Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout Posts - Week of June18

This is race week for Doug and myself.

Doug is going to crush his first HIM because is drove the fitness during training and he is going to stay in his box, execute like and EN ninja then drop the hammer the last 4 miles of the run and take down a lot of the competition!

Open Water Swim this morning for me this morning: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/190292513

Good luck this week all!

SS

Comments

• Options
    @ Shaughn, you'll crush it too...all the hot/humid training will pay off in spades!

It's sort of race week for me too...I'll be racing an olympic-distance tri with my dad on Sunday. Its a "B" race (at most) for me since I've really been taking it easy since Kansas. But it's my dad's "A" race and I'm excited to see him rock the M6569 AG!! My brother and sister and I even got him an aero helmet for father's day!!
  • Options
    Can't wait to see this weekend's race results!

I had a high volume, high quality weekend. I planned to get up early and swim but I felt like lead this morning so ended up with a 2nd straight night of 9+ hours sleep. Getting a massage tonight then trying for one more week of high quality before I crest the hill to Muncie.

@ Matt - so cool that your Dad is out there. It encourages me to keep at it.
  • Options

How would you handle doing a 10k race on saturday given my plan has a 3hr ride scheduled for Sat with z4 work, and  30min z1/z2 run + 2.5 hr ABP ride for sunday? Any downside to just swapping the days? 

• Options
    At Rian - I would swap them. It will be hard to hammer the 3 hr ride a few hours after a 10K (assuming you are racing). But the ABP is doable then you can recover overnight and give it your best Sunday.
  • Options

@Paul: Thanks, my thoughts exactly.

Swim: 2800yd 51min. WU: 400 MS: 2x500,2x400,2x300 all at t-pace+3". Ugg. I didn't have much power, felt like a seal having seziures: flopin all over the place, but it averaged out to be about the right pacing. 

Run: 60min with 5x800m @ 6:58 or better (3:18,3:20,3:19,3:18,3:17). Ooops little fast, but man I love 800 repeats, short n sweet. 6.5 miles total. 

• Options
    @ Shaughn & Doug, looking forward to reading a RR!
    @ Matt, that's awesome that your father is into tri's too!!! Wow is all I can say!
    @ Paul, 9+ hrs sleep is great. I need some of that!
    @ Rian, nice workouts today!

Quickie report on my BBW last week. I got in a total of 231 miles which was about 45 short of my goal, but that's ok. I got in 5 good days of riding. 803 Total TSS points and 15 hrs 45 min of riding time. Bottom line is that it was not only great to get some saddle time, but it was a great mental break from work and the related stress. I was out on the road by myself the whole time but I really loved it. I tend to be more of a loner anyway when it comes to training.

Back to my HIM week 12 plan this week. Oh and I got my new tri bike fit done this weekend and put the tri bike cassette on my PT wheel so I'm ready to do some work on the my new steed. image

Only negative is that my achilles heel was hurting a bit last week so I'm going to give aquarunning a shot rather than jump into the running shoes right away. I know some others are doing it in the Haus and sounds like it really works so well see...

• Options
    Wow, lotta love in the Summer HIM Group! It's been awesome training with you guys so far... Matt, Paul, and Shaughn especially, you guys have pushed me through the last 2 months of training and I don't think I've ever been more ready for any type of race!

@ Matt, Thanks so much for all of the awesome information in your last post. I'm gonna have to read it a couple more times to get it all! I'm trying not to think too much of what I could do but what I'm supposed to be doing on race day. If I stay in my box I know that I'll be satisfied with the results. My FTP as w/Kg is 3.85, VDOT is 52. Sounds like you know just as much about the Syracuse course as I do! Wish I could've got out there and ridden on it at least once before the race but it just didn't work out.

@ Shaughn, you're gonna tear it up as well! You've put a lot of work in during brutal conditions. You're gonna be ready for anything on race day.

