Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas
Options

IMTX March 18th-24th thread...

Comments

• Options

Big steak dinner last evening (and 3 G&T's) fueled my workout this morning...2mile warmup with strides...3x1mi. (6:55's) with 3:00/400 jog recovery...plus cooldown....felt good especially for a biz trip workout on the hotel TM.

@Roy...tough morning...enjoyed the description....black dragon has hung my carcass enough times. 

@JK & Roy ...I'm definitely with Tim on TrainerRoad....I have a powermeter...and just the plain variety of pre-structured workouts is enough to make it worthwhile...and Roy...I would say thay you would be challenged by the "pretty lines on the screen"...because when you use their workouts...you're not just watching your power output as a pretty line...you're being challenged to meet their lines/power levels....

..if you only have to train inside once and awhile...no great deal...but if you have to train inside multiple times a week over months....it is definitely worthwhile....

NOTE: you have to unconstrain your mind with regard to the workout structure....if you think that the only way to achieve the goals of the workout is to do it as EN structures it...then you may not be comfortabel with the variety available...but 2x20+5 or 10-15-20 sets are not the only way to skin the cat....and that is the power of the TrainerRoad workouts. 

• Options
    WKOs this week have been all over the place. Between work and getting ready to leave for vacation, Ive had to try to squeeze things in. Haven't run since Saturday. Did bike FTP last night. Hoping to sneak in 2-3 hour ride before we leave because will miss two weekends worth of riding. Next week will be a run focus block. Plan is confusing me. says we're on week 12 with 8 weeks to go but its actually 9 weeks till go time. Coming up fast.

Good training everybody
  • Options
    Great run and OK ride yesterday. Looking forward to the pool at lunch and some much missed (and needed) core work tonight.
  • Options

@JK and all....WE ARE DEFINITELY ON WEEK 12 OF THE PLAN....

If you count this week there are 9 weeks to race day....however the plan is indicating Week 12 with 8 weeks to go....after this week....ie. it is not counting the current week in the countdown...ie. once you complete this week (Week 12) there are 8 more to go. 

This has been a public service announcement and we will now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.

Good work everyone!

• Options
    9 weeks to race day , take out the last 2 for taper , we got 7 weeks to get the real WORK done!

This am... 1hr on the TM 7.7 miles w/4 x1 Z4 , 33minutes in the pool for 1700yds... I'm tired !

Good news is that its warming up to 40 degrees so the snow should melt for my HM on Sunday!
  • Options

@ALL, thanks for the great feedback on TR. I'll have to give it a run next month once I get my living quarters situated. How many people use the TR workouts to replace the EN workouts? Or maybe supplement them with the EN workouts? Just wondering how long everyone has been using the EN workouts and if they get burned out or hit a brick wall at some point.

Really enjoyed the AM run this morning in the Austin heat...actually it was very cool, and perfect for a run. Didn't burn my self out, so I ran out 15' @ z3 and 15' @ z2. 

Too bade I'm on my way back to colder temperatures. Oh well, it'll warm up soon.

• Options
    @Ryan ... Your options are endless. You can do the OS EN workouts within TR, you can find plenty of v02 , ftp , endurance workouts in TR that are very similar to EN like 2 x 20 FTP , 3 x15 , etc, you can modify any that you want, or build your own from scratch.
  • Options
    2800 yards in the pool late last night. w/u, 5x200 and 10x100, cd. All working intervals around 1:35-37. Today will be an off day due to work. Going to see how creative I can get with Friday. May try to be a triple threat that day, have to see how work conflicts with training.

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    Hey guys. I noticed that the online plan for today's run seems to be goofy. It has next week's run intervals, but the coach's notes are those for the 5k time trial. Since it's test week, I'm going with the 5k test. How about everyone else?
  • Options
    OK let's talk swim this morning.

1. (For you 910X users)->> My SWOLF and efficiency went through the roof in last nights swim. The secret? I had been plugging 25 YARDS into my Garmin whereas I've always been swimming in a 25 METER pool. I was told it was 25 yards a long time ago and my numbers never really matched my races...just figured I was swimming a "race pace" lol. Anyway, you're all welcome for that piece of advice.

