Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

IMCHOO Training Wk 8/25 - 8/31

If you were at camp hope you had a blast, some CHOO peeps started the thread for the info- if you didn't go to camp read up and hope you had a great week training also! 

Rock it out this week EN'rs 

Comments

• Options
    NO Camp for me last weekend but got in some quality training in the form of Racing.... REV3 Maine Old Orchard Beach HIM , ocean was warm, beautiful sunny day , light winds , made for a perfect race day.... 4:38 was good enough for 1st in the M50-54AG and 16th OA , pretty small turn out , not my best race of the year but very happy with results...Treated it like a train thru race with minimal taper and never really felt good, also had to spend 57 seconds in a porto-potty on the run, that maybe a PR..... OK I'm done racing and most of my speed work... Gotta get in a couple race specific long rides/long runs and some volume over the next couple weeks !

Good stuff coming in from the Campers! Can't wait to get down there and at least drive the course to see it first hand but I won't get the opportunity to ride it!
  • Options
    Great job out there Tim and congrats on another win!

I did the camp week per the training plan and ended the week with 21:30 hrs of training in the books. My long run on tired legs last night actually felt pretty good after the first couple of miles. Added in a couple of hill repeats in the middle based on course recon I think the run will be the undoing of many I just hope not mine or at least not completely.

I gotta say it feels pretty awesome to have a complete day off today!

• Options
    @Tim -- Nice Race! 4:38 is smoking! The bike course in Chattanooga is great -- Rich put up a post and I'm sure others will add their thoughts as well.

Camp was great -- 2.4 swim on thursday, 115/4 Fri 102 Sat, 13.7 mi run Sunday -- Almost 19 hrs last week, but I feel surprisingly good. Resting today also and only doing easy swim tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nice work as usual Tim.
    No camp for me but as Tim quality training.
    60 miles Sat with 6 mile run
    116 miles Sun with 6 mile run
    Took today off (Monday) and hope to start ramping my running this week. The flu last week zapped me.
  • Options
    @Attila , Mark , and Carl... Nice big weeks... Exactly the kinda stuff I need right now!
  • Options
    Yikes! I feel like slacker for not doing camp week last weekend. you guys are cranking out some volume! Planning on using the 3 day weekend to get some solid miles in.
  • Options
    Whew! Felt the residual fatigue from Camp yesterday after 4,200 in the pool. Took a long nap that ended in a "Mom! We're home!"....whoops ;-) Hit my numbers on today's bike but it wasn't easy! Had to skip the run to hit the Dr.'s office to check out a irritation on the bottom of my toe. Doesn't appear to be serious. We'll see how tomorrow's run goes.

Here's the great thing about camp. Having experienced the run course I am now going to mirror my run route to the course route in relation to timing of elevation. I will run a fairly flat 7 miles then take it into the hills for the remaining time. Also going to take some flat coke with me, see how that works. Have a great run everyone!
  • Options
    @Amy -- good ride and nice swim workout!

I was pretty tired Monday (rested) and yesterday I only managed 1650 in the pool. Did 6 mi and change on the treadmill today, hit my zones and felt good. Riding after work tonight and hopefully can hit the numbers but Im not going to worry too much if I don't. Bringing all my focus to tomorrow mornings long run.
    Good luck all!
  • Options
    I thought the swim yesterday was tough after camp, but today's bike was worse! The one hill in my town, affectionately known as Mt. Skippy because it's so pathetic, felt tougher than anything in Chattanooga. Ha! Got it done, but we will see how tomorrow's run goes. I am having to switch some things around this week as I leave in the am after my long run to go see my daughter run her first college race in North Carolina. 8 hour drive Thursday and head back on Friday night, getting home early Saturday. Will take Friday off, swim Saturday afternoon, bike Sunday and Labor Day. At least that is the plan. Fatigue may play into this.
  • Options
    @Jodi, sounds like a good plan. You'll hit it. Good luck to your daughter!
  • Options
    Amy, Mark and Jodi nice job on all your workouts.