@ Paul, I'll try not to disappoint!
  • Options
    So, one of the guys at work knows I've been training for a HIM and asked me what was on the plan tonight. I tell him that I'm going to the pool to swim. He starts laughing because it was really nice outside and asked why I wasn't going to the lake (which is the same distance to my apartment as the gym) to swim? I thought, hmmm, that's a good question. So I got in my first OWS since 2007 or 2008? I'm really glad I did it for several reasons. #1. Tell me to go to a pool and swim 3000 yards at this point and I'll ask you what do you want me to do afterwards? But, looking at a mile swim in a lake is a completely different animal. When I got there the lifeguard was explaining what buoys I would have to swim around and I couldn't believe it. It just looks really far. As a sidenote, when I explain a marathon to people I tell them to get in their car and drive 26.2 miles. It's completely different than just saying the distance. #2. The water was really choppy. So, it was a good experience to deal with that at least once before it potentially happens in a race. #3. It was really sunny out and I've only been using clear goggles. That didn't work and will not work on race day if there's no cloud cover. I will be picking up mirrored goggles tomorrow at the tri shop! #4. In all likelihood race day will be wetsuit legal. So I swam in a wetsuit for the first time. Whoa, awesome! I now know why people like them. It definitely didn't feel like I had to work as hard. #5. There was another reason but I forgot now... I did a little less than a mile per the plan!
  • Options
    Forgot to mention...I believe Jimmy is racing this weekend as well!

@ Jimmy, we'll be expecting some great results out of you too!

@ Rian, nice work today! A little quicker? You smoked your targets.

@ Enrique, sounds like a great BBW! 803 TSS is BIG. Like you I'm a loner when it comes to training but I've never done a BBW either. I imagine that's mentally challenging to do the whole thing by yourself, way to hang tough. Take care of your heel.
  • Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 18 Jun 2012 12:33 PM

@ Matt - so cool that your Dad is out there. It encourages me to keep at it.

Hey, next time you think you're in an "old" AG, just think that of the guys 2 or 3 AGs older than you! That's him! Actually last November he did a 5k road race and won his AG (which had something like 30 people...rare at his age to get more than a handful). That was pretty cool. What was nuts was that two guys in the AG above him -- and at that point were talking "old" for real -- smoked him, time-wise.

In any case we'll see how it goes. Last year's race in his AG was decided by 30 sec. The guy who won isn't registered this year although the guy who placed 2nd is scheduled to race. I think the winner needs to go sub-3:00 so that will be tough. And of course the thing about his AG is you might just get a guy who comes out of nowhere and cleans house with a sub-7:00 run pace or something crazy. The great part is that my start time is something like 15 minutes before his, and unless something bad happens I'll do the race in about 2:15-2:20...meaning I'll be done by about when he's just a mile or two into the run and can run around the course spectating and yelling at him to run faster!!!!!

• Options
    For today's swim I used the workout in week #9 of the HIM plan. Because I dropped into the HIM plan in week #12 or 13 in the Kansas lead-up, I never did this particular workout before. It was a strange workout structure as you'll see below. Actually the workout was very hard, but the complexity of it actually keeps your mind off the difficulty.

Overall 2850 yd in 54:03 (avg pace 1:31/100yd, excl. rest intervals). Avg efficiency 37. Avg. 10.6 strokes per length in 25 yd pool.

Paces:

W/U 400 – 1:33, then rested for 1:00

MS1: 4x450 structured as follows (i.e. 4x of the following sequence):
    - 100(15) as 25 sprint / 75 easy – 1:29, 1:29, 1:29, 1:29
    - 100(15) as 50 sprint / 50 easy – 1:28, 1:29, 1:30, 1:29
    - 100(60) as 75 sprint / 25 easy – 1:26, 1:27, 1:28, 1:28
    - 100 sprint – 1:23, 1:23, 1:24, 1:24
    - 50 easy – 1:39, 1:42, 1:35, 1:37

MS2:
    2x300(30) – 1:36, 1:37

I started a 200 C/D but got a calf cramp after 50 so called it early.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/190522958
  • Options
    @ Doug, good to get in an OWS. Personally I don't do many OWS workouts because in Chicago I think the risk is much greater than the benefit. The risk is e.coli and other waterborne stuff that makes you sick. The benefit is dealing with choppy water, sunshine in your eyes and sighting. But in ChiTown you don't get any of the latter becuase you're always parallel to the shorw witha sea-wall no more than 25-50 yards away. So last year my only open water swimming was in races. I suspect that may be the same this year as well, other than some ocean swimming I did on vacation back in March.
  • Options

@ Enrique - damn fine BBW bro!

@Doug - smart to get out and do the OWS - I am going for another one tomorrow as well.

@ Jimmie - if you are racing with us this week, good luck!  I'll be sending good vibes your way.

@ Paul - when is the Munice competitor beat down show ?

@ Matt - Buffalo Springs is one of those locations where you have to go in with much respect.  Combo of elevation and temps can really take you down fast.  Given that, my goal is to race smart and not let the race crush me.  I move to Dallas from Austin last year.  I had lots of hills in Austin which served me well when I did IMLV, however, Dallas is more flat that hilly and Buffalo Springs is basically criss crossing a canyon 6 times on the bike, so, will do the best I can with that.......

