Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Workout Posts - Week of June18

2»

Comments

• Options
    No fever, but my voice is gone and I can only whisper. If I try to talk my voice cracks and goes up and down. Anyway, I still managed 13 miles on dirt trails this morning. It was slow and ugly, but I came in 6 seconds faster per mile than last week's 11 miler, and I seem to be recovering faster this week. But I need to re-evaluate this running spot. I like the dirt trails, but I'm running through the woods around a lake and the micro climate in there is MUCH, MUCH more humid than it would be if I was just running through the suburbs (which are muggy enough). I was totally soaked head to toe within 3 miles and just sloshed through the run. I'm trying to save the pounding on my legs but I'm taking a pounding from the heat stress when I run there in the summer.
  • Options
    @ Kim, yes, looks are important. That's what keeps the gear companies profitable!!
    @ Paul - take it easy man...
  • Options

I got out for my Thursday run after returning from the airport but pulled it back from 90' to 50' due to the race on Sunday. Modified the intervals from 2x7' to some short but more intense 6x3'(2').

Overall 7.38 miles in 50:01, 6:47 pace with stops for the lakefront tunnel and two extremely short water fountain stops. Current z4=6:45, z3=6:52, z2=7:09.

Warmup 10'@ 6:49

6x 3'(2') – 6:23, 6:22, 6:28, 6:27, 6:27, 6:22

(2' recoveries 7:55, 7:47, 7:53, 7:42, 7:20, 7:36)

"Remainder time" 10'@ 6:29…THAT was the toughest part of the RUN!!!!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191419126

• Options
    I've been hitting all the workouts just got a bunch of other stuff going on so haven't posted.

30 minute run in the AM yesterday, then a 1 mile OWS in the PM. Water temp was posted as 80 degrees!

45 minute bike ride today at .70 IF.

@ Paul, wow, 13 miles and you don't feel good! Get better.

@ Matt, nice paces there!
  • Options
    Little story here...Wednesday morning I'm sitting at work and I notice that I have phlegm in my throat and I can't swallow it or get it to stay down (gross, I know). I'm feeling like this for about 90 minutes and it's starting to get really annoying. So, I did what most people do nowadays, I googled, lump in throat. And aside from the various illnesses that could mean I die next week the word anxiety kept popping up. I know I've been thinking about the race and am having the normal pre-race thoughts but I didn't think it was so bad to have an actual lump in my throat 4 days before the race. It's still there today (and still very annoying). I've never had this happen before. And still, I don't feel I'm any more nervous than any of my A races the last couple of years. I'm hoping it goes away a few minutes into the swim.

Taper is going good, diet and sleep are on target and weight is holding steady. The only small concern I have is that my legs don't have as much pop as I would like. But, I have a 47 hours and 35 minutes for that to work out.

30 minute run this morning hit all the recommended zones: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191507096

Leaving in a few hours to check in at the race and then heading to the race site to do a short swim on the course weather permitting. Looks a little threatening here which is about 70 miles from the race site.
  • Options
    @ Doug, Yep, Anxiety can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, lump in throat being one of them. I don't know why but I experience shortness of breath sometimes before a big event or race. I fee like I need to take a deep breath all the time. It goes away though.

Good luck with the race!!
  • Options
    All,

I did my first ever aqua jog yesterday. I'm doing this to give my achilles some rest time. It flared up really bad just before my BBW and as the week of riding-only went forward, the tendon was feeling better and better so I want to continue that by not running on it.

I did only 30 minutes due to time constraints, but will be doing some longer sessions to replace my plan run workouts. Wish me luck with this and I really hope to not lose much run fitness.

• Options
    It's Race Time: Good luck to all of you racing Buffalo Springs, Mont-Tremblant and Syracuse. How exciting!! I just picked up new race tires at lunch...St Croix roads put too many nicks in the old ones to trust them. Earlier in the week I got some polarized swim goggles (Zoggs) since the return leg on the Muncie swim is direct into the sun.

