Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Week of July 16th

Special Congratulations to Matt and Kim both crushing their races and truly representing strong!

@Paul - Way to take the hits and get it done regardless of the brutal conditions!!  Amazingly crazy strong work bro!

Swam 2,700M this morning then 20' of CORE....

Comments

• Options
    Mon AM - 2,500 yards in the pool followed by my first full physical in 7 years. If I smoked, I think I would need to light up after that experience. Nuff said.
  • Options
    Rest day. First full rest day in a couple of weeks. I was tired going in to Sunday's run. I got through it but by the end of the day I was limping from my tendonitis.
    By 4pm I am walking almost normally. Running is on hold till the pain is gone.
    The good news is that since I had a day of full rest I will be in position to do a bike FTP test in the morning. Big fun!
  • Options

Rest day for me too.  I raced the Racine HIM yesterday and finished in 5:15:42, good for 2/50 in M55-59 AG and 231/2227 overall.  I was really surprised by my 2nd place finish and felt good about my race execution.  Best part - no re-injuries of my heel.  Worse part - only 1 slot for the 70.3 Vegas race and the 1st place guy took it, and no roll down.  Full race report to follow.  It was great to see and meet so many ENers at this race.  Fun to get the on-course cheering from your teammates.

• Options
    Bruce - outstanding race! I'm sorry you didn't get the slot...I bet you would roll over me at Vegas. OK, so maybe I'm not sorry since I won't have to worry about getting crushed by one more guy in the field. Truly though, I'm sure you'll snag one next year if you aren't going to Kona instead. All the best.
  • Options
    Wow. Excellent time Bruce! I'm in awe!
  • Options
    @Matt- CONGRATS! Great race!

@Paul- Should you send the dr. flowers? image

@ Jimmy- rest hard

@ Bruce- NICE! Congrats! And rest hard!

Started new swim group last night. Just 5 sessions but a much smaller group (5-8 people) so more personal attention. Made some great tweaks to my stroke already. Having the coach underwater checking out your stroke is priceless. A lot of time spent on drills and tweaking vs. swimming but prob managed maybe 1,600yds.
  • Options

Good morning Iron Peeps!

@ Bruce - WOW......a veteran performance for sure!  Congrats!

Mind numbing 2X20s for me this morning early - Heat/Hill repeats tonight.

26+ miles -

Interval 1: 

Duration: 20:01 

Work: 350 kJ 

TSS: 33.4 (intensity factor 1) 

Norm Power: 291

nterval 3: 

Duration: 20:01 

Work: 345 kJ 

TSS: 32.3 (intensity factor 0.984) 

Norm Power: 286

Entire workout (238 watts): 

Duration: 1:10:11 

Work: 1003 kJ 

TSS: 93.3 (intensity factor 0.896) 

Norm Power: 261

• Options
    FTP test done.
    and I weight 162.
    Guess this helps eexplain why I cant get a 70.3 done in less than 6 hrs.
  • Options
    @ Kim - I'm trying to forget that yesterday even happened.

@ Shaughn - I hate 2 x 20's.

Mon PM - core work
    Tue AM - 7 mile run in 93% humidity. 5 pick-ups in the first 20 mins then 5 x 4mins Z4 w 2 mins R. When it was over, I probably looked like Sponge Bob after being stepped on by the Jolly Green Giant.
  • Options
    Got a 2100 yd swim in last night... supposed to be longer, but my left calf was not going along and decided to cramp up bad. That's ok. Tonight another swim....

@Jimmy - I weigh same as you... 200 FTP isn't bad. I started in January at 182 FTP... now at 221. I'm sure yours will go up with the EN training plans.
  • Options
    Ok then Enrique. I will come back to you on that...
    Great race bruce. When y'all are competing in your ag, are you still racing your race or are you racing to beat the other guys at the top of your ag?
    Swim at lunch. 5x400. Mission completed.
    Achilles are better. Gonna run in the morning.
  • Options
    Hey guys, checking back in. Thanks again for all the encouragement. But of course now it is gametime. It is now T-8 weeks to Vegas so I'm back on the structured half-iron plan, dropping into week 13 of 20. I bike-commuted to work today and had a good swim this evening, first workout since Racine on Sunday. Took a bit to get going but got into the endurance set and felt good.

