Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2014 70.3 Eagleman Official Sign In Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Carla,

That's called "life happens". You can't control unplanned visits to the doctor, so don't worry about not doing the run. Sounds like you had a great swim and bike and had the energy left for the run. You'll get it next time. I hope all is well with your son.

My weekend went very well. I swam 1000 yards at a Masters Swim Meet Friday evening and did better than I predicted. Got in a 52 mile ride Saturday and 16 mile run on Sunday. That's my last long run before Boston. My biking will go on the back burner these next two week and a couple weeks after Boston as I recover and I plan to continue swimming 3-4 times a week.

Have a good training week.

Derrek
  • Options

@ Derrek

Thanks again for the support.  OMG reading YOUR training exhausts me !  Sounds like your training is going well also.  I would love to see updates when you run the Boston Marathon if you feel like sharing your details.

Carla

• Options

Re did my bike test-and my HR was 20 BPM less than my first test!  I may not be getting smaller, but my heart is healthier!

• Options
    OK, so I sent an email to WTC and haven't heard back about when the athletes might get info concerning the race. Has anyone heard anything else about the race? I know the TriColumbia website is not working.

Just wondering......
  • Options
    Thanks for checking, Carla. Also, congrats on your bike test. I think a lower HR means you're getting fitter.
  • Options
    How are the WKOs going. I rode outside Saturday and it felt great. Ran a 5k with my wife and our 10 and 7 year old daughters. Not a great workout, but lots of fun! Ran today. I still have not been in the water, but the shoulder feels strong and I should swim this weekend.
  • Options

@William, thanks for asking.....I did my bike out on the deck this weekend in the lovely weather that we HAD.  It actually made me think about getting on the road for real!  The scheduled run kicked my butt due to the heat. That kind of makes me nervous since Eagleman is usually hotter than it was this weekend, BUT I don't plan on running in zone 4 either.  BUT going 13.1 miles after a bike ride in the heat has me thinking I really hope to get more training in warmer weather.

Monday morning I left at 5 AM and was on the road doing college visits with my daughter.  I hoped to get a run in, but too much driving, so nothing the last two days.  Got in around midnight and I work until 5:30 today.  I will get to my Cancer2 5K program after work, but it is usually light due to the nature of the program.  My 10 yo is going thur Mom withdrawl, so thinking I won't be working out once I get home.

I have tentative plans to get out to the Eastern shore next weekend to do my scheduled 56 mile bike ride.  I can get there, but I don't want to do it alone since I am not a strong biker and I'm too chicken to ride real roads alone.  My friend who lives over there may hook me up with a friend of hers that bikes.  IF you care to make your way out here on the 27th let me know

Hope your shoulder feels better soon....

Carla

• Options
    @Carla - the weekend weather was fantastic. The new cold front is ridiculous. I am also hoping for some warmer weather to train for Eagleman. It was very hot two years ago, but I am told it was not bad last year.

Thanks for the invitation to ride. I would love to get to the eastern shore to ride, but we are running the NJ marathon on the 27th. If it helps, I rode 60+ miles on the eastern shore last year and encountered very few cars. I can try to find the route if you are interested.

I rode the trainer yesterday and got in the work. I will try to run today after work.

The shoulder appears healed. I do not like swimming in a pool, but it is too cold to swim outside so I may have to suck it up and get in the pool.
  • Options
    @William-thanks for the offer, but I know where I'm going to start, a friends house. Thanks for letting me know you didn't see too many cars. That actually helps.

I actually had a interval run workout last night which was unexpected. I think my body was worn out from the driving, poor sleeping, COLD, and long hours at work yesterday, so I took today off and enjoyed it with a day out with my kids and husband. I planned on my long run today, but couldn't get into it after our day of walking in the city.

Tomorrow I will do the run and get a swim in. Now that it is said, I need to be accountable.

@Derrek-wishing you strong legs in Boston!

Carla
  • Options

@Carla, thanks!  I'm hoping for strong legs too :-) 

This was taper week and I enjoyed the lighter workouts. Can't wait to run Boston.

This makes 2 weeks with no rides...I hope I don't lose too much bike speed/FTP.