I think I bottomed out this morning on being sick and am definitely recovering...my voice is back. Slept 2 more hours instead of going swimming, but I did drag my butt outside and ran 4.4 miles. We are in a rain pattern so the humidity is sky high. This has been a crap week for swimming, but I'm going to fix that next week.

@ Doug - my pre-race butterflies all croaked about 20 years ago. They flutter like the ones you see pinned down and framed. It's just a race. The only thing that makes me anxious now is a full Ironman...especially the day before when the full weight of what you are about to do sinks in. Anyway, once you start, it's time to get to work and EXECUTE!
  • Options
    @ Matt- Way to get it done with travel!

@Enrique- I recall you had some achilles issues brewing in the OS, right? Good idea on the water walking!

@ Paul- Glad you are feeling better!

@Doug- I am sure your legs will "pop" when you need 'em!

Did brick on the trainer last night due to the heat. It has been over 2 weeks since I did a structured bike WKO and it HURT!

8' @ .975 IF
    10' @ .90IF + (I screwed up the intervals and included the rest in the 2nd interval)
    12' @ .903 IF
    8' @ .925

Quick 10' Z3 on the 'mill.

Rearranging weekend training a bit. Moving Big Training Day to Sunday and doing an Oly instead. (A training day with food, water and spectators!)

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
  • Options
    Keep up the good work everyone! Checked in at the race today then went down to the race site. The beach was closed and they had a bunch of signs telling "triathletes" not to swim. Only saw one buoy out there, so didn't get the swim in. No big deal. Saw a bunch of other athletes checking out the site, running, and biking.

Question for everyone. I saw the same question posted somewhere else before but can't find it. I got the timing chip with the velcro strap and am a little concerned...Does that thing really hold the chip for the race? I don't need the chip to fall to the bottom of the reservoir!
  • Options
    The timing chip will be fine. If you get paranoid (like I do), you can use a safety pin in addition in case the velcro fails. I only do this if it's a no-wetsuit swim.
  • Options
    Two short workouts today to stay fresh before Sunday's race. A quick 35 min bike, then a 1500 yd swim. When I went to put my front wheel on it was flat…strange. So I might use the 1080 on Sunday if it's not windy, for no other reason than it's been ridden successfully on that tire / tube. Hmmm.

An easy ride 35:08 @ 221 watts, IF 0.869, TSS 43.4. Distance 11.67 miles, avg 19.9mph.

Warmup
    - 10' – NP: 161 (IF 0.634), VI 1.08, HR 119/130, cad 75, 17.0mph
    - 3x1'(1') – AP 387, 312, 310

Intervals
    - 11'(1') @z4 – NP: 242 (IF 0.952), VI 1.00, 149/158, cad 88, 23.9mph
    - 2.5 @z4 – NP: 268 (IF 1.054), VI 1.00, 151/159, cad 92, 22.3mph

Ride easy back home – 6' @z2 – NP: 180 (IF 0.798), VI 1.21, 128/158, cad 86, 17.4mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191553289

Then later before dinner, a nice 1500 swim. I started with a couple of mid-distance sets then did some speedy stuff to get the muscles firing.

Overall 1500 m in 27:43, avg 1:30/100 (excl rest intervals). Avg efficiency 36, 10.0 strokes per length. 25 yd pool.

Paces:
    Warmup 300 – 1:34
    1x200(30) – 1:33
    1x300(30) – 1:33
    5x100(20), as 50 hard / 50 easy – 1:29, 1:28, 1:28, 1:28, 1:28
    4x50(20), as 25 hard / 25 easy – 1:24, 1:23, 1:24, 1:23

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/191682505

• Options

Good luck all!

Just swam about 1,000M in Buffalo Springs lake early  - off to the Big breakfast now.

