing).

Comments

• Options
    @ Matt - Sorry to hijack, but what is swimming "efficiency"?

Like Matt, I'm racing this weekend. I am taking the same swim approach, but swimming with the local club in the 50 m outdoor pool now. Feel like kind of a woosie getting out after only 75 min or so. :-) Today was ~3200 m with a lot of sprint stuff. I actually thought that was good for me to keep the body from going into full shutdown or whatever. I'm as bad as anyone in terms of feeling very up and down during a taper, and I'm taking a more-or-less-as-on-the-books two week gradual taper, except on the swimming.
  • Options

3,000M early………

@ William - I am doing much of the same as you.  I use an outdoor 50 M pool and will be basically swimming my ass off between now and my June 24th HIM.

@ Matt - I think you're going to set a PR bro!  Taper smart after this crash cycle. 

SS

• Options
    Way to represent guys....looking forward to those race reports. I was still tired and slept 9 1/2 hrs last night. Did 15 mins core tonight plus 92 mins Z2 on the trainer. Saturday I averaged 24.05 mph on the bike (24.6 in 61:21). It was pancake flat except for the 14 overpasses that made it seem more like a rolling course. Anyway that was my hard ride for last week.

Interestingly, the USAT refs did not know the skinsuit rules and overruled myself and another athlete when we politely told them they were confusing WTC's rule dispensation with the standard USAT rule. I wrote USAT the night before the race and received an apology from Charlie Crawford today. I'm hoping they send out a reminder to alll refs so the don't misinterpret rules at other races. At a minimum, I was assured that USAT deal with those particular refs.
  • Options

Second-to-last run before Kansas. Beautiful weather – unless you're preparing for a 90-degree race, which apparently I am – 70's and sunny. The plan called for 30' with 3x3'(1') @z2, but I extended to 45' as part of my "crash taper" plan (which begins tomorrow) and added an extra interval. And I ran based on RPE so thepaces ended up more like z3/4. The wind was very strong from the north so I ran into the teeth of the wind first, hence the first two interval paces vs. the second two. The 14' of extra time at the end was also a lot faster than RPE would suggest…I'd rate it a mid-z3 effort at most.

Overall 6.72 miles in 45:01, 6:42 pace with no stops. Current paces z2=7:09, z3=6:53, z4=6:45

Warmup 15'@ 6:55

4x 3'(1') – 6:29, 6:27, 6:07, 6:14

(1' recoveries 7:59, 7:44, 7:41, 7:56)

"Remainder time" – 14' @ 6:34

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185720262

• Options
    @ Shaughn -- thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not sure this is a course for PR's given the bike is apparently quite hilly. But that said, you never know. I'm in better shape fitness-wise compared with last year, but the training has been less consistent due to the travel, and, as I said in my response to a post William made in another thread, I am not acclimitized at all to a hot race (unlike last year where I trained through a hot spring and most of the summer before my first race). But we'll see...you never know...

@ William, the "swim efficiency" is a metric calculated by the Garmin that incorporates your stroke count and pace. A lower number is better, i.e. for the same pace, fewer strokes would yield a lower score (or, for the same strokes / length, a faster split would yield a lower score). The metric is normalized for a 25 meter pool so comparable across pools. If you've never clicked on the Garmin links in my swim workout posts, give the one above a try. The output from the 910xt is pretty cool.
  • Options
    Nice work everyone!

@ Matt, smoking run, those paces are blazing!

Did 3,000 yards in the pool late tonight. Was gonna take the day off and do it tomorrow before work but then started thinking that I didn't want to get up that early image Now I can "sleep in" tomorrow!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Looks like there's lots of good work going on. I'm also looking forward to the race reports from you guys who are racing this weekend. Well, this is my first week into the half Ironman training plan. I did a run and a swim workout.

Run 30' easy with some strides. Then 2 x 1 mi repeats at 7:27. Then I did a relatively easy 20' run back home.

The swim was 2050 yds. Less than planned but this was the first long swim since last Sept.

