Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Hawaii (Kona)
Options

4 WEEKS TO KONA!

How y'all feeling, racers?    On plan, on track, on target?   

I was riding yesterday and got a huge charge thinking back to something Ken Glah said at the banquet last year.  Roughly:  "It's the race that nobody is looking beyond.  Everyone is shaved, tapered and bringing their best."  Race week can't come quickly enough!   

Comments

• Options

Posted By Dave Tallo on 15 Sep 2014 09:15 AM

How y'all feeling, racers?    On plan, on track, on target?   

I was riding yesterday and got a huge charge thinking back to something Ken Glah said at the banquet last year.  Roughly:  "It's the race that nobody is looking beyond.  Everyone is shaved, tapered and bringing their best."  Race week can't come quickly enough!

I DO like the feeling that, the 2000 or so of us racers are the prime focus of the triathlon universe that week; maybe 4 times that many other folks as well as big money corporations are all bustling around the Island, just because of us - if we weren't there, they wouldn't be either.
    Still, I'm going to train through Kona, looking ahead to Arizona, like Tim did with Florida last year. So, I'm kind of in a Camp Fortnight now, overdosing a tad on rides.

• Options

For me it's definitely starting to feel real.  Even though i've never been on the course, or been to hawaii for that matter, while i'm on the bike I have been trying to visualize myself on the course climbing or riding into headwinds and i have been trying to focus on staying compact and aero.  Otherwise my training is going well and i'm just trying to protect myself from myself in terms of not doing anything stupid that could cause injury.  On one hand, i'm with you in that October can't come quickly enough, but on the other hand i don't want this feeling of anticipation to actually be racing in Kona to end.

• Options

I'm just simply confused.    4 weeks from IM Mt Tremblant and 4 weeks to Kona.  Should I still be recovering, training hard or tapering? 

Per Coach R, I did a 2 week post IM transition plan and then he told me to load up the last 6 weeks of the Adv IM plan to end at Kona.  I could tell right away my body wasn't ready for the punishment again and my mind wasn't ready for the discipline needed to push thru the workouts.  So I'm taking it day-by-day.  I still have the Adv plan loaded up, but I decide each day how I feel and let that be my guide for doing the written workout or backing it off a bit.  Regardless of how this week goes, I'm going with a 3 week taper into Kona, just like I've done for my prior IMs.  So I just have to get thru this week, then taper.  And like Al, I have IMAZ 5 weeks after Kona. So I'm not going to Kona to really race, but to participate as my reward.  It will actually feel odd, yet relaxing, that I don't care too much about my finishing time at Kona.  Just want to make it to the finish line in a respectable time without destroying myself. 

• Options
    Ones of these days/years I will "RACE" KONA for all I'm worth if I am fortunate enough to have more opportunities to do so..... However this is not that year.... I'd like it to be 2017 when I age up... Definitely feeling real as I leave for IMCHOO next thursday and go right to KONA after CHOO.... Just completed 2 big weeks of training and started my 2 week taper last weekend....KONA 13 days after CHOO should be interesting to say the least.

@Bruce and Al.... I'm convinced my "do no harm" (think 90-95%) approach to KONA last year was a huge part of my success @ IMFL....Having said that I think 3 weeks between races is perfect and 5 maybe a bit much .... 3 weeks give you just enough time to recover ,minimal training, and race again with huge residual fitness from the last IM...5 weeks is enough for recovery , but the training has to resume at a higher level or you will lose too much in 5 weeks??? But Dave Tallo did it with huge success 2 years ago... Either way I think the real key to back to back IM's is durability....
  • Options
    Kona will be my 6th ironman this year--tell me about recovery.Once you get up there I think 3 weeks between is fine---easy training inbetween or in my case a few local spints each weekend to keep the sharp end up --all the rest dead easy !!!! --andf I'm 61--not quite as old as Al !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    @ Eric....6 IMs in a year.  Wow!!  You ARE made of Iron.  Ok, I'll quit my bitching about 3 IMs in 13 weeks and suck it up.
  • Options
    @ Tim...thanks for your thoughts and Best of Luck at IMCHOO.  I will definately going with the 90% plan for Kona.  I did the bike FTP test this am, and was 15 watts lower than my pre-IM Mt Tremblant FTP (258 now, was 273).  That is 94.5% of before IMMT. 
  • Options
    My original plan was to go to Kona as a "Victory Lap" and as a RR for IMCoz (not quite Eric Blakie, but still 3 IM's in 3 months)... But after some soul searching, I just don't have it in me... I plan to go race Kona with guns blazing! I figure I may never get back there so I want to go down swinging (if my legs will cooperate that is). I'll now start thinking about IMCOZ a few weeks after Kona and just hope for the best. For me, it's one last week of training, then I lose my bike to TBT on Saturday afternoon.
  • Options