Overall 3300 yd in 59:10, avg pace 1:36/100yd, excl. rest intervals. Avg efficiency 37, 9.9 strokes per length. Took 1:00 rest between each MS. 25 yd pool.

Paces:

Warmup 400 – 1:38

MS1:
    - 2x500(20) – 1:37, 1:36
    - 2x400(15) – 1:36, 1:37
    - 2x300(10) – 1:36, 1:36

MS2: 6x 50(20) as odds hard, evens easy
    - hard intervals – 1:23, 1:24, 1:22
    - easy intervals – 1:31, 1:31, 1:32

Cooldown 200 – 1:35

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200405905
  • Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 16 Jul 2012 07:29 PM

Bruce - outstanding race! I'm sorry you didn't get the slot...I bet you would roll over me at Vegas. OK, so maybe I'm not sorry since I won't have to worry about getting crushed by one more guy in the field. Truly though, I'm sure you'll snag one next year if you aren't going to Kona instead. All the best.

Actually a Paul / Bruce smackdown is awesome to contemplate. Bruce's 5:15 is fast but Racine is a fast course compared to St Croix and San Juan. When I heard the M5559 winner on Sunday took the only slot I was disappointed for Bruce, but I wasn't even thinking that Bruce vs. Paul in Vegas would be really quite epic. We really ought to get you guys on the same course some time!!

• Options
    Posted By jimmy augustine on 17 Jul 2012 10:09 AM

FTP test done.

and I weight 162.

Guess this helps eexplain why I cant get a 70.3 done in less than 6 hrs.

My first EnduranceNation FTP test was 211. By the end of that OutSeason it was 248. If you follow the plans and do the work it will go up. In particular when you do the OutSeason.

• Options
    Hey Matt, I'm always game to race, but I'm still thinking about what I want to do next year. My latest guess is the Gulf Coast Tri, Muncie, and IM Sweden. In another 6 weeks all will be clear. I will go all out at Vegas this year but it's more of a C race in that my IM Cozumel training comes first. I'm already on that plan. Vegas is more about SAUs. I'll probably have the same goal as when I race Clearwater...top half of AG.

Bruce ... Come to Muncie next year.
  • Options

@ all- thanks for the kind words.  I had a really good day and many things went my way and few things didn't.   Just had a bit of luck with me on Sunday. 

@ Paul - I'll think about Muncie.  Frankly, I'm torn about my plans for next year.  One part of me wants to do 2 IMs (WI & AZ).  Another part of me says let's just have lots fo fun racing many local Olys and 2 or 3 HIMs.  I'll have to sleep on it for awhile.

Good luck to all with your training this week.  I'm back at it tomorrow after 2 days of resting. 

• Options

@ Jimmy - when I race, I make a plan and try to stick to it as best I can.  That's all I can control.  But it is a race, and sometimes the race situation dictates different strategies and tactics.  I clearly am aware of the other people in my AG and keep a keen eye peeled for them.  Sometimes you just have to race them and alter your plan.  You might want to read my Racine race report to see how conditions in that race required my to adjust my plan for the competitive situation.

• Options
    @Bruce, read your Race Report... Great job!

Got a bike workout today in.

WU: 20'
    MS: 8' @ 220w (2')
    12' @ 220w (3')
    (supposed to be 3 intervals, but didn't have enough energy for last interval)
    CD: 10'

• Options

@ Jimmy - solid work ont he FTP test!  Matt said it best - be true to yourself, stay true to the plan, do the work and you will see the gains over time.  Stay close to this group of veterans along the way.

I had 5 miles worth of Hill repeats last night (50” sprinting up) then 2’ walking/jogging recoveries.   Felt tough in the evening after working all day and having already done the 2X20s earlier in the morning. Was hot but dry out. http://app.strava.com/runs/13736954

This morning I was moving a bit slower but did manage myself to the pool for 2,200M and core work: http://app.strava.com/swims/13737103

3X1s on the treadmill yet to go today……

Good luck today all!
  • Options
    @ Bruce - read your report. That was really interesting.
    Regarding your run pacing, if I wasa reading right, your plan was to go the first few mi at your long run pace + 20 sec or so then pick up to your z1 pace and then push harder at the finish.
    Is that correct?
  • Options

Tough business out there at lunch today. NOAA had us at a 95 heat index at that time of day. I think I’ll stop sweating by 5 pm maybe…….had to walk the 4’ recoveries to get the HR down to 130 bpm due to the heat.