I did Sufferfest Blender trainer ride tonight, 1:40 hrs at .87 IF. Legs still a little tender from last week.
  • Options
    Knocked out my 2X15 @ FT pretty handily today coming off the camp weekend. I even threw in 4X VO2 intervals at the end and felt pretty decent. No run off the bike but I'l looking forward to a good long run tomorrow AM.
  • Options
    A great up tempo 10K run at lunch, followed by my bread and butter evening pain cave of cycling: 80min, with MS 3 x 15min at 232w.
  • Options
    Long run was spot on this morning - 21 miles with a 5-mile progression to 6:20 pace thena few easy miles to finish it out. No apparent lingering fatigue from camp.
  • Options
    @Joel.... wholly speed in the middle of a longrun!

@ Amy .... sounds like your mojo is back!

@All.... looking good keep moving forward!

Getting some volume in this week but keeping my intensity in check across the board!
  • Options
    Posted By tim cronk on 28 Aug 2014 12:17 PM

@Joel.... wholly speed in the middle of a longrun! 

While is seems fast, and feels challenging 15 miles into a long run, my Z3 is 5:57 so in theory I have more to give.
  • Options
    @Joel, wow 21 miles! You smoked it dude! Nice work.

My run wasn't as spectacular as that but I got it done! Forgot my watch so I had to run by feel. Added in a big climb at mile 10 and got a boost when a guy stuck his arm out the window and gave me a thumbs up! You know you're doing something right when that happens ;-) Legs started to talk back after 7 miles but I told them to shut up and they submitted to the remainder of the run. Practiced 30 walk steps while taking in water/nutrition. Definitely whipped right now!

@Tim, Yes I found it at Camp! Turns out she had it.

• Options
    Long run today in the books. I changed my route to add a little more elevation gain to better reflect the course. The first 60' were pretty close to all the other longs runs and the route for that segment was the same. Once I dropped into the 70' interval, things were good for the first 30' of it but then I knew the wheels were starting to come off. I was having trouble keeping my HR in check and where I wanted it. I slowed down and carried on. The next 40' was a suck fest. Pace was way off and HR was not where it should have been. Wife was checking in on me and I called it 2:15. I was about 20" off my pace per mile so something was going on. Looking back over the last few days, I believe the lack of proper hydration was affecting me and maybe some lingering affects of camp. So compression pants on, a soak in a hot epsom salt bath, and to hydrate are the order for the remainder of the day.

I did swim Tues but geez I felt so tired. Got in 1500 yds.

I took yesterday off from the bike. I'm trying my best to heal this saddle sore so I can do my long ride Sat.

Looks Like I lost all the data from my ride Friday at camp.  The activity is there but it only shows the distance, time, avg speed and calories.  It won't download into garmin connect.  I had this happen on a long ride last year and I believe it is associated with the memory being full on the 910.  So mental note before the race, deleted all old data.

• Options
    Very nice long runs all!

@Joel... Its all relative I know.... Knew you were a really fast doode but somehow missed your vdot is 60 WOW....

@Amy.... LOL love it.... Lil Debbie....

@Jamie... good reminder ... I just deleted the histories on my bike and run computers yesterday

• Options
    Wow Joel you are one seriously strong and fast dude. The boys in your age group should be afraid right now.

Very nice long runs everyone.

I had to move my long run from yesterday to this morning. I did 7 last night and 14.5 this morning. I'm pretty shelled right now.

We'll see how that swim feels later today.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone and good luck on all your wkos.

I wonder if WTC is busy changing all the apparel for IMChoo from 140.6 to the new official 144.6 distance? I feel bad for folks that are close to the 17 hr mark that might not make it now because of the extra 4 miles, pretty crappy way to introduce a new race IMHO with 16:30 finish limit and adding 4 miles to bike.
  • Options
    Nice long runs everyone --
    @Joel -- wow -- nice speed there in the middle .
    I got in 19 yesterday -- Ran some 7:30's in the middle of mine but then faded over the last 45 min. -- Post run analysis showed -- not enough salt, not enough fluids, not enough calories. You'd think I'd know better by now.
    Hoping for a good 4200 swim today and easy run this evening.

