Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 IM 70.3 St. George Introduction Thread

Welcome to the IM 70.3 St. George Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options

OK, I will break the ice and be the first to introduce myself...

My name is Jennifer Datwyler. I live in Northern Cal. ( Sacramento area). I am heading to St. George this year for an early season 70.3 as a lead up to my AAA race ( IM Coeur d'Alene).

I have done Wildflower and Napa HITS as well as Napa Vintage in recent years and really wanted a change of venue.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and racing hard!

• Options

Mark Cardinale - I live south of Denver in Parker, CO.  This will be a return trip to St. George for me.  I did the race last year and the timing and logistics work out well once again so i'm coming back for some more.  It's a beautiful and challenging course and I plan to race it as an "A" race on the way to Boulder 70.3 and IM Boulder.

@Jennifer- I did St. George last year as a lead up to CDA and the timing between seemed just about perfect.

• Options

Teri Cashmore - I live 4 hrs north of St. George.  I love racing in St. George and am excited to kick off my season there again.  I missed out on an AG win last year so that's my goal for this race.  

Jennifer - I'm doing CDA as well!  Look forward to meeting you.  How is your PF?  I haven't been able to do much running lately due to a inflammed glute muscle which has been very frustrating.  

Mark - Good to hear that the timing between St George and CDA worked out well for you.  I'd like to talk to you about CDA in St. George.  Any feedback on the bike would be good.  I raced there in 2011 before they changed the bike course.  

• Options

Hi Teri,

I did CDA last year as well. 5th in AG... Trying to KQ at CDA. The field was slower than normal last year so I hope I have what it takes this year. The competition will probably be stiffer

I followed your saga last season. You are truly amazing! Looking forward to meeting you in St. George!

• Options
    Excited to see all of you in St. George!

This is my third trip to St George....hopefully a little warm up for CDA and Boulder this year. I will be driving over from Colorado, hoping to get a little riding outside before the big day in May. We have had a lot of snow and cold, so my bike seems to be permanently attached to my trainer these days.

See you all "soon"!
  • Options
    Hey folks,
    excited to see and race with each of you in St George. I live in Las Vegas so i guess that makes me kinda a local and have done the inaugural full and 2 halves on this course I have accepted the challenge of Race Captain but will need your help in getting together for lunch or a meeting when you are all up there. my cell phone is 702 241 0673

I to am using this as a warmup to CDA and it will be my third time there..i use it as a vacation to see my niece and her Wonderful family and just get out of the hustle of Las Vegas life..I am by no means a fast guy as i am still working on my fueling thru the races but love the challenges it presents
  • Options

Good morning folks,

everyone is pretty quiet so i'm pretty sure you are all diligently training for our up and coming-and so soon-70.3 event.

hope all  are focused on the carrot at the end may it be a PR or a warm up to CDA the following Month. What ever it may be  train safe and execute like a ninja.

see you real soon

James

• Options
    just did my swim rehearsal...OK at best 43min..not what i was hoping for but better than my last half that i sucked at..51 in st George so times are looking up...now for race rehearsal tomorrow...
  • Options
    6 weeks till D day Peeps..Hope your RR was a success ..i finally completed the 56 miles just at 3 hours so an accomplishment in itself the run was a little difficult but git the targets without issue except i was very tired off the bike...my nutrition was ok and had no GI issues as i drank all my needs with perform loss ow weight was minimal which was nice since i usually lose 5-6 lbs and lock up after a few miles on the run...let me know how you did and again give me a jingle when you have your itinerary/rooms ect set up for the race

James
  • Options

@Jim - Thanks for agreeing to be race captain and congratulations on your RR.  I'm driving from Colorado to St. George and expect to be in town sometime Thursday afternoon.  I'm looking forward to getting together and meeting everyone.  Should be fun and some warm weather sounds really nice right about now.

As for my training, no race rehearsal this week.  I just switched over from the GF plan and I don't feel quite ready for a race rehearsal.  Also the weather has not been great and i'd rather not do my race rehearsal inside on the trainer.  Otherwise, training is coming along well.

• Options

Thanks James for stepping up and volunteering to be our race captain.

I am still in the GF plan, so like Mark, I didn't do a RR.  I did extend my bike wko from 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs.  I have another couple of weeks to go before switching over to the IM plan for IMCDA.  I don't know if I'll do a RR before St. George.

I'll be in St. George Thursday afternoon.  Look forward to meeting everyone.

• Options
    Mark and terri ,
    glad to hear from you..was getting worried as to contacting the team prior to the race

As for both of you I'm not sure if no RR is a good idea as it will help you dial in your nutrition for that specific event but im really not that smart...i need all the confirmation i can get as i always suffer due to not executing a nutrition plan...

thinking of ony infinit products as it has been the lesser of the 2 evils in my experience
    good luck in your training and keep your eyes on the bigger prize in CDA
    please keep me updated as i will you..
    hope to see you soon
    James
  • Options

had a glitch in the training tues and weds due to work demands but back on track Thur and Friday...sometimes rest is really good..reverse brick this morning with a run and then a 3 hour bike with multiple power sessions..should be a good one. i will start the run before the sun rises so i can get the bike in and watch the sun rise...its a balmy 44 and clear   hope all are doing well  5 weeks and counting

has anyone done any cooooold water swimming cause i haven't  but i will get in my pool which is about 55 now and start to get the shock out of the system early

keep in touch

James

• Options

Just switched to Iron man training this Monday and the volume is gonna get intense but keeping a eye on the immediate goal of IMSTG hope all is well on your end of training ...did you see the results of the 70.3 Texas  Holy cow fast fast fast  i hope i can compete that fast soon

keep in touch as the time is getting close...still looking for a good lunch site to meet up  does any one have a preference on meals?