Saturday – 1 day out      

Packet pickup at hotel after breakfast

10 – 12:30 visit race site, bike up 1st hill or so, swim in lake briefly

`                                               1 pm – lunch at Orlandos’ near hotel

PM – Pool or movie with kids

6 PM - dinner

8 PM – bag/list check/protein shake

9 PM to bed

Sunday Race Day – BS Sleeper cell activation

4:00 – 4:20           Eat breakfast

4:30 – 5:00           Travel to race site

5:00 – 6:00           walk to transition, body markings, set up, bathroom, wet suit on…….

6:25                        Power Gel with 8 oz water

6:42                        Swim Wave 6 start time                                               

<td valign="bottom" width="85" nowrap="nowrap" style="border-bottom: #f0f0f0; border-left: #f0f0f0; padding-bottom: 0in; background-color: transparent; padding-left: 5.4pt; width: 64pt; p

Watts NP

Race

Fluid

CHO

Cal

Sodium

Notes

T1

1/2 Pwr Bar

0:30

IM Perform

1 succeed

0:40

Pwr Gel Caf

1:00

IM Perform

1 succeed

1:20

Pwr Gel Caf

1:30

IM Perform

1 succeed

2:00

Pwr Gel Caf

260 - 265

2:00

IM Perform

1 succeed

260 - 265

2:30

IM Perform

260 - 265

2:40+

Pwr Gel Caf

Bike

per/hour

T2

Water

1 succeed

Pace

Miles

8:00 - 8:30

3:20

Water

6 ounces of liquid / mile if possible

3:20

Pwr Gel Caf

3:40

Water

1 succeed

8:00

3:40

3 Cliff Blocks

• Options

Big Day Tomorrow for lots of you: GOOD LUCK, and have FUN!  Stay in the box! Race your race and no one else's. Did I say have fun? Have FUN!

I'm flip-flopping Sat and Sun workouts, originally to do a 10K this am, but decided to bag that, my legs are feeling like lead and energy was just too low for that. But it works out because the local crew of IMAZ guys are riding a 3hr ride tomorrow early, psyched to have some ride partners for a longer one. Sould be a good one too, last 15 miles are 2400' of climbing through the lava fields back to the car.

So 2hr ABP this am: Distance 40.5m, IF .85,  VI 1.02, Gain 1926ft, Avg 20.3mph  

• Options
    Little swim and course recon at mt tremblant. This water is no where near the advertised 65 degrees. 75 maybe. Fine with me. Bike pick up from transport and checked in.
    Team dinner at 5...
    Good luck to all tomorrow.
  • Options
    Course recon done, looks like a perfect course for a PR, ha ha. Saw the swim course today, I still can't believe how far a mile looks in the water (or 1.2 in this case)! Water temp was 73 today so it should be wetsuit legal. Weather is supposed to peak at mid 70's tomorrow so that will be nice. It was cool walking through the transition area and checking out all the bikes, wow, there are some really nice rides! Makes me wish I had a lot more money to buy a couple more, ha ha. I saw a lot of people biking and running, made me itch to get out there and start racing. I know the legs will be ready tomorrow!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow! Lets show 'em how we roll!
  • Options
    Good luck guys. Remember, pics or it didn't happen!

RR in hell today. Actually it was in South Georgia. Drove up last night to visit with my in laws and oldest son. Slept in this morning trying to shake my cold so I didn't start until 9am. I selected a 63 mile rural route to get to my sister in laws house. It's only 20 miles by car so I started by heading in the wrong direction then swinging around in a large semi circle. The heat index was going to hit 106 for this ride and I was only familiar with part of the route. I was counting on getting a second refill of drinks near 40 miles in an unincorporated town. As I came into it, I noticed a Chevron sign up ahead ... yes! But it was out of business. So I'm looking around for a water spigot before I hit the next rural stretch. Nothing...then I spot a case of water in front of the volunteer fire department. Yes, I took one, put a dollar in the case along with the empty bottle. So I continue to the south into the wind and start rationing my remaining water. By 50 miles I'm out and thinking about calling the cavalry, but I wanted my 56 mile split so I pressed forward and came thru in 2:36. Then I stopped and called the wife who was already at my destination. Naturally I came across a food mart just one mile later. I slugged down a large drink plus one more in the last few miles. But the damage was done and I needed a 20 min transition to try and rehydrate before I started running in the 7th level of Dante's Inferno. I made 5.53 miles at 8:30 pace before I came back by the house and pulled the plug.