Derrek

• Options
    @Derrek - x2 on Carla's wish for strong legs for Boston. Enjoy the race. You will not lose too much on the bike and whatever loss you may have will come back quickly.

@Carla - I also ended up taking yesterday off and need to get a run in today. I will try to get out of work early so I can run outside. If not, it will be another day on the treadmill.
  • Options
    Thanks William! I hope you can avoid the dreadmill today.

Happy training this weekend everyone!
  • Options
    Congrats on your Boston Marathon run-I have no idea what your goal was, but glad you had a safe run :o)
    Carla
  • Options
    So, I was a total slacker last week and thru the weekend with only two workouts. No reason to get into "why" as I am responsible for my own training. I am back on the saddle, literally.
    Did Monday and Tuesday-going for today's WO's after work. Just chatted with Coach P about my race rehersal and feeling much better about it. I was hoping to go to the Eastern Shore to ride, but unable to due to my friends' situation. So biking around here on hills. Coach P said to just get in 3 hours and I think I know a loop I can do that only has one decent hill, so I'm feeling calmer.
    I'll know more on Saturday!

Hope you are doing well with your training......6 1/2 weeks to go....

Carla
  • Options
    Thanks Carla! I had a great time in Boston and enjoyed the race, but my quads didn't have fun. I wasn't prepared for all the down hills throughout the entire course...I was expecting the hills, which weren't too bad but the constant down hills trashed my quads. They're still sore today. My bottom goal was to finish and re-qualify, which I did with 5 seconds to spare!! I hope to get back on the bike next week.

When I get back to riding long, I'll let you know when and where I'll ride, if you're interested. I usually ride long with another tri club for the support and so I'm not on the roads by myself.
  • Options
    OK, so I did a 1:52 run even though it was a scheduled 2 hour run. I felt great, so I'll take a 8 minute slack. My race pace will NEVER beat a Kenyan, but my endurance sure has improved.

My sister hooked me up with her friend that did Eagleman last year. She sounded like she is about the same pace as me, so it was nice hearing her perspective. She really made me feel calmer about the bike. AND she is letting me borrow a double water bottle holder that attaches to the back of the seat. I was stressing about spending about $50 for it even though I am not sure I'll be doing another long bike race after this. She also has a friend that has a home in Cambridge and I hope to hook up with him and another woman who is training for a tri, to get in an OWS. My husband doesn't understand why I would want to go swim with random people. He really doesn't get it, but is trying. After I made a golf analogy he seemed a bit more understanding.

So, swim rehearsal tomorrow and the bike/run rehearsal on Saturday. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how I do.

Carla
  • Options
    Carla - my wife and I swim with our local tri group in Harford County, MD. If you are ever interested, please let me know. We usually swim on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
  • Options
    Derrek - great job and congratulations! I look forward to meeting you and Carla at Eagleman.
  • Options
    @William, let me know when you do a swim. Thanks for asking. There is a group here that sometimes goes to Hammerman Beach, but I haven't made it there yet. I just checked their schedule and they are doing a lot a Fort Richie on Tuesdays and Thursdays which is too far for me those days.
  • Options
    RR yesterday and today-short version-did the swim, bike as scheduled, but only got a 20 mile jog in, the rest of time I walked.

Feel good physically, but had my right TA stopped working right, so that's why I walked-no pain at any point and feeling good now.

Initial impression is I still have a lot of work to put in and I will most likely be one of the last ones coming in, but I WILL be crossing the finish line. Will probably do a Race Rehearsal report (or not) at some point.

• Options
    OK not sure where to post this and as you know by now I really just need a place to write out stuff. This thread seems as good as any...

My swim last night: slower than I thought, but did have to change my goggles 2 x. My sister is a synchro swim coach and is going to hook me up with someone who fit her whole team with proper fitting goggles-nothing expensive, just which goggles will fit me best. Speed would be nice, but the fact that I wasn't exhausted was encouraging.

My bike: background is I haven't been on the road since last September and biking is my least favorite part of the race. Unable to find a biking partner, so picked a 2.2 mile loop in an industrial/business park that is a favorite with local bikers, usually. Went to put on my "new double water bottle holder and didn't have the right tools, so after getting all dressed and packed for my ride I visited my local bike shop. They graciously rigged it and got it onto my bike (I was missing a part.)