2. I have been following my plan, when it comes to swim, to the letter. I've noticed RnP never use toys...swim buoys, bands, etc. I think I've used a kickboard once. I know @Tim and @Joseph use training aids a bunch...would like just a general consensus on plus/minus'.

D
  • Options

This mornings swim...2700 total.....as  200 warmup/600 pull/4x25 side kick drill/*NEW* 8x25 with Ankle Bands/ 6x100/1x600 steady/4x50Hard/200 mixed cooldown

@ Dwight....honestly this is the first year, and really only in the last month... I have tried Swim Aids...ie. buoy and now Ankle Bands....& fins....the verdict is out but I like what I see/feel so far...FYI - I loved the work today with the Ankle Bands...!

I have an imbalance in my swim form/shape in the water...breathing to one side, eccentric kick due to poor rotation on the other side etc.....I'm trying to see if these will help me correct/balance that out.

Tonite will be either an FTP bike or a long run....as I am repeating last week and doing my Big Day on Saturday...

• Options
    @ Dwight that is funny about the Meters vs Yards Pool!!!

RnP not using toys.... NOT TRUE at least for Rich... a couple years ago he was training for an IM and was doing alot of PB sets like 8 x 500... He is a sub 1hr IM swimmer , and goes all out the first 500yds w/kick and then shuts his legs down(wetsuit swim only) and then turns the legs back on at the end....

My best IM swims are a couple of sub 1:06's and I'm looking for a couple minutes, I like variety , and have tried all the toys at one point or another, watch and read the theories behind them, It breaks it up , teaches you a few things, but I make sure to do lots of swim only days cause that is how we race!

So expirement but dont become dependent on them.
  • Options
    Thanks guys and, yes, I used to use them all the time if nothing for breaking up the montony. My best "real" IM swim was in Florida at 1:12...did 1:14 in AZ and 1:19 in Louisville. Now, last year, I did IMNY in 54 minutes...don't think I'll EVER see that again lol.

I've been really pushing my swim this cycle and I'm aiming for a 1:10 swim this go round.
  • Options
    @Joe curious to hear about your ankle band experience. Did you do the 25's with just band and no PB?

I started by doing 500 yds of 25's with the bands , then added 2 - 25's each week until I got to 1000yds , then I started doing them as 50's, 75's, and then 100's. FWIW I went back to doing just 50's now. I feel that is long enough that I can keep my form (felt like I was losing it doing 100's). My take away is that they force you to swim downhill pushing your head and chest level , force you to pick up stroke rate to keep the momentum going or your legs sink, and lastly provide a very good resistance workout because you are pulling so hard. I use them with the PB and snorkel and if I want an easier day I use the bands and PB but just longer intervals.... I took Tower 26 recommendation and stopped using paddles as soon as I started using the banks , I'm getting plenty of resistance with just water!
  • Options

Hey Tim...yeah I did them Bands Only...no PB...the first couple of 25's my legs really dragged/sunk...but honestly was encouraged because I was able to swim/make good forward progress which meant I was doing some thing right...the next 2 I increased my stroke rate and that helped....the next two the increased stroke gave me better momentum and my legs started to come back up and I could focus on my hip rotation..and also lengthening my body....so by the final two I was feeling like "I was kinda getting it"......I will add  200 yards next week...of 25's and 50's...and need to try them with PB

I agree with you about this..."they force you to swim downhill pushing your head and chest level , force you to pick up stroke rate to keep the momentum going or your legs sink, and lastly provide a very good resistance workout because you are pulling so hard"

A curious thing...I did a couple of pull sets with buoy and fins (no ankle bands)...then a couple with just buoy & no fins (no bands)....and was faster without the fins...I think this points (no pun intended) to a toe pointing/ankle flexing issue...would you agree?

• Options
    @Joe ... Awesome sounds like a good experience. I have a masters class I go to and the coach would make us cross our ankles every once in a while , I found out then the only way to make it across the pool without sinking was to pull like hell and breathe every 4th stroke. The ankle bands are much better and allow pointy toes.