Ive only swum one time this week so I went to a pool late in the afternoon. As soon as I put my foot in the water - Boom! - thunder and the pool is cleared. Yeah, thats my day.
  • Options

Good luck racIng today!

@ Paul, sounds like a HOT run!!

yesterday I went out and did a long bike workout while also doing a recon of the race course of my HIM in August. Also rode my new TT bike first time outside. Long story short, got lost. Rode 78 instead of 56 miles. Stiff neck. A little sunburned. Realized that standard crank wih a 12-23 doesn't cut it with hills. Despite this, great ride. Great weather, scenery. Love new bike.  Now to figure out how to change to compact + new cassette!

• Options
    I'm done! 4:56 for 23rd AG.
  • Options

@Doug: WHOA! THAT is AWESOME! Well done! If that time was 23rd AG it must have been a very competitive field.

• Options
    Yeah sounds like a tough AG!
  • Options
    Posted By Kim DuBord on 22 Jun 2012 04:11 PM

@Enrique- I recall you had some achilles issues brewing in the OS, right? Good idea on the water walking! 

Yes, it got better after the OS then flared up again just before the BBW.  But now after 2 weeks of no running it's feeling great again.  I'll really take it slow this time and do aqua running for a couple weeks then slowly re-integrate running.  I have lots of time so I'm not in any hurry. 

• Options

Great job to all the racers yesterday!  

@Enrique - Have you looked into A.R.T (Active Release Therapy)? Its kinda like a trigger point release, deep tissue technique. Usually done by a Chiro. I had really good results with my chronic IT Band issues, finally went away completely. The theory is you get scar tissue buildup on the muscle / tendon overlap or interface with lots of hard interval work, and sometimes you need someone to get in there and manually release the binding between the two. I found out about it here in the forums, you might consider giving it a try if you can find a certified practicioner up there. http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp 

Sunday, up @ 4am for a group ride in the painted desert. Awesome ride, my new favorite in fact. The first 25 miles is long steady down hill, we averaged 25 mph the first hour, with peaks up to 50mph. Then we bottom out and ride rolling hills past 1000 year old pueblo ruins and canyons. Then the 20 mile climb 2500' winding up through a field of cinder cones and lava flows back to the pine trees. The last 15 miles avg 3% with some brutal hear breakers at 6-8%. Really wished I had a compact gear set!  Anyone wants to visit Flagstaff this is must do ride.

Stats: 49.3mi, 2:44, 18mph, IF .82, VI 1.2, NP 201, Gain 3004ft. 

• Options
    @Paul- way to stick it out. We've all had those days when nothing seems to go right. (Preferably not on race day though!)

@Enrique- Getting lost sucks, but at least you got in some more miles! I'm sure you'll tweak the new bike and it will be perfect!

@Doug- Fantastic job!

@Rian- 4am is ugly! Sounds liek a great ride!

I swapped my planned Big Training Day with an Oly on Sunday. Pretty pleased with how I did. Full report here: http://endurancenation.us.dnnmax.com/Training/TrainingForums/tabid/101/aft/9165/Default.aspx
  • Options
    @ Rian - Thanks for the tip about ART.
  • Options
    Great job everyone! And way to go Doug on your first HIM! The male AGs from 30 through 44 are notoriously competitive. Plus, like any AG, you never know who's going to show up. The metric can't be placing or even finishing time...it's got to be about how well you executed and what you learned.

As for me, I had an interesting race...full report is up in the forums: http://members.endurancenation.us/Training/TrainingForums/tabid/101/aft/9172/Default.aspx

Cheers!