I had 3 X 1s and gave myself a Z4 target of 8:00 min / mile. NGPs were: 7:51, 7:19 and 7:12……too fast in that heat which is why I ended up walking the recoveries. 8:30 overall NGP.
  • Options
    @shaughn - what is ngp?
    3x1mi in a 60 min run. Same as shaughn's. Also in texas... I was slower than tp should be at 8:03, 8:01, and 8:08 but my heart rate was above threshold by the end of the third interval so the effort was there. Covered 6.5mi in 59min all told.
    I think that this style of running will pay off for me. I am used to intervals, but with my old training group we would do the 3x1mi on 4 min rest with the rest as a full stop. And no 15 min run before or another 10 min run after. This is way harder for me.
    At lunch I did "core work" (my non denominational term for Crossfit) which included a 2k row for time and a mess of dead lifts and burpees.
  • Options
    @ Shaughn & Jimmy- WTG in the heat.

Quick WKOs for me tonight:
    VO2 Bike (Hill repeats)
    #1: 2:30 @ 1.22IF
    #2: 2:30 @ 1.217IF
    #3: 2' @ 1.25

Then treadmill. Was supposed to be 2 x 1 mi (make-up from Mon.) but I told myself if I did mile 1 in less than 9:30, I would do the other mile outside w/ the dog (at "puppy pace") Did mile in 9:26 and then took dog out for other mile. (Got some SAUs and DAUs- Dog Approval Units)

Looking forward to it cooling off for the rest of the week, esp. for the long run tomorrow...
  • Options
    Great work team. Had training challenges today.

Swim - 0 yards. Got up early and walked out at 5:17am only to be greeted by Flash, Boom, Cloudburst. Went straight back to bed.

PM ... 60 mins hard on the trainer. Blew tube at 38 mins in and it took me about 7 mins to change it since I had to go out to the garage to round up a tube and tire levers. 5K run at Z1/Z2 after.
  • Options
    @Kim - Good for you for taking the dog out! It drives me crazy that I can do all this training but not walk the dog.
  • Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 18 Jul 2012 09:06 PM

60 mins hard on the trainer. Blew tube at 38 mins in

if you are blowing tubes on the trainer you know you are hard core!

• Options
    Trainer ride today due to t-storms and schedule issues. Wow, I had forgotten how hard those indoor trainer rides are compared with the outdoor workouts. Just brutal. The basement averaged 78 degrees so it was HOT and I was soaked by the end. The workout called for 7' of z5 time but I did 4x2'(2') so ended up with 8' total. Then I did the "remainder" time – a brutal 22' – in two chunks as 2x10'(2'). All the below numbers are relative to my outdoor FTP and I have to say there is NO WAY my indoor isn't 10-15 watts lower!

Overall 60' @ 221 watts, IF 0.869. Full warmup of 10' easy then 3x3'(1') @ z3. Then 8' of z5 time, structured as described above:

Target 120% = 303 watts
    AP: 319, 315, 312, 321
    HR avg: 153, 155, 162, 168
    HR max: 162, 172, 178, 183
    Cadence avg: 90, 92, 93, 94

Remainder
    10' @z3: NP 217 (IF 0.855), HR 162/172, cad 89
    10' @z3: NP 223 (IF 0.879), HR 165/172, cad 85

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200752134
  • Options
    Got a swim in 2700 yds.

Wu 200
    Ms. 8 x 400
    Cd 100

Ran 6 minutes without pain.... Progress.
  • Options
    @ Matt - I wish. I changed wheels/tires on the bike trainer the night before and must not have seated the tire correctly. I felt the wobble start when I was in a Z4 interval and jumped off the bike, saw the bubble, but it blew before I could let any air out. However, I did blow an orange Conti Trainer TIRE a couple years ago ... I was so proud!

Thu AM - 10.03 miles the EN way. Humidity between 87-90%. Overall not fast, but I hit the Z2/Z3 segments correctly and negative split the workout by 30 seconds. I was just pleased that my heart rate did not decouple in the heat.
  • Options

@ jimmy - Yes.  That is the standard EN race pace guidance.  You can find it in the Wiki.