Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

Lodging

Having just qualified at IMLP, I feel late in the game for finding a place to stay. Does anyone have suggestions? Places near the race site seem to be pretty booked, and if available, are quite costly. Can you stay farther out and get into race area easily with a rental car? If yes, in which direction should I be looking?

Comments

• Options
    I stayed at the Sheraton last year, and will stay again this year. It's a few minutes outside the main strip of Kona, and it's joined by a free and frequent trolley along al'ii drive. As an added bonus, there is a lot of celeb sighting to be had: saw Crowie, Leandra C and a number of others lounging around the pool bar the day after the race, as well as the elusive Coach P and family!

• Options

I used VBRO this year and last year.  This year I am staying in a house that is 3 miles from the pier in a quiet neighborhood.  Last year I stayed in a condo on Alii Dr. 1.5 miles from the pier.  Even though it wasn't too far we ended up driving into town especially later in the week.

I had a harder time trying to find places this year.  Last year I was able to look at the beginning of May rather than the end of July.

Another option is Endurance Sports Travel. 

• Options
    Staying at the Hale Kona Kai condo 1.2 miles from the pier and recommended by Al Truscott.
  • Options

Thanks, all, for your input. As you can imagine, most everything anywhere decent near the race site was taken already. There were some seedy looking places with rent jacked up to double for that week, but nothing nice left. So, I've procured a house pretty far south from the race site, but big, beautiful, and lots cheaper. Hope the half hour drive won't be too much of a problem. Since I'm making a vacation of this, the more remote location should be nice for after the race is done.