PB and Fins at the same time? Kinda defeats the purpose of either? IMO PB is to NOT kick.... Fins I believe help in ankle flexibility , and I think they streamline the kick.
  • Options
    90 min custom TR ride today... 8 min v02 , 30 min ftp , 15 min .75 http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/264295

Easy 4 mile run and done....

I so look forward to a swim only day tomorrow!
  • Options

Nice...got home in time to rip off 11 miles - 1:22 (7:33 avg.) negative splitting...felt much better than expected having done my run intervals yesterday.......kind of a rest day tommorrow and big day Saturday...fingers x'd for spring-like weather!

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/3GS7QSKJAGVL5G2DJESAWB6RII

• Options
    Nice run Joe!

Rest day for me (work commitments) but I did want to check in and thank everyone for the swim conversation going on right now. As I try to gain some improvements this year in the swim, I closely read all these (and other thread) swim stuff.
  • Options
    x2 Nice run Joe!!

I'm busting a 60 min run at lunch and then a short session on the trainer in the morning...90 minutes or so. Packing the car, driving to Orlando, and racing in Clermont Tri on Sunday. One and only race before TX. Forecasts are calling for severe thunderstorms ...ok with me...great rain race practice!
  • Options
    @Dwight wishing you good skill in your race and good luck with the weather!

Hit the pool this am for 3500yds , 1 x500 , 10 x 200 , 1 x 500 , 1 x 500 w/toys and cool down... off the legs for the rest of the day... with the exception of the Dogwalk brick , she just doesnt care how much work or miles I have done!!!! Walked her after every Marathon , Half Marathon , Half Iron Man, Big Tri Day(usually pretty slow) ...... but not yet after an IM , only because they arent local and she isnt with us !

Rest up everyone for whatever your weekend plans are.... If your going to do alot of work this weekend might as well sign in for the Spring Fling!
  • Options

Spring looks to Spring Out this weekend....just in time for a BIG DAY!...glad I backed it up a week.....

@Tim...like that Dogwalk Brick...I hear ya...this is my ACD Kona...

Easy 4mi. on the TM over lunch just loosening up and learning to run in Z1 on purpose!...4x30 second strides......

Good Luck DWIGHT....and look forward to hearing about everyones weekend!

• Options
    @Joe... Nice pooch.... I got a lapdog mutt... No spring in NH yet, lots of snow to melt , springlike temps in the low to mid 40's so I will get my HM in but will still have to ride on the Trainer!

Everytime I do a Z1 run (twice a week) I can't believe how hard it feels ? Crazy!
  • Options
    This year is a bad year to look at. They delayed the registration due to issues with local Texas politicians since it was an election year. As an early race it does not fill up immediately, but this year should be faster.
  • Options
    Another long trainer ride in the books... 4:40 and entered into the Spring Fling Challenge with a TSS of 270....

They aint getting any easier!
  • Options

6 hours of fun done!...1hour swim (~3100yds pool)/4hr Bike (156NP/.76IF/18mph)/1hr run 7miles as progressive on the TM - started very easy...finished hard(9:00-7:25)...ride was a little tough as temps averaged only 40 and had to deal with an 12-15mph head/crosswind most of the ride....even in the cold had difficulty keeping up with sweat loss...I weighed 154 before the ride...152 after the ride (lost 1.5lbs/hr. Drank 48ounces still lost 2lbs.)...and weighed 151 after the run (lost 2.5 lbs/hr drank 24ounces still lost 1lbs)..need to work that out before TX heat!...otherwise all good.

• Options
    Nice big day Joe! You should join the Spring Fling Challenge.... Some TSS today!
  • Options

Thanks Tim!...you continue to Rock the Road!...Good Luck with your HM tomorrow!

• Options
    Way to work it Joe!

Lots of family stuff going on today and had to work the schedule to get stuff in. Got 1600 in the pool in 3x500 and 100. Held 1:43's for the 500's. In and out. After bed time, got 3:25 on the bike tonight with 6x25 on a target of 0.75. Ended up being 0.73 and 221 NP. Fun times!
  • Options

@Roy...thats some schedule juggling...and an excellent ride in your sleep...imagine if it was before you went to bed!