Entire workout (212 watts):

Duration:                1:00:10

Work:                     765 kJ

TSS:                       56.7 (intensity factor 0.755)

Norm Power:          229

Did my sweat test this morning:

With no clothes on, weighed in at 178.4 lbs., Cycled 60 minutes, 78 degrees with fan, drank 48 ounces of water 3 (lbs)  then weighed in again at 176.8 lbs.  I will use this test to derive sweat rate and nutrition plan requirements for race……………

So I lost about 178.4 – 176.8 = 1.6 lbs = 3 lbs liquid = 4.6 lbs in one hour.

Taper is driving TSB north as planned…..

• Options
    Yes. I am @ Mt Tremblant this sunday. It will be interesting after training in 80 degree water and 95 degree air in south texas to head up to 65 degree water and 70 degree air.
    I am on day two of a short course of antibiotics. Sore throat and fever are gone. I will do NO work today. This is day 3 of rest but also the first day that I feel well enough to want to work.
    This is HIM #2 for me. It was suggested that I focus less on time goals and more on execution goals. So here is what I am shooting for:
    Swim - Find my breathing and sighting rhythm and then stay inside it. I do this breathing pattern of 2,2,2,3 strokes and sight every other time through. Not going to worry about drafting, getting an inside line. Just establishing my rhyth.
    Bike - Consistant effort. As little variation in HR from start to finish as possible. Pre EN, I would try and keep speed constant which in rolling terrain meant effort was all over the map. NOT THAT.
    Run - First 3 mi slow. Last 3 mi as fast as I can.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I showed up to EN about 5 or 6 weeks ago with the intent of getting acclimated ahead of my "A" race, the 70.3 in Austin in October. I didnt expect to feel this much faster, this much faster.
  • Options

I now have to travel to DC from tonight until Thursday so I headed out to get in a ride and brick run today. Unfortunately I had conference calls until 11am, so I started this workout as the heat of the day was hitting – reported temps of 96 degrees on-line, confirmed by my Edge 500 which showed an average of 95.6 and some periods around 100 degrees. And of course after a 2-hour ride it was 1pm when I started the brick run…yikes…

Overall ride 1:48:45, NP 221 (IF 0.872), TSS 136.7. Distance 37.58 miles, avg 20.7mph.

Warmup

- 10' – NP: 169 (IF 0.666), VI 1.08, HR 117/135, cad 81, 17.4mph

- 2x1'(1') – AP: 306, 318

Work intervals

12.5'(1') @z4 – NP: 252 (IF 0.992), VI 1.00, HR 152/160, cad 93, 22.7mph

6'(2.5') @z3 – NP: 211 (IF 0.829), VI 1.00, HR 138/147, cad 89, 19.8mph

3'(3.5') @z3/4 – NP: 235 (IF 0.927), VI 1.02, HR 142/150, cad 90, 20.1mph

21'(5') @z4 – NP: 245 (IF 0.966), VI 1.00, HR 158/169, cad 91, 22.2mph

19.5'(2.5)' @z3/4 – NP: 234 (IF 0.921), VI 1.00, HR 159/167, cad 91, 24.1mph – note, the last 10' of the interval was z4, the problem was that I started slow.

5.5'(0.5') @z3 – NP: 215 (IF 0.847), VI 1.00, HR 147/153, cad 89, 24.2mph

3' @z3 – NP: 215 (IF 0.846), VI 1.01, HR 149/154, cad 89, 24.5mph

Plus the usual junk time in the high traffic areas.

The brick run was, well, HOT. It is amazing how it impacts your paces. Overall 3.52 miles in 23:28, 6:40 pace. This is the same run I did in a pace of 6:22 two weeks ago after an hour bike and 3 weeks ago at a 6:26 pace after a bike identical to today's. And needless to say, the HR was JACKED. Current z4=6:45, z3=6:52, z2=7:09.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

3:23.8

7:03

3:33.4

6:42

3:17.9

6:48

1:39.4

6:33

1:41.1

7:00

3:16.9

6:31

3:27.9

6:30

3:07.3

6:18

• Options
    Excited to be back! (Not that 2 weeks of train-when-and-how-I-feel-like-it is all bad!) Monday was rest day due to travel. Today I did Thurs. long run as the weather is supposed to be hot n humid Wed & Thurs. (93+ degrees) Short WU then right into the 4 x 1/2mi Z4s. Walked 1/4 mi after each. Harder to hit the target pace with each one and I suspect the lack of recent speed work and the humidity did it. Then on to Z2. About 4 miles in Z2. (A little off that pace as well) 7-ish miles total, probably my longest run since my half mary in Oct. Felt pretty good!