Started on my loop, but there is a big hill that I wasn't thrilled about riding. To make it more enjoyable today a strong head wind met me as soon I started on the hill. Long story short: I found a few parking lot loops that were flat that were more like what I've heard Eagleman to be. Plus the headwind was an added bonus, since I heard that shows up during the race also.
    I did my three hours, since Coach P said "3 hours or 56 miles, whichever is first." My HR watch wasn't cooperating, so I was going by "feel" and don't think I was pushing too hard. I was much slower than I thought, since I've been using a trainer and not able to calculate distance. At this rate I'm going to be on the bike a LOT longer than I thought.

My "run": I packed my belt, but left my smaller sports bottle in the fridge, so I carried a big bottle which was not what I'm used to. I jogged for 20 min at a super slow pace, once again into a headwind and uphill. I realized I wasn't getting a heel strike due to my TA getting tight-no pain, just fatigued. So I decided to walk back to my car-25 minutes later.

UGH! I have a lot of work to do still. I did learn a lot though and am glad I was ok on the bike.
  • Options
    @William, thanks. My quads are no longer sore and next weekend I plan to resume tri training.

@Carla, congrats on getting it done. I understand your frustration but the RR is did it's purpose...you're working out all the "bugs" and learning what you need to work on. I hope your TA gets better soon. Did you get to test out your nutrition?

I feel behind in my biking. My longest ride has been 55 miles, which was my first out door ride of the season. Next weekend I'm planning a 60-70 mile ride.
  • Options
    @Derrek-yes, I tried out the nutrition and did ok-no complaints BUT it was the perfect temperature and with the strong headwind I never felt dehydrated. I didn't go thru all my bottles.
    I definitely need to learn how to take a bottle out of the seat bottle holder and get it back in as I wasn't even close and dropped a bottle. I wouldn't want to do that on the course even though not sure too many people will be behind me :o)

Nothing wrong with my TA, it happened on my very first tri-looked like I had a foot drop. Just another thing I need to strengthen as I've not done my exercises regularly.

For me I know it is going to be hard, but my goal is to finish and not feel like death. I feel I am on my way to that goal.
  • Options
    Hi all! This will be my 4th Eagleman. I know the course very well, so feel free to hit me up w questions! Eman is always hot (although last yr wasn't quite as bad). The bike is flat and fast but you have to be careful since you don't really realize the effects of the heat until you start running. The bike course can be very windy (usually on the back half), which makes racing with power key... So you don't fry your legs. The run is brutal... A flat, exposed out and back.
  • Options
    Hi Kortney,

As a newbie I was wondering how the swim was all the different years? Jellyfish? choppy? strong current? all at the same time or usually only one?

Carla
  • Options
    There are sometimes jellyfish, but I have never been stung. I always wear this stuff called SafeSea or something like that. It is a "jellyfish repellent". I have no idea if it really works or not, but it makes me feel better!

The currents can be a factor, but the currents are not super strong. The tides coming in or out create the current, more or less. But, if the current is unfavorable (swimming against it on the way out), it will slow you down a bit.

As far as chop, I have never had a choppy swim at Eagleman, but I do know that it can get choppy. Thankfully most of the swim is tucked in a bit, which helps with that.

Where are you staying pre-race?
  • Options

@Kortney  I'm staying at a friends' parents condo, about two blocks off the Choptank River Bridge.  An easy bike ride , but not close enough to walk.  What about you?

• Options
    @Carla I'm staying at the Hyatt. We should all try to meet pre-race for a team pic!
  • Options
    Kathy and I are arriving tomorrow morning. We will register, drop off the bikes and then register at the Hyatt. Does everyone want to meet Saturday afternoon/evening for a picture?

We have reservations for dinner at 6 and at 7 for 2. We will likely use the 6 reservation If anyone wants the 7, please let me know. Also, if you want to join us, I can try to add to the reservation.
  • Options

I'm arriving around 2:00 and can meet up after the 3:00 pm race briefing. I already have dinner plans. 

Good luck to eeveryone! 

Derrek