Rain in forecast all week -- Looks like I'll be practicing wet weather riding
  • Options
    FYI Remember to:

* Register for IMCHOO 4Keys talk
    * Fill out Team Dinner Excel info (also for IMTRICLUB points)
    * Follow Me AND EN on any social media platforms you are on as I will be on race site live posting (NEW EN Hashtag #EN4Keys
    * Be AWESOME (a given as an EN member but just a reminder)
  • Options
    Todays long run felt okay....
    Ironman Choo Choo Long run week 8/12. Discipline was the name of the game today. Shane A. Grego? thanks for joining me for the hilly loop. Time for some calories, fluid and then a sweet recovery swim. The train is a coming around the bend and we will be on it ready to roll!!!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/577728207
  • Options
    @Carl.... Nice run... Damn Garmin keeps posting wko's in Metric when you post a link... So annoying I wish they would fix that! Looking forward to racing with you again at CHOO .... Havent raced with you since my big fat DNF at IMCOZ....
  • Options

Ran today before the swim, easy run for 30 minutes through rolling terrain. Legs were heavy and pace was slow at first but they came around. Swim was ridiculous. I felt like I was swimming through molasses with an anchor attached to me. Water was very warm. Quit after 1,200. Today I was the bug, not the windshield.

• Options
    Got in a good 18 mile run today ; with a negative split achieved. I gotta say, it's likely the best long run I have done in a while. I never felt I was close to entering the dark suffer zone; rather just steady and worked on upping nutrition a little more which seems to have paid off. At the end of the run, it was more the heat of the day that was causing me fatigue rather than legs wishing to stop. Now going to reward my self to a nice SoCal beach day.
  • Options
    I had shifted my training to take Friday off to drive 9 hours each way to watch my daughter run in her first college race. Left Thursday after a 2.5 hour run. Got home this morning at 11 am and simultaneously watch my son's team (Navy) and my daughter's team (App State) lose their football games. Then drove to the pool, but almost feel asleep on the drive, so I abandoned the swim and took a 2 hour nap. I've got a 5 hour bike ride scheduled for tomorrow and a 3 hour one on Monday. So beat, I am not sure what's gonna happen...I am feelin' the training and living for the taper.
  • Options
    David very nice run, sounds like your are ready.

Jodi that's a lot of life plus training you had to contend with in a short amount of time. Taking off right after a long run couldn't have been too fun. Just hang in there that start line is just around the corner.

I did 4400 swim today and a short bike with some hill repeats. I'm moving today's ride/run to tomorrow and doing another 6 hour ride on Monday before taking off for Phoenix for the week on Tuesday morning. RR run in Phoenix should be interesting. I keep hearing it's a dry heat but 106 is just hot no matter how you look at it. I'm going to wake up super early and do the run before the day starts so temps should only be in the mid 80s so we'll see.

• Options
    Got my long ride in today. Started around 8:30am. Temp was ~74 and by the time I was done, it was hovering in the low 90's with a heat index over 100. I hit the interval marks but faded after the last one. Last hour was a struggle against the heat and what seemed like a head wind no matter which way I turned. Got it done none the less. Recovery mode all afternoon.
    Not sure about a ride tomorrow. Kinda up in the air for a number of reason so we will see.

@Jodi- I know what you mean. I think I'm still recovering from camp lol.
  • Options
    Last night my good friend told me I looked really bad. It matched the way I felt. Woke up this morning feeling better and got my Saturday ride in on Sunday. Ran 40 minutes, then rode 5 hours and 80 miles. Slower time than normal but that's ok since I wasn't sure I could pull it off. Got off the bike to the feeling of a knife in my lower left buttock. I'm pretty sure its a pinched nerve, maybe sciatic. Muscle relaxer did not help. Now taking tramadol. Bummer...