• Options

44 minutes of Z4 time this morning = painful morning.  J

Entire workout (236 watts):

Duration:                1:10:26 (1:13:43)

Work:                     999 kJ

TSS:                       90.5 (intensity factor 0.888)

Norm Power:          268

Swam 2,000 yards at lunch.............

• Options
    @ Shaughn, way to get it done, that's a tough ride after this weekend's work.

I hopped on the bike this evening and the legs just wouldn't go. I tried for the Z4 a few times but just couldn't hit the groove. Rolled back to the apartment casually spinning along. I may try it again tomorrow depending on how the run goes.
  • Options

@ Doug - yes it was much more difficult than it looked on paper if you did the weekend work!  Doug, way to fight through that one bro!

• Options
    Kick butt Shaughn!!

5 miles in the AM @ 129 avg HR. I'm giving up on speed work for a few months and just doing HR running within my target ceiling.
    No swim- rained out with thunderstoms
    PM - 74 mins on the trainer with TSS = 84
  • Options

Swam 2,500 M early then got out of the pool and ran 6 miles with 3 X 1 at sub 7min/mile pace.......

Swim: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186281464

Good luck today all!

SS

• Options
    Swam 1800 yds yesterday and ran for 45 minutes Ez with 6 strides. I feel like I'm getting my stroke and endurance in the pool back to normal again.
  • Options
    Ok, The week so far:
    Week 18 of HIM porgram:
    Moday - Swim 20x100M on 20sec rest as 50hard 50 recover.
    Tuesday: 75min bike with a MS of 3x15min Z4. Had a much easier time finding z4 heart rate than I did on sunday. It is funny, when I am cooked, I cant keep my heartrate down on the run and I cant get my heart rate up on the bike.
    Wednesday - Had to do tomorrow's 105min run today. I was able to hit the interval paces but My HR got up higher than I would have liked.
  • Options
    Jimmy - You're crushing it if you're still really hitting everything just right in week 18. Good luck in a couple weeks!

Racing Sunday, so tapering hard by now...

I have to keep reminding myself that taper is so up and down. Last night I did that last brick and felt dead on the bike, but ran like the wind. (Actually, running like the wind = 6:30ish, but toned it down and ran "easy" under 7:00)

It'll be good. :-)
  • Options
    Nice work everybody!!!

Couldn't hit the FTP bike stuff yesterday but I think doing some spinning on the bike helped get them ready for today's work.

Went out for a run this morning and had 3 X 1 mile intervals at Z4-5. I felt really good and hit all 3 at Z5 (6:07, 6:09, 6:07). Wow, those things are hard! Details here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186338224

Went straight to the pool to do today's swim workout. I was gunning for 4000 yards but only got 2100 yards in. During the swim there were a couple times that my left hamstring and left calf tightened up a little bit. During the last lap that I did my left calf tightened up into a knot in the middle of the deep end. I thought I was gonna sink but was able to grab a lane marker and pull myself to the edge of the pool. Wow, it didn't seize up completely but I reached down to massage it out and the thing was hard as a rock and hurt like a #$@!. Needless to say I got out of the pool.

Went home got some food and fluids in me, rested a bit and then hit the bike to try and get back some of yesterdays missed Z4 work. I didn't get all 45' in but did get 36' in. Did one 15' interval and then had to piece together a bunch of stuff because I just couldn't go more than 3' or 4' at a time. All in all though I was happy to get back some of that work. No issues with the left leg on the ride. I just hope I didn't impact tomorrow's run. We shall see...

Entire workout (215 watts):
    Duration: 1:24:36 (1:25:18)
    Work: 1090 kJ
    TSS: 96.6 (intensity factor 0.834)
    Norm Power: 243
    VI: 1.13
    Pw:HR: n/a
    Pa:HR: n/a
    Distance: 27.635 mi
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 529 215 watts
    Cadence: 32 174 79 rpm
    Speed: 0 40.2 19.6 mph
    Pace 1:30 0:00 3:04 min/mi
  • Options

@ Doug - Holy Mother of GOD!  Nice triathlon you hammered out today Superman!

