Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

3 weeks out ... oh, sweet taper.

We're into the short strokes, folks.  Time to shift to the priorities of staying healthy, getting maximum rest, and getting your head in the game ... the work is done and it's taper time.   How are you feeling?   Did you sign on for this week's webinar? 

The last week of work was solid for me ... finally.  Indeed, the first "A" week I've had this season (I grade my weeks - I'm a geek).  23 hours, and felt like I was absorbing it all.  I also caught up on my old episodes of NBC coverage of IMH's past while on the trainer - my favorite clip: Jurgen Zack, after dropping from first on the bike leaving Hawi, blows a tire, and things go downhill from there.  Flash forward to him on the run, walking, coughing blood and looking like death at the Energy Lab turn ... just shattered.  Then, Scott Tinley rolls up, stops, points at him and stares him straight in the eyes, and commands, simply:

"Finish."   

AWESOME. 

See y'all in a few short weeks.  I land on the island this Friday and will be able to put my tired and small mind to offerings for an EN swim, EN bike shakeout, EN sunrise Yoga, and other groovy triweek things.  Stay tuned; looking forward to seeing you all. 

Comments

• Options
    Ya beat me Dave .... I just finished my biggest week of the year at 22.5hrs and it was kinda accidental since I moved my longride/longrun sat/sun to mon/tues since I raced an OLY last week end. 7500yds swim, 243miles bike, 54 miles run..... total TSS 1338

Feeling good... I have one more big weekend planned next weekend... all signed up for the webinar....

today was a swim only, breakfast, massage, lunch , drop bike off at Fast Splits Newton Ma for TBT, dinner @ nice Vegan restaurant , couch!

arriving in KONA 10/3 departing 10/15

Look forward to meeting you oh fearless leader and the rest of you KONA peeps!
  • Options
    Dave you're doing a great job leading this group.

Training has been going good. Last week was a big week. Another hard week with a RR today then it's time to rest.

Arriving on 10/5.

Will miss the webinar tonight since it's at the same time I coach my sons soccer practice. I'll have to listen to it later, which sometimes works out better when I don't have any distractions.

Seee everyone soon!
  • Options
    Teri, let us know if you have any questions arising that you want us to raise during the webinar - I'll make sure they are brought forward for Pat to address.

And good for you for putting in a big week ... so soon after the 70.3 WC! You're a monster!
  • Options
    Yikes! You all seem WAY more confident than I feel. I will have my RR this Saturday, then it will be taper time. I ran a Half Marathon in a record rainfall on Saturday, my first race of that distance, and I surprised myself by running negative splits, and finishing the last 2 miles at my 5K pace. I'm not used to passing so many people while running, so it was a bit of a confidence builder for me. Came in third in age group, gun time, but would have placed higher if I had started farther up.

I'm still not sure of some things. I borrowed two different speedsuits, but both are illegal. I borrowed some Zipp 404 wheels, but they won't work on my QR CD.01, which is from their inaugural year and has too-narrow forks. So, I'm a bit stressed trying to get these things together when I thought I was all set. I found out about the wheels yesterday, and I really wanted to use race wheels for a couple of weeks at least, to get used to them. I'm heading out this morning to a couple of bike shops to see if anyone is feeling generous! Sadly, I just can't keep putting money into this race.

I borrowed an iPad to watch the seminar on tonight. My MacBook is from 2008 and isn't a new enough OS. I need to win the lottery!

Thanks for leading us, Dave! Can't wait to meet everyone in Kona.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave! I don't have any questions right now. The webinar is a good reminder of things I need to focus on and remember for race day.

When you feel good you have to take advantage of it and just go. Hopefully it'll pay off.

• Options

I did IMWI as a Do No Harm race and BONKED but did some dry heaving which re-booted my brain while on the run. I can use the experience in the swim with the chop and feel of the waves pitching for some good Kona experience. I did the opposite of Texas, I drank too much on the bike but did have some good use of riding in to multiple wind shifts (think Hawi).

Now the bad part. After getting through and learning from IMOO we finally got home and as I was wearing a back pack and pulling two rolling suit cases I tripped and fell on my left knee causing it to swell immediately. I believe just soft tissue and bone trauma without any breakage. If you don't look to won't find anything that will pull me out of the race. I took a week off from work because I couldn't walk and just picked up a knee brace on Monday which has helped. The swelling is subsiding and it doesn't hurt walking up steps so I think biking should be OK and I don't use my legs much in the swim. I still have some time before the race so hopefully I'll at least be able to shuffle along in the run.

• Options
    Jay sorry to hear about your misfortune... Like you said still some time and it wasnt like you were gonna do much training inbetween them anyway... Heal up quick!