Posted By John Withrow on 16 Sep 2014 04:15 PM

My original plan was to go to Kona as a "Victory Lap" and as a RR for IMCoz (not quite Eric Blakie, but still 3 IM's in 3 months)... But after some soul searching, I just don't have it in me... I plan to go race Kona with guns blazing! I figure I may never get back there so I want to go down swinging (if my legs will cooperate that is). I'll now start thinking about IMCOZ a few weeks after Kona and just hope for the best. For me, it's one last week of training, then I lose my bike to TBT on Saturday afternoon.

There may be a sweet spot between "victory lap" and "guns blazing". Although after what you accomplished in MT, you've earned the right to do whatever you want. Still … the weather will be totally different, and that has an extraordinary impact on things, the combination of heat, wind force and direction, and humidity.

My first trip to the Big Dance, I went with a goal "Don't blow up on the run". I had the best possible race I could imagine at the time. It was an IM marathon PR for me at the time (since lowered by 20 minutes), and remains my best time in that race.

Every year, there are a number of world class pros who DNF or otherwise disappoint, presumably from trying to go all out and exceeding what Coach P calls the extraordinarily narrow bandwidth between success and flame out on that course. The year I DNF'd, I consoled myself with the knowledge that at least 5 previous Kona winners with 12 victories among them had also dropped out that day. Quoting from my race report (which I advise you read, to see what the carnage can be there to someone who was trying to push the limits, and should know better):

"About 200 people did not finish, for a drop out rate of over 10%, very unusual for the World Championships. I looked over the list of pros who did not finish. The list is a who’s who: Normann Stadler, Tim DeBoom, Thomas Hellriegel, Michelie Jones, Natascha Badmann, (all previous winners here, a total of twelve Kona victories), Yvonne Van Vlerken, Bella Bayliss, Belinda Granger, Bryan Rhodes, Marino Vanhoenacker, Courtney Ogden, Jasper Blake, Rutger Beke, Patrick Vernay, Jozsef Major, Gina Kehr, Heather Wuertle, Hilary Biscay, (all winners of Ironman races around the world.)

Van Hoenacker apparently stopped about the same place I did; I had picked him as a possible winner of the race. Bella Bayliss has at least 11 Ironman victories to her credit, in heat as bad or worse than this; I thought she might make a top five finish here. Bryan Rhodes is well known for winning multiple times in places like Malaysia, with worse conditions that Saturday’s. Really, ALL the people on that list up there should know better, having been here multiple times, and having been able to win races before.

I don’t know what all of their stories are, who had problems with fluid intake, or mental collapse after their pacing strategy didn’t work, or lost a fluid bottle with all their calories out on the road, or all of the other myriad “excuses” we use. In the end, I have to assume if one comes here to race, one intends to do well, and is not PLANNING on dropping out, or quitting if things get tough. But we all did. I can only analyze my race and determine what I should learn for next time."

John, I'm not trying to deflate you, I want you have the race of your life. I just want to inject a little realism, from one who went in with exactly the attitude you describe, and paid a price. It ain't like other races in other places.

• Options
    JW - IMO that would be a huge mistake - You are one BAMF no doubt but that weather will kill us all if were not careful.... I really liked your original plan as KONA would really prepare you for IMCOZ ! You've heard its not the destination but the journey? You already succeeded in the Journey.... The only way to see the destination you worked so hard to get to is to enjoy your day !
  • Options
    @Al and @Tim, "guns blazing" was probably the wrong term and I 100% respect that course. And let's be honest, 55-60 degrees at IMMT were IDEAL conditions for me. And I'm guessing the conditions in Kona will be, well, the opposite of ideal for big 'ol me. I will enjoy the whole week and I will take it all in. But my original plan was to take several extra minutes in transitions, then ride at like 0.65 IF and then run 6 miles and then dial it back and jog or run/walk. Really smiling and absorbing all the energy of the last mile and basically being fresh after the race (even more relaxed than what Al did at Canada last yr).