@Matt- Just got back from some travel w/ layover in DC and it was quite hot n humid. Good luck!

Looks like some great work going on here! Looking forward to virtual training w/ you guys over the next 10 weeks!
  • Options
    Nice work everyone!

Got the bike back today from a tuneup at the LBS. I stripped it down before I brought it over so I rode it today without the computer just to get the ride in before dark. I had a headache so didn't run after. Will do it tomorrow before work.
  • Options
    @ Kim ... Welcome back!
    @ Jimmy ... That weather is to die for. You will fly under those conditions.
    @ Matt ... I lived in DC two different times for a total of six years. They can have brutal summer days.
    @ Shaughn ... Muncie is Saturday 7 July. I hope to be close to 5 hrs flat there.

Tue AM ... 94 mins on the drainer w TSS = 89.5. Just noodling the first 10 mins to calibrate the bike and get the cadence sensor working.
    Tue PM ... 15 mins core then 5 miles with 2 and 4 at 6:45 and 7:02. I wanted to break 7 on the 2nd repeat but I was tired and the shoes were soaked.
  • Options
    Hey guys, I have a race execution question I posted in the forum. If you get a chance check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks for your input!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Training/TrainingForums/tabid/101/aft/9120/Default.aspx
  • Options
    FTP Test today. Bumped up another 3 watts.

FTP Test:
    Duration: 42:08
    Work: 526 kJ
    TSS: 72.6 (intensity factor 1.017)
    Norm Power: 211
    VI: 1.02
  • Options

Man I cant wait to see what everyone does this weekend at the races. Good Luck to Doug, Shaughn, Jimmie, Matt and Dad (so cool!) and everyone else I've missed. Keeps me rev'd up.

@Enrique: Nice Bump! Gives me hope Ill see some more FTP gains in the HIM/IM cycle.

@KIm: Welcome Back!

@Doug: had to laugh at the OWS swim post the other day. I have the same thing everytime: holy smokes why do those bouys look so far away?! Can I really swim THAT far?!

Yesterdays swim was a repeat of Mondays:

2800yds: 400wu, 2x500,2x400,2x300; 50:10 -- so 1 minute faster than monday. Man that last 6-800yds felt like molassas. BUT the first 2000 felt really smooth. 

BTW, anyone know why the first 100 of my swim always feels rediculously smooth and is WAY too fast? No matter how much I concentrate on going slow its always 5-10s faster than its supposed to be and feels effortless. I know I'm fresh for the first 100, but its like I'm skimming across the water, then later I start to wallow and flail. Maybe I'm not clearing enough co2/o2 after the first few 100? 

• Options
    @ Rian, I hear you on the first 100-150 of the swim. It happens to a lot of people.
  • Options

Holy crap it is HOT here in DC. Per weather.com, 99 degrees, "feels like" 106. I couldn't run until 5pm and that was even worse…the temp ROSE throughout the day and peaked at almost 6pm!! Yikes!!

In any case, two workouts today. At lunchtime I did the same swim as the one on Monday night…strangely the plan called for the same workout twice in a week. The only difference was 2x400 instead of 2x300 for MS2. But I had a conference call so I had to skip the MS2 in any case. Workout was in my Bethesda club pool so 23.75 yd (with the Garmin set to 24 yd, so I got some "bonus" on the paces).

Overall 2112 yd in 40:34 (avg pace 1:28/100yd, excl. rest intervals). Avg efficiency 35.

Paces:

W/U 400 – 1:34, then rested for 1:00

MS1: 4x450 structured as follows (i.e. 4x of the following sequence):

- 100(15) as 25 sprint / 75 easy – 1:29, 1:29, 1:29, 1:29

- 100(15) as 50 sprint / 50 easy – 1:28, 1:30, 1:29, 1:28

- 100(60) as 75 sprint / 25 easy – 1:27, 1:27, 1:25, 1:26

- 100 sprint – 1:21, 1:22, 1:22, 1:22

C/D 200 – 1:34

Next up was the "hot run". Just brutal. But I got it done. I almost wish it was one degree warmer at 100 just so I could say it was a hundred degrees!