@ Jimmy and Enrique - strong work gentlemen!

@ William - good luck on the race and feeling like caged tiger this week!

@ Paul - just keep leading!

• Options
    Man, y'all are fast.
    @william the secret is running a bad 5k. Still, I have serious doubts about holding z2-3 for 13.1 in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Doug ... No doubt on what caused that leg cramp! But what a great workout.

AM - 4,000 yards in the pool
    PM - 15 mins core + 52 mins recovery spinning and technique work on the trainer
  • Options

Pre-race powermeter problem...yikes...

Last workout of note before Kansas, and based on my work and travel schedule, maybe my last workout at all before the race (on a plane to DC now, not back until late tomorrow, then early meeting Friday before driving to KS). I cut the ride a bit short and cut out one interval since I had to get to the airport and didn't want to miss the run (and had to pass by the bike shop, see below).

I set up the ride as a "shakeout ride" for my race setup, and I'm glad I did. Four problems, three of which may be an issue come race-day:

1. I had my drivetrain totally cleaned at the shop earlier this week. Something they did – maybe re-torquing the bolts on the chain rings?? – caused the quarq powermeter to get a totally new calibration point. All this year when I do the calibration the number hangs out around -130 to -135, and today when I did it I got -235. I was a bit worried, but even more worried when I saw the power numbers during my ride. They were through the roof…at least 15-20 watts higher than RPE or HR would suggest…by now I'm pretty well-calibrated on RPE and I just KNOW it was off. So I'm not sure what to do about that. Probably nothing I can do at this point…either ride my numbers and expect a great run, or ride ~15 watts above my numbers and hope for the best – probably just ride my normal numbers since the heat will require being at the low end of the usual range anyway…no time for a new FTP test, that's for sure…

2. The valve on my disc was bent, so I had to replace the tube. No problem except that now I've only ridden an hour on a new tube…hopefully enough time for any installation issue to manifest…

3. The valve extender on my 808 race wheel was leaking air, so I had to redo the Teflon tape. In doing that I thought I pinched the tube with the tire levers, so I decided to put in a new tube. And then when I re-inflated the wheel, rim tape was poking out of the rim. So I needed to re-do it again. Hopefully it's all done correctly…

4. The shifting on my disc was terrible…misses, skipping, strange noises, etc. I was able to get that taken care of at the shop on my way home.

So let the paranoia about getting a flat begin!!!!!!!

Overall ride 51:30, NP 223 (IF 0.878), TSS 65.2. Distance 17.62 miles, avg 20.5mph.

Warmup

- 10' – NP: 166 (IF 0.653), VI 1.05, HR 111/121, cad 78, 17.2mph

- 3x1'(1') @ AP 291, 299, 322

Intervals

8'(2.5') @z4 – NP: 244 (IF 0.961), VI 1.01, HR 140/152, cad 90, 24.3mph

8'(3.5') @z4 – NP: 249 (IF 0.982), VI 1.00, HR 147/153, cad 91, 22.1mph

8'(5') @z4 – NP: 243 (IF 0.958), VI 1.00, HR 147/154, cad 89, 23.8mph

The run was not really a brick since I stopped at the bike shop on my way home. I used the shoes I'll use on Sunday and had the elastic laces installed so I could slip them on and make sure the tension was good.

I had to cut this one short from the scheduled 30' due to the car waiting to take me to ORD. This proved to be a good call, because there ended up being a ton of traffic and the plane was almost done boarding when I showed up. As usual when the run gets cut short, I dialed up the intensity and just ran the whole thing at a strong z4. It's funny how a 7' z4 interval kills me on a normal running day but on a really short brick I can let it rip with 22' @z4 and feel pretty good the whole way.

Overall 3.52 miles in 22:25, 6:22 pace. Current z4=6:43.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

3:18.0

6:39

3:24.9

6:30

3:05.1

6:23

1:37.7

6:24

1:32.8

6:34

3:09.6

6:20

3:20.0

6:15

2:56.7

6:00

• Options

@ Matt - the shake up ride sounds nerve racking.  Can you just buy a new valve extender and stem?  have you triued re-calibrating one more time after the ride to see if the first pass was just a fluke?

