Home Summer HIM Training 2012 Group Discussion - Summer HIM Training 2012
Options

Week of July 16th

13»

Comments

• Options
    125min run today. 9.12 mi.
    There was supposed to be 3x1mi intervals at tp in there but I chickened out. Actually, I was hurting pretty bad when the alarm went off so the deal I made with myself was that we would go for the run and the pace would be whatever the pace was. I think after listening to mr garmin chirp at me for 2.5hrs yesterday to either apply more power or less power that I just didn't want to have to think.
    Anyway, after it was over I was comparing the data to last sunday's 75min run that DID have 3mi worth of tp intervals in it.
    Turns out that steady effort on the run is faster than surges. I ran longer, with 4x the elevation change and was 13sec/mi faster with an avg hr 2bpm slower. Kinda figured that would be the case but it was interesting to see it none the less.
    Helps cement the notion that "banking time" on the run does not work.
    Now to go walk the dog (thx kim!)
  • Options

Weekend of the Tres Matteos in Chicago, it must be great to have good workout partners, especially ENers! I do the same as Ward on the weekends, everyone else is a late sleeper in my house, so If I hit the road by 6 I still get the first cup of coffee from the pot when I get home, and no-one even know I was gone. Built in SAU. 

Jimmy: Good Job Knockn it out!

Paul: 50 minute drive for hill work?! Yikes. Thats dedication. 

Week 17 of HIM complete. Doubled my TSS and hours over my vacation weeks, but overall I feel really good. Legs are little tired today, it was hard to maintain that ABP after yesterdays z4 work. Upcoming week is RR#2, looking forward to seeing how the new bike compares to the first RR. 

Today

Run: 3.88m, 33:28

Bike: 40.2mi, 2:00

• Options

@ Paul...not sure the logic there. Matt has a coach who manages all that. Last time I rode with him (about a month and a half or so ago) it was 3x20'(10')@90%. Apparently he's doing a lot of FTP work at 90%, and in some workouts 6x20'@90%. Funny about the cassette. I ran a 12-23 at Vegas last year because I forgot to change it off my disc wheel and swore I wouldn't make that mistake again, only to do the exact same thing in Kansas. Stupid. For Vegas this year I'm planning to run an 11-25. I think the 11t is important bcause there are a lot of descents and no flats. Choosing between a 25t vs. a 27t or even 28t just depends on how strong you are. I run a compact crank so 34t-25t should be pleny for me. The Vegas course does not have a lot of really steep grades. Rather the difficulty is in the fact that elevation change is a constant and you are always climbing or descending. I already bought the cassette so I should put it on the wheel so I don't forget....