Overall 4.33 miles in 30:01, 6:56 pace. I took a manual split every 5 minutes plus some splits at the beginning due to an obviously incorrect GPS pickup at the start and at the end due to going under a bridge where I again thought the reception might mess up the pace.

Split

Time

Distance

Avg Pace

1:31.8

9:07

3:29.0

7:05

5:00.2

6:58

4:59.5

6:51

4:59.5

6:58

5:00.4

6:38

1:19.1

6:48

3:41.2

6:37

• Options
    Man I must be close to peak form because my throat started getting scratchy yesterday and I completely lost my voice this afternoon. Otherwise I feel OK.

Wed AM ... 4300 yards swimming followed by 2.72 miles plus run drills
    Wed PM ... 62 mins on the drainer w TSS = 46. Aerobic intervals. If I'm not sick in the morning I'll be running long.
  • Options

Okay Matt wins the award ( I would NOT have gone out on the run) , and no it doesn't matter if it was 99 or 100, in DC either is F'n hot...

@Paul: your not tapering yet are you? Cause you cant get sick till you start the taper.....well you know the drill on rest, hope its just dust in the air. 

Tonight  was my first ride this year with other triathletes, both of them in my AG doing the same HIM as I am in Aug and both doing IMAZ in Nov. We did hill climb reapeats 6x1 mile @ 6% grade with a 10 mile warm up there and 10mi cool down back. It was no contest, I was holding back a bit, but I still smoked them every repeat by at least a mintute. I worked hard to keep my Power at less than 100% FTP, but since I was supposed to do 6' ON time, it did throw in at least 1 min z5 half way up each round. Sooooo much fun.

I knew I wouldn't have time for the prescribed brick run 30' after, so I did a 60' at lunch and bumped up the 10' to 15' of z3 pacing thrown in. 

Lets see what happens to the 1:45 run tomorrow, that may be a sufferfest......

• Options
    At Rian ... Great hill workout. I am a week out from starting my taper but would rather be sick now. At St Croix I got sick the day before, raced sick, then it cleared up the next day.
  • Options
    @ Rian- Def. agree on the early swim laps feeling good n fast. If we could only bottle that! Nice bike work and sounds like a good confidence booster.

@ Matt- You are brave!

@Paul- Keep the multis and C's flowing and stay healthy!

I hit the pool last night for 8 x 100 (50 psrint, 50 ez), 8 x 50 (25 sprint, 25 ez, then 300 at T-pace. WAY too crowded in the pool but did get a lane to share with one "walker". Then headed home to the treadmill for 2 x 1mi @ Z4. nice n cool in the basement w/ fans blowing on me. (Sorry Matt!) First mi 9:55, 2nd 9:45. Felt good in my new Adidas Boston sneaks that I got in red to match my EN kit! (Important stuff here... never mind my speed, I MATCH! image

Hittin the basement again tonight for a brick...
  • Options

@Paul: Just kidding on the taper illness, but it does seem to be a phenomenon many of us experience, there's got to be something to the peaking and letting the pressure off that one's immune system reacts to....hmmm someone should do a study.

@kim nice swim workout!

Got up @4:30 to throw down 1:45 run before the heat kicks in. Got in 13.5mi  in 1:44 w 20' @ 7:06 and 20' @ 7:24.  Not too much suffering after last nights hill workout, but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop later today and to start waddling and groaning like a 90 year old. We'll see...

Have a great one, but be smart n safe with the heat wave!

• Options
    Ok, up off the mat from my taper flu. Fever is gone.
    Prior to joining EN, I thought that I was the only one that this seemed to happen to. Glad to hear that it is a "thing".
    Did a short handful of mi today before I get on a plane tomorrow.
    I have been training in 80 degree water and high 90's south texas weater to go race in 65 degree water. Race day air temp is forcast to top out at 72!!!
    Of course the hills will be bigger and everthing will be in Kilometers instead of miles. But I am much faster in Km anyway.
    Good luck to all racing this weekend!
  • Options
    Got a nice swim in yesterday. Longest so far. Stroke is feeling "normal" again. TT tomorrow so we'll see if the speed is similar as end of last season.

WU: 500

MS1: 4 x 50 (20") Descend 4 x 50 (15") Descend 4 x 50 (10") Descend Set Total: 600

MS2: 3 x 100 (20") Descend 3 x 100 (15") Descend Set Total = 600

MS3: 400 any pace you like, counting strokes and focusing on form.

CD: 100 easy

Total: ~2200

Keep up the good work everyone!