My week 18 long run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186609414

30’ at Z1

20’ at Z2 target: 7:30, NGP 7:22

(5’)

15’ at Z3 target 7:14  NGP 7:05 (Z4 actual)

(5’)

………..no wonder the Z3 interval felt like hell……..  J
  • Options
    @ Matt -- I'm rooting for you and hoping that your bike holds up. I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Options
    AM - 7 miles in the rain with avg HR = 129
    PM - 60 mins on the bike with about 35 total at Z3. Out of mojo and need to hit the sack early.
  • Options
    @ Matt, now that your problems are all behind you crush the competition this weekend!
    @ William, go get em man!
    @ Shaughn, you're faster than you know, way to nail the run!
    @ Paul, nice work, now take a break!

It was warm here today and my stomach was off. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary so I'm not sure what was up. I started out trying to do the prescribed intervals but backed off in the end and just did a standard long run. Garmin site is down again but I did a little over 13 miles in a little over 100 minutes. Nothing special about it. Looking forward to the final RR Saturday!
  • Options
    Today was to be a run interval session and a swim. Did them back to back due to schedule.
    Felt a bit salty today so I went for and exceeded my z5 pace instead of z4 on the run. It was hot! I weighted in before and after rand dropped 2 lbs of water in 45min.
    The swim happened. No fireworks but the work got done. I am starting to get pretty amped for Mt Tremblant in a little over 2 weeks!
  • Options
    Last workout before Kansas. I was able to hit the pool after getting back from the airport this afternoon. Short 1600 yds. I shared a lane with a guy who was MOTORING…doing 100's at what must have been 1:15 or so.

Overall 1600 yd in 32:19 (avg pace 1:58/100yd, incl rest intervals). Took 1:00 rest between each MS. Avg efficiency 36. Avg. 9.7 strokes per length in 25 yd pool. Actually the consistency in strokes/length today was pretty remarkable, look at the chart! Some issue with the last lap b/c I forgot to stop my watch when I got out of the pool and it triggered an extra 50 yd. Oops.

Paces:
    W/U 300 – 1:33, then rested for 1:00
    MS1: 6x150(30) as 100 race pace / 50 easy – 1:31, 1:33, 1:33, 1:33, 1:32, 1:32
    MS2: 8x25(15) odds as sprint, evens as easy
    Sprints – 1:20, 1:20, 1:21, 1:20
    Easys – 1:28, 1:27, 1:31, 1:29
    C/D 200 – 1:33

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186708291
  • Options
    @ Matt - Good luck in Kansas. I cant get my garmin to give me good pool data. It is always telling me that I sam and extra lap or two. All I can figure is that my stroke is so bad that it is confusing the device!

Today is supposed to be a shortish recovery run and a 3rd swim. I am skipping both and replacing with a massage and a nap. I have been waking up at night a bunch over the past few nights and given that I have my last RR tomorrow and have to be up at 5am to get it done in time for family duties I have decided hat the best choice for today is rest.
  • Options

Question: I got my long run in yesterday. First time doing a long run on a Thursday. It went ok, except that I had to break up the back end of the run into intervals in order to try to keep the pace up at around HMP pace. Anyone else do that sort of thing or do you just run steady at a slower pace?

It looked something like this:

Total: 100 minutes

WU: 30'

MS: 1 x .5mi (4' RI)

1 x 1.0 mi (4')

1 x .5 mi (4') all at TP pace

Then ran remainder of time (~30min) @ HMP broken up into 4  half mile intervals

• Options

@ Enrique - Good Job..  Yes, i break up the last part of the long run into intervals too.  In fact, I think that is a key part of the training.  It gives you both mental and physical strength to be able to run fast at the end of the HIM or IM. 

• Options
    AM ... 4000 SCY followed by a 5K run
    PM ... 20 mins core and stretching

Lots of HIMs this weekend, and I'm looking forward to great EN results!