James

• Options

Less than 3 weeks till the race and hope all are training hard...switched to the IM training platform and getting in more volume ..had to push the 4 hour with sweat test till this morning du to friends in town but should be good to go

hope we can meet up in St George 

feel free to text or call me on my cell 702 241 0673

james

• Options

Sounds like you're making good progress, Jim!  I just read the water temp at sand hollow was 57 degrees this past weekend.  I hope things warm up over the next couple weeks.  Even a few degrees makes a huge difference!

Count me in for meeting up for lunch or dinner.  I'll be arriving Thursday afternoon and my cell number is 303-513-0120.  Do you know if Brenda is creating a "Group Me" chat for the HIM's this year?

• Options

Mark,

Im not sure about the group me deal . I will be going up there this weekend and also on the 27th for work purposes but will scout a Normal place where the menu will be ok for the race. ill also be heading up there on Thursday so i don't have to rush around like a chicken as usual.

thanks for the response and looking forward to hooking up with you

P.s. i havent heard if the swimmers itch is still happening this year possibly cause of all the fresh water coming down but it does affect some people once..im fortunate that tequila is a force field for those pesky bacteria and yes lets hope it warms up into the 60s because 57 is ice cream cold

James

• Options
    Hi all,

My name is Brent Bills and I will be doing the St. George 70.3 this year. I live in st. George and raced this course last year so if anyone needs some help let me know. T2 is in my office parking lot with athlete check in right behind. If you get lost walk into the school district office and ask for me and I will help you out.

See you all in a few weeks,
    Brent
  • Options

Hey Folks,

It's official, I'm coming out to the race . I'll look into the admin of the race to see if it makes sense for me to do a formal Four Keys for the event and I've volunteered to do moto support . I think this time rather than carrying a race official I'll carry a photographer and flip the guy some cash to take a ton of pictures of EN athletes 

Can someone please tell me ASAP what the deets are for a Team get together? I need to lock on my lodging, etc. 

• Options

Hey Rich, that's great news.

I know Jim talked about doing a lunch but nothing has been decided.  I'd like to suggest doing a team dinner on friday.  There's lots of admin on friday afternoon given bike drop at T1 and run gear drop at T2, plus i'd like to drive parts of the course.  We did a dinner on friday night last year at an italian place downtown and that worked out well.  I'm open for whatever, but just throwing this out there as a suggestion. 

• Options
    Ok, my vote is for Friday night dinner also.

Can someone give me the Clifnotes for Friday admin? Where you guys gotta be, when, doing what, etc?
  • Options

With separate transitions and also having to drive out to Sand Hollow to drop off our bikes, there is a lot of stuff going on Friday afternoon.  My vote is also for an early dinner on Friday.

Rich,

athlete briefing @ 11 am and 3 pm @  town square

bike check in @ Sand Hollow 2-7pm

optional run check in @ town square 2-7pm

• Options

Richard,  I work at the school district office at the Town Square.  T2 is in our parking lot.  Let me know if you need a place to meet, I can get you a meeting room.

• Options

Posted By Brent Bills on 24 Apr 2014 05:47 PM

Richard,  I work at the school district office at the Town Square.  T2 is in our parking lot.  Let me know if you need a place to meet, I can get you a meeting room.

Hey Brent (my dad is Richard :-),

My usual MO is to put the word out re the 4k talk via our newsletter, social media, etc, saying I'll be standing at location X at time Y, look for the EN Flag. Location X = good visibility for athletes milling about, in this case probably going to/from that athlete's meeting. 

• Options

Brent, 

Since you're the local and know the layout...

1. Is there a good outdoor speaking location (under a tree for example) that's NOT inside the expo or whatever official area WTC has setup, but DOES get a lot of foot traffic as people go in/out of the WTC area. I arrive and set up my flag here.
    2. Is there then a good, identifiable location that's INSIDE the expo/wtc area, or just outside, where I can have people meet me before talk. I stand here, people assemble, and then at about 10:05, I walk everyone over to the flag and do the talk there.

^This^ is what we've done in the past for other races and I haven't been arrested yet...close, but not quite 

If you don't know of a #1, don't worry about it, I can figure it out on the ground on the fly. But a #2 location now would be great, so I can promote it. 

• Options
    Richard,

A great place to meet people is at the gazebo between the school district office and the old Woodward school building. 100 west was closed on the block and the gazebo sits right where the road dead ends so it is easy to find. You could hold your meeting at the gazebo or under the trees in front of the Woodward building. If you want something inside I can get you into the school board room on the west side of the district office.
  • Options
    Can you give me an address or cross street? Trying to find it on Google Map or Google Earth
  • Options
    Rich, if you haven't been able to find it, it is west of S Main St, between W Tabernacle and w 100 S.
  • Options
    Rich, if you haven't been able to find it, it is west of S Main St, between W Tabernacle and w 100 S.
  • Options
    The address of the gazebo is 100 west tabernacle. The district office is 121 W. Tabernacle.