What I wanted to do with this post is be on record as to that NOT being the plan anymore (sorry Tim). I want to be honest with you all that if I'm walking the marathon it's because I gave it my all and cracked, not because I am saving myself or Coz. I am at a disadvantage because I am big (can't shed heat as easily) and because it's my first time on the course, and because I'm still not fully recovered from IMMT. I will be competing with guys in the XC that did their qualifying races in FL, AZ, and AUS last yr who have all had a full yr to prep and peak and taper just for this race. But I think "if" I can recapture the magic I stumbled across in IMMT (which is a big "if") that I have a legitimate shot of being in the top 5 of the XC. And a long shot of being in the Top 3... And at least a 10% chance of winning the whole thing. With odds that good, how can I not try to actually "Race" it and see what happens. The way I see it, if I can have a 10% chance of winning and maybe a 25% chance of being on the podium at the world Championships and ONLY risking a 75% probability of walking for 10-15 miles through the desert, well... I'm willing to take those odds!

And I do not mean that I will be stupid. But that I plan to swim as aggressive as IMMT. Not dilly-dally in Transitions, then try to hit 0.71-0.73 on my bike and just run to feel and hope for the best. I KNOW I will need to over-hydrate AND be all over my nutrition AND stay as cool as possible all day. I also know not to over-cook on the early part of the run. And slow my pace to the heat-adjusted one. I know how to race smart. But if the heat is gonna crush me, that's gonna happen even if I took my time through T1 and T2. It'll probably also get me on the run even if I ride to 0.65-0.67. But it "might" not get to me and I have to at least go for it, it's just how I'm wired. I trained and ate and lived an obsessive life for 2 yrs to get this chance and I would rather remember it afterwards as having given my all and suffered and had a chance to win, than to remember the smiles and fun of the entire day, preparing for IMCoz...
  • Options

@Al – Just read your race report and to me it really underscores the importance of racing with a plan and sticking to that plan.  While deviation on race day may be necessary, it’s certainly creates opportunities for your ego to insert itself and therein lies the risk of things going bad. 

Personally, I have not written out my race plan yet, but the theme for me is going to be all about balance.  Balance between truly racing and taking a victory lap.  Balance between respecting the course and the conditions but not racing scared or afraid.  I want to have a good race and believe I can, but at the same time I want to be realistic about my expectations.  After racing 70.3 worlds last week I had an amazing race for me, but still finished 64th in my age group.  In Kona I’ll be lucky to break the top hundred, so if I’m 100 vs 110 does it really matter if the risk is DNF at what might be my one and only shot to complete this race.  Sorry for all the  philosophizing!

• Options
    @ Mark and John...you both have very valid and intensely personal reasons for the way each of you is approaching this race.  I respect the choices each of you are making and hope that each of you has the race you envision for yourself. 
  • Options
    Good evening guys, I'm on the "just do it to enjoy every moment" plan. I never thought that I'd be here and racing in Kona. 6 years ago I did my first sprint triathlon and I never thought this possible, yet here I am. I am worried about going to hard as I tend to get caught up in the moment. Also the weather is going to be a huge challenge as I don't think that I've seen those types of conditions yet this year (cool summer). I want to run that final mile with a smile and I don't want to end up in the medical tent!!! (hasn't happened yet and I don't want this to be the first).

My fitness from IMMT is coming back for the bike & swim, but the run is taking a bit longer. This Thursday I'm doing the long run per the IM adv plan so that will tell me where I stand.

Mark - at dinner tonight, my son was also commenting on what I'm worried about, after all "it's not like your going to win Mom so stop worrying". Like of you, I would like to finish knowing that I did my best while enjoying the venue. Definitely a fine balancing act.
  • Options
    Just race your race and take what it gives you. I kept telling myself when it got tough heading up to Hawi in the winds, "#1 I'm in Hawaii, #2 I"m doing the IRONMAN"! Besides, we need another EN'r to be on the WTC's GoPro Ironman World Triathlon Championship webpage for the 2014-2015 years. The anticipation and the planning is part of the fun. GOOD LUCK and may the winds be at your back.
  • Options
    Great thread here. One of the things I'm noticing is the balance of expectations between the veterans who raced before, and the new folks who are there for the first time.

Having "being there" the temp Tatian is really high to pass on knowledge and experience. But for those who are new, the message sometimes isn't so clear.

My take away is this: you will want to race the race and you should try. But Kona is so different, that more often than not regular rules don't apply and you won't be able to race. It may take you several times there to be able to put together the race that you expect to have elsewhere.

This is part of the Luer of the event and the challenge. Quite frankly, it's appropriate that the world championships will be the hardest race that you've ever done.

As your friend and coach, I only hope that you have the perspective to appreciate the day and not let your performance in